• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah to be fair I had all my borders protected and the ability to ramp up military really quickly thanks to all my tech and production capacity. Think I just had a good start and kept rolling from there. Glad it's the first game done because I have others not going nearly so well! :p

Yeah to be fair I had all my borders protected and the ability to ramp up military really quickly thanks to all my tech and production capacity. Think I just had a good start and kept rolling from there. Glad it's the first game done because I have others not going nearly so well! :p

Yeah. I don't think there was much we could do to stop you, especially because you avoided the battles that were happening in the mid game.

I'm definitely all over the place in these games. I'm in a pretty bad way in one of them, an I had to make it worse by attacking the guy who was already crushing me. Haha.

How's your NH going though Astro?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah. I don't think there was much we could do to stop you, especially because you avoided the battles that were happening in the mid game.

I'm definitely all over the place in these games. I'm in a pretty bad way in one of them, an I had to make it worse by attacking the guy who was already crushing me. Haha.

How's your NH going though Astro?

hasn't AB already won that one? should be done i think though i don't have my ipad on me

Slacker

Attempted the new campaign in Elder Sign a few times over the weekend, got devoured every time, and loved every minute of it. They've really continued to knock it out of the park with this app. Highly recommended if you haven't gotten around to checking it out.

Kosh

I played through the tutorial of Eclipse up to where they set you free to finish up the tutorial. I'm totally lost. Are there any files online that explain it a little better. I know to take an action during my turn, I guess I'm looking more for some strategy tips.

I played through the tutorial of Eclipse up to where they set you free to finish up the tutorial. I'm totally lost. Are there any files online that explain it a little better. I know to take an action during my turn, I guess I'm looking more for some strategy tips.

BGG is always good for that stuff, or you can setup a game vs AI and just watch what they do, it gives you a pretty good idea on what to do.

Li Kao

Gg on the Lost Cities game Duke, I can't believe how lucky I was in the card picking department. And you still managed to more than keep face at the end.

AirBrian

NH Update:

AB: 17/20
AL: 00/20

gg, Astro. I know the start wasn't ideal and ended up being a very lop-sided game.

Also, you were down to your last point but it never showed the notification of the game finishing. Sorry for the delay since our game was apparently over for a couple of days!

Got Lost Cities and beat the tutorial girl, so now I'm ready to take on GAF.

Please play with me: _lolduke_

About time! ;-) Invite sent!

NH Update:

AB: 17/20
AL: 00/20

gg, Astro. I know the start wasn't ideal and ended up being a very lop-sided game.

Also, you were down to your last point but it never showed the notification of the game finishing. Sorry for the delay since our game was apparently over for a couple of days!

About time! ;-) Invite sent!

Thanks for the confirmed scores! Ive updated them already.

Now Merc and Flynn need to finish up! I know they had to restart after that long weekend though.

mercviper

Thanks for the confirmed scores! Ive updated them already.

Now Merc and Flynn need to finish up! I know they had to restart after that long weekend though.

We're about halfway done. Had both of us online at one point on friday or saturday but then we took a break and we're back to 1-2 turns/day. I'm ahead like 15-13 right now but it's his turn and all the spaces around me are clear. :x

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I feel like in Totems, whoever has to go first (aka doesn't get to put down the last token) has a huge disadvantage... I only avoided it in this game with Li Kao because I swapped my tokens and he didn't, giving me the last piece.

Li Kao

I feel like in Totems, whoever has to go first (aka doesn't get to put down the last token) has a huge disadvantage... I only avoided it in this game with Li Kao because I swapped my tokens and he didn't, giving me the last piece.

Nice game Smiley ! I believed there was hope for me till late in the game, but the island man, this damned island... And now that you mention it the swap, at the moment I didn't understand why it was my turn again, oh god so stupid sometimes lol.
But yeah, I don't fully understand the game, and there is subtetly in where and when to place, but it feels odd that this is a game where 'not playing', delaying your turn, is so important sometimes.
Gg, it was fun !

I sent an invite to you (maybe 2, haha) but they don't seem to be in my active games list.

It's weird.

Smiley90

I sent an invite to you (maybe 2, haha) but they don't seem to be in my active games list.

It's weird.

Same with Li Kaos invite to me... I swear, this happens in other games too (like Lost Cities), but only to me. Gamecenter hates me. :( it seems to only work if I send out invites... Or Playdek games :lol

Li Kao

It's weird.

Ah, I did the same and it's a mystery to me. I can't seem to be able to 'validate' my invitation.
I'm not alone in this, err... yeah ? :p
Smiley had to invite but it will grow old quickly if he have to be contacted before a game proposal, that's strange.

Edit
I always suspected the game but now that you speak about gamecenter... would'nt surprise me in fact, I have Eclipse bought and installed and when in friend's statut it keeps being listed as not shared. Didn't try it online but I wonder if it will be the same mess as totem.

Same with Li Kaos invite to me... I swear, this happens in other games too (like Lost Cities), but only to me. Gamecenter hates me. :( it seems to only work if I send out invites... Or Playdek games :lol

Hmmm, makes me feel like it was your NH that was buggy too. You denied it so much, but here is more issues! Something's up man!

I got a game going with Li Kao first try no issues.

Smiley90

Hmmm, makes me feel like it was your NH that was buggy too. You denied it so much, but here is more issues! Something's up man!

I got a game going with Li Kao first try no issues.

-flips table-

I honestly don't know what I did to have the gamecenter gods hate me. :( My phone's not even jailbroken!

-flips table-

I honestly don't know what I did to have the gamecenter gods hate me. :( My phone's not even jailbroken!

Yeah it's weird. It's not a wifi thing too I assume, since I doubt your on the same wifi network all day.

Though, maybe it is a wifi thing if your iPad has the same issues?

Li Kao

Yeah it's weird. It's not a wifi thing too I assume, since I doubt your on the same wifi network all day.

Though, maybe it is a wifi thing if your iPad has the same issues?

Hey why not, after all my first invite was sent at the same time more or less, maybe it's related.

Smiley90

I'm always on 3G on my phone, and on wifi with my ipad... I'll check my ipad if it got invites once I'm home but I doubt it, I can login/do everything else online just fine on my phone. And e.g. Nightfall/Carc work perfectly fine, too.

I'm always on 3G on my phone, and on wifi with my ipad... I'll check my ipad if it got invites once I'm home but I doubt it, I can login/do everything else online just fine on my phone. And e.g. Nightfall/Carc work perfectly fine, too.

Well I doubt you got it on your iPad because its not in my list either, the issue seems like it happens earlier than that. Plus, like you say, its not something that an issue most of the time, just Totems now, and Im kind of certain NH before too.

No idea what it could be though! but its pretty fucked up, haha.

Im not quite sure how Totems got a 5/5. It seems pretty imbalanced for the person with the last turn. Its UI and how the general feel of the app is great, but the actual balance of the gameplay seems pretty questionable.

It kind of reminds me of a simple Samurai, but no where near as good as Samurai, haha.

Li Kao

Totems
Ray 17 - 55 Me
Nice game, I had an elephant up my sleeve or the score would be totally different.
The bigger island, let's call it shitland, you first go in there, you lose it. Or with luck and a lack of compatible totems, it's a draw. A two case island, yup, shitland.

Edit, yup, I like it but share your concern Ray. And yup again, 5/5 seems generous. But maybe I'm missing a subtetly. And we should go for a bigger island with 3-4 player, maybe it changes the game.

Totems
Ray 17 - 55 Me
Nice game, I had an elephant up my sleeve or the score would be totally different.
The bigger island, let's call it shitland, you first go in there, you lose it. Or with luck and a lack of compatible totems, it's a draw. A two case island, yup, shitland.

Thats the thing though, I knew you had an Elephant, and there basically nothing I can do about it. Im sure there is more too it, and I can learn to block stuff off better, but it just doesnt really grasp me as something with a lot of depth that would make it worth playing for longer than a couple games.

Smiley90

Im not quite sure how Totems got a 5/5. It seems pretty imbalanced for the person with the last turn. Its UI and how the general feel of the app is great, but the actual balance of the gameplay seems pretty questionable.

It kind of reminds me of a simple Samurai, but no where near as good as Samurai, haha.

Totally. I started a 3player-game with you and Li Kao, maybe it'll be somewhat more balanced on a larger map. Hopefully that offsets the "last turn advantage" a bit, although the last player will probably still have a pretty big advantage. We'll see. Hope my invites worked!

Totally. I started a 3player-game with you and Li Kao, maybe it'll be somewhat more balanced on a larger map. Hopefully that offsets the "last turn advantage" a bit, although the last player will probably still have a pretty big advantage. We'll see. Hope my invites worked!

It did. 3 players could be better. I just dont think it will be worth playing much though, far to little strategy to make it worthwhile.

Its too bad too, because the team that built it is pretty talented. Colour choices, ELO, responsive UI, nice clean art, its a really well put together game, too bad the game is so simple. haha.

Smiley90

It did. 3 players could be better. I just dont think it will be worth playing much though, far to little strategy to make it worthwhile.

Its too bad too, because the team that built it is pretty talented. Colour choices, ELO, responsive UI, nice clean art, its a really well put together game, too bad the game is so simple. haha.

I see it as a sign of hopefully good things to come. Team starts with a simple game and tries to make it perfect, then tackles something bigger with a second game? We'll see!

Smiley90

Yeah, I hope so.

From how the first few turns are going in the larger map, it seems much better in terms of strategy. Since there is a larger variety of symbols and you're likely not to have any of a specific symbol, it's easier to create a variety of symbols and maybe cut off a larger section for yourself. It's definitely nicely done. :D

From how the first few turns are going in the larger map, it seems much better in terms of strategy. Since there is a larger variety of symbols and you're likely not to have any of a specific symbol, it's easier to create a variety of symbols and maybe cut off a larger section for yourself. It's definitely nicely done. :D

Yeah, it seems a lot more interesting with more people and a larger map. It might just be a new decent 3-4 player game.

Can someone explain diplomatic relations in Eclipse to me?

Im really shit at explaining stuff, so I will say you should look in the rule book in the app, it explains stuff really well. Scroll down to where it says Ambassador and then click on 'for Diplomatic relations'. Its a pretty good explanation.

Li Kao

Totems live coverage : sometimes I'm so stupid I could hit myself. 16 points down the drain to win 4 points. I guess that's a deal.

Smiley90

Totems live coverage : sometimes I'm so stupid I could hit myself. 16 points down the drain to win 4 points. I guess that's a deal.

I'll take those 25 points, thank you very much! :D 3p & larger map is definitely a LOT better than 2p. Much less predictability :lol

Smiley90

Yeah, its ok.

Next time lets play a 1v1v1 game though, this 2v1 game where Li Kao feeds you huge points all game isnt as fun :p

:lololololololol Laughing so hard right now. So true. He gave me 25 points twice :lol, that was pretty nice.

Li Kao

:lololololololol Laughing so hard right now. So true. He gave me 25 points twice :lol, that was pretty nice.

Smiley is my new best friend.
No seriously, I saw the last gift but can't remember the first. In the second one when Smiley took back the serpent line, I was... 'wow, nice move', and then 'wait, you helped him didn't you ?' :-X

Smiley is my new best friend.
No seriously, I saw the last gift but can't remember the first. In the second one when Smiley took back the serpent line, I was... 'wow, nice move', and then 'wait, you helped him didn't you ?' :-X

Yeah it was pretty crazy. The Bear? in the middle bottom was a gift, the snake on the left, and the wolf on the right were all gifts, the Wolf at the end was just the last turn gift though, so we cant really count that one.

Smiley90

Yeah it was pretty crazy. The Bear? in the middle bottom was a gift, the snake on the left, and the wolf on the right were all gifts, the Wolf at the end was just the last turn gift though, so we cant really count that one.

Yeah the end hardly counts. If you didn't play a wolf he'd have gotten 25, if you played the wolf he got 36 and you had the small chance of getting 25, definitely worth trying.

Smiley90

Our Eclipse game is basically:

"build up, build up, build up, epic battle everybody sees coming for the very last turn" :lol

Top Bottom