• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur demo impressions thread [Up On 360/Origin/Steam/U.S. PSN]

codhand

Graphics are nice and colorful, but seems kinda budget in the presentation department; dialog wheels, menus, text, etc. The player definitely controls a little unwieldy. It seems the demo might have been better served by dropping you somewhere in the story with a higher level character, especially given the talk about the games combat mechanics. I would have liked to see some "cooler shit" with regards to what my character can do with a sword. I still think that this type of colorful, stylized, RPG is more appealing for me than Skyrim, but then I'm someone who likes the Fable games.

Nope.

It was bound to be a success from the get go!
I didn't mean it like that! What I'm saying is this game hasn't gotten a lot of attention but I could see it exploding in popularity and ending up being quite successful. That would be pretty impressive for a western RPG that's part of a new IP in a post-Skyrim world.

masterkajo

Never heard of the game before the ME3 crosspromotion and started to read up on it the last days. Looks awesome. Still waiting for the PC demo to come out and try it because my 360 is still at my brothers. I find it stupid though that according to the official FAQ I can't unlock the ME3 items when playing on PC (have to play on 360). Also I am confused about the bit that I have to play both demos to unlock an item (hope that is wrong because I don't plan on playing the ME3 demo in regards of spoilers).

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Well, I'm just basing it off from the fact that that's what everyone is comparing it to, and the trailer I saw of it a few months ago made it look exactly like that.

If we're talking art style, it's reminiscent. The combat is almost exactly like God of War though. Weapons determining attacks, charge attacks, air juggles, trigger controlled magic attacks. You roll to dodge attacks and so forth.

codhand

I find it stupid though that according to the official FAQ I can't unlock the ME3 items when playing on PC (have to play on 360). Also I am confused about the bit that I have to play both demos to unlock an item (hope that is wrong because I don't plan on playing the ME3 demo in regards of spoilers).

If it works like it did in this demo, you get the unlock for seeing the title screen basically.

ReaperXL7

If it works like it did in this demo, you get the unlock for seeing the title screen basically.

There are multiple item unlocks throughout the demo, some you only get for completing the demo, some you only get by obtaining multiple destines, etc.

Also you don't have to play the ME3 demo to unlock an item for both each demo has it's own items unlocks.

PSN needs to update now, but of course Sony will take it's sweet ass time on the one day I don't want them to.

I hope this is Crackdown all over again. Everyone buys/downloads the demo for the beta/goodies but it turns out to be a great game.

I dunno, I'd still call this open-world. These are seriously big zones.
Fjordson, i think you can have a game that takes place in a sewer system and it can be called "open world". The size of the areas has nothing to do if it falls in the classification.

For example Halo: CE is not an open world game.

ReaperXL7

So we'll get Kingdom of Amalur 2 with not a single thing changed except with a zombie horde mode. Good to know.

38 and Big Huge Games plans for the IP are pretty huge so I don't think you'll see that kind of issue from them.

Glad to see people are enjoying the demo, now hopefully the OT won't be ignored :p

spk

So they're going to leave everyone in the dark about the PC demo (when? where?) until the last minute?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Can't get over the horribly unprofessional UI look. Normally it's something I'd just grit my teeth and handle, but this is an RPG, and you'll spend a large amount of time with it. Not sure if I'll pick it up - mental sanity and all.

Raide

Not near my 360 but after seeing the footage, it kinda reminds me of Fable & Too Human. Sounds like an odd combo but there is something about the graphical style that reminds me of those two games.

I love loot games so, unless something horrific happens between now and release, I will be playing it. By horrific I mean Diablo 3 coming out. :D

Any thoughts on the camera options? Some of the footage made it look a little erratic and a bit annoying to target enemies.

Oh and KoA:R 2 needs co-op.

ReaperXL7

So they're going to leave everyone in the dark about the PC demo (when? where?) until the last minute?

Not entirely they said on their forums that it would be up around Midday, but she was not sure exactly what time. It will probably be up soon, keeping on eye on their forums and i'll let everyone know when the PC demo is up.

This game is fun to play. Went through the demo twice, once as a melee heavy longsword primary Conan-esque barbarian, then as a female rogue using the daggers, stealth attacks, bows, and magic. Would go back as a pure mage, but I doubt I'll even attempt that because the stealth and melee combat are too much fun. The lightning quick level 2 dagger charge up is so good for dealing with packs of enemies. Eff the range enemies though :p

Yeah, 90 minutes and I still want to keep going. I'm buying this. It's not going to be the be all end all super RPG, but there's no way I can't support an RPG that brings this type of combat to the table. Anyone who can't get into Bethesda games because of the weak combat should give this demo a spin.

chifanpoe

Saw this on their facebook account:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning ‎Craig Fox - Thanks for the feedback! We do want to stress that the demo is not the final game code, and there will be some issues in it that are not in the full version of Reckoning.

rockx4

Just played the demo and it's okay. Graphics are a bit underwhelming but the color is nice. Combat is pretty cool, but feels like a faster paced Fable (I've only played dagger\rogue). Not sure I like the autotarget and camera though, feels kind of erratic at times like Fable.

LiK

do you get the armor by just playing it or finishing it? I wanted to get into Reckoning blind on day one so I wanna know.

rockx4

do you get the armor by just playing it or finishing it? I wanted to get into Reckoning blind on day one so I wanna know.

When I started the demo I got a bunch of pop ups saying item obtained and such. I didn't see any other items unlocking as I played, so I think you unlock everything just by starting it... not completely sure though.

LiK

thanks guys. i'll complete the demo as a complete asshole character so it doesnt't ruin my real playthrough as a goodie good person in main game.

Effect

Just played the demo and it's okay. Graphics are a bit underwhelming but the color is nice. Combat is pretty cool, but feels like a faster paced Fable (I've only played dagger\rogue). Not sure I like the autotarget and camera though, feels kind of erratic at times like Fable.

As someone that has enjoyed all the Fable games this sounds promising. I did get that vibe from the footage I have seen and was wondering if combat would be as easy or at least similar.

ReaperXL7

ugh...why does everything have to go the way of an MMO?

To be fair there are two Studios there is 38 which is the studio that Curt Shilling Founded. They were working on the MMO before Reckoning exsisted. Curt bought Big Huge games from THQ and they remade the game they were making for THQ to fit into 38's MMO. It's all actually an interesting story.

They already confirmed that they have plenty of plans for more Single player RPGs after Reckoning though so no worries on that front.

Technically I think this was supposed to be an MMO that went the way of a single player game.
MMO is seperate. Big Huge Games makes the Single player RPG side, 38 is working on the MMO, but the MMO won't start being disussed until Reckoning has been out for abit.

chifanpoe

As someone that has enjoyed all the Fable games this sounds promising. I did get that vibe from the footage I have seen and was wondering if combat would be as easy or at least similar.

I would like to know this as well. From the dev videos and other peoples impressions so far it seams that combat has much more depth than Fables. It seems to be more closely related to God of War than say Bayonetta.

rockx4

To me it the combat feels a lot like fable (I played and enjoyed all 3... yes even the 3rd one :p lol). Ranged and spells seem to autotarget too. There are huge skill trees for each class though, so combat probably gets deeper as you level up.

Edit: I put points into dagger attacks, and there's charge for special attacks too like Fable.

I would like to know this as well. From the dev videos and other peoples impressions so far it seams that combat has much more depth than Fables. It seems to be more closely related to God of War than say Bayonetta.

It's a mix of Fable and God of War, but leans more on the God Of War side of the scale. I wouldn't compare it to Bayonetta as it's not nearly as fluid or cancel heavy enough to be in that class. The dodging, blocking, wind-up, and how you can get "locked" into animations are more reminiscent of God of War. There are even some button mash finishers. The auto-target magic, charge attacks, and ranged attacks are like Fable.

chifanpoe

It's a mix of Fable and God of War, but leans more on the God Of War side of the scale. I wouldn't compare it to Bayonetta as it's not nearly as fluid or cancel heavy enough to be in that class. The dodging, blocking, wind-up, and how you can get "locked" into animations arw more reminiscent of God of War. There are even some button mash finishers. The auto-target magic, charge attacks, and ranged attacks are like Fable.

Thanks for the insight. How was the leveling? Were you able to play around with it much, did it allow you to respec if you wanted?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Was never a big fan of Fable's combat or world, so this has me a little worried. But I'm currently downloading the demo to see if it's better.

Good thing this game is not Fable or anything like it.

The combat is more like a character action game, mixed with the world and questing structure of Elder Scrolls meets WoW.

This is certainly not meant to be a sleight against your taste in games, but you are probably the only human being on planet earth who likes all three Fable games (or, really, any of them, for that matter)

ugh...why does everything have to go the way of an MMO?

Go the way of the MMO? The MMO was first.

Any word on the PC demo?

ParityBit

This is posted on Amazon.

Do we get anything in the full game for playing the Reckoning demo?
There are three unlocks earned in Reckoning for playing the Reckoning demo:
1. A Twist of Fate Card is earned after you have installed the Reckoning demo and linked your Origin account
2. The Twinned Souls Chakram is earned after you have installed the Reckoning demo and linked your Origin account
3. The Infernal Helm is earned after completing the Reckoning Mode Tutorial

Will I earn items in the Mass Effect 3 full game for playing the Reckoning demo?
There are two unlocks earned in Mass Effect 3 for playing the Reckoning demo:
1. The Reckoner Knight Armor is earned after you have installed the Reckoning demo and linked your Origin account
2. The Chakram Launcher is earned after completing the full Reckoning demo and seeing the call to action video in its entirety

Will I get items in Reckoning if I play the Mass Effect 3 demo?
Yes, you earn the Omniblade Daggers after installing the Mass Effect 3 demo and be linked to your Origin account​

LiK

1. A Twist of Fate Card is earned after you have installed the Reckoning demo and linked your Origin account
2. The Twinned Souls Chakram is earned after you have installed the Reckoning demo and linked your Origin account

Will I earn items in the Mass Effect 3 full game for playing the Reckoning demo?
1. The Reckoner Knight Armor is earned after you have installed the Reckoning demo and linked your Origin account
2. The Chakram Launcher is earned after completing the full Reckoning demo and seeing the call to action video in its entirety

Yes, you earn the Omniblade Daggers after installing the Mass Effect 3 demo and be linked to your Origin account​
thanks. goddamn, I need to make an Origin account.

Effect

Curious as to how the PS3 demo holds up. On that front I've been wondering about something. Games that usually have PS3 demos, for multiplatform games, tend to turn out well in the end right?

JohngPR

Can't be my controller because I'm not sprinting everywhere (which is on A), and it doesn't happen until I hit a dialogue box. Just my luck.

I like it aside from that.

EDIT: The audio seems to be messed up, period. The music plays for like 5 seconds and just stops, and enemy/attack sounds are buggy as well. Hopefully restarting the demo eliminates these random issues and this isn't a sign of things to come.

I had the same issue with the sound, but it only happened with two minor NPC's so it wasn't a big deal.

As for my thoughts of the game, I really enjoyed the demo.

It feels like they took the good parts from World of Warcraft (character progression, loot rewards, balanced classes) mixed it with a fighting game combat system and added a decent story to it.

I'm not sure if I'm getting it at release since my plate is full as it is, but I definitely want to play it at some point.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment

This is such shit. The absolute rock bottom of the gaming industry.

chifanpoe

Curious as to how the PS3 demo holds up. On that front I've been wondering about something. Games that usually have PS3 demos, for multiplatform games, tend to turn out well in the end right?

Devs said all 3 builds of the game were optimized for each system strengths. I am curious how well each one turns out. I hope lens of truth or digital foundry do a 3 system comparison.

Last Dev chat I listened to one of them was getting the PS3 build and the other was getting the PC build to play with a 360 controller.

Nista

This is such shit. The absolute rock bottom of the gaming industry.

Seriously? Getting free extra content for downloading and playing a free demo is some sort of horrible industry practice? You don't need these items to complete the game.

I can name many things that are far more egregious publisher/marketing ploys.

Top Bottom