• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur demo impressions thread [Up On 360/Origin/Steam/U.S. PSN]

Hannar

It seems like there might be FXAA in the menus (like when creating the character), but not during normal gameplay. At least with post-processing off, which I'm not turning back on for sake of my retinas.

Yeah, the more advanced visual options are only accessible at the main menu (at least in the demo), unfortunately.

Does anyone have a list of demo unlocks for the Retail version and MassEffect3? (360)

I wasn't even considering getting this game as it looked fairly generic but I'm definitely going to pick this up now, maybe not for $60 but it should be a decent buy at $30 or $40.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hmm, I'm wanting to support smaller developers and all that but this demo just didn't click at all for me. Some of the guys working on the game were talking on the Bombcast about how they didn't need to do anything new with the fantasy genre, just do it well, and it just really shows in the worst way. On a creative level, this game simply bores me to no end. I am wanting to actively avoid quests and talking to people because I just want nothing to do with them. I don't care about them, I have no idea what is going on in this world or why what I'm doing matters, and looking around at stuff I just have no desire to get involved.

The combat, one of the lauded aspects of the game, feels like it has some potential but it is buried under a really translation to the keyboard and mouse. Movement just feels all wrong, and it's hard to get a solid sense of perspective of your character in relation to enemies. That issue is compounded by the rather poor targeting system (like, maybe even worse than The Witcher 2). It doesn't really help that the menu interface is a mess. And that the music and sound effects seem to jump between being absent and underwhelming. The sound becomes a real issue for the game, because it winds up leaving the world feeling rather gutted and doesn't draw attention away from the strings being pulled as the game operates.

So yeah, not really wanting to get involved with this game at all. Really let down by the demo.

Wallach

It would be a very bizarre thing to have it on only for menus tbh, it wouldn't surprise me from the look of the game if it was using FXAA during gameplay. This is why PC games should give advanced graphics options :/

Well, with post-processing off there is certainly not FXAA during gameplay. It's possible it is one of the things jammed into PP, but I turned it off when it tried to nuke my eyeballs with bloom and it is staying off.

anddo0

gonna wait for a sale. february is dedicated to vita.

game is okay. camera isn't that good. like the combat i guess. feels weird to me.

Yep. Feb is Vita month.

I enjoyed the demo. But this won't get purchased until the fall.

The game will do well though. It's not as generic as it looks on the surface. The combat works, and the world seems interesting enough.

Wallach

The camera has some weird momentum on it, can't control it very well.

Yeah, this is specific to the controller setup and it annoys me big time. It starts out at a slow speed and ramps up the longer you move the camera; who the hell thought that was a good idea? Why would I want a variable camera speed in such a tiny window of variability?

megalowho

Quite liked the demo, though it didn't floor me. The game pulls from known quantities that are easy to pick out but feels snappy and fun as a whole. Unfortunately the camera is way too zoomed in, and the camera control is too loose for my tastes. Will wait for more impressions upon release, nice taste though.

Edit: Adjusting camera sensitivity in the options does help, but there's still something off about it to me. I'm fighting it to look for secrets or square up against enemies.

Well, with post-processing off there is certainly not FXAA during gameplay. It's possible it is one of the things jammed into PP, but I turned it off when it tried to nuke my eyeballs with bloom and it is staying off.

It may be in the PP, I played with it on. I will play again tomorrow and mess around with the settings to see what works.

The camera still needs pulling back a good 5 metres at least though.

Astra

Have about 30 minutes left on my timer, and am loving it so far. My issues with it are very minor, and may very well be fixed with the final, retail release of the game.
Much the same as others have pointed out, the camera feels weird, and it's a little too close.
The closeness doesn't bother me as much as the awkward feeling of rotating the camera.

Character movement feels a little off, as well. It's very slight, and not a big deal, but it's still pretty noticeable for me. Just feels like my character's responsiveness to analogue input isn't as tight as I'd like it to be. Again, a very minor complaint that doesn't hinder my enjoyment of the game in any significant way.

I personally love the art style of the game. I haven't played WoW, or even looked into the game at all, so the comparison isn't bothersome for me. I do love the more realistic style of Skyrim as well, but it's not something I want all the time, so it's nice to have this art style as a change of pace.

I am enjoying the combat so far, as well. It's quite simplistic right now, but that's to be expected. From what I've been reading, the combat opens up a lot more, and adds more variety. Enjoying it as I am now, I'll likely be loving it later down the line.

Playing a Rogue character right now. Will likely hybrid her with sorcery, as I picked the Dark Elf. I tend to default to this style of play. Well, it's usually a stealth/archer type, or a stealth/mage type.
Looking forward to the retail release, so I can mess around with the different destinies, and skills, and see what hybrid I come up with for my character.

Very likely day one for me. Few other games coming out in the coming weeks, but they can take a backseat to this, and await a sale before I purchase them. Been playing Skyrim on the PS3, so I've been stopped prematurely by the technical issues, and haven't had a satisfying fantasy RPG fix. Hopefully KoA:R will satiate that.

Wallach

Good to know. Anyone know if I missed out on any unlocks because my game froze with 15 minutes left in the demo.

Yeah, unfortunately there is an unlock when the timer ends. I think it is an ME3 item unlock, I don't remember though.

It may be in the PP, I played with it on. I will play again tomorrow and mess around with the settings to see what works.

The camera still needs pulling back a good 5 metres at least though.

Agreed. I don't really get why the camera is up so damn close with no way to manually change the distance.

Wow, apologies in that case.

It does show up on Origin too. Maybe EA has learned from their disasters with Crysis?

EA has said from the beginning that their issues with Steam specifically relate to the restrictions Steam imposes on patch distribution. Games like Battlefield or SWTOR which require patching regularly and often probably cannot live with these restrictions, while mostly single player games aren't affected by the patching process so much.

But I know it's cool to hate EA, so carry on.

Nabs

EA has said from the beginning that their issues with Steam specifically relate to the restrictions Steam imposes on patch distribution. Games like Battlefield or SWTOR which require patching regularly and often probably cannot live with these restrictions, while mostly single player games aren't affected by the patching process so much.

F2P games on Steam use their own patcher, and everything else doesn't seem to have any problems with Steam patching. Battlefield 3 has had what, a total of 2 patches since release?

GreekWolf

I wanted so bad to love this game I really did but it didn't grab me at all. I think Skyrim ruined every other rpg for me
Exactly how I feel, as well.

Chugging through the demo was a strange experience for me. Within the first several rooms, I was fairly impressed with the colorful world, gameplay mechanics and production values. It almost seemed like a shoulder-cam Torchlight. However, somewhere before the troll room, I just... lost interest. I'm not really sure how to explain it, other than it seems to be missing the soul/charisma of a top-tier WRPG.

I realize it's unfair, but Skyrim (even with it's considerable faults) has set a standard in production values, that precious few titles will ever approach. It's possible I'll pick up Amalur at some point in the future but, for now, I think it's a pass.

KorrZ

Really not feeling this game at all. I quit with about 29 minutes left on my demo timer, I tried to give it a fair shake, played around with all the different weapons I could find. There are just too many things about this game that I don't find compelling.

The art style/graphics just look incredibly dated, good art style goes a long way, but I don't think the art style is good period. It just looks like a poor mash up of Fable & WoW. The combat has just replaced dice rolls with button mashing X & Y, and a very shitty targeting system. The camera moves way too slow even cranked up at full sensitivity, it's way too zoomed in on your character. I absolutely hate the way it black bars and zooms in the camera when you enter a conversation , it kills the immersion and just looks plain bad to me. I didn't find any of the questing or dialogue to be very compelling. Honestly, the game just gives a general feeling of "meh" all around. This feels like an MMO that was ported to the consoles and stripped of all it's online features.

/endrant. I'm pretty disappointed...I was looking forward to this game.

hamchan

So, apparently the game thinks I'm mashing the A button and all NPC dialogue is getting skipped automatically. It's also skipping through all the story driven menus until I need to confirm with X like where you have to dump points or choose your fate. REALLY annoying. This is a glitch, not just the demo pushing me through, right?

Now I'm getting this on the PS3 version.

So, apparently the game thinks I'm mashing the A button and all NPC dialogue is getting skipped automatically. It's also skipping through all the story driven menus until I need to confirm with X like where you have to dump points or choose your fate. REALLY annoying. This is a glitch, not just the demo pushing me through, right?

same thing happened to me and I was using a new controller.

Cheech

Fired up the PC version. After the cinematic, I could hear audio but no graphics. Totally black screen. I could hit escape and bail, but just black screen. Great.

So I fire up the 360 version. Humming along. Nice mix of Fable and Dragon Age.

I perform my second stealth kill, and the game freezes. I have to manually power off my Xbox.

This game MIGHT just be a piece of shit. Sorry. Had high hopes with the pedigree behind it.

spirity

But there's a bunch of MMO's on Steam. GW, FF11, Rift, Eve, EQ2, Aion etc. They're all patched regularly too, I assume.

JudgeN

Really enjoying this, might have to pick it up day one.

Camera is really odd though and is anyone getting random stuttering during combat? Fraps doesn't show it dropping FPS just stuttering on my GTX 470.

jogarrr

Loved the demo. Combat was fun and varied. Each weapon felt different. I really prefer this combat over something like Skyrim.

I liked the way different enemies behaved differently and followed different attack patterns. Fighting a group of Kobolds was different then fighting a group of wolves. It was pretty awesome how the wolves surrounded me and took turns charging at me one by one. Also, I was pretty happy when I realized that Kobolds have a 'tell' before they throw their spears (was getting pounded before that).

Looking through the ability trees and destinies I'm definitely going with a jack of all trades character. Probably going to focus on Sword/Bow or Daggers/Bow. And I think I'm going to try my first playthrough on hard difficulty.

Massa

This download is going extra slow for me, I don't think it will be done by the time Mass Effect 3 comes out.

AwRy108

Ok, played through the PS3 demo, and can already see this game consuming a good chunk of my free time. The combat sets a new bar for the genre, and the production values are high throughout. Also, I was very surprised by the use of surround sound--everything sounded very spacial on my home theater system. I do have a few requests that I hope get addressed:

• Seems way too easy on the Normal setting, which then doesn't encourage you to take advantage of the robust combat system
  • The addition of a combo meter or a combo counter would really add to the fun of the combat
  • Make the HUD fade and/or inactive parts disappear until they're needed (some of this stems from me being a Plasma TV owner)
  • Blacksmithing: after an item has been broken down, the components should be listed the next time you want to break down the same item

IMHO, the PS3 version runs much better than I anticipated. Aliasing is quite noticeable when you first jump in, but the effect seems to become less noticeable as time passes. The fps seem to hover around 30, with dips to mid 20's and jumps to low 40's; but the experience never becomes unplayable because of the fps fluctuating. Also, zero screen tearing. Overall, the game performs like we've come to expect with open world streaming engines on the consoles.

hamchan

So having played the demo a decent length of time I've encountered a whole load of annoying bugs and glitches that I hope is fixed for the final product. Also I hope they give more camera options, especially the choice to zoom out a bit.

I quite like the vision of trying to make a combat system like God of War's and combining that with an RPG but I wasn't feeling that at all to be honest. The combat system is simple and felt much more like Fable to me.

AwRy108

I liked the way different enemies behaved differently and followed different attack patterns. Fighting a group of Kobolds was different then fighting a group of wolves. It was pretty awesome how the wolves surrounded me and took turns charging at me one by one. Also, I was pretty happy when I realized that Kobolds have a 'tell' before they throw their spears (was getting pounded before that).

I enjoyed this, too (esp. the encounter with the wolves); but I also felt that, overall, there was so little threat of death that eventually (after a few hours of playtime) you would just stop caring and start mashing.

F2P games on Steam use their own patcher, and everything else doesn't seem to have any problems with Steam patching. Battlefield 3 has had what, a total of 2 patches since release?

That's great, but that doesn't invalidate my point, or EA's reason, because the fact of the matter is we don't know the details of the restrictions that Steam imposes.

Postman

Banned
eh.. was not impressed at all. They tried to make it look like WOW but failed. The controls and camera are clunky. It really looks and feels like a 3rd tier ps2 game.

Thumbs down.

NBtoaster

That's great, but that doesn't invalidate my point, or EA's reason, because the fact of the matter is we don't know the details of the restrictions that Steam imposes.

The reason that I hear most often is Steam requires (since F2P game support) that all DLC be available on Steam, and EA don't want that.

IIRC Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2 were removed when their DLC was close to release, so it makes sense.

Hi2u

Banned
I loved the demo. It was refreshing to play a rpg that ticks all the boxes. It even had something not even the 15th iteration of a Final Fantasy game has figured out yet, or other games like Skyrim. That is, being able to get out of the menu screen by just pressing a button once. No matter which layer of the menu you're currently in instead of having to press B or another button multiple times to go back to the actual game. Xenoblade also thought of this too.

Anyway, lovely graphics, interesting story and great combat system. I just hope you don't revisit places for the 458th time for side quests like in Dragon Age/Fable.

Gattsu25

Banned
I enjoyed this, too (esp. the encounter with the wolves); but I also felt that, overall, there was so little threat of death that eventually (after a few hours of playtime) you would just stop caring and start mashing.
Yeah, this is definitely a game that is meant to be played on Hard

Ceebs

The reason that I hear most often is Steam requires (since F2P game support) that all DLC be available on Steam, and EA don't want that.

IIRC Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2 were removed when their DLC was close to release, so it makes sense.

Almost certain it's this. They do not want you to be able to buy things through the game that bypass the storefront.

I sorta side with EA on this one myself to a degree as long as Steam is not serving the data for the DLC on their bandwidth. Then again Steam's mandate keeps all of your content licences straight since it's all part of the same store.

No real right or wrong answer here.

rockx4

eh.. was not impressed at all. They tried to make it look like WOW but failed. The controls and camera are clunky. It really looks and feels like a 3rd tier ps2 game.

Thumbs down.

I'm feeling the same at the moment, my $41.99 Amazon preorder for the DD version isn't looking too good now. Camera and controls feel clunky. Graphics are underwhelming. Maybe I've been spoiled by recent PC games. Hoping that at least the camera is just a demo issue and has been resolved.

So this game is way more my style after having been really disappointed in Skyrim's horrendous combat that turned me off the game. Although it shares some slight resemblance to Fable, I prefer the openness and the more involved combat the Fable was lacking.
I thought the dialogue was your average gobbledygook fantasy stuff that goes right over my head but that be because I have no idea who the writer is even though I heard he was famous.

Aeana

Exactly how I feel, as well.

Chugging through the demo was a strange experience for me. Within the first several rooms, I was fairly impressed with the colorful world, gameplay mechanics and production values. It almost seemed like a shoulder-cam Torchlight. However, somewhere before the troll room, I just... lost interest. I'm not really sure how to explain it, other than it seems to be missing the soul/charisma of a top-tier WRPG.

I realize it's unfair, but Skyrim (even with it's considerable faults) has set a standard in production values, that precious few titles will ever approach. It's possible I'll pick up Amalur at some point in the future but, for now, I think it's a pass.

I understand being more impressed with Skyrim, but the whole concept of a game ruining another game is kinda batty to me. I mean, does that mean you will never enjoy another RPG again if it isn't as good as Skyrim in every way? That kinda makes me sad. :|

daedalius

Just crashed at the battle after fateweaver, sigh.

Game seems interesting, but not totally digging the controls. Makes me want Darksiders 2 more, though.

atomsk

Party Pooper
My issue with the camera isn't so much the speed (which is weird, but I can adjust), but that I want to invert the left/right (not up/down)

It feels backwards from most 3rd person game I play

I mentioned the camera controls on a friends facebook page... and oddly enough she was friends with a senior programmer at Big Huge who replied asking me what I thought was wrong with the camera.

That was my "wtf" moment for the week.

Emitan

I broke the Ruby Ring quest. I killed the troll with the LT + RT special attack thing and the body disappeared and I couldn't get the ring.

Anyway, game is fantastic and I will be there at launch.

I'm pretty stunned by the amount of negative comments. I know y'all have your opinions and ways of tickling your fancy, but for a demo, I thought it really showed a lot of great stuff. The enormity and depth is equally impressive since this is the developer's first project.

Lain

Started playing the PC demo, I mostly like what little I've played of it, but I don't like the camera having some momentum (playing with a controller), as I want the camera to always rotate at the same speed, not start at a certain speed and then accelerate.
The menu does feel clunky, when going to equip items. but that's really minor.
The dialogue being drown out by the music is bad.
The invisible walls around water/etc and the no jump is really disappointing.

I dig the graphics, it's not super high def stuff, but it's pretty nice to look at and the style is just perfect for my taste: colorful and not realistic without being excessive.

I hope they'll do something about the camera for people playing with a controller.

Edit: Taking back the thing about invisible wall around water, that was just in the tutorial part. Got out of the tutorial and it's just awesome swimming. Good job!

Top Bottom