• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So I'm a bit confused about GC invites. Does it not actually send when you hit Send but only after you it Play now? It would actually be WAAAY better if you could add and remove people depending on who responds but when I Send but then not Play Now it seems to disappear.

Only getting Nightfall games that were 4-5 people and not being able to start my own games, was buggin the shit outa me, haha.

sooooooooo, I deleted some people from my GameCentre list, sorry if I deleted you! I just went by similar games, and if you only had 1 or 2 similar games that I like to play then I removed you. Im an ass, and im sorry ! :p

All these games are starting to get out of hand though, I might have to stop playing a few!

Quasar

It's pretty good on iPad. I wouldn't quite say everything is where you expect it to be but after a couple games it's all very accessible. It's the tutorial that sucks (imo).

Yeah. Having bought it and never having played any deck building game: physical or digital before, I've found it pretty hard to get my head around. To the point where I'm thinking trying to buy the physical game would probably make it easier for me to get the hang of.

blackflag

Just had a pretty sick last turn on Nightfall. Game wasn't even close but it was still rad. He played 2 minions on his chain, I responded with flank attack, then put a couple minions in the chain and ended with leave me with the kicker. So it resolves and I target my flank attack doubling it then make both of his minions unresolved. I end up with 3 minions on my side with none on his to attack and end the game. He took 21 damage and only dealt 1 that game. Stomped him good.

Game is so freakin awesome. WiSh I could save game replays.

blackflag

Anyone ever try Titan hd? Looks interesting but I'm wary of complicated looking games ever since I bought Caylus. I still don't understand that one.

Also looking at puerto Rico and forbidden island but I'm not sure if the tutorials are good.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I have Titan HD. Still need to go through the tutorial though -- believe there's a regular one and a video one.

Anyone ever try Titan hd? Looks interesting but I'm wary of complicated looking games ever since I bought Caylus. I still don't understand that one.

Also looking at puerto Rico and forbidden island but I'm not sure if the tutorials are good.

Ive got Titan HD, ive played a few games against the AI, I wouldnt say its very complicated, but it was hard to win, haha.

You basically just roll a die, and move around a map collecting people for your army, and then when that army gets to big, you split it into 2 armies and continue moving around the board to get more minions to make those armies bigger, and so on. Where it becomes awesome though, is when you get into battle with another team, it turns into a fairly basic but still really fun strategy/tactical rpg like FF Tactics or something. You choose where your guys go, and who attacks what on this hexed out grid. But what I find really cool, is that each area on the main map is one of 5 or 6 different battle map layouts, so depending on where your standing when you get attacked, or where the enemy is when you attack them, battles can play out totally different depending on what you have on attack, or they have on defense.

Like I said, I havent played too much of it, because its not online yet. But what ive played so far is pretty simple, pretty deep, and loads of fun. I cant wait for the online update, which hopefully will be soon.

Did you figure out if it's even possible to have a 3-4p game? I thought you mentioned it didn't work or something but I also vaguely remember us being in one.

Don't think that was me, but I think if we try, we should all meet up in a chat somewhere and coordinate stuff!

Also, I don't know what trutony's name in samurai is, I wanted to make a 3 player game.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Did you figure out if it's even possible to have a 3-4p game? I thought you mentioned it didn't work or something but I also vaguely remember us being in one.

We totally just had 2 3p-games going at the same time, so it worked? We got partial victories in both... One way better (4500 points) and one worse (1500 points). Straight-up wins are harder with the turn-limit to stabilize all regions, but worth a shot :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Finally got a chance to play Hero Academy -- good stuff! Is there any sort of long-term rewards/persistence or is it basically just one-off games? If anyone especially noobs wants a game hit me up.

Smiley90

Finally got a chance to play Hero Academy -- good stuff! Is there any sort of long-term rewards/persistence or is it basically just one-off games? If anyone especially noobs wants a game hit me up.

What's your Hero Academy nick? And nope, it's just one-off games, nothing else. "just". It's a ridiculous amount of fun though. ;)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What's your Hero Academy nick? And nope, it's just one-off games, nothing else. "just". It's a ridiculous amount of fun though. ;)

can you try it i sent invites to you two and yet when i hit start it just starts a 2p game for some reason

Smiley90

can you try it i sent invites to you two and yet when i hit start it just starts a 2p game for some reason

wait what are you talking about now? Eradicate?

EDIT: Got the Eradicate invite no problem, and it tells me it's a 3p game (because next turn isn't yours but Ray Spencer's)

tm24

Lets do this! Buy the dwarves since they're on sale and it gets rid of the ads!

We need a place to chat in real time about how we win.

Also, playing all these games is hard work! I woke up today to 19 notifications in games, and ive been making sure to keep all my games at a minimum! CRAZY I TELL YOU.

Smiley90

We need a place to chat in real time about how we win.

Also, playing all these games is hard work! I woke up today to 19 notifications in games, and ive been making sure to keep all my games at a minimum! CRAZY I TELL YOU.

Tell me about it. Also, no idea how to win this, I'm thinking we'd need more commanders to win so we can hold more cities and once, which makes it easier to get to 5 of one region via trading, no? Or just focus on one region after the other and push for it, stabilize it, then move on really fast, while trying to contain all the worst infections...

EDIT: Also, AstroLad, we still need your Hero Academy nick.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
same for me

in eradicate the goal is cure cure cure sorry stabilize stabilize stabilize. while keeping outbreaks under control enough that they don't trigger endgame. if you luck into an eradication then great.

you also have to use the special cards opportunistically

Smiley90

same for me

in eradicate the goal is cure cure cure sorry stabilize stabilize stabilize. while keeping outbreaks under control enough that they don't trigger endgame. if you luck into an eradication then great.

you also have to use the special cards opportunistically

I can't create a game with you, it gives me an error (I've been having server probs with Hero Academy for the past few days), send me an invite or so, it's Smiley90.

GG Astro, you destroyed me, thats forsure. haha.

Taking me a while to feel confident in what im doing in this game, seems pretty challenging to figure out. Practice practice!

octobot

I also picked up Titan, and I really like it. There is a decent tutorial video (it's also on YouTube I think I linked it in this thread or the boardgame one) lays out the rules and goes through the game. It's a fun game and not difficult, but it's complexity comes from the options you choose each turn (ie do I split my army now, what route do I take, can that opponent get to my Titan this turn, etc). Games can go pretty quick since all it takes is for your Titan to get killed and you lose, but that's part of the challenge of the game.

cant wait for when they patch multiplayer.

heringer

Ok, now I can say I have a good grip on Nightfall mechanics.

Though I still not sure about viable strategies. So for now I'm completely relying on luck.

On anther note, anyone interested in games like Combat Mission? I bought it a couple of days ago and it's pretty fun. Still needs quite a bit of polishing, but I've heard the 1.1 update is on its way.

Edit: ok, I'm confused. Playing against the medium AI I started a chain with 2 Enraged Wight, then the AI chained another 2 Enraged Wight. Naturally, his two cards resolved first, but instead of wounding me, the AI used the first Order to wound itselft and the second resolved Order to wound me. Is there any advantage in wounding yourself?

deim0s

Nightfall:

Was surprised that attackers that get blocked (or something) gets exiled somehow? Any conditions, I thought attacking is safe?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Edit: ok, I'm confused. Playing against the medium AI I started a chain with 2 Enraged Wight, then the AI chained another 2 Enraged Wight. Naturally, his two cards resolved first, but instead of wounding me, the AI used the first Order to wound itselft and the second resolved Order to wound me. Is there any advantage in wounding yourself?

Maybe this is an easy AI behavior? Not aware of any cards in the base set that give you benefits for getting hurt.

Nightfall:

Was surprised that attackers that get blocked (or something) gets exiled somehow? Any conditions, I thought attacking is safe?
Attackers don't take damage in an attack, but your yellow start cards get exiled once they are resolved after being put into play (note that this does not include discards or other card-removal effects).

Why are you guys hiding from me? I had no idea this existed.
Welcome! Been trying to post about it in the iOS, Carc, & BG threads -- you need to read those on the daily! (Well not the Carc one anymore.)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Are you sure?

I have never tried Hero Academy. Is it hard to get into? I dont like that there is no single player component to try before jumping in to an online match.

I felt the same way until I realized it's almost stupidly easy. Also they have a manual up on their site. My only qualm is that I wish damage was a bit variable, but I'm a big fan of luck in games. :D

tm24

Are you sure?

I have never tried Hero Academy. Is it hard to get into? I dont like that there is no single player component to try before jumping in to an online match.

It's basically an SRPG. The board game element of the game basically comes from the fact that you have a "deck" of 20 "cards" and a "hand" of 5 "cards". The fun comes in choosing which of your heroes youll level up with the upgrade cards. Then its a matter of choosing whether to destroy your opponent or his crystals

Heel

Going to remove Army of Frogs from the spreadsheet as it seems there is no way to invite friends, making its inclusion pointless. We can add it back in if they update it like Neuroshima Hex.

CzarTim

Are you sure?
We'll never know :p
It's basically an SRPG. The board game element of the game basically comes from the fact that you have a "deck" of 20 "cards" and a "hand" of 5 "cards". The fun comes in choosing which of your heroes youll level up with the upgrade cards. Then its a matter of choosing whether to destroy your opponent or his crystals
Also, understanding the strengths and weaknesses of each team is hugely important.

blackflag

I also picked up Titan, and I really like it. There is a decent tutorial video (it's also on YouTube I think I linked it in this thread or the boardgame one) lays out the rules and goes through the game. It's a fun game and not difficult, but it's complexity comes from the options you choose each turn (ie do I split my army now, what route do I take, can that opponent get to my Titan this turn, etc). Games can go pretty quick since all it takes is for your Titan to get killed and you lose, but that's part of the challenge of the game.

cant wait for when they patch multiplayer.

I actually grabbed it. It does have a great tutorial. I probably would have waited if I knew it was only single player for now but I didn't think to check. Still need to finish the tutorial.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I should actually read card abilities before playing cards in Nightfall har. I just like to make big combos, even to my huge detriment.

blackflag

Ok, now I can say I have a good grip on Nightfall mechanics.

Though I still not sure about viable strategies. So for now I'm completely relying on luck.

On anther note, anyone interested in games like Combat Mission? I bought it a couple of days ago and it's pretty fun. Still needs quite a bit of polishing, but I've heard the 1.1 update is on its way.

The ai is just astoundingly bad. It'll damage itself all the time. I love the game but it is a good thing it has multiplayer. Even ai on hardest is simple to beat.

blackflag

Yeah it's basically a clone of summoner wars with not as many mechanics. Omg can't wait until summoner wars comes out. It'll probably be a couple months still. Even better since playdek is porting it.

sladeums

Anyone up for 3-player match Nightfall now ?

I have several going, but none of the participants ever appear to be online simultaneously

tm24

Yeah it's basically a clone of summoner wars with not as many mechanics. Omg can't wait until summoner wars comes out. It'll probably be a couple months still. Even better since playdek is porting it.

I just looked into Summoner Wars and holy shit it seems amazing. And i'll buy anything Playdek does. But with all these games coming out, that just means i have to wait for the Storm of Souls expansion for Ascension even longer :(

sladeums

I just looked into Summoner Wars and holy shit it seems amazing. And i'll buy anything Playdek does. But with all these games coming out, that just means i have to wait for the Storm of Souls expansion for Ascension even longer :(

Playdek has indicated Summoner Wars and the Ascension expansion are running parellel and should be released very closely together.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
GG AstroLad!

I'm realizing that playing 1vs1 is RADICALLY different than playing multiple opponents in Nightfall.

Hahah yeah. Oh man I torpedoed myself so many turns just going "ooh, combo." Lesson learned! I'm glad I got at least a couple points of damage in at the end to save a little bit of face. :p

heringer

Hahah yeah. Oh man I torpedoed myself so many turns just going "ooh, combo." Lesson learned! I'm glad I got at least a couple points of damage in at the end to save a little bit of face. :p

Hah, I did a few dumb moves myself, but got lucky they didn't damaged me too much. It's hard to resist chaining a bunch of cards, then you realize you're just damaging yourself. :p

It was cool when you passed the chance to chain. If you did, I think the game would likely end there, as I had a hand full of minions to chain. It's cool to notice that sometimes not chaining is an important strategy too.

Call me for a 3, 4 or 5 players game later (I don't have many players on my list to start that myself).

tm24

Playdek has indicated Summoner Wars and the Ascension expansion are running parellel and should be released very closely together.

Awesome! How big is Playdek anyways? They have like 3 games coming out in the next 3-4 months it seems

Top Bottom