• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Picked up Blokus. Seems like all the bad reviews are from literally one feature (blinking hints) that would be trivial to turn off. Interesting.

Nightfall connectivity/friends bug is fixed!

Went to check and can confirm, everybody celebrate!

blackflag

I'd agree with that, especially with async since there isn't a notes section and I'm not going to remember who was hit last when microturns take 1 hour+. Hell I don't even remember if I've been attacked in any particular game until the wounds start showing up in my draws.

If it was a game where we were all there from start to finish then I don't think it would be a problem though.

I agree with this. Anytime I plan on playing straight through to the end, I like wounds hidden but for those games I expect to last awhile, I need to know the wounds cuz I'd have several games going.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Time to lockdown the spreadsheet...

Smiley90

Sorry for all the invites that I'm not accepting, but the next two weeks I have finals and don't wanna have too many games open at once :p 4 per game is enough for now LOL. I'll accept the old invites once my current games are done, I promise! :x

Smiley90

Someone talk me out of buying an actual copy of Ascension and its expansions. Seriously, my wallet

like, a PHYSICAL version? How much does that cost?

as a sidenote, where's the best place to buy Boardgames (online, where?) in Canada? Amazon? Not that I had anyone to play with in real life anyway... :'(

tm24

like, a PHYSICAL version? How much does that cost?

as a sidenote, where's the best place to buy Boardgames (online, where?) in Canada? Amazon? Not that I had anyone to play with in real life anyway... :'(

Physical version! I want to pull it out when people are over! would set me back 80 bucks or so i think

And i just check BGG marketplace

Smiley90

God I am awful at hero acedemy

:D Don't feel too bad.

w87uP.png

Bochh.png

Dat streak. -brag-

blackflag

good games!

you almost pulled it out on that last one !
it was a close one there

That one was closer but not until the last 2 turns. I don't think I'll ever recover from that first beat down though.

My discard choice on the 2nd game sucked. I either had to pass you the dude that goes back in your hand or the unblockable. I probably should have gotten rid of the other one.

mercviper

5 til you won. I swear if HA had cards instead of awesomely animated little dudes, i would be so much better at it

Did we break 5 yet?

Gonna have to apologize for my blokus entry on the spreadsheet. I didn't realize it was a non game center app til just now when I tried to go online and send invites.

tm24

Did we break 5 yet?

Gonna have to apologize for my blokus entry on the spreadsheet. I didn't realize it was a non game enter app til just now when I tried to go online and send invites.
We're at 5. You're winning 3-2. Seriously, ascension is crack. I should be reading the Odyssey right now, but nope, I'm playing the shit out of ascension

I really don't like base ascension anymore, I feel like the expansion got rid of a lot of the problems I had with the base game, I strictly play rotf now, unless it's a 3 or 4 player game.

It's really annoying how i cant play ascension and nightfall at work! Our network must be set up in some shitty way, I won't complain thoug, because we didn't even have wifi uptill about a month ago. What's extra shitty, is I still get the updates telling me it's my turn! Blarg!

Smiley90

I really don't like base ascension anymore, I feel like the expansion got rid of a lot of the problems I had with the base game, I strictly play rotf now, unless it's a 3 or 4 player game.

It's really annoying how i cant play ascension and nightfall at work! Our network must be set up in some shitty way, I won't complain thoug, because we didn't even have wifi uptill about a month ago. What's extra shitty, is I still get the updates telling me it's my turn! Blarg!

You get updates from the game but can't connect to the server? That's odd, because the server must be somehow connecting with you if you get the turn-messages oO...

We're at 5. You're winning 3-2. Seriously, ascension is crack. I should be reading the Odyssey right now, but nope, I'm playing the shit out of ascension

I should be reading PolSci or Biochem... but I'm playing Hero Academy instead. I know the feeling.

mercviper

Man, I thought I was way behind you that game astrolad :eek: your deck just seemed to be a lot more efficient

Edit: lol wow smiley that last turn came outta nowhere :/

Smiley90

Man, I thought I was way behind you that game astrolad :eek: your deck just seemed to be a lot more efficient

Edit: lol wow smiley that last turn came outta nowhere :/

LOL I know, it was like.. "hey, i can play this.. and this... and this and this and this"

You get updates from the game but can't connect to the server? That's odd, because the server must be somehow connecting with you if you get the turn-messages oO...

I should be reading PolSci or Biochem... but I'm playing Hero Academy instead. I know the feeling.

Same here. Ascension and Draw Something do the same thing. Tell me it's my turn then time out connecting to the server. They must be using ports that the firewall blocks by default.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Actually took turns during lunch and was fully caught up at 1 PDT. Get home at 9:30 PDT and have 46 turns waiting for me. Wonder how it's going to look when I miss a whole day or two!

mercviper

Messed around with invites in blokus hd, seems you can't have a private game so while you can invite players, it might fill up faster than they can join. Also has a max time limit of 60 seconds per turn, so I don't think it'll be asynchronous. Makes me sad.

No, only when I lose is it like Mario Party. When I win it is the result of careful planning and tactical cunning.

lol, I think I'm the greatest Mario Party player of all time. We used to play in college and I somehow always came out on top.

Also, I want to play Hero Academy, but I want a tutorial mode, or an offline mode so I can learn to play :(

I really want to play Nightfall, but I just haven't had the time to learn it.

I bough the physical copy of base Ascension, but have not had the chance to teach my girlfriend how to play it.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I'm having too much fun with Ascension and Hero Academy to take the time to learn Nightfall. I want to get into it because it sounds fun, but it's not exactly jumping out at me.

Need to read about it on BGG or just dig through the official rules instead of the video.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'm still not entirely sure how to have minions out in Nightfall. I see when other people have them up at the top, but I'm not sure whether I've got my guys out there too. Or what they actually do, to be honest. Might need another read through the tutorial/rules. On the plus side I've won a couple of matches through blind luck so I don't feel like it's a complete waste of time!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm still not entirely sure how to have minions out in Nightfall. I see when other people have them up at the top, but I'm not sure whether I've got my guys out there too. Or what they actually do, to be honest. Might need another read through the tutorial/rules. On the plus side I've won a couple of matches through blind luck so I don't feel like it's a complete waste of time!

You play minions as part of your chain (or someone else's) along with action cards. If they survive to come off the chain they go as minions onto your board and can be used for defense (some must absorb like the yellow werewolf guy). Whatever minions are still on your board at the beginning of your turn go out and attack first thing -- you get to assign. The UI for seeing minions vs your hand is a little confusing, basically just tap those little cards next to your avatar to alternate. Tap on individual players and you will see their minions as well (there's also a little number below each avatar saying # of minions currently out.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
You play minions as part of your chain (or someone else's) along with action cards. If they survive to come off the chain they go as minions onto your board and can be used for defense (some must absorb like the yellow werewolf guy). Whatever minions are still on your board at the beginning of your turn go out and attack first thing -- you get to assign. The UI for seeing minions vs your hand is a little confusing, basically just tap those little cards next to your avatar to alternate. Tap on individual players and you will see their minions as well (there's also a little number below each avatar saying # of minions currently out.
Ahhhh. I think I get it. Thanks!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I've been using my Twitter a bit more for communication recently. If you want to ping me re board-game stuff you can hit me up here or there. Figure it might be good for the many games that unfortunately don't have chat. @astrolad

heringer

Speaking of chat, how come PlayDeck games don't have one? Such a basic feature, and easy to implement I would think. I heard they were planning on adding chat to Ascension... I guess not.

I've been using my Twitter a bit more for communication recently. If you want to ping me re board-game stuff you can hit me up here or there. Figure it might be good for the many games that unfortunately don't have chat. @astrolad

I'll send a follow request. I don't use my GAF name on twitter, but you should be able to figure it out that it's me for obvious reasons.

Man, I just cannot get into Nightfall. I looooooved Ascension. Loved it. But with Nightfall, I seem to just want games to be over and done with. It's gotten a little better now that I've won once or twice, but still my hearts not in it.

Anyone else?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Man, I just cannot get into Nightfall. I looooooved Ascension. Loved it. But with Nightfall, I seem to just want games to be over and done with. It's gotten a little better now that I've won once or twice, but still my hearts not in it.

Anyone else?

Yup.

Top Bottom