• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur demo impressions thread [Up On 360/Origin/Steam/U.S. PSN]

Uriah

Does lock-picking a chest automatically call the guards? I thought there weren't any nearby, but maybe there were some.

branny

Thinking about the demo more, I just find the game to be charmless and a little generic.
Yeah, I unfortunately agree. Then again, I've never thought much of the World of Warcraft artstyle, either. This somehow makes Dragon Age look less generic. At least it's colorful.

I'm mostly trying this for the ridiculously hyped up combat/battle system. Seems decent so far, but nothing good is going to come from that camera being too close. When the "inspect" R3 functionality barely shifts the camera at all, there's a problem. Also, how exactly does this shielding thing work without a stamina bar or chip damage? And why can we roll indefinitely with only a slight recovery after the second roll?

Edit: It seems like the Troll boss does chip on some attacks, so maybe things are tweaked on harder difficulties. Too bad we can't test with the demo keeping us locked into Normal.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I can't be the only one who feels this is a lot like WoW meets Guild Wars + New Combat System

I already said it in another thread and people were curious how I came to the conclusion after watching the videos but right now, after having played the demo my first impression was correct.
The style reminds me a LOT of WoW and movement feels a lot like Guild Wars.
I don't like the interface. It's ugly and not responsive enough.

Also in general it feels to me like I'm playing a MMORPG in solo mode. I just can't seem to care about any of the whole story. Oh it's the gnomes, they are engineers! Wait where did I see that before?

Maybe will get this in the wintersale, or next year, but after having played WoW for far too many hours, this just doesn't feel new to me. The good combat system alone can't hold the game for me.

I'm guessing a lot of people will have great fun with this and I can absolutely understand it (there's a reason WoW was so successful after all), but I don't feel like playing this right now.

Also: The interface just screams: Hey I was actually a MMORPG interface in my previous life.

NIN90

Dialogue is pretty boring I think. Found myelf skipping most of it and that's something I never do.

Also, I thought the combat would be closer to something like DMC, instead it feels closer to something like Darksiders.

Derrick01

Banned
I put about 15 minutes into the outside part of the demo before quitting from boredom.

Pros

-well the combat is better than dice rolls, I'll give it that

-game ran fairly well. Had some inexplicable couple second freezes/chops in the tutorial dungeon, running max settings at 1080p on a gtx 470. Mostly 60 fps the rest of the way, dips down to low 50s when looking at the whole view from the entrance to the dungeon.

Cons

-Everyone keeps saying how good this looks, I think it looks ugly. I think some people are conditioned to think nowadays that having anything besides brown=great looking. It looks like an early generation 360 game to me, like 2007ish.

-The way the inventory is set up using a 360 pad is awful. No tabs, just everything listed on 1 page with slightly bigger white text separating categories.

-I said the combat is better than dice rolls but just mashing X and B isn't much better. I'm assuming/hoping it gets more complex.

-Whenever I break an object with my weapon there's a "cinematic" very brief stutter. It's in the game because framerate didn't dip below 60. It gets annoying really fast.

-The tutorial section is too long and way too boring. I almost didn't make it through because I was literally starting to fall asleep.

-Silent protagonist in 2012 is inexcusable to me

-Why is there a dialog list AND a dialog wheel, at seemingly random times no less?

I'm going to wait to buy it. I think I've kind of burned out on the fantasy wrpg, it's mostly the same stuff every time and I'm just burnt out. I can't enjoy a rpg if I can't get into the story and remembering a bunch of names and places I can't pronounce is tiresome for 10+ games. Plus the gameplay is largely the same. Lockpick this, steal that, blacksmith this relatively useless item, alchemy that potion you'll probably vendor etc etc. I've been there, done that 100 times.

strem

I wanted so bad to love this game I really did but it didn't grab me at all. I think Skyrim ruined every other rpg for me

Khezu

-Why is there a dialog list AND a dialog wheel, at seemingly random times no less?

From what I gather, the wheel is for general conversations, and the list is for info dumps, not sure why, maybe in the off chance there are more then six things you can ask a dude?

-I said the combat is better than dice rolls but just mashing X and B isn't much better. I'm assuming/hoping it gets more complex.

It has a parry (although it is very generous) and the dodge is good too. Also if you delay the attack (atleast on the sword) it will launch enemies for juggles. You can also cancel out of most animations using the block in general. The problem is that I doubt this game will force you to do anything beyond mashing X and B given the audience for this game (people who like mashing X and B and seeing numbers go up).

I said the combat is better than dice rolls but just mashing X and B isn't much better. I'm assuming/hoping it gets more complex.
Some of the videos for the game and especially this quote from the lead designer give me hope for this combat system in terms of controls, flexibility and ad-hoc combos.

Tiberius said:
For example, here's the suite of stuff one particular Mage build might have access to at any given moment (without remapping anything even on the console). This is a pure-mage Ljosalfar character I was recently playing with. She's level 20, using the Sage Destiny, and her weapons are a Flame Staff and a pair of Frost Chakrams. On a moment to moment basis (without remapping anything or changing her gear loadout), she can...

1.) Do a basic 3-hit attack chain with her Flame Staff by hitting the primary attack button.
1b.) Switching between Staff and Chakrams before completing the chain will let her continue attacking incessantly, but if she's willing to commit and complete the attack chain then she gets an extra strong blast in.
2.) Charged Entropy - Hold and release the primary attack button to float into the air and charge up a big AoE burst of fire.
3.) Mage's Vortex - Hit the primary attack button while blocking to slide backwards whilst sucking all enemies in front of her together via a vortex of flame and wind.
4.) Arcane Fury - Hit the primary attack button then delay a moment before hitting it again and she can send forth a rising wave of flame that lifts enemies into the air.
5.) Do a basic 4-hit attack chain with her Frost Chakrams by hitting the secondary attack button.
5b.) As with the Staff, she can choose to either switch off to her other weapon before completing the chain for a faster rate of attack, or complete the chain for a single strong hit.
6.) Maelstrom - Hold and release the secondary attack button and she'll charge up her chakrams then send them out in a broad loop, knocking down enemies in a wide range.
7.) Elemental Escape - Hit the secondary attack button then delay a moment before hitting it again and she can slam down the chakrams and hurl herself backwards, distracting enemies and buying her time to get off a larger spell.
8.) Ice Blink - Hit the dodge button and she'll "blink" (teleport) a short distance, leaving a trail of ice magic in her wake. This can be used either as a pure evasive action or even offensively, but deliberately teleporting -through- enemies. The ice effect will slow those enemies down.
9.) Orbital Blades - Hit the secondary attack button right after teleporting and she'll throw her chakrams into a vertical loop, launching an enemy into air and keeping him there as the whirling blades strike again and again.
10.) Hit the block button to bring up her Frost Talisman and block attacks.
10b.) Hit the block button right as an attack is incoming and she'll parry it, discharging the frost magic of her Talisman into the enemy for a few seconds. If other enemies are clustered close, it can affect them too.
11.) Hit the Storm Bolt button and throw a burst of lightning magic, damaging and stunning enemies in a small AoE.
12.) Hold down the Storm Bolt button to cast Tempest, bringing lightning bolts down over a large AoE.
12b.) If she gets hit when she's in the middle of charging up Tempest, she'll be interrupted...but the lightning will discharge out of her and into the enemy who hit her (provided it was a melee attack).
13.) Tap the Healing Surge button for quick bursts of healing or hold it down to channel a larger amount of healing energy (while leaving yourself open to attack).
14.) Hit the Mark of Flame button and she'll tag enemies with a magical "mark."
14b.) Hold down the Mark of Flame button and she'll detonate all the marks.
15.) Hit the Ice Barrage button and she'll hurl a torrent of ice shards toward a foe.

So that's at least 15 active things I can choose to do in the middle of a fight, even using only the controller (not the additional options granted by having the 5-0 keys available for abilities on the PC). And that's ignoring the fact that I've also got Sphere of Reprisal (a defensive spell) on, which I toggled on earlier and then unmapped so I'd have more buttons free for active stuff. What's extra nuts is that this isn't even a top tier character--for instance, if I level up a bit more I can get the Winter's Embrace ability, which will give me a heat-seeking snowstorm I can cast by just holding down the Ice Barrage button (still no additional mapping needed).
Source: Reckoning Forum Post

More details in this combat video if you're interested.

Hannar

Dialog wheel provides you choices for branching conversation, including threaten/intimidate/persuasion type actions.

The dialog list allows you to choose topics to discuss with the NPC within that conversation. Items labeled in blue are core to the quest that you are on, so that you can avoid any of the other dialog if you don't want to learn anything about the story/lore.

NIN90

Wheel is for choices. List is just for information.

Funny how they (seemingly) think we wouldn't comprehend the choices in list form. It has to be in a dialog wheel where the good choice is in the upper right, middle ground is in the middle and the evil choice is in the lower right.

Do i have to finish the demo to unlock anything in ME3, honestly im finding this game horrible to play, its likely a personal issue but its just not for me at all.

Iv just gotten outside do i have much longer left?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
when you get outside the area reminded me alot of pre searing in guild wars. which isnt a bad thing

spirity

Also in general it feels to me like I'm playing a MMORPG in solo mode. I just can't seem to care about any of the whole story. Oh it's the gnomes, they are engineers! Wait where did I see that before?

To be fair, Gnomes are often portrayed as tinkerers/engineers/crazy scientist types in fantasy, (you really see it in steampunk).

-

Just played the demo but stopped when I got to the first town. I didn't want to spoiler it up for when I get the game. Quite pleased with what I saw and its a day 1 for me. I'm a bit ticked off there's no jumping.. seems almost silly its not in there. But its not a big deal.

Do i have to finish the demo to unlock anything in ME3, honestly im finding this game horrible to play, its likely a personal issue but its just not for me at all.

Iv just gotten outside do i have much longer left?

You get an additional unlock at the very end once they give you a 45 minute time limit.

chris-013

Mage skills are a bit too powerful, mark of flame lv1 inflict 100 damage on multiple targets...
Faeblade are very fun to use. Where I can find the chakram weapon?

Hannar

So if i play the game for 45 mins i get another unlock?

Play until you meet the Fateweaver and battle two groups of Tuatha, then you will be given a final 45 minute timer (you can see it in the pause menu). Your meeting with the Fateweaver unlocks a few items, then you unlock the final ones when the timer runs out. You can just leave the game sitting there (unpaused) for 45 minutes if you want.

Play until you meet the Fateweaver and battle two groups of Tuatha, then you will be given a final 45 minute timer (you can see it in the pause menu). Your meeting with the Fateweaver unlocks a few items, then you unlock the final ones when the timer runs out. You can just leave the game sitting there (unpaused) for 45 minutes if you want.

Yeah iv got the timer looks like ill just be waiting, The world is nice i suppose reminds me too much of WoW in appearance, the combat is so so nothing special but better than turn based.

The story or what iv seen of it rather is horrible didnt grip me in the slightest.

Its hard to compare it to either fable or skyrim it kind of feels the void between them both, but i much prefer skyrim and fable.

Certain elements of the game are pretty okay but everything from lore to race design to gameplay dont sit well with me.

At least i tried it.

KKRT00

Game is amazing, i was pretty excited earlier, but this demo just settles it.

Demo is a little bugged, mostly graphically and from optimization standpoint.
Graphic is better than i thought it would be and i actually dont mind art style! and i hate this type, its actually quite balanced. I love particles effects and texture work, though its a bit repetitive. I like lighting shaders from light sources, but global lighting is really underwhelming for 2012 game.
Game runs mediocre, it sometimes drop to 40 in strange situation on i5 2500k, gtx560 in 1920x1536@1280x1024 and it shouldnt, but as a build is 3 months old, i hope its just a demo, otherwise i feel sorry for console versions :p

Gameplay:
Its great, combat is fluid, fast and very responsive. Camera its not great, it not that bad like in Ninja Gaiden series, but its still missing many times good spots, mouse camera movement is horrible, actually controls are bad designed, but manageable.
I dont understand bow complains, its actually pretty good, at least on m&kb, but sometimes can be hit and miss with targets.
Loot is awesome, this is what i always wanted in open world RPG games, rich, deep and rewarding ;p
I like menus a lot and whole customizability of character, but i dont like there is no summary of buffs from items, it should be in Effects tab, but its just not there ;\
I dont like letterbox in dialogs, maybe its only 5:4 resolution issue, but box is too small.
I also love secrets, the game is full of surprises and hidden chests and boxes :)

Video from beta:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0QekAXQvb0&hd=1

Anybody know how many discs the 360 version is going to be on? All I can find is Todd Macfarlane stumbling out an answer implying more than 1.

ultron87

Played, quite fun. It's like Fable + WoW. That is a winning combination in my book.

Daggers + staff were my weapon set. Worked out pretty well.

gonna wait for a sale. february is dedicated to vita.

game is okay. camera isn't that good. like the combat i guess. feels weird to me.

Wallach

Just played through it again and got kicked out by the timer. Damn I wish this was coming out sooner.

Will have to try some of the other styles, but I'm enjoying the mage a little too much. Played through it this time on the 360 pad, and while I like that both primary and secondary are accessible without hitting a button to swap, the movement just feels off compared to KB/M. Particularly while sprinting. Still, it's definitely the kind of game I'd sit down and play for decently long stretches, so I can see myself sticking to the controller just to kick back a bit.

Looking through all the unlockable moves I can tell I'm going to have a good time with this. Just in the first couple levels you can do neat combos like AoE knockdown -> vortex (gather enemies) -> mark of flame -> detonate.

Hannar

Anybody know how many discs the 360 version is going to be on? All I can find is Todd Macfarlane stumbling out an answer implying more than 1.

It's 1 disc. Devs came out later and said that McFarlane was mistaken and was talking about potential sequels -- I haven't seen the quote, but have seen that they've confirmed 1 disc.

Quite enjoyed it but it needs a lot more polishing imo.

The camera is way too fucking close and the menu and inventory needs a complete reworking too. Overall it seems like it could be a great game if it fixed some niggly issues.

Really not a fan of the graphics either, I think at worst it's ugly, mostly it's just kinda bleh. Is the game using FXAA? Cause the whole screen seems somewhat blurred to me.

angelfly

Played through demo and really enjoyed it. It was fun trying out all the different play styles. The staff+sword is my preferred combo. I'm probably invest mainly in sorcery but make sure I can stuff handle a sword well. Not that worried as you're allowed to respec.

Just a reminder to those who are unaware: Newegg is offering this game for $47.99 with the use of a code.

Thanks, just found the code on CAG. Still not sure if I'm going to preorder now or just pick it up later since February is going to be a busy month..

Hannar

Also, for those looking for more intricacies on the combat, you've really got to check out the various combat moves in the menus. Each weapon offers something a little different. The timing between your pauses, plus when and if you choose to cancel in and out of combos with magic attacks, dodges, or parries.

I was really hating the hammer early on in my play through, particularly with the mouse controls. But there is a charge attack that makes for a significantly better opening attack on some of the quicker enemies. Loving it now.

Wallach

Quite enjoyed it but it needs a lot more polishing imo.

The camera is way too fucking close and the menu and inventory needs a complete reworking too. Overall it seems like it could be a great game if it fixed some niggly issues.

Really not a fan of the graphics either, I think at worst it's ugly, mostly it's just kinda bleh. Is the game using FXAA? Cause the whole screen seems somewhat blurred to me.

It seems like there might be FXAA in the menus (like when creating the character), but not during normal gameplay. At least with post-processing off, which I'm not turning back on for sake of my retinas.

Zoibie

Only got to play about 10 minutes of it. So far I like it, will have to play more obviously but the only niggle I have is the weird camera acceleration (although I haven't looked in the settings yet.)

It seems like there might be FXAA in the menus (like when creating the character), but not during normal gameplay. At least with post-processing off, which I'm not turning back on for sake of my retinas.

It would be a very bizarre thing to have it on only for menus tbh, it wouldn't surprise me from the look of the game if it was using FXAA during gameplay. This is why PC games should give advanced graphics options :/

I enjoyed what I played but had audio problems with conversations and music. Good game though. I wished they would have launched further from Skyrim.

Top Bottom