• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

mercviper

Started a game and sent out invites via gc.

Only showed ray, czartim, and triphibian though. You slackers need to log in the multiplayer so I can invite more to fill the game.

Yeah, me too. The tutorial seemed good before I accidently skipped it, haha. But ive played Eclipse more than a few times, so it was pretty obvious to me what everything was doing, and why it was being explained.

Seems really fucking solid so far, its not going to replace playing the physical game, but man I hope this gets a lot of use against you guys. I am noticing its a little slow on my retina iPad (iPad 3?), but this thing is full of stuff and downloading updates right now, so I hope that is just something on my end I can fix.

Didn't notice any slowdown on my iPad2. It's also been so long since I last played I forgot what half the research did and got robbed of the early influence disk because I didn't prioritize it lol.

Hmmmm....they have some kinks to work out it seems, haha.

My first game is uncompletable!

BJFXjQnCMAAL0_F.jpg:large

I destroyed all his sectors, and neutron bombed his planets, but after I converted some resources and unclaimed sectors to be able to pay for everything, it just kind of stopped... Its not frozen, it just isnt progressing at all. haha

Luckily BDC have been awesome on twitter, and are already looking into it.

Fucking great game otherwise though, fuuuuck I love Eclipse.

Edit: I didnt get any invites Merc! dont lie to my face! :p

I TOLD YOU WHEN WE STARTED THIS THREAD, STOP BUYING REAL GAMES AND BUY AN
I can maintain the illusion that the phone is for doing important stuff like calls and things*.

* things when examined closely just turn out to be a shopping list app when I'm at the supermarket and a camera for taking pictures of cats.

tm24

Hmm, i got an invite from astro, but as soon as i signed on, the invite disappeared.

EDIT: THe invite system is a little wonky, but eventually the game showed up

mercviper

Hmmmm....they have some kinks to work out it seems, haha.

My first game is uncompletable!

I destroyed all his sectors, and neutron bombed his planets, but after I converted some resources and unclaimed sectors to be able to pay for everything, it just kind of stopped... Its not frozen, it just isnt progressing at all. haha

Luckily BDC have been awesome on twitter, and are already looking into it.

Fucking great game otherwise though, fuuuuck I love Eclipse.

Edit: I didnt get any invites Merc! dont lie to my face! :p

The invite bugged I think. I sent it again. The first time I did I mass invited but the number only showed 1. This time I confirmed a notification it sent to you though :p

Have you tried hitting the undo button in your stuck game? It fixed my issue when I got stuck colonizing some planets after a fight.

Edit: figured out why the invite bugged. Dragging the invite slider from off to on doesn't actually trigger the invite. You have to tap it for it to work properly. Something to keep in mind for future reference. I resent all invites just in case, so people may have extra invites.

Slacker

LOL one of my opponents has -25 influence in the first round in Eclipse. I think a few people are jumping in a little too quick. :p

Edit: Another with -13. :p I think this is going to be a quick game.

Edit again: FINALLY BigDaddyCreations has figured out how to show you where it's your turn in your list of games. THANK YOU.

One annoyance: Wish I could ponder research/ship stuff during my opponents' turns but the trays are locked until it's my turn. Overall quite good so far.

mercviper

One annoyance: Wish I could ponder research/ship stuff during my opponents' turns but the trays are locked until it's my turn. Overall quite good so far.

Gonna have to agree with you on that count. Also gonna air out another annoyance in that I wish I could see who has completely passed the turn (i.e. gets to be player 1 next round). If that piece of information is available it certainly isn't intuitively visible.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Edit again: FINALLY BigDaddyCreations has figured out how to show you where it's your turn in your list of games. THANK YOU.

yesssss! was so glad to see that.

there will be minor issues (it's Big Daddy's after all, and not Playdek or Coding Monkeys) but so far this feels like a great implementation. like the really pulled it off.

read the in-game manual after playing the tutorial though! it's actually quite short. they did a very good job of condensing the rules.

The invite bugged I think. I sent it again. The first time I did I mass invited but the number only showed 1. This time I confirmed a notification it sent to you though :p

Have you tried hitting the undo button in your stuck game? It fixed my issue when I got stuck colonizing some planets after a fight.

Edit: figured out why the invite bugged. Dragging the invite slider from off to on doesn't actually trigger the invite. You have to tap it for it to work properly. Something to keep in mind for future reference. I resent all invites just in case, so people may have extra invites.

I tried hitting everywhere on the screen haha. Nothing works, no big deal I just hope it doesn't happen again.

Slacker

ECLIPSE

Don't starting technologies count toward research discounts in Eclipse? I think BigD may have missed that. I'm trying to research plasma cannons that are 5/4 (with 4 research available) and the game won't let me.

Also, it seems to only let me research once per round? Wha? Getting a little nervous. I shouldn't be encountering bugs this easy to spot in my first playthrough. Edit: Wait, I may be wrong on that. Research was grayed out in one game for some reason but it working in another. Not sure there.

http://i.imgur.com/rGIIbQU.jpg

ECLIPSE

Don't starting technologies count toward research discounts in Eclipse? I think BigD may have missed that. I'm trying to research plasma cannons that are 5/4 (with 4 research available) and the game won't let me.

Also, it seems to only let me research once per round? Wha? Getting a little nervous. I shouldn't be encountering bugs this easy to spot in my first playthrough. Edit: Wait, I may be wrong on that. Research was grayed out in one game for some reason but it working in another. Not sure there.

Plasma cannon is 6/4. I think the left number is what you would pay the right is minimum.

mercviper

ECLIPSE

http://i.imgur.com/rGIIbQU.jpg

As ray said, the left is the current cost including discounts, and the right is the minimum cost to pay for that research.

As far as research being gray, it will gray out if you don't have the research resources available to purchase the cheapest one. If you want to trade resources to buy something you need to do it before choosing the research option.

In regards to my earlier question, there isn't a way to see who passed first, but there will be in the next update or two

I wish I could see who has completely passed the turn (i.e. gets to be player 1 next round). If that piece of information is available it certainly isn't intuitively visible.

bdc said:
booster says:
On Tuesday, April 30th, 2013 @ 10:21 am
What I mean is it is easy not to notice who has passed first and we will add something to highlight this information

Event log is a cool idea, too!

Ah, you're right. They have a typo in the image (screenshot above) but not in the code doing the math itself. I'll report it.

Not seeing the typo? I think it's intended to display 5/4 so you don't have to keep track of the discounted costs.

Ah, you're right. They have a typo in the image (screenshot above) but not in the code doing the math itself. I'll report it.

I don't see a screenshot, but it sounds right. 6/4 is what it is, you have either starbase or neutron bombs bringing the cost down to 5/4.

I don't see an issue?

Edit: I see the picture now. And Merc explained it better than I did.

Slacker

Ah ok - thanks for the explanation. I see it now. I don't particularly like that design decision but I understand. Gotta throw a couple things in to confuse the people who are used to the original.

Guess I need to roll through the tutorial after all. :p

AirBrian

I can maintain the illusion that the phone is for doing important stuff like calls and things*.

* things when examined closely just turn out to be a shopping list app when I'm at the supermarket and a camera for taking pictures of cats.

Screw Eclipse, start up a Le Harve game!

(Does the rematch button ever work for you? I hit it after our last game but I guess it didn't work?)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Fine with any number of players. I've also only played the original tabletop version once, but it was a full 6p game.

Cool -- I just realized I'm capped out at 5 games right now (damn you BigDaddy's) but the GAF games are actually moving at a decently brisk pace.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah, 5 game cap is really weird/lame.

Yeah, BigDaddy's hallmark along with live-only chat.

I will say though that from a usability perspective it's a big step up on NH (a beautiful but slightly troubled implementation). Just simple stuff like logging in being faster and the fact that it shows you which games it's your turn in.

Is it worth $8 though? My God yes. Even if you were only buying it to learn the game and play solo. Wish that complex games like Dominant Species were handed off to competent devs so I could actually learn them like this.

You can always just make more accounts and have more games there. I know Hereafter used to do that in NH for all the QT3 tournaments. Its kind of stupid, but at least you can get around it.

I did ask BDC about them adding persistent chat, and they said it was something they wanted to do, but didnt have time. So hopefully its coming eventually, but I wouldnt hold your breathe since, Caylus and NH dont have it either.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Is it worth $8 though? My God yes. Even if you were only buying it to learn the game and play solo. Wish that complex games like Dominant Species were handed off to competent devs so I could actually learn them like this.

If I ever can make it to one of your game nights, I can bring Dominant Species. ;P

So, I know Eclipse is on lots of peoples minds right now, but since the NH League has crowned its first champion eznark (I always want to capitalize the E!!!), I want to get the next 'B tier' tournament going, something that doesnt get much play around here. Im open to suggestions on what it should be.

Some ideas are, Nightfall, Penny Arcade, Stone Age, Le Harve, Ticket to Ride, im not saying these are B tier games, im just saying those ones dont get as much chatter about them, as we usually get with Carc, Ascension, Summer Wars, LC, etc. I would like to run a Nightfall one, but I dont know if there is much interest in it.

Also, since the people playing NH is kind of a small group of us, I can get a second 'season' of that going as well, Astro suggested Swiss rules, so I think we will try that out.

Once we have a better idea how long Eclipse games take, we can even do a tournament for that game as well, its a great game 2p, 6p and everything inbetween.

Flynn

Yeah, BigDaddy's hallmark along with live-only chat.

I will say though that from a usability perspective it's a big step up on NH (a beautiful but slightly troubled implementation). Just simple stuff like logging in being faster and the fact that it shows you which games it's your turn in.

Yeah I just blew throw a three player AI game in under an hour. This is dynamite way to learn and practice the game. I am really concerned, though, about how multi is going to work in the long run. Seems like they're going to need an auto pass (to speed up round end stuff) and a nudge.

Downloading Eclipse as we speak. Read through the game manual last week so it'll be nice to finally do the tutorial and see it all come together. Super stoked!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I feel like Stone Age/Le Havre tournaments would take ages... My vote goes to Nightfall!

I feel like Stone Age/Le Havre tournaments would take ages... My vote goes to Nightfall!

Yeah they would, but specifically Le Havre is such a good game, I wish more people would play it!!

I think Nightfall would be a lot of fun, I find it more reliant on skill than most Deck Builders, I hate it beyond a 2p game though, haha.

Unfortunately Nightfall isnt always the most balanced, but the base game mostly is, just dont include Zombie Horde and its mostly fine. Martail Law is kind of a mess though, Hysteria and Bleak Resurrection can pretty easily take over any match, that its best to just leave the whole thing out, haha.

Slacker

Downloading Eclipse as we speak. Read through the game manual last week so it'll be nice to finally do the tutorial and see it all come together. Super stoked!
Eclipse is a really cleverly designed game. You can understand the rules pretty thoroughly after a game or two and never need to refer to the instructions again.

Davidion

I don't really need to own Eclipse.

I think I'll go download Eclipse.

Also, picked up Bang HD on a sale over the weekend; it's a pretty fun single-deck card game for those who are interested.

eznark

Banned
Technically the e should be capitalized I guess.

Thanks! Blast of a tournament. Look forward to doing random teams. I felt the team I picked was kind of cheese.

I'm playing through the Eclipse tutorial right now then will be ready for some games.

My vote for next tournament would be Summoner Wars

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Gaah the 5-game limit is such a bummer when a game just comes out and you're trying to get some experience with the async. Already quit my only rando game to make room for a fifth GAF game.

Everyone take your turns whenever possible! :)

Technically the e should be capitalized I guess.

Thanks! Blast of a tournament. Look forward to doing random teams. I felt the team I picked was kind of cheese.

I'm playing through the Eclipse tutorial right now then will be ready for some games.

My vote for next tournament would be Summoner Wars

Can I start capitalizing it all the time now? it bugs me, haha.

We can do Summoner Wars after the LC tourney, I like having 2 tiers of tournaments, one being stuff that we have had tournaments for, and the other for lesser played games, so people get to actually play things like NH.

Once weve run through the few games left that deserve tournaments but havent gotten one, then we can just have 2 tournaments of whatever people want.

Edit: Oh! I should get names! Who wants in on the second Neuroshima Hex Tournament?

NeoGAF Neuroshima Hex Tournament 2

- Swiss rules!
Dont ask me what this means, I barely understand it
- Dont know if this will need a finals after the tournament, but I would like to run one like the last tournament.
- Random armies

Sign-ups!

RaySpencer | RaySpencer

Smiley90

I'm in. Random armies basically requires at least a best of 3 for knockout rounds though.

I'm in RaySpay.

Thats a new one :p haha

I'm in. Random armies basically requires at least a best of 3 for knockout rounds though.

I disagree, all armies can beat all other armies! But if people want a best of 3 for the Final 4 Tournament, then we can.

- Swiss rules!
- Dont know if this will need a finals after the tournament, but I would like to run one like the last tournament.
- Random armies

Sign-ups!

RaySpencer | RaySpencer
Slacker | Slacker
Smiley90 | Smiley1790

Smiley90

Thats a new one :p haha

I disagree, all armies can beat all other armies! But if people want a best of 3 for the Final 4 Tournament, then we can.

- Swiss rules!
- Random armies

Sign-ups!

RaySpencer | RaySpencer
Slacker | Slacker
Smiley90 | Smiley1790

I'm not even joking, random NEEDS at least best of 3. You don't suddenly want a randomly assigned crazy unfair matchup that breaks the entire system.

Top Bottom