• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur demo impressions thread [Up On 360/Origin/Steam/U.S. PSN]

epmode

That probably means you're doing something wrong.
Kinda. The default x360ce I paste into all of my games didn't work either.

After I made 3 additional copies of xinput1_3.dll and named them
xinput1_1.dll
xinput1_2.dll
xinput9_1_0.dll

the game detected my controller properly.

..of course, now my mouse cursor disappears and makes it difficult to bypass the EA login (since just pressing Enter doesn't work).

zulfate

i cant seem to play it, when i go into menus my screen goes black but i can still hear the game, i can exit out and it will be fine but after cut scenes or anything that goes blank for a second and my screen goes black. i am playing the pc version btw

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I had to steal a potion from the alchemy shop for one of the quests. Downstairs, and the guard was in the next room. I entered stealth mode, and could see his eye was mostly filled. I checked the desk, and I had about a 13% chance to steal. I backed out, and watched the guard a bit, and the eye emptied. I checked the desk again, and it was now at 100% chance.

So, just make sure no eyes are filled in the building. (I know, they can see through walls, I guess)

Come on, I wouldn't have missed that! :p

No eyes were filled. Guard was outside, eye was still visible for him. Or guard maybe was invisible. Who knows.

i cant seem to play it, when i go into menus my screen goes black but i can still hear the game, i can exit out and it will be fine but after cut scenes or anything that goes blank for a second and my screen goes black. i am playing the pc version btw

Turn off Post Processing, you'll be good.

Nabs

xinput1_1.dll
xinput1_2.dll
xinput9_1_0.dll

..of course, now my mouse cursor disappears and makes it difficult to bypass the EA login (since just pressing Enter doesn't work).

crazy

Lain

Really not liking how the game's "How to Kill Innocents" tutorial made me fail a quest :/

Is that the one when you enter the village? I thought those guards were bad guys so I started attacking and ended up murdering the whole village XD
It was quite cool though.

Emitan

Is that the one when you enter the village? I thought those guards were bad guys so I started attacking and ended up murdering the whole village XD
It was quite cool though.

For me it triggered when near a very important NPC for a side quest

Ghost23

Man, people are attacking this game to the ground. I loved the demo as far as I played. The art style is fantastic, the combat is actually fun, and the story is somewhat interesting! So far what I see in this thread is people complaining about things that occur in demos: low level enemies, ordinary weapons, and bugs. I will bet that enemies will become more varied and the bugs will be fixed. It's been said that the demo was built with a 2 month old build.

Day 1.0

This has likely been asked a million times, but do we need to keep the demo on our HDD until ME3 comes out for the bonus gear or what?

epmode

It's a good idea to have those extra files at all times. The vast majority of games look for xinput1_3.dll but every once in a while you'll come across a game that wants one of the other files. There's no downside to keeping them all so it works out!

Zakkath

This has likely been asked a million times, but do we need to keep the demo on our HDD until ME3 comes out for the bonus gear or what?

At the end of the 45 timer, I got a message saying the item had been unlocked for ME3. So I don't think you need to keep the demo. Just play it to the end.

At the end of the 45 timer, I got a message saying the item had been unlocked for ME3. So I don't think you need to keep the demo. Just play it to the end.

So the demo must store a small separate save file on your HDD then? Similar to how full games work. You can delete the game but keep your save file. I'll assume that's how it works and check it out tomorrow.

Wallach

So the demo must store a small separate save file on your HDD then? Similar to how full games work. You can delete the game but keep your save file. I'll assume that's how it works and check it out tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure it will only unlock the items if you log in to your EA/Origin account, so that unlock is probably just flags something on their end. If you aren't logged in I don't think it will unlock anything.

It's not saving a file to your harddrive, it's sending EA a message that it's unlocked and it's flagged on your account. When you start up ME3 or Amalur and sign into the EA whatever, it'll read that flag and unlock the content.

Twinduct

Enjoyed it. I'm faulting weird issues to the the idea that this build is 3 months old.
Played on PC.
Some things I did not like:

- The menu system is pretty annoying and it feels like I always have to press each button twice before I get the desired result.

- I get these weird stuttering thing whenever I start to engage in combat, It would like stop flatout for 3 seconds, then go on. I attribute this to the old build.

- What the fuck is up with the drawing distance? I hope that some INI hero comes and saves the day (or alteast hope the engine allows that to happen).

- If the camera was any closer to the character, you would be us his ass.

Looking forward to this game, as I get a fable 1 vibe from it. I like the people involved and I like the art/ music.

But gonna hold off until I can confirm that some of the bugs are fixed.

Grisby

Thats how the Gears 3 beta unlocks worked. I might still hold onto the demo though.

I love it. I might not play it day 1 but damn it, I'll buy it day 1. The artstyle is great and the framerate is a million times better than Skyrim so far. The action feels really good as well.

The only negative thing I have right now is the camera is a bit too close for my liking.

NBtoaster

I enjoyed it. The combat is solid, the loot is interesting, and quests are good (like the wolf one). I don't like the visual style and the universe doesn't seem particularly interesting yet.

Seems worth a purchase, maybe not at launch but sometime this year.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Seems like a fairly standard fantasy hack and slash, unless I'm missing the big selling point of the game.

Aaron

Menu and UI are TERRIBLE. Loved everything else. This is exactly what I wanted Fable 2 to be, instead of the farting life sim that we got, so this is an easy buy.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
-Download and install on Steam
-Launch, fail. Launch, fail. Launch, fail.
-Disable D3DOverrider, and launch again.
-Defaults to some goofy resolution and low settings on my higher-end rig
-Adjust res
-Game crashes
-Launch game
-Adjust res
-Screen goes black
-Can't CTRLALTDEL, can't alt-tab
-Hard reset my computer
-Launch game again
-Still at goofy res

-Uninstall

1295856848042.jpg

Rufus

very good. on the fly control change for pc.
That just fucked me. I looked at the controls to find out what engaged sneak mode, because control was sprint instead and c didn't seem to do anything. Found out to my confusion that it was c after all. I thought: OK, remap it to something else, maybe it'll work then. No, I can't remap anything. The game immediately assigns anything to i for some reason. Worst thing though, I am now stuck in defensive position, holding my shield up. All I can do is dodge roll. Uhm...

The game seems neat so far though. 5 minutes in. Ahem. Will try again right now, see if restarting the game will fix it. Going back to the menu didn't. By the way, there were no checkpoints, not even after character creation. Bothersome.

greenry

Really liked the feel of the game. From the way your character controlled to the look of the world was really appealing. The videos released looked semi-interesting but after playing it will definitely get it when it comes out.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Didn't expect to like this as much as I did. It has a lighthearted seriousness about it. It animates well too. The art and character designs just have a certain polish to them that makes them quite unique. Reminds me of some kind of Tim Burton movie like faces. It's a pretty game and very enjoyable. I can't say I will buy it when it first hits but this one is going to my wanted games list. The world looks huge too. Runs at 60fps with no compromises or slowdowns. I did turn on PP as advised. Downloaded on Steam with no issues. Beat it and explored for about 20 minutes. Really like it.

reckoningdemo2012-01-mjzi9.png

reckoningdemo2012-01-0wb6l.png

reckoningdemo2012-01-kxa54.png

reckoningdemo2012-01-rpy2x.png

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
To elaborate on my last post:

I didn't play enough of it, so I'll try it again tomorrow (disclaimer).

-Animations and movement felt janky.
-Combat is very simple (Mash X)
-Conversation system is very basic, but I DO like that it seems similar to Morrowind. Once -you learn a term, you can ask anyone about it. Great to have that back.
-Inventory isn't seamless enough, but it works. Minor complaint.
-Graphics aren't bad, but the jaggies are really noticeable (360).

Is there something that is supposed to set this game apart from other Fantasy RPGs?

Orayn

Went in not expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised.
  • The art direction, while not mind-blowingly creative, looked great. A very clean, pretty fantasy aesthetic that reminded me of Fable, World of Warcraft, Torchlight, and Dungeon Defenders.
  • Combat was fun. A bit button mash-y and far too easy, but I liked the general flow of things and the ability to switch from one weapon to another in mid-combo.
  • Animations were smooth and looked very nice. Character design was also pretty good.
  • The story and setting seemed to draw more from mythology than your standard Tolkien/D&D stuff, which felt refreshing.
  • The technical side was a mixed bag, but more good than bad. I found the game engine to be tremendously well-optimized, maintaining a sold 60 FPS on my aging computer. I got a few weird audio glitches, random pauses, and some graphical artifacts, but nothing that interrupted my enjoyment too much.
All in all, it felt like action-RPG comfort food. Not a jumping-up-and-down-with-hype GOTY experience, but something that could easily hold my interest for tens of hours. It's going to be a buy for me.

bengraven

- combat feels exactly like the Fable series
- add me to the list who isn't sure why we have wheels AND dialogue trees
- colorful, possibly interesting world
- gear looks decent - love me some loot
- combat and looting feels really really shallow - the second I realized I could break barrels I got a bit nervous

Will still buy when I'm done with Skyrim and Witcher 2.

gate777

Download took over 2 hours since it was 2.5GB. A worthwhile wait though since I liked what I played so far (got all the way to the first town and then turned it off).

I'll most likely pick it up.

Rufus

The audio will trigger too early or not at all on occasion. Encel talked about the soul well before I'd even opened the door. Didn't seem right. Then there was the first fight you witness (the one the dwarf/gnome was supposed to lose immediately instead of fighting the soldier off to the stairs on the left?), that had no weapon sounds for me.

bengraven

Anyone else playing on PC with a gamepad have this glitch:

When a dialogue list popped up, the cursor started going up and down the dialogue list uncontrolably, as if I was holding down the thumbstick.

But I wasn't and if it had set itself in an odd position then it would have affected my character's control or the menu controls, but I was able to move around with the thumbstick freely outside of dialogue.

Mr.Fresh

I just had the demo (360) freeze on me. I started fighting the first humanoid enemies you see when everyone on screen just stopped moving and nothing on my controller worked besides the Xbox button. Everyone just kept doing their standing animations and the wind was blowing.

Wallach

For KB/M controls, I just stumbled on the fact that on the menus and inventory, 1-3 are bound to context menu options. That is, pressing 2 on the loot window with an item highlighted activates the Compare function, pressing 3 sends it to junk, etc. If you consider them like the 360 buttons, then:

1 = A
2 = X
3 = Y

Works that way throughout all of the menus as far as I can tell; I noticed that they tell you to use 3 to flip between map modes and figured I'd check the other menus.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'm enjoying it. Gets a lot better once you head out of the tutorial area and you can spread your wings a little.

I don't like the camera system even with the setting at its lowest for stability and would prefer a lock-on button. I began getting used to it toward the end however so maybe it is just me. Also why there is no jump button is beyond me, though I suppose it is more to keep control of the environment development than anything else.

I like the style a lot. It will be ripped apart and throw against the wall by those who do not like the graphical style of Fable or WoW but I enjoy the cartoonish appeal. I read someone complain about having another silent protagonist and that it was 2012.. but then I recall Skyrim doing the exact same thing with its playable character.

Played the tutorial bit a couple times and fooled around a bit in town. I definitely like its visual style and the fact it's not a demanding game. I did notice a few things mentioned before such as the awkwardness of the menus (I too felt like I had to click a couple times on something to access that option) and its seemingly simplistic combat, but other than that I liked whatever little of the demo I played.

I don't think it's going to be a day one purchase for me, but it'll definitely go into the ol' wishlist and make a great impulse buy a few months down the road.

Rufus

For KB/M controls, I just stumbled on the fact that on the menus and inventory, 1-3 are bound to context menu options. That is, pressing 2 on the loot window with an item highlighted activates the Compare function, pressing 3 sends it to junk, etc. If you consider them like the 360 buttons, then:

1 = A
2 = X
3 = Y

Works that way throughout all of the menus as far as I can tell; I noticed that they tell you to use 3 to flip between map modes and figured I'd check the other menus.
That's why pressing 1 consumed a health potion when I tried to map it to 1. Guess I'll just play this with a controller instead.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
PS3 demo here:

I got through the dungeon, and ran around briefly. The audio bug was driving me crazy, though, so I stopped, deciding to just wait for the retail release.

I enjoyed the combat, and the visual style. It looks like it has some potential for depth with the combat and various skills.

I was set on becoming a Rogue, but after playing with the magic stuff, I may go Mage instead. Or a combination of the two.

The story seemed interesting enough (I don't require much from the fantasy genre). This game went from a title I never heard of until yesterday, to a game I'll most certainly purchase if my funds permit it.

It certainly seems like it will be a sleeper hit. The media has a knack for ignoring games from companies that don't produce a Call of Duty or Elder Scrolls, but hopefully word of mouth will give this one a chance, as the developers seem to have their heads on straight in terms of their design philosophy. Even if the end product doesn't/can't encompass everything they set out to do, at least the passion is there.

Also, as a guy who owns all 3 Fable games, I think the comparison to Fable is a little unfair. This game is nothing like the Fable series in look or game play. It actually has a look all it's own, and a lot more polished than the latter Fable games (I loved the first one, but 2 and 3 disappointed me greatly). The combat is also far more enjoyable than the later Fables. I think Kingdoms has it's own identity that it doesn't need to be compared to a mediocre action/rpg series like Fable.

Erudite

Played it for about an hour before the demo unfortunately decided to crash.

It's definitely a solid game. Hits all the beats it strives to achieve- Decent combat, a sizeable number of options when leveling up, several dialogue options (too much, if anything. Found a lot of them to be redundant.), reward for exploration, crafting, etc.

It doesn't do any of it exceptionally well, and having just come off of Skyrim, I'll likely wait a bit before I pick the game up so I might appreciate it more. The $59.99 (PC) price tag isn't exactly swaying me to pick it up right away either.

Here's a link to some screenshots I took. (Maxed out @ 1080p)
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.asp...4088B85E24D106E2!128&authkey=!AHZs9Ng8gPwxZ1w

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

xinput1_1.dll
xinput1_2.dll
xinput9_1_0.dll

Oh yeah, I forgot about the various names thing. I've never had to do that before. Thanks for posting something useful!

I'm using a PS2 controller with a USB adapter, incidentally. Does MotionInJoy work with that?

It's solid but not really spectacular, imo.

I enjoyed my time with the demo but it never really drew me in like a game like this has the potential to do.

ironcreed

Banned
Other than the audio dropping and skipping over sections of dialogue when talking to someone nearly 90% of the time, I loved it. Played it on PS3.

- The gameplay is fast, fluid and fun.
- The leveling system is very flexible and will be greatly enhanced by the Destiny cards.
- The animations and effects are as great as expected.
- The world is beautiful, magical and atmospheric.
- There is a ton of loot and gear.

Basically, it is everything I wanted it to be, but the audio dropping and the constant skipping segments of dialogue soured it. Should be a simple fix, but I am hoping that this is just not even in the retail build. Pre-order remains firmly intact.

Top Bottom