• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

If the game is broken, like Stone Age supposedly is, I almost don't want to know. Don't answer this question!!

The World Champion Grand Master Champion of the World will be returning to defend his crown.

I don't think there is any unbalanced match ups. Borgo seem like they are the strongest, but it's not like they aren't beatable. Plus our random generator is outside of the game, so we can eliminate any matches or even teams if we want too. We could say no Borgo at all if we wanted too.

NeoGAF Neuroshima Hex Tournament 2

- Swiss rules!
Dont ask me what this means, I barely understand it
- Dont know if this will need a finals after the tournament, but I would like to run one like the last tournament.
- Random armies

Sign-ups!

RaySpencer | RaySpencer
Slacker | Slacker
Smiley90 | Smiley1790
AirBrian | AirBrian
Eznark | Eznark - The World Champion Grand Master Champion of the World
Mercviper | Mercviper

Also!!! Neuroshima Hex is on sale right now, because Eclipse came out. So anyone who doesn't have it should pick it up! It's only $2.99 in Canada and the US, that's as low as it goes it seems. Hopefully the armies are on sale as well for people who don't have those.

Slacker

Finished two games of Eclipse so far. Won the first, got slammed the second. :) So what issues do we need to pass along to the devs?

* As always - Big Daddy games could really benefit from a chess timer type system like the Playdek games use. I like the async system and it's implemented well here, but I would love the option to play a live game when I have a couple free hours to dedicate to it. Obviously I can do this by prearranging it with friends but a way to force it in the game would be nice. One thing we need to help make this work, however, is:

* ELO Rankings. This is not a necessity to enjoy the game by any means, but it'd be nice to have. This is a good enough game and a good enough app that I don't think it's out of line to have some high expectations. :)

* Is there a way to see what your opponent did the previous turn? I'd assume that tapping their icon in the corner would show the equivalent of their player board, but you can't see where they have spent their influence discs.

* The bankrupcy mechanism could use a little work. If you can't pay your upkeep, the game first asks if you want to trade resources to make up the difference. If you skip this, you must then remove influence discs from the board to get your upkeep to a number you can afford. Both of these methods should be available together for players to correct their deficits. I want to be able to look at the board first to determine which if any hexes I want to give up, then trade resources to make up the difference. As it stands, the trade resources stuff pops up first and obscures the board, and once you pass that step you can't go back.

* The ability to look at main board and player board info while it's not our turn would be very nice.

* The Planta have the option to explore a second hex with the explore action. The game seems to force the player to make that second exploration whether you want to or not. I guess you can just discard that second tile so this one may just seem weird but not really harm anything.

* Persistent chat would be nice. As it is now you can chat with others who are online with you at the same time, but others to log in later won't see what was said.

Any others? I'm sure I'll come up with a couple more while playing today.

Heel

Nice to see the iOS board game drought finally end. Looks like it worked out well for Big Daddy, as AppZapp says Eclipse charted #1 at some point. Congrats to them!

Finished two games of Eclipse so far. Won the first, got slammed the second. :) So what issues do we need to pass along to the devs?

* As always - Big Daddy games could really benefit from a chess timer type system like the Playdek games use. I like the async system and it's implemented well here, but I would love the option to play a live game when I have a couple free hours to dedicate to it. Obviously I can do this by prearranging it with friends but a way to force it in the game would be nice. One thing we need to help make this work, however, is:

* ELO Rankings. This is not a necessity to enjoy the game by any means, but it'd be nice to have. This is a good enough game and a good enough app that I don't think it's out of line to have some high expectations. :)

* Is there a way to see what your opponent did the previous turn? I'd assume that tapping their icon in the corner would show the equivalent of their player board, but you can't see where they have spent their influence discs.

* The bankrupcy mechanism could use a little work. If you can't pay your upkeep, the game first asks if you want to trade resources to make up the difference. If you skip this, you must then remove influence discs from the board to get your upkeep to a number you can afford. Both of these methods should be available together for players to correct their deficits. I want to be able to look at the board first to determine which if any hexes I want to give up, then trade resources to make up the difference. As it stands, the trade resources stuff pops up first and obscures the board, and once you pass that step you can't go back.

* The ability to look at main board and player board info while it's not our turn would be very nice.

* The Planta have the option to explore a second hex with the explore action. The game seems to force the player to make that second exploration whether you want to or not. I guess you can just discard that second tile so this one may just seem weird but not really harm anything.

* Persistent chat would be nice. As it is now you can chat with others who are online with you at the same time, but others to log in later won't see what was said.

Any others? I'm sure I'll come up with a couple more while playing today.

Pretty solid list, the Planta thing doesn't really count, but other than that it seems about right.

It's all a bunch of stuff that doesn't ruin the game by not having it, but would massively improve it if it did.

AirBrian

I refuse to acknowledge the Eclipse release until an iPhone version is released. If I can play Le Havre on the tiny little screen, I can play anything!

Slacker

I refuse to acknowledge the Eclipse release until an iPhone version is released. If I can play Le Havre on the tiny little screen, I can play anything!

I've pondered Eclipse on the iPhone. It'll be pretty hard to pull off in my opinion. I could maybe see it being doable for people who know the game well, though.

Eclipse is way bigger than Le Havre though. Haha. When we play it 5 players we need 3 other little stands by the table to make it fit. Haha.

I do wish I could get an app on my phone that would tell me when it's my turn though. Haha.

Damn it. You're not helping my unjustification for buying an iPad.

Just do it!!! Think of how great every game will look! Think of how awesome Le Havre will be! And how great it will be to play summoner wars, ascension and all the other card games without have to click on cards to read them!!

Doooooooiiiiiittttt.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Pretty solid list, the Planta thing doesn't really count, but other than that it seems about right.

It's all a bunch of stuff that doesn't ruin the game by not having it, but would massively improve it if it did.

-How do you view opponent's boards easily? Maybe need to do the tut again because I tap on them in the bottom left but it only shows up for a little while. Just overall actually it would be good to have small player icons that let you look in and always show score -- whether you have diplo with them -- whether they are traitor -- whether they have passed. You could fit a TON of useful info onto just one small icon. There's actually screen real estate to spare which is kind of crazy when you think about it but the info on board itself is compacted quite well.

-The not showing the last turns thing is really weird because NH had it. I guess I'm used to it from Le Havre but I really hope they fix it in the next version and it seems doable because unlike the other issues it's not a legacy thing from NH.

Still 5/5 even been playing the AI nonstop which I rarely do on iOS.

Slacker

-How do you view opponent's boards easily? Maybe need to do the tut again because I tap on them in the bottom left but it only shows up for a little while. Just overall actually it would be good to have small player icons that let you look in and always show score -- whether you have diplo with them -- whether they are traitor -- whether they have passed. You could fit a TON of useful info onto just one small icon. There's actually screen real estate to spare which is kind of crazy when you think about it but the info on board itself is compacted quite well.

You have to touch and hold on the player icons to see their info. And like the other game info you can only do this on your turn.

Your post reminds me - it'd be nice to see who passed as well. And a related minor annoyance: The game tells me (whoever) has passed whenever they end their turn. I'd much rather see it say (whoever) has ended their turn, reserving the wored "passed" for when they actually pass.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
You have to touch and hold on the player icons to see their info. And like the other game info you can only do this on your turn.

Your post reminds me - it'd be nice to see who passed as well. And a related minor annoyance: The game tells me (whoever) has passed whenever they end their turn. I'd much rather see it say (whoever) has ended their turn, reserving the wored "passed" for when they actually pass.

Medium sized icon for each player could solve like 5 of those information-display problems. Actually wouldn't mind if they put on that bottom of that which player (user name) is controlling that race.

Yeah, this one is kind of annoying, but it has more to do worth the fact that I've played the board game quite a few times now.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I've pondered Eclipse on the iPhone. It'll be pretty hard to pull off in my opinion. I could maybe see it being doable for people who know the game well, though.

Hell, my normal game table isn't big enough for the standard boardgame version of Eclipse. We have to pull up a second table.

But how can you tell when someone truly has ended their turn with the possibility of reaction actions? The turn's not technically over until everyone chooses to pass in a row. Sure, someone may think they're truly done, but you never know if they want to take a reaction move in response to something unexpected.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Eclipse is way bigger than Le Havre though. Haha. When we play it 5 players we need 3 other little stands by the table to make it fit. Haha.

I do wish I could get an app on my phone that would tell me when it's my turn though. Haha.

Yes! They could just make the gameboard zoomable if it doesn't fit. I'll make it work.

Some of you jerks need to invite me to a game of Eclipse! Don't be afraid just because I rolled you all in NH!

That might happen, if you actually take the time to log on to MP :p

Edit:

And since Astro doesnt seem to read!!! Im going to add him to the NH league, since he suggested it anyway, and pretty much always plays in tournaments. I assume Bonesquad will too, since he was second in the last one, but I havent seen him post yet! Blahness did well too, so hopefully he returns!

Sign-ups!

RaySpencer | RaySpencer
Slacker | Slacker
Smiley90 | Smiley1790
AirBrian | AirBrian
Mercviper | Mercviper
AstroLad | AstroLad

Im going to be pretty disapointed if we dont have AT LEAST as many people as we had last time, haha. Heel? You want in on the action?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yes! They could just make the gameboard zoomable if it doesn't fit. I'll make it work.

It's already zoomable. It's being able to easily look at the other boards (research, etc) and switch between them that would be the issue.

Slacker

But how can you tell when someone truly has ended their turn with the possibility of reaction actions? The turn's not technically over until everyone chooses to pass in a row. Sure, someone may think they're truly done, but you never know if they want to take a reaction move in response to something unexpected.

As far as I can tell, you can't tell when someone has passed. Definitely important info to have too.

I don't know how to play NH...

Its pretty simple. Protect your HQ, and attack theirs! Your units only attack in the direction of their triangles, Small triangles are Melee range, and long ones are distance. Nets will stop the unit they are pointed at from doing anything, and the white squishe half circles are shields that will protect you from ranged attacks. The numbers on the units indicate when they will attack, the higher the number, the sooner they will attack.

Its a fun balance of being offensive and also protecting your base/HQ. Going through the tutorial, and playing a couple quick games should get you pretty familiar with how it all works.

Slacker

NS Hex is awesome. The NS Hex Puzzle game isn't bad either. Definitely gives you an introduction to the mechanics of the game.

NS Hex is awesome. The NS Hex Puzzle game isn't bad either. Definitely gives you an introduction to the mechanics of the game.

I couldnt get into it at all, haha. I love NH and puzzle games, but it just started so slow, that I got bored and havent gone back to it since, haha.

I love Neuroshima Hex though, one of my top iOS games.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That might happen, if you actually take the time to log on to MP :p

Edit:

And since Astro doesnt seem to read!!! Im going to add him to the NH league, since he suggested it anyway, and pretty much always plays in tournaments. I assume Bonesquad will too, since he was second in the last one, but I havent seen him post yet! Blahness did well too, so hopefully he returns!

Sign-ups!

RaySpencer | RaySpencer
Slacker | Slacker
Smiley90 | Smiley1790
AirBrian | AirBrian
Mercviper | Mercviper
AstroLad | AstroLad

Im going to be pretty disapointed if we dont have AT LEAST as many people as we had last time, haha. Heel? You want in on the action?
yeah sorry! reading but have some AIs still. want to update the OP with the current champions of each game

what should our "games" be?

Ascension
Carc
NH
Lost Cities

Seems like a good start. Who is Ascension champ? I think I'm Carc and then eznark is NH. LC is mikeworks right?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
yeah sorry! reading but have some AIs still. want to update the OP with the current champions of each game

Ascension
Carc
NH
Lost Cities

Seems like a good start. Who is Ascension champ? I think I'm Carc and then eznark is NH. LC is mikeworks right?

We had SW tourneys too and I'm pretty sure Hereafter is the champ there.

Ascension
Carc
NH
Lost Cities

From the tournaments we have run on Challonge:

Ascension - AstroLad
Carc - AstroLad - 3 time Champ
NH - Eznark
Lost Cities - MikeWorks - 2 time Champ (so far)

But yeah, Hereafter also won Summoner Wars both times I think?

Edit: Yeah, I think we should have them listed, preferably at the top to possibly entice people to try to take them on! I think at the very least, everything listed on Challonge should get mentioned, since we have all the stats for it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Cool I will add summoner wars to the list.

Do you guys have Challonge images and links I should copy for the OP as well? I'll try to be better about keeping that OP updated. Should make it easier for if we want to have multiple tournaments running constantly.

Cool I will add summoner wars to the list.

Do you guys have Challonge images and links I should copy for the OP as well? I'll try to be better about keeping that OP updated. Should make it easier for if we want to have multiple tournaments running constantly.

All of the old images and links are in here:

http://neogafboardgames.challonge.com/

The only active one right now is

http://neogafboardgames.challonge.com/NeoGAFLostCitiesTournament3

neogafboardgames-NeoGAFLostCitiesTournament3.png

Its me and you holding this one up too, whoops! haha :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Take your Eclipse turns fools!

I say this selfishly because I'm at a company off-site next week and probably won't be able to take turns during the day.

But remember that these BigDaddy's games kill the game if you don't take a turn for 3 days I believe. So at least do that. (Although that pace is really not sufficient for a game like Eclipse.)

Nice one! I don't think I got a single good run of cards in any of the games. Pretty straightforward heh.

Yeah, and I couldnt help but get cards that helped me. It was great....for me :p

Im just the Giant Crusher! WATCH OUT MIKE!! I took out Merc and Astro, underdog power!!

Heel

Game 1:
Astro - 55
Heel - 52

Game 2:
Astro - 45
Heel - 20

Game 3:
Astro - 37
Heel - 54

Total:
Astro - 137
Heel - 126

GGs. Had a yellow five but got greedy trying to draw another yellow card to get the bonus. Never got the 8th yellow card so I still woulda lost by 1...lol.

Astro you can send me an invite whenever.

Thanks for the heads up.
Re: Kingpin, could be interesting but no Game Center integration so Multiplayer is against random players from a lobby (should anyone actually turn up). Probably not async either so I'm bailing. No AI either.

Damn! :p My luck had to run out sometime, haha.

Congrats MikeWorks!! the THREE TIME LOST CITIES CHAMPION

Ray vs Mike

32 v 30

76 v 96

28 v 34

total

136 v 160

Congrats again Mike! You were being super conservative at the end, and made me dig my own holes, haha.

Edit:

NeoGAF Lost Cities Tournament 3

Supreme Champion: Mike Works | mikeworks

Worthy Adversary: RaySpencer | RaySpencer

Maybe Next Time: AstroLad | AstroLad

4th place: Heel | [SLADE]

5th place tie:
mercviper | mercviper
Smiley90 | smiley1790
AirBrian | AirBrian
superrobot | Diesel Pioneer

9th place tie:
Slacker | Slacker
Gatekeeper | Z3R0_5UM
blahness | blahness
Squirrel Killer | squirrel_killer
Grifter | risottoball
Got the Shakes l Got the Shakes
Biggyfries | b1ggyfries
Roodiculous | Roodiculous

----------------------------------------------------

NeoGAF Neuroshima Hex Tournament 2

- Swiss rules!
- Dont know if this will need a finals after the tournament, but I would like to run one like the last tournament.
- Random armies

Sign-ups!

RaySpencer | RaySpencer
Slacker | Slacker
Smiley90 | Smiley1790
AirBrian | AirBrian
Mercviper | Mercviper
AstroLad | AstroLad
Flynn | Triphibian

Good games man, they were all close! In that one game I won by 20, I think I got a 10 card (which I had a 2x multiplier open in) on my second-to-last turn. Such is Lost Cities.

Good games man, they were all close! In that one game I won by 20, I think I got a 10 card (which I had a 2x multiplier open in) on my second-to-last turn. Such is Lost Cities.

Yeah, you kept pulling 10s out in every game. haha. I think it was the second game too, where you had all but 1 or maybe 2 of the red cards, heh. I was just lucky that I was sitting on 2 of the Coin cards, hah.

Great fun though!!

Soooooooooooooo, now that LC is over as well, we can take a vote on what tournament people want to run out of our normal games.

I think Ive heard a few people say they want another Ascension one, or we could do a Summoner Wars one as well. LC and Carc have just been run recently, but if you guys want to do another one of those that would be fine as well!!

So what should we play next?

Ascension ? Which expansions?
Summoner Wars?
Carcassonne? Which expansions?
Lost Cities? Could Mike make it 4 in a row?

Top Bottom