• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur demo impressions thread [Up On 360/Origin/Steam/U.S. PSN]

Either a glitch or your controller. Didn't happen to me.

Can't be my controller because I'm not sprinting everywhere (which is on A), and it doesn't happen until I hit a dialogue box. Just my luck.

I like it aside from that.

EDIT: The audio seems to be messed up, period. The music plays for like 5 seconds and just stops, and enemy/attack sounds are buggy as well. Hopefully restarting the demo eliminates these random issues and this isn't a sign of things to come.

J

The world looks great. I love it. Super colourful, lots of nice ambient sounds, animals running around, etc. It's actually a lot more open than I thought it would be so that's nice. I was expecting it to be as "open" as Fable, but areas seem way, way bigger than that. Definitely some exploration to be had. Though when I first stepped outside I did run into a few small barriers that were kind of jarring. After playing so much Skyrim, it was weird to not be able to bypass a knee-high fence, or hop down into a river, but you sorta stop running into that once you get a feel for how they've laid out the world.

Not open world? Thats a shame.

Not open world? Thats a shame.

Why?

Open-world doesn't automatically translate to winning formula. A guided experience can be just as good. See 3D Zeldas or Fable series. Mountains are nice and all but if they serve no purpose, I don't care that I can run all the way up them.

Why?

Open-world doesn't automatically translate to winning formula. A guided experience can be just as good. See 3D Zeldas or Fable series. Mountains are nice and all but if they serve no purpose, I don't care that I can run all the way up them.

Considering Ken Rolstons involvment and what I had seen in preview movies I expected it to be open world. Not that every game I play has to be that way, but I always find attempts at making good open world to be more interesting then closed off ones. It really does quite a lot for the immersion for me.

Not a complete deal breaker, but a dissapointment.

Macstorm

It's open world, but in a very constructed way. Not Elder Scrolls style. There are clearly defined paths, and invisible walls to keep you from jumping off or over certain areas. Think Fable but on a bigger scale and without the jank.

Exactly, it has zones, but is still fully exploration at any time.

Nista

Exactly, it has zones, but is still fully exploration at any time.

I'd rather have zones with a high level of detail and reduced loading times, than a fully open world and all the LOD and streaming nightmares that involves on current consoles.

Maybe with the next gen boxes when they finally put in a decent amount of memory we can have both pretty vistas and freedom without compromise.

PSN and PC demos should be out later today.

Macstorm

I'd rather have zones with a high level of detail and reduced loading times, than a fully open world and all the LOD and streaming nightmares that involves on current consoles.

Maybe with the next gen boxes when they finally put in a decent amount of memory we can have both pretty vistas and freedom without compromise.

PSN and PC demos should be out later today.

The zones are seamless, it's just not open as in "you can jump up a mountain" open.

Oh snap, you can skip the entire Well of Souls part after quitting out and restarting the demo. And it auto levels you and gives you all the armor you would've found in there.

Bravo, game. Bra-vo.

Ricker

Demo is awesome,game will be awesome,I'm at the part where you have 45 minutes to do what you please...magic combat is great,dagger stealth kills are good,quick,roll,block attack gameplay,I love the art style,beautiful colors and wide open area's so far...I unlocked all the stuff that will be available from a chest once the regular game hits in February,can't wait...off to my 45 minutes of extra play.

Khezu

I wonder how old this build is if such an obvious sound bug is in.

Also forgot how completely lame MS was with holding back demos for silver members, want to try it so bad.

Fjordson

I wonder how old this build is if such an obvious sound bug is in.
Oh there is a bug? Thought it might be my aging headphones. Whenever a would be loud sound came in the audio crackles pretty badly. Never heard the problem before playing the demo so I guess that makes sense. Had the audio cutout a few times as well for a second or two.

BrettWeir

From their Facebook page:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Just a quick heads-up that our sites our temporarily down due to high traffic. We are working on a fix! Thank you for your patience.

Vargavinter

I just played it for a bit and i liked it a lot, It's a must buy for me. I even decided to not play the demo trough since I want to experience all first when I actually got the game in hand. I hope there will be some kind of collectors edition for us in the EU, anyone got any info on that?

AEREC

Only played about 10 minutes of it and skippe all the cutscenes....I got a feeling this is gonna be a good game.

If it's available on Steam, Ill get the PC version...otherwise Im getting the 360 version.

Klyka

Banned
It's got nothing to do with EA.
The Amalur devs managed to broker their own deal regarding Steam.
The game doesn't require Origin unless you actually buy it on the Origin store (which makes sense, huh?).

KKRT00

If it's available on Steam, Ill get the PC version...otherwise Im getting the 360 version.
Wont be on Steam at launch from what i heard.

Second part of sentence wont understand, how can anyone would want to take worst and probably more expensive version just because its not on their favorite shop?. Cant You just buy it at retail on PC?

It's got nothing to do with EA.
The Amalur devs managed to broker their own deal regarding Steam.
The game doesn't require Origin unless you actually buy it on the Origin store (which makes sense, huh?).
Like every other EA game except for BF 3.

V_Arnold

I liked what I have seen.
I have been waiting for a game that can deliver a "casual", "enjoyable" and quality fantasy+rpg setting to the HUGE crowd without bringing with it a lot of frustration - and after believeing that Dragon Age 2 was supposed to do the same, only it failed and it was a wrong project to mess with - this is it! This game will be able to entertain millions out there. Some of those will look for deeper/similar experiences, and that will help the genre to stay alive.

This is a good game.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Wow. Just finished a playthrough of the demo. It's not Elder Scrolls open, but it's pretty close to it.

But even a semi-open world RPG with fantastic combat (this is some God of War type combat in an RPG) and a beautiful art design (OMG COLORS!!!!) is better than a dozen Elder Scrolls clones.

The controls are pitch perfect, the loading is a non-factor and the classes actually play quite a bit differently so far. I'm loving the mage class.

Pretty stoked to be picking this up, now. The initial videos made it look like reheated junk but I'm a believer now.

Klyka

Banned
Wont be on Steam at launch from what i heard.

Second part of sentence wont understand, how can anyone would want to take worst and probably more expensive version just because its not on their favorite shop?. Cant You just buy it at retail on PC?

Like every other EA game except for BF 3.

Mass Effect 3 is Origin only.

to buy or not to buy!

Buy is the only choice, sir.

The only issue I have is it comes out the same day as the new Van Halen album. Do I dare wait an hour to play Reckoning, or do I shelve the album I've waited 28 years for, or do I listen to the album while playing Reckoning?

Top Bottom