• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

mercviper

Went ahead and got Nightfall since everyone is raving about it! I hope the tutorial isn't as bad as some people have said.
To be honest, I didn't think it was too bad. It covers all the mechanics once and then throws you to the wolves in terms of strategy. Which is fine by me as far as tutorials go.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It could be a lot better in terms of explanations, but I'm one who loves to learn the whole game from the tutorial if possible, so dsfdf. Once you learn the game though it's a ton of fun imo.

It could be a lot better in terms of explanations, but I'm one who loves to learn the whole game from the tutorial if possible, so dsfdf. Once you learn the game though it's a ton of fun imo.

I'm really digging the chain mechanic. Plus I'm a sucker for deck building games

Heel

waaaat

i thought you were going on some exotic vacation or something. this is totally unacceptable

ifaOYZYzmnLj1.jpg

Card Boy

Banned
I have played/got lineup 20 matches in Hero Academy and I'm doing poorly in all of them. I won one by default because some guy didn't submit a turn.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
triphibian, where did your minions suddenly go, I had nothing to target but my own fuuudge.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
What the...Hero Academy released a universal app like 3 days ago?! Now I can finally check out what everyone's been talking about! Wasn't about to play a game on my phone like a peasant...

Bleh! A 4 person nightfall game, and a 5 person nightfall game! Too many! I wish I could start my own matches :p

Back when ascension had this issue I just removed 10ish people from my list to get below 50, now I would have to remove 50 people, and that's just a lot of work! Though maybe I should just remove everyone a start from scratch to make sure I just have active people on there anyway.

Hmmmmmm.

Just added myself to the spreadsheet. I currently own Ascension and Hero Academy and can play ok in both. I'm still trying to get thru the Nightfall Tutorial. I am gonna power through though because of all the positive press for Nightfall. That, and I already bought it so....

Bleh! A 4 person nightfall game, and a 5 person nightfall game! Too many! I wish I could start my own matches :p

Back when ascension had this issue I just removed 10ish people from my list to get below 50, now I would have to remove 50 people, and that's just a lot of work! Though maybe I should just remove everyone a start from scratch to make sure I just have active people on there anyway.

Hmmmmmm.

I was actually thinking about doing the same thing. My friends list ballooned to over 150, and it's just mostly people that randomly found me. It does seem like a lot of work to unfriend like 100 people.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Not touchin my friends list just because with the spreadsheet I've added people I removed before thinking they were inactive.

One thing that might help though is maybe figure out people on the spreadsheet who are being unresponsive maybe at least keep that pure then.

heringer

Went ahead and got Nightfall since everyone is raving about it! I hope the tutorial isn't as bad as some people have said.

It's baaaaad. Or maybe I'm just too dumb, because I couldn't understand the mechanics (even on basic levels) by going through it once. I will try again later.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Someone start a 3-4p GAF game of Nightfall w/ draft. I take it back I think 3+ could actually be quite fun.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
My personal favs right now (can't really speak to the CCGs):

Board Games (Light)
Carcassonne / BGG Link / Appshopper link (the all-timer, listed here just for clarity)
Ticket to Ride / TTR Pocket / BGG Link / TtR Appshopper Link / TtR Pocket Appshopper Link (pick up the pocket edition, which has async, unless you plan on playing lots of local play (iPad version is quite pretty))
Samurai / BGG Link / Appshopper Link

Board Games (Medium)
Ascension: BGG Link / Appshopper Link
Neuroshima Hex / BGG Link / Appshoper Link (no online yet but still fun to learn and play -- online should be coming soon)
Nightfall / BGG Link / Appshopper Link (a bit tough to learn at first -- but worth it imo -- love both this and Ascension as card games)

Board Games (Heavy)
Tigris & Euphrates / BGG Link / Appshopper Link

Heel

what games should i buy?

Can't go wrong with Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride if you're a beginner. Dead simple to learn, very fun, active online communities and very well-made apps.

People always say Ascension too but I haven't tried it yet. Do you guys think Dominion will be a better introduction to card style games once it comes out?

Smiley90

In Nightfall, is it possible to extend other people's chains in 3/4/5p as well, or does that only work in 2p? How does it work, just clockwise chance to extend, or player1, then player2, then player3, etc...?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
In Nightfall, is it possible to extend other people's chains in 3/4/5p as well, or does that only work in 2p? How does it work, just clockwise chance to extend, or player1, then player2, then player3, etc...?

Correct you can add to chains just like in 2p. Goes clockwise.

deim0s

Bought Nightfall... Damn. The UI needs be much clearer.

On the victory/defeat screen... what's the 3 colored icons supposed to be? (Also shown on the top right of the screen)

When creating a game, whats the two switchable icons on the right of the avatar? (Lightning/cards and closed/open eye)

Learned the hard way, inflicting damage to enemy minions via action cards when the opponents has none goes to yours! :/

Smiley90

Also, just a little mistake I've seen a lot of people make against me: When card text starts with "your chain", there's no point in chaining it to your opponent's chain, since the card won't have any effect ;)

sladeums

On the victory/defeat screen... what's the 3 colored icons supposed to be? (Also shown on the top right of the screen)
The 3 dots indicate whether or not you are playing a match that includes one of the 3 Promo Cards (unlocked by Achievements).
Red dot is no, Green dot is yes.
One dot for each card.

When creating a game, whats the two switchable icons on the right of the avatar? (Lightning/cards and closed/open eye)
Lightning/Book = Quick Play/Player Card Draft
Open/Closed Eye = Wound Count Visible/Not Visible

Learned the hard way, inflicting damage to enemy minions via action cards when the opponents has none goes to yours! :/

Yeah, got to plan ahead with your chains ... despite your urge slamming down the most massive chain possible is not necessarily the best play.

Smiley90

The 3 dots indicate whether or not you are playing a match that includes one of the 3 Promo Cards (unlocked by Achievements).
Red dot is no, Green dot is yes.
One dot for each card.

Lightning/Book = Quick Play/Player Card Draft
Open/Closed Eye = Wound Count Visible/Not Visible

Yeah, got to plan ahead with your chains ... despite your urge slamming down the most massive chain possible is not necessarily the best play.

Ooooh the promo-cards are unlockable by achievements? I was wondering that! What achievements unlock them? I only have Zombie Horde :(

sladeums

Ooooh the promo-cards are unlockable by achievements? I was wondering that! What achievements unlock them? I only have Zombie Horde :(

Not sure ... haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

I have 8/20 achievements and only the Horde card so far.

edit:
here got another one .... guess i'll spoiler in case anyone cares :
The card "Shadow Seven" (image link) is unlocked through the achievement Politically Inclined (win a 4-5 player game w/ 5 Wounds or less)

IllumiNate

Something im noticing in Nightfall, Is I really appreciate that there is less randomness to everything. Its something that has always kind of bugged me about Ascension. When you play a game like Dominion, or the Penny Arcade DBG is that before you even start you can have a good idea on what your going to do, and how your going to do it. It seems a lot more planned and thought out, and generally makes me feel proud of what I did when I win.

My problem with Ascension is that you basically HAVE to change what your doing based on whats in play in the middle, you could go into the game thinking 'ok, construct build!' and then proceed to not have any constructs in the middle for the first few turns, which usually makes you adapt and play to whats on hand, which dont get me wrong, is a great way to make your game. I really enjoy coming up with new ideas and plans during the game, its just something that I dont feel is as fun games like Dominion.

Im wondering how an alternate play method in Ascension would work, where if you took (lets say) the right most stack of the 6 pools in the middle, and made it JUST monsters so that if you always had at least 1 monster to kill, and if you took the left most stack and made it strictly heroes so you never got stuck with 6 monsters in play, and a handfull of Mystics or something.

I dunno, just curious if anyone even thinks it would be balanced, or really change anything. Its not like I dislike Ascension, or think its broken, Its probably my favorite iOS game! Anyway, carry on!

Lovin' me some Nightfall right now.

The creators of the game made it so it was similar to a draft of M:TG. You can't go into a draft knowing your gonna build a blue/white control deck. You build the best deck with the cards givin to you.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

It's pretty good on iPad. I wouldn't quite say everything is where you expect it to be but after a couple games it's all very accessible. It's the tutorial that sucks (imo).

btw, is it just me or are these game like Ascension & Nightfall absolute battery slayers?

Smiley90

It's pretty good on iPad. I wouldn't quite say everything is where you expect it to be but after a couple games it's all very accessible. It's the tutorial that sucks (imo).

btw, is it just me or are these game like Ascension & Nightfall absolute battery slayers?

Yep. I try not to play them too much during the day without a charger :/ Same for Hero Academy... unfortunately. Also, AstroLad, don't forget to check your TTRP and Eradicate Notifications ;)

The server-connection error in Nightfall is soooo annoying, same with the lack of Multitasking that Ascension has too, it would be so much smoother and less furstrating if those comparatively small issues could be fixed, when the game itself is so good.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Man, Nightfall really has an ass load of strategic elements.

Astrolad opened with two of the Ghouls that do 1 damage to target player, and it made me think that is a ridiculous advantage for player 1. Then someone else did it, but I had two as well, and so they took two from my cards, and then at least two on my first attack.

I really like the mechanic of attacking at the beginning of your turn. It means you can go big on your opponents turn and have a huge attack, but then you might be out of cards to lay a defense. But then, if their dudes are dead(er), skipping your whole chain step is a valid strategy as well.

deim0s

Just finished a 3 player game and it weirded me out, we lost to the one who forfeited the game.

Edit: Game is Nightfall. So, when a player is out... you have to attack him still?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yep. I try not to play them too much during the day without a charger :/ Same for Hero Academy... unfortunately. Also, AstroLad, don't forget to check your TTRP and Eradicate Notifications ;)

Damn, thanks. Stupid janky GC notifications. Anyone waiting on me for more than a day feel free to ping the thread.

Smiley90

In Eradicate, is there a way to see in which regions stabiization efforts have already been started? I can't seem to find anything indicating that oO. Is it the bright/darkness of the coloured buttons in the top left or something?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I just picked up Ascension and the expansion so I am open to invites to those. I sent out a few. Prepare to beat the crap out of me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
In Eradicate, is there a way to see in which regions stabiization efforts have already been started? I can't seem to find anything indicating that oO. Is it the bright/darkness of the coloured buttons in the top left or something?

It almost looks like lightning through the symbol.

Smiley90

It almost looks like lightning through the symbol.

Oh I'll look out for that. Funny how in one game we're about to lose and in the other we're cruising through without any spreading infestation yet.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hey sladeums check fealty i think one of our games is working

edit: daamn that was almost a downright obscene comeback in our nightfall game -- so close!

sladeums

hey sladeums check fealty i think one of our games is working

edit: daamn that was almost a downright obscene comeback in our nightfall game -- so close!

I don't see any matches in Fealty.
The last ones I sent you were declined or forfeit.

and yeah gg that last one got a little close at the end ...

I'm up for some Ticket to Ride pocket, if I haven't gotten any invites yet. Not sure if I missed them, but I've been looking for notifications.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Man Fealty is like the perfect async game if you are into abstracts (not TOTALLY my thing but still). Just 16 moves per side in the entire game, lots of screwage, lots of brainburn that you can engage in async if you're so inclined...

Top Bottom