• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Magazine Thread of Duckroll's Birthday and a Black Mark on the White Knight

RpgN

Happy birthday Duckroll! I hope you'll have a healthy and wonderful life without any problems. And please stay with us in Gaf, I have still much to learn from you.

WKC's score was kind of expected. Yet I can't believe it will be worse than enchanted arms and IU.

biocat

誕生日おめでとう!

I'll still buy White Knight!

I'll just wait a bit for the price to plummet now.

duckroll said:
The bitter tears of Level 5 fans driven to meltdowns.

Roasted lamb leg, roasted potatoes and onions, mashed potatoes, baby carrots and peas, french onion soup, toasted garlic bread. It's been a loooong afternoon but I'm pretty happy with the results so far! Dinner's going to be great! ^_^

????

why are you having mash and roast potatoes!?!?!?!?!

How are you marinating your lamb...lamb is a delight when it isn't to fatty...we actually have our own sheep...sounds like a nice meal. I love to have a roast every sunday..

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
nelsonroyale said:
why are you having mash and roast potatoes!?!?!?!?!

What's wrong with having both on the same dish? It's not as if he's eating Deep Fried Mars Bars with caviar. :lol

And happy birthday Duckroll. It was my birthday last Thursday, but no-one cared. :(

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
duckroll said:
Considering the PS3 is region free, I think it's best for most people on the fence on WKC to just wait for the US version. It'll be cheaper, and it might even be better. Seriously.

I just converted 6980 Yen to Pounds and realised that we were no longer being ripped off. Does every new PS3 and 360 game cost that much? (If so, no wonder Japan is apathetic to HD gaming.)

Shouta

29? Sounds like not enough moneyhats. I mean the Last Remnant's score got what, 38? That's wayyyyy too high for it. Then again, some of the games I thought were pretty good scored a bit low on the famitsu scale, har.

Kyoufu

Doc Evils said:
I'll wait for western reviews after seeing their joke TLR review.

But western reviews are worse.

Famitsu gave TLR a high score because they knew so called "professional" publications would give TLR really low scores.

Paracelsus

Shouta said:
29? Sounds like not enough moneyhats. I mean the Last Remnant's score got what, 38? That's wayyyyy too high for it. Then again, some of the games I thought were pretty good scored a bit low on the famitsu scale, har.

Man, they gave 36/40 to Radiata, which just like WKC has custom combos and a simplistic battle system that can become repetitive. Not even mentioning the .hack series.

Something went terribly wrong with WKC. Only importers will be able to tell.

EDIT: Happy Birthday. o.o

Pachael

duckroll said:
Let's not get silly now. We can save that for FFXIII's 29/40 review. :p

It won't be messy sadly, as a fair amount of supporters will point to FFXII's 40/40 review and declare that that game was rubbish so maybe FFXIII is fantastic

Happy birthday

Johann

Bebpo said:
The trick to their DS games is that they aren't rpgs.

Even Dark Cloud 2, which was pretty solid, wasn't really a standard rpg. It was more of a town builder/dungeon crawler/golf/photography sim or something.

L5 just seems to suck at making standard rpgs. Probably because they can't write a story for the life of them, can't design a dungeon, and can't make a battle system with depth. Together that sort of kills an rpg :\

Come to think of it, their best games. had their core gameplay designed by soemone else DQVIII had Horii and his team designing it. The Layton series's puzzles were based off a popular puzzle book.

I really want to see how their DS and PSP games turn out, especially the Studio Ghibli game.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Paracelsus said:
Man, they gave 36/40 to Radiata, which just like WKC has custom combos and a simplistic battle system that can become repetitive. Not even mentioning the .hack series.

Something went terribly wrong with WKC. Only importers will be able to tell.

EDIT: Happy Birthday. o.o
well at least Radiata had that town shit going for it, and people that got into that really enjoyed the game (not me)

Maybe there's nothing remarkable about WKC. And TLR review was obviously moneyhatted, I mean come on. :)

rpmurphy

Have a happy birthday duckroll.

wacky2.gif

Are you the one with the pilot's hat? :p

xfactor said:
RIZ-ZOAWD DS 7/8/7/6

I wonder what they said about this? It looked promising, even though it seemed like generic JRPG fare.

near

Gold Member
Nolan. said:
Well Hino said Wkc can stand toe to toe with FFxiii so there's still hope, unless ffxiii is rubbish.

:lol Hino says alot of things. Didn't he over hype Rogue Galaxy as well? and look how that turned out. WKC could never look at a Final Fantasy game for comparison.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nolan. said:
Well Hino said Wkc can stand toe to toe with FFxiii so there's still hope, unless ffxiii is rubbish.

Maybe their ambition was just to big....a bit of DQ, lookin like FF, Multiplayer like Monster Hunter etc.

eXistor

Happy birthday duckroll!

Can't say I'm too surprised at the WKC scores. It could still be a great game and I'm still getting it regardless of scores, but I'm always cautiously optimistic when it comes to Level5 games, they tend to be pretty disappointing to me.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
cw_sasuke said:
Maybe their ambition was just to big....a bit of DQ, lookin like FF, Multiplayer like Monster Hunter etc.
Hino's hyperbole is awesome.

Tideas

Banned
gantz85 said:
White Knight bombing is.. :lol

Sigh. Oh well.

this must be a joke post right? Why is it that some people who call Famitsu a joke at reviewing, suddenly seem to have interest in it again?

I'm confused

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
the love of GOD why!!!!! Why have you done this to us Level 5, why! My dreams of playing the first AAA RPG this gen are crushed.

HAPPY BDAY ducky, you are part of what makes GAF so afw, fun and addicting

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Tideas said:
this must be a joke post right? Why is it that some people who call Famitsu a joke at reviewing, suddenly seem to have interest in it again?

I'm confused

Okay let me unconfuse you:

- They give games by major companies, and particularly RPGs, inflated scores.

- They openly admit to advertising-editorial connections. Most companies try to avoid this. Famitsu regularly does cash for coverage. This impacts review scores. This is why people call stuff "moneyhatted" or make jokes about the check not coming through.

Now, given that L5 and Sony both are very forthcoming with the cash to get coverage in Famitsu (L5 blowout is evidence enough of that), you can pretty much exclude that as a reason. What you're left with is a 29/40, essentially the worst score given to a serious RPG this generation. That's not a good sign.

[Nintex]

rpmurphy said:
Have a happy birthday duckroll.

wacky2.gif

Are you the one with the pilot's hat? :p

I wonder what they said about this? It looked promising, even though it seemed like generic JRPG fare.
Holy shit, Wacky Races, thread hijacked!

And happy birthday duckroll

[Nintex]

crowphoenix said:
I was about to ask if anyone remembered the name of that game. :lol

Happy Birthday, Duckroll.
It's Wacky Wheels actually but I was close with my first guess. I loved that game when I was a kid.

Nolan.

Tideas said:

I'm confused

Famitsu is usually a joke to people for their inflated scoring sometimes and if this is inflated well thats even worse.

grandjedi6 said:
Actually I gotta side with Kagari on this one. If good reviews don't mean shit because of famitsu's lack of integrity then surely the same is true for bad reviews.

I think the argument has to do with the specific methodology of Famitsu's lack of integrity:

If( (Game.Good == True) OR (Game.Moneyhat == TRUE) ) Then (Game.Review = Good) Else (Game.Review = Crap)

i.e. a good review wouldn't tell us anything, but a bad review tells us that Sony didn't moneyhat the review AND that the game isn't good enough to earn a great review on its own merits.

(I don't know how true this is, but I've seen people make this assumption many times in the past.)

Top Bottom