• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Just got the Ascension expansion...getting used to the new cards.

The new Fate cards make watching the computer's turn a total shitstorm. Cards flying all over the place, cards being taken from my construct pile, me being asked to discard, buying from the void, banishing adjacent cards...MADNESS

Going to take a handful of games to figure out my new cadence and strategy. Looks great, though.

Need to read up on this Nightfall game. The iOS screenshots look awesome.

Heel

For my cheapskate board gaming friends on iPad: Verizon Deluxe Leather Tablet Sleeve With Front Pocket for $2.99 shipped.

I picked this up when they had a 2 pack for the same price (???). Great fit even with a smart cover on.

7oyCf.jpg

sladeums

For my cheapskate board gaming friends on iPad: Verizon Deluxe Leather Tablet Sleeve With Front Pocket for $2.99 shipped.

I picked this up when they had a 2 pack for the same price (???). Great fit even with a smart cover on.

seconded

i have one of these as well for laying around the house and it is perfect.
not a ton of protection, but perfect for everyday average use.
very light weight also.

fits my iPad w/ Gelaskin skin on perfectly.

that front pocket, however, would be hard pressed to fit more than a pack of gum.

Heel

that front pocket, however, would be hard pressed to fit more than a pack of gum.

Haha I know right? You might be able to barely, and I mean barely, fit the wall charger and cable in there. Just the cable is perfect though. Happy with it for the price for sure.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I need more practice in samurai, that's for sure. Heh. It's fun thoug, because it's super basic and easy to understand, but there is some crazy strategies that can change everything so quick. Good game Astro.

Yeah man that was actually a pretty crazy finish. I had forgotten that 4 ties triggers game end but I guess it was fortunate for me. I've always thought that game looked kinda goofy but it's actually pretty nice on the iPad. Nicer than I expected in terms of resolution. I'm up for games anytime y'all. It's not GC invites (which might be a good thing) but my username is AstroLad. Samurai 4P games are pretty fun even though I'm no pro at abstracts.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If you are playing games with GC invites (TTR, Eradicate) be sure to check your notifications bar not just the icon (or even the app itself)!

Also are the Nightfall servers working consistently for anyone? I have invites and games just waiting for me in there but can't connect.

mercviper

If you are playing games with GC invites (TTR, Eradicate) be sure to check your notifications bar not just the icon (or even the app itself)!

Also are the Nightfall servers working consistently for anyone? I have invites and games just waiting for me in there but can't connect.

I haven't had any problems. Slowly playing a game against yaboosh and bigwinnerx.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Kinda lovin Nightfall right now. You definitely have to play it 5+ times before I feel you can even form a real opinion on it. Really interesting mechanics.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Wow...that tutorial for Nightfall was pretty bad. It runs you through a few hands but doesn't explain why you're really doing anything it's asking you to do.

Going to have to read up on BGG, but the interface looks slick.

tm24

Wow...that tutorial for Nightfall was pretty bad. It runs you through a few hands but doesn't explain why you're really doing anything it's asking you to do.

Yeah, very much so. I had no idea why the game kept taking me between certain things

Heel

Anyone's alerts in Carc a little screwy? Not sure if it's just since the update or what. Sometimes I have a badge on the icon indicating a move is waiting, but there is none. Then I'll have a meeple in the cog for "next turn" but it will go to a game where it isn't my turn.

tm24

Anyone's alerts in Carc a little screwy? Not sure if it's just since the update or what. Sometimes I have a badge on the icon indicating a move is waiting, but there is none. Then I'll have a meeple in the cog for "next turn" but it will go to a game where it isn't my turn.

I got the same thing. I see my meeple there and when i go in im always waiting for the person before me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Yep it seems like it should be a good tutorial but the concepts are just not well presented at all. Once you read the real manual and play through a few hands you'll definitely think of a better way they could have presented it in about 5m.

Heel

Probably just finished my last game on Carc until I get my new iPad in. My first 3 player win...woo!

Seeing a correlation: the more Carc games I'm involved with the lower my ELO is dropping. Ha!

Were you yellow? One of the last tiles you got was a curved road that would've connected your field at the bottom to more cities. I was sweating on that move! Not sure if it would've got you the win though. Close one!

Probably just finished my last game on Carc until I get my new iPad in. My first 3 player win...woo!

Were you yellow? One of the last tiles you got was a curved road that would've connected your field at the bottom to more cities. I was sweating on that move! Not sure if it would've got you the win though. Close one!

Ah dang, I was in a hurry for that move. Ugh. Ignorance was bliss ;)

Can't play Carc while in between things, I see.

I had a epic field battle last night with some guys. I thought I sealed a 24 point field with some amazing moves....then a dude throws a hailmary at the end and snags everything with his last tile. Awesome game though.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Tried to join the Caylus game, but I can't find it ingame? How do I join?

Also, LOVING Nightfall, played it all evening yesterday, finally got the hang of it. The tutorial wasn't THAT useful, but there's a great 17-page-manual included, everyone should check that out, it was way more helpful. Tutorial-Manual-Practice Games and you have it down. I love how you can plan ahead for chains, but unfortunately the card variety isn't thaaaat big so most chains don't work perfectly well, especially when I aim for kickers and there's no cards that would work :( (e.g. a red card with a blue kicker, when there is no blue card that I can chain a red one to or sth.)

Also, Nightfall servers still not working for me at all, sorry those who offered games with me :/

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Yep it seems like it should be a good tutorial but the concepts are just not well presented at all. Once you read the real manual and play through a few hands you'll definitely think of a better way they could have presented it in about 5m.

Here, fuck it (though this isn't a replacement for the real manual):
-You start out the game with 12 basic cards (2 copies of 6 different weak cards in each of the 6 colors actually).
-At the beginning of the game and at the end of every turn, you draw your hand up to five cards from your draw deck.
-Then you perform all of the phases in order: Combat, Chain, Claim, Cleanup.
-Combat:
Let's skip for now even though it does come first because on Turn 1 you won't have any minions in play to engage in combat.

-Chain:
Funnest part of the game! The cards you have remaining in your hand (if any) you can play to the table. Each card has a big moon -- that is the card's color -- and a little moon or two -- that is what other cards that card can chain into. So I can play a card with a big purple moon and little red and yellow moons, and then if I have any cards with big red or yellow moons I can play one of those, and so forth until I can't "chain" anymore or I don't want to. Now is where it gets even snazzier: Going clockwise from you others can join your chain following the same rules you did and adding to the stack. Just like P1, you can add as many cards as you can chain or want to chain and then once you're done you're done for that round. Then the stack is resolved starting with the last-added card.

Here's a good place to talk about the two different kinds of cards (all cards = "orders") -- Minions & Actions. Minions resolve their chain effects when they come off the stack and then go into your "in play" area to both defend (if you want) and attack at start of your turn (mandatory). Actions just resolve and go to your discard.

Two other notes: "Kickers" mean that if you chain off a card and its main color is the color of the kicker, you get that bonus event. Actions that say "Your Chain" only give you the benefit when you play them on your turn, not others' chains. (The red start guy is like this.), but they still go to your in play area no matter what if they're minions (red start guy).

-Claim:
Buy cards! You can buy cards from your private archives or from the common archives -- as many as you can afford. You pay with "influence" which you get two of for free every buy phase -- and then you can discard cards in hand to get more influence to buy better stuff. The max price I think is 4, so you can often buy a couple cards every Claim phase. Try to get some decent chains going so you don't get stuck often. Everything you buy goes to the top of your discard, which gets reshuffled whenever you run out of cards in your draw deck (which will be many times a game). So you don't get them right away, but often pretty soon.

-Cleanup:
Draw back up to 5. If you have 1 card you held onto (didn't discard for influence), you draw 4, and so forth.

-Combat:
Remember this happens at the beginning of your turn! So as described under Chain you put Minions out to fight for you. Let's say I put two dudes out that have attack 3 and health 2 on a chain phase. They survive and the turn comes all the way back to me. Now I have to send them out to attack others. I get to choose which opponent they attack. Attack is simple -- send a guy out and the target has to decide whether to block (with his in-play minions) or eat the damage. Every point of damage that gets through gives a wound card, and of course person with the fewest wound cards at end of game wins. Then attackers get discarded (attackers never take damage). Blockers get discarded if their health goes to 0, or stick around if not.

Game ends when the wound pile has run out.

hth!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So Nightfall online games now work for me I just can't start any myself since I can't get my friends list to populate. Getting there though....

I heard from Flynn that Tigris & Euphrates notifications might be a little jank, so here's the people I sent invites to:

Game 1:
Flynn
Diesel Pioneer

Game 2:
mercviper
jtmontgo
diesel pioneer

game 3:
bigwinnerx
mercviper
squirrel killer

game 4:
smiley1790
bigwinnerx
chicobalay

check yo app!

mercviper

Tried to join the Caylus game, but I can't find it ingame? How do I join?

Also, LOVING Nightfall, played it all evening yesterday, finally got the hang of it. The tutorial wasn't THAT useful, but there's a great 17-page-manual included, everyone should check that out, it was way more helpful. Tutorial-Manual-Practice Games and you have it down. I love how you can plan ahead for chains, but unfortunately the card variety isn't thaaaat big so most chains don't work perfectly well, especially when I aim for kickers and there's no cards that would work :( (e.g. a red card with a blue kicker, when there is no blue card that I can chain a red one to or sth.)

Also, Nightfall servers still not working for me at all, sorry those who offered games with me :/

I think I filled the last spot on that caylus. I've read through the manual and tutorial twice and I still don't understand how to play really.

Edit: gottheshakes: damn that avatar of the fallen showing up at the last second to give you a 1 point win!!!

Wow, great game of Ascension mercviper. I finally have a weekend with nothing to do so anyone feel free to send me Carc or Ascension invites. I probably ought to learn Nightfall while I have the time too.

mercviper

Wow, great game of Ascension mercviper. I finally have a weekend with nothing to do so anyone feel free to send me Carc or Ascension invites. I probably ought to learn Nightfall while I have the time too.

Revenge! Game three commencing! This time I remembered to add the expansion.

blackflag

Astrolad, I randomly played you in nightfall and you destroyed me. I'll get better lol. Need to add myself to the spreadsheet.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
wow Merc amazing last turn of Nightfall there

Astrolad, I randomly played you in nightfall and you destroyed me. I'll get better lol. Need to add myself to the spreadsheet.
That was my first online game! Felt like I fell behind early a little but managed to rally. I was looking at the games and I swear like half of them were people from this thread hahah. add me to your GC too.

people are gonna have to invite me to Nightfall games b/c i think i have the bug referenced above where you can't send out invites if you have over X friends :/

mercviper

wow Merc amazing last turn of Nightfall there

That was my first online game! Felt like I fell behind early a little but managed to rally. I was looking at the games and I swear like half of them were people from this thread hahah. add me to your GC too.

people are gonna have to invite me to Nightfall games b/c i think i have the bug referenced above where you can't send out invites if you have over X friends :/

Yeah, nice play with the death grip. I'm still getting the hang of the deck building in this game.

Loving this thread so far. Ton of carc games going on as a direct result of the people in this thread.

Even snagged that iPad pouch on th cheap. Thanks, heel!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I saw that come through a couple of days ago, but haven't accepted since I still need to run through the tutorial to learn how to play. I didn't realize it was a 4P game, I'll get on it.

Ah no, no worries or rush at all. I do the same all the time. Just wanted to flag it in case the invites didn't go through or disappeared or something.

Smiley90

In Nightfall? For me at least it always fails the first time but then works fine the second. Every time.

Nope, fails every time. I'd probably have friendlist errors anyway though (I did for Ascension and still do for food fight), so I just hope they fix both first... Or AT LEAST the servers...

EDIT: NEVERMIND, second time worked, yay! No friendlist, but I hve like four invites (hurray), i'll accept them as soon as I get home tonight ;) please keep invitig me as I cant invite myself :p

Yep, this happened when they released the ascension expansion, too. They broke large friends lists. And I'm not trimming 200 people to start games. :)

You'd think they woulda sorted that out for these later games, haha oh well. I'm still learning everything, so I don't really care yet.

mercviper

One gripe about nightfall, and maybe I'm wrong, but I cant pull up the common card piles outside of the claim phase and it really annoys me that I can't look at them and plan ahead. :/

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
One gripe about nightfall, and maybe I'm wrong, but I cant pull up the common card piles outside of the claim phase and it really annoys me that I can't look at them and plan ahead. :/

Should be under "Archives" on the bottom middle next to Menu.

Smiley90

There is an "archive" button on the bottom left, next to menu, won't that bring it up?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
No prob!

Time to say goodbye to the iPad for a week or two while I wait for a 32GB. This is going to suck. Never would've thought so until I got one. Thing is so awesome!

waaaat

i thought you were going on some exotic vacation or something. this is totally unacceptable

Smiley90

waaaat

i thought you were going on some exotic vacation or something. this is totally unacceptable

LOL. Also, how come only zombie horde is on/off for singleplayer, but multiplayer has two more promo-cards? (also, at least one of them is crazy OP)

Top Bottom