• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur demo impressions thread [Up On 360/Origin/Steam/U.S. PSN]

Wallach

Camera definitely needs to be fixed. It is pretty annoying even playing it on with the 360 pad. I will probably try a mage-ish run later with kb/m. PP I don't know if I'll miss it since the game looks perfectly fine without it (though a little late-last-gen-ish but that's not worth bringing up), plus I typically hate the use of bloom anyway.

I maybe put a couple hours in the first Fable so I am no authority on how it's combat works but KOAR's combat is pretty fun. Adding that I can mix and match mage/warrior/rouge weapons and skills is interesting indeed. I really want to try doing a mage/warrior combo since I thought alternating between even the tutorial sword and fire staff (and the spell) was pretty fun already.

Like I mentioned earlier, if you want to see what PP effects look like on an AMD card, just force AA and they will work correctly. The motion blur is alright I guess, but the bloom is real fucking bad.

Also, I very much recommend not playing with the 360 pad unless you're doing it for convenience. The game simply controls a lot better with the camera on the mouse. Need the full version to come out so you can re-bind the movement/attack/spellcasting keys, for some reason they can't be adjusted in the demo build. Also one thing they don't make very clear is that 1/2/3 are hotkeys for PC menus, so you don't need to click everything (they correspond to A/X/Y respectively).

Edit - Note that when using KB/M you basically need to crank the camera sensitivity down pretty much to the bottom. I have it maybe two clicks to the right of the lowest setting.

Lain

Finished a play-through of the demo, which was nice but also a bit boring: since I fucked up and slaughtered the first village, I just kept slaughtering everything.

Initially I thought the invisible walls stopping you from going into water sucked. Then I thought that was only in the tutorial, as after you leave the tutorial area, you get to swim. Then I kept finding invisible walls that prevented me from going into water.
So in the end, there are invisible walls ruining the immersion, and that sucks.

Loading is another aspect that is bad for me. Loading takes too long and it loads everytime you enter a house or you change zone. I hope the final game has quicker loading, because that is another immersion killing thing.

I'm glad to read all these good impressions on the combat. I was looking forward this game after seeing a few interviews with one of the key designer, and it seems like the game delivers on its promise :)

I'm a bit worried that the game will bomb no matter how good it is though. Whoever thought it was a great idea to release an RPG between Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 needs to be brought to justice. EA is sending the game to death here. I can't wait to try the demo for myself.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Cool combat and stuff, but hate the WoW art style.

chifanpoe

day 1 for me after playing it on the PS3 and the PC. Prob get it on the PS3 as that is what I will also play ME3 on.

Really fun game. Liked playing with daggers and the bow.

Played it on 360 and about to try on PS3

Quickie thoughts:

+ Like someone else said, appreciated how the armor types play into the classes ...like fairly obviously.

+ I actually dig the camera work for the most part believe it or not. I dig how you shift into a OTS view everytime you enter a new room. Once I got used the camera seemingly only moving when you initially move and then becoming indepent when you fiddle with the RS, I was fine.

+ Surprisingly good music. Especially Character sheet tune

+ Impressive sense of scale

+ Even though i'm still indifferent to the art design, I love how colorful everything is

+ Combat is the complete opposite of Skyrim/Oblivion, so hence I think it's pretty damn rad

+ Good character creation system. Women look like women

...and the stuff I didn't care for or was just indifferent too:

- Game is a bit too high fantasy for my tastes, hence my criticism of the art style and such. I mean, I didn't play DnD growing up nor read Dragon Lance novels and stuff, so I don't have the taste for it. Maybe it will grow on me though.

But yeah, can't wait to play it again on triple. There's ALOT to like/love here.

Cool combat and stuff, but hate the WoW art style.
This. Combat is well done for an RPG, and the game looks great and runs smooth on PC, but the presentation is lacking.

The UI is bush league amateur material, the voice work bland, and the world entirely generic. It's all very safe, and unexciting. In the context of PC RPGs, I'd rather play just about anything you can name.

This. Combat is well done for an RPG, and the game looks great and runs smooth on PC, but the presentation is lacking.

The UI is bush league amateur material, the voice work bland, and the world entirely generic. It's all very safe, and unexciting. In the context of PC RPGs, I'd rather play just about anything you can name.

I can agree that everything is borderline bland as well ...but I can also understand that this is EXACTLY what others want.
I'm just trying to get a feel if I can get into or not.

UI in particular is very ...yeah generic, but I also love how quick and easy it is. Substance over style for once.
Shit Call of Duty has gotten away with this for years with it's barebones front-end.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Honestly... I don't know what to think. Maybe by the time my head loads, I'll have an opinion.

Yeah, its buggy, boring opening, art style didn't inspire confidence. But something about how quick combat was impressed me.

Honestly... I don't know what to think. Maybe by the time my head loads, I'll have an opinion.

Yeah, its buggy, boring opening, art style didn't inspire confidence. But something about how quick combat was impressed me.

Boring maybe, but I certainly appreciated how quick you get into actual gameplay with it. Even able to skp cutscenes.

Really had no interest in the game before the demo now I'll probably pick it up. Demo was quite fun. Great combat and love the art style.

branny

Okay, after going through twice, I think I'll pass on this game at launch even though I was really hyped for it. I left the demo disappointed and bored.

The world, story, and art just aren't doing it for me. It feels like I'm playing a private server of some MMO. Or, like, Phantasy Star Online single player. It seems like there's a huge world, but it's all a hollow, lonely facade. Granted, the demo is limited, but I didn't feel particularly engaged. You can't get very far into the main quest because an area is blocked off, and the other quests seem standard fare (follow this NPC here and there, fetch quests, etc.). It's also weird to see so many reagents to be littered right along every linear pathway coming off of Skyrim. Thinking about that game, a lot of things feel like a downgrade here, to be honest--lockpicking is a quick example.

The combat seems a cut above something like Fable, but, after looking at all the skill trees and Destinies or whatever, it doesn't seem like it'd remain interesting throughout the course of the game. You can do a lot, as many skills and techniques have various effects, but that flexibility doesn't seem particularly meaningful, at least on Normal in the demo. I'm certain the combat is a strong point in this game; it's just not as I'd hoped. I guess if one were to take advantage of respeccing and constantly changed things up, it'd be more exciting. I'm truly intrigued by skill builds that some people have already posted/theorized (and how loot effects would factor into things), but creating a character with interesting strategies in mind won't dispel something bound to get repetitive without a strong feeling of growth or boring without proper opposition. Enemies and encounters seem promising from the demo (though you'd probably want to play the real thing on Hard), but the tuning of fine details here and there feels off enough that those looking to play strictly for Amalur's combat may be disappointed.

The camera has issues, but it does the job. When there are more enemies around you, it zooms out decently enough, so the closeness is less of a problem. There are still times when enemies appear behind you in battle completely out of sight. Rotating it still feels a little unwieldy and sluggish, whether it's the acceleration or responsiveness in general. I don't know why the "look" feature doesn't snap into first-person.

There are soooo many technical issues with the PS3 demo. I think this is the number one thing pushing me away from the game. The sound completely glitched out my first time through, as did the dialog by skipping everything automatically. There are times when I'd enter an area without a floor (seeing the world below and some afterimage of any characters moving over it), occasions when enemy skills would glitch the ground into a stretched out texture, and NPCs that would simply disappear for a split second during conversation or have some unnatural bit of animation. Sometimes I'd get stuck in aggro/non-aggro mode, and I also had problems with the game refusing to accept prompts (like looting). The unlocked framerate constantly fluctuates, too. It's incredibly distracting, especially since it's often dropping for no apparent reason. Yikes.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm loving this now... for the most part.

They made a pretty big mistake having the camera zoom reset automatically when you move. That's one of the most frustrating things. Should be a toggle in the options menu to make the camera reset manual.

You should at least be able to walk while zoomed.

Would make a huge difference.

Such a rookie mistake.

Babalu.

disliked all of it.

art style. combat. camera. items/armor. narative. story.

the music was good though if I remember right.

I hate fable and oblivion/skyrim also so guess its not my type.

Although Dark souls is my favorite game this generation. This just seemed like a cheaper clunkier knockoff.

Okay, after going through twice, I think I'll pass on this game at launch even though I was really hyped for it. I left the demo disappointed and bored.

The world, story, and art just aren't doing it for me. It feels like I'm playing a private server of some MMO. Or, like, Phantasy Star Online single player. It seems like there's a huge world, but it's all a hollow, lonely facade. Granted, the demo is limited, but I didn't feel particularly engaged. You can't get very far into the main quest because an area is blocked off, and the other quests seem standard fare (follow this NPC here and there, fetch quests, etc.). It's also weird to see so many reagents to be littered right along every linear pathway coming off of Skyrim. A lot of things feel like a downgrade, to be honest--lockpicking is a quick example.

The combat seems a cut above something like Fable, but, after looking at all the skill trees and Destinies or whatever, it doesn't seem like it'd remain interesting throughout the course of the game. You can do a lot, as many skills and techniques have various effects, but that flexibility doesn't seem particularly meaningful, at least on Normal in the demo. I'm certain the combat is a strong point in this game; it's just not as I'd hoped. I guess if one were to take advantage of respeccing and constantly changed things up, it'd be more exciting. I'm truly intrigued by skill builds that some people have already posted/theorized (and how loot effects would factor into things), but creating a character with interesting strategies in mind won't dispel something bound to get repetitive without a strong feeling of growth or boring without proper opposition. Enemies and encounters seem promising from the demo (though you'd probably want to play the real thing on Hard), but the tuning of fine details here and there feels off enough that those looking to play strictly for Amalur's combat may be disappointed.

The camera has issues, but it does the job. When there are more enemies around you, it zooms out decently enough, so the closeness is less of a problem. There are still times when enemies appear behind you in battle completely out of sight. Rotating it still feels a little unwieldy and sluggish, whether it's the acceleration or responsiveness in general. I don't know why the "look" feature doesn't snap into first-person.

There are soooo many technical issues with the PS3 demo. I think this is the number one thing pushing me away from the game. The sound completely glitched out my first time through, as did the dialog by skipping everything automatically. There are times when I'd enter an area without a floor (seeing the world below and some afterimage of any characters moving over it), occasions when enemy skills would glitch the ground into a stretched out texture, and NPCs would simply disappear for a split second during conversation or have some unnatural bit of animation. Sometimes I'd get stuck in aggro/non-aggro mode, and I also had problems with the game refusing to accept prompts (like looting). The unlocked framerate constantly fluctuates, too. It's incredibly distracting, especially since it's often dropping for no apparent reason. Yikes.

Its the fact that they are going to create an MMO after the first part of the game.

1 Part - Repair the well of souls
2 Part - Use it as an entrance to an MMO

Really liked it overall. Very pretty and colorful, a bit too WoW-ish but still better than Skyrim's bland, dull grey/brown everything filthy art direction. Camera acceleration was weird but I got used to it after a while and stopped noticing it. Liked the combat but I wish it flowed better from combo to combo and between primary and secondary weapons. Wish it had jumping and other traversal elements like Darksiders. Also wish it had some beast races but that's just me.

Lots of glitches in this demo though, including large patches of ground texture not loading every time I exited a building. Had to restart because once I got outdoors various sound effects, voices and music kept dropping in and out.

I'll probably be getting it but not right away, it will have to wait until after XIII-2, Tales of Graces f, Dead Souls and probably Ni no Kuni if it arrives before Q2.

Klyka

Banned
People on PC who say the load times are too long need to alt tab out and back in during a load screen. It makes them load instantly.

demolitio

I like this more than I did Fable 3. The colors are gorgeous too!

I still want Big Huge Games to be fully restored and make Rise of Nations 2 though. :(

Evolved1

Pretty rough demo... the sound cuts out constantly. :/

Zeal

Banned
Got incredibly good vibes from the demo. Great combat, love the art style, mature story, enchanting music...I am definitely digging what I've played.

Keeping my preorder. I must have this.

Naeblish

Really liked it overall. Very pretty and colorful, a bit too WoW-ish but still better than Skyrim's bland, dull grey/brown everything filthy art direction.
I prefer skyrim's art direction (which i find amazing) way over this one. I'm so done with this cartoony wow/torchlight art style. But it's the only thing that i disliked. Combat, loot and character progression all seem awesome and addictive. Definitely buying this, but still gotta decide if i want it on PC or PS3. Only played it on PC yesterday, gonna try PS3 tonight.

I like this more than I did Fable 3. The colors are gorgeous too!

But that really doesn´t say anything does it? :)

It really seems like a interesting game, a really deep and complex action RPG with lots of content. But I don´t think I want to buy this unless I know that they have done some interesting stuff with the quests. It has to be something more than just "talk to him, punch those guys", and preferably with some choices about the outcome of them.

reektann

For me, this game feels like something that would be interesting, if it was 2002 still. I'm quite shocked at the amount of people who are into it - very odd. Maybe I'm mental or something but it all seemed incredibly stale and old fashioned. I made sure to play through both PC and 360 as I thought I was going mad being one of the very few not liking it?

branny

Can you not save the game in the demo? (PS3)
I didn't see the option to, so I don't think so. But if/when you play it again you can skip the intro, albeit with less experience and gold...unless that always was an option.

Just make sure you run the timer out completely at least once so that it unlocks the final thing for you (an ME3 weapon or something).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
For me, this game feels like something that would be interesting, if it was 2002 still. I'm quite shocked at the amount of people who are into it - very odd. Maybe I'm mental or something but it all seemed incredibly stale and old fashioned. I made sure to play through both PC and 360 as I thought I was going mad being one of the very few not liking it?

That's why I like it.

This has been addressed for the final version.

The world, story, and art just aren't doing it for me. It feels like I'm playing a private server of some MMO.

This is also why I like this game. It's my dream game. I get to play an MMO without having anyone to ruin it with talking or existing.

I hate fable and oblivion/skyrim also so guess its not my type.

Why do you keep trying to play these games then? Sounds like masochism.

-Mikey-

I've played through the demo twice. Once as a rogue and the other as a mage. At its core the gameplay is the same but each felt separate enough that I know it will be hard what to choose when the game releases.

I'm really impressed overall!

Naeblish

Well, for me, i like games that have fun combat, addictive loot and a skill tree that makes you go "they all sound awesome, i want them all!". Not many games get that right, and from the demo, this one seems to nail them.

Whoever thought it was a great idea to release an RPG between Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 needs to be brought to justice. EA is sending the game to death here.

I disagree. There is a "fantasy RPG" cadence that EA is kind of establishing. DA2 came out last year in Feb/Mar, and I bet DA3 comes out one year from now in Feb/Mar 2013. Another thing: putting it close (but not THAT close) to ME3 allows them to connect advertisement campaigns, which they've already done. Finally, I've already seen ads for this game. I actually get the feeling that they want this to succeed more than, say, Alice: Madness Returns or Shadows of the Damned.

Evolved1

The camera movement kinda sucks. That's really unfortunate, because everything else is clicking for me.

If you bump up the camera speed, it's serviceable. But unfortunately, the camera has momentum. So if you press it hard in any direction, it will keep moving in that direction even after you let off. It makes the game feel more clunky than it really is.

And I just have to reiterate what a mistake it was to not allow the player move around in the zoomed camera. It's so retarded that it almost makes me aggravated. I mean, how do you spend years making a game, and not realize that was a dumb decision? Basic stuff... just basic stuff they mess up.

It's like devs who port PC games to console and then give you the worst analog settings. Hey, good job on the port guys... too bad the most basic frickin thing is fubar! lol :(

Nose Master

I had this problem too, on console. A lot of the NPCs straight up wouldn't talk, and it would just flash what they said for a millisecond.

Still liked it, and that's the type of shit I imagine they can't leave unfixed for the retail product.

EDIT: Just got out of the tutorial area, the conversations having no sound / auto skipping kept happening, and then it full on locked up. Booooo.

Eusis

Well, that's stupid and obnoxious, looking at my Bioware social page it looks like the unlock is ONLY for the platform you played the demo on. Guess I'll just have to clear the starting area in the 360 version then let the system idle for 45 minutes.

Still, I liked the demo, just not enough to get it ASAP.

I liked the gameplay but man, the claustrophobicly close camera, the inability to alter the demo's settings (nonexistant) or even set the resolution to my monitor's native resolution, the distracting and constant LOD pop-in in the openworld didn't do it any favours.

I was really interested in Amalur because of how appealing its combat system looked. I liked that they demo'd the four basic class playstyles of warrior, archer, mage and rogue in the linear tutorial section. The thing is with The Old Republic eating up what free time I have to spend on gaming I don't know if I want to bite at 60$.

ShdwDrake

Banned
I liked the gameplay but man, the claustrophobicly close camera, the inability to alter the demo's settings (nonexistant) or even set the resolution to my monitor's native resolution, the distracting and constant LOD pop-in in the openworld didn't do it any favours.

I was really interested in Amalur because of how appealing its combat system looked. I liked that they demo'd the four basic class playstyles of warrior, archer, mage and rogue in the linear tutorial section. The thing is with The Old Republic eating up what free time I have to spend on gaming I don't know if I want to bite at 60$.

I can change the controls and the resolution on mine.

GlamFM

Banned
First review is in:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Asura’s Wrath, and NeverDead have all received their first reviews in the February issue of Xbox 360 Mag Italy.

Kingdoms of Alumar fared the best. The magazine gave the title a 9.0/10, saying that it’s a must-have game even if you’re not a fan of RPGs.

Hawk269

The LOD pop in is pretty bad in some parts of the game. I hope they have a fix for this for the PC version or a way to set a draw distance scale. But as it is, pop-in is pretty obvious.

The 2nd issue I have is with the camera like everyone else. I tried to get use to it and while it was serviceable and I was getting accustomed to it, I do hope they fix it though.

I did encounter a strange audio bug. I am playing the PC version and my battery on my 360 controller was low, so I disconnect the batter and put in a new one, but all the games audio is now very, very low. I mean everything, eviromental sounds, voice over everything is muted as if I turned my stereo down severaly. Loading into different parts of the game did not fix it.

Overall, I did enjoy the game a bit. I like these type of games and it comes accross as a Zelda, Darksiders, Fable love child to a certain extent. I was more excited for the game however prior to the demo. While I did enjoy it, it does seem to have alot of issues/tech issues etc. I know it is just a demo, but it was enough for me to do a wait and see instead of instant buy like I had planned.

I am hoping that they are able to fix the LOD issues and teh camera as those are the two biggest ones. Oh and for the love of everything that is holy, give us PC gamers a bit more graphic options...PLEASE! I cant stand bloom when it is over done and I cant stand DOF effects when it is overdone.

Jerykk

Banned
Everybody in the game is psychic. You get caught committing crimes even if there are no witnesses to it. Also, it has chance-to-loot which completely defeats the point of lockpicking. Seriously, why even have lockpicking if I can get caught stealing items within the container?

I was going to give the full game a chance but those two retarded design choices really irritate me.

Everybody in the game is psychic. You get caught committing crimes even if there are no witnesses to it. Also, it has chance-to-loot which completely defeats the point of lockpicking. Seriously, why even have lockpicking if I can get caught stealing items within the container?

Well, it is designed by the guy that did Oblivion.

Skirn

I was going to give the full game a chance but those two retarded design choices really irritate me.

Strange, that didn't happen to me when I looted a chest or two inside the monastery. Both chests had that red hand icon and there was one guy walking about in a nearby hallway.

I wonder if getting caught stealing is chance-based... that'd suck.

Klyka

Banned
I have never once been caught stealing and I stole from every single chest in the entire first village and the Fae village.

Oh.

But I really hate the map as of now. It's cool and awesome, until you start finding areas and it just starts to look garrish.

Also, they really could have masked it better that the current areas are just drag-and-drop for the MMO.

Aaron

Oh.

But I really hate the map as of now. It's cool and awesome, until you start finding areas and it just starts to look garrish.

Also, they really could have masked it better that the current areas are just drag-and-drop for the MMO.
This game was well into production before it had any connection with 38 Studios or their MMO. It was started under THQ, who dropped both the game and the developer.

Surprisingly mixed reaction to the demo. I personally thought it was pretty good, and my only complaints are fairly minor. The inventory UI could definitely use some tweaking because having to press 8 buttons to change my equipped weapon or whatever is just bad design. And the invisible walls are a bit too prominent. It really breaks the illusion of being able to free roam the world.

Now I just have to decide if the TF2 hats, Steamworks features and the lack of anything to do with Origin are worth paying the significant premium.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I don't get the UI and Map complaints. I really like how functional they are compared to Skyrim, stuff is clearly marked and labeled, the art on the overworld map is nice and clearly shows you each area, having a minimap on screen is a huge help. Looking through items is hassle-free and they make seeing what armor and weapons are upgrades really easy and detailed.

I also like how they let K+M players use numbers as keys for spells, too bad the camera is a HUGE pain to use with the mouse, so I just switched to controller. They should have checked out how Warhammer 40K did 3rd person mouse control. Melee in that game felt really nice even with the mouse.

Top Bottom