• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur demo impressions thread [Up On 360/Origin/Steam/U.S. PSN]

masterkajo

And !@#$%^&* fails again. I can't download the !@#$%^&* because of the German law.
I live in fucking Austria. Thanks for nothing !@#$%^&*, gotta use a proxy.

SAME HERE (2 posts above!!!)

quote again for new page and because of rage....

Origin WTF?

"Leider darf dieses Spiel aufgrund des Jugendschutzgesetzes in Deutschland nicht zwischen 6:00 Uhr und 23:00 Uhr heruntergeladen werden."

You are kidding !@#$%^&*, right? I don't even live in Germany...

Don't mind all the !@#$%^&*. It is just a profanity filter misused by !@#$%^&* to protect !@#$%^&* from !@#$%^&* !@#$%^&* spoilers :)

Just loaded up the PC demo on my new 7970 and... black screen :D

i can see the hud and hear everything but its all black. 60fps black though so that is good

edit to add context

i can see the HUD like bellow

and once i have looked at the menu and go back out the menu is still there.

Im pretty sure this is a 7970 driver issue though, oh the cost of bleeding edge.

Played a bit, just got out of the first dungeon. I skipped the cut scenes and dialog waiting for the full game.

This game is right up my alley. I'll definitely be picking it up. Some very minor quibbles:

1. Inventory is kinda clunky. To change your primary weapon you have to hit Start, Inventory, weapons, primary, then pick. If you want to compare, hit X but you have to hit B to back out of that, you can't scroll while comparing. Plus, other than the compare (with X) you can't tell if a new item is better.

2. Auto-aiming with the bow could be better. I'd like to be able to free-look (aim) while the bow is drawn.

3. I love the map, but scrolling/zooming is painful.

4. Camera is a little too close.

Again, minor issues but it won't stop me from picking it up.

Nabs

i can see the hud and hear everything but its all black. 60fps black though so that is good

Are you forcing any AA through your drivers? I always ask when people run into similar issues with ATI

Is it just me or is Amalur missing from Steam? Could swear it should be there too. :(

It's coming. Just no demo (for now?).

Atruvius

Was having a ton of fun. Going to have to pick this title up eventually. Everything felt fluid, and I loved the colorful graphics.

But then it froze on me. :(
It's an older build so it'll have some bugs. Glitchwise I expect this to be much better than Skyrim or Oblivion.

Wallach

edit to add context

Im pretty sure this is a 7970 driver issue though, oh the cost of bleeding edge.

Nah, same issue on 5850. Mouse works great though, derp.

RS4-

Nevermind, speeds went up to max after a few mins. Demo is now downed and installed, will post with impressions later

BrettWeir

edit to add context

I'm having the exact same issue.

i5 @ 4.0
8 Gig DDR3
Win7 64

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
hmmm steam should have a page for it up ill have to go look into it

The negotiations occurred very recently from what I know, so I think things are still in flux. Reckoning was actually on Steam a couple months ago, but was then removed. It'll be back soon I think.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it seems borked on Radeon cards.

If you turn off Post Processing the graphics work, but they don't seem to render at all with Post Processing on. I'm on a 5870.

I gotta get going, but my first impression of the game is pretty good. The game seems zoomed in a bit far, though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Turn OFF Post Processing if you're having graphics problems!

sleepykyo

Curious as to how the PS3 demo holds up. On that front I've been wondering about something. Games that usually have PS3 demos, for multiplatform games, tend to turn out well in the end right?

Lost Planet, Bayonetta, and Crysis 2 all had demos, so no.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Why the hell do I keep buying Radeons?

Yeah, it seems borked on Radeon cards.

If you turn off Post Processing the graphics work, but they don't seem to render at all with Post Processing on. I'm on a 5870.

I gotta get going, but my first impression of the game is pretty good. The game seems zoomed in a bit far, though.

Good find, works here to, thanks :)

dejan

Origin WTF?

"Leider darf dieses Spiel aufgrund des Jugendschutzgesetzes in Deutschland nicht zwischen 6:00 Uhr und 23:00 Uhr heruntergeladen werden."

You are kidding me, right? I don't even live in Germany...

I live in Germany and it pisses me off to no end. First the fucking Origin client update didn't work, because the Updater wasn't able to overwrite some fucking files and then this shit. This alone catapulted Amalur into "maybe someday for 5 bucks on Steam". Fuck you EA and fuck you BHG.

Sectus

... QTEs? Seriously? I quit the demo instantly once I realized I was doing a series of QTEs to finish off the boss. If there's one thing the RPG genre doesn't need (or well, anything really) it's QTEs.

Oh well, the game seems rather mediocre anyway. If I want an RPG with a good indepth combat system, I'll go play Vindictus. The combat system in this seems like an even more shallow version of God of War (which I wasn't a fan of to begin with).

abundant

... QTEs? Seriously? I quit the demo instantly once I realized I was doing a series of QTEs to finish off the boss. If there's one thing the RPG genre doesn't need (or well, anything really) it's QTEs.

Those QTE are just for gaining bonus XP.

Anyone know of a good origin mirror download? The main site won't work, and neither will the softonic download.

I uninstalled it cause it was not connecting :/

Just started up the PC version. Load screens are like 30-60 seconds for me...unless I alt-tab and alt-tab back in, then they're 5 seconds....:S

Oh well, the game seems rather mediocre anyway. If I want an RPG with a good indepth combat system, I'll go play Vindictus. The combat system in this seems like an even more shallow version of God of War (which I wasn't a fan of to begin with).

Right. No.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Demo experience:

On ORIGIN only = -1
Unskippable logos = -10
"Press any key" title screen = -100
Long loading time on SSD = -1000
Black screen with HUD only = -100000000000000000000000000000000000

Thanks EA.

Loxley

Loving the demo (360 version). The game is exactly what I wanted; art direction & soundtrack similar to Fable, loot whore mechanics like WoW, and combat very action focused. The character I went with was a Finesse/Magic combo. I really enjoyed slicing up targets with daggers than dodging away to finish them off with lightning. I'm making it a point this year to buy fewer games day one...but fuck me I can't pass on this.

The game isn't perfect by any stretch, the camera tends to be a little too close to the character when running around and the zoom functions on the map are painfully slow. But this is seriously scratching an itch for me.

Let the 2012 cavalcade of awesome games begin.

Arken2121

Ok, after about 10 minutes in, the combat system is unbelievable! Not only is it fluid with its execution, but the ability to avoid attacks with either the shield or dodge makes it a very skillful game. Also, the finishers are absolutely nerdgasm worthy. More to come.

Aeana

Started up the demo, but the mouse cursor disappeared. I could still see UI elements getting highlighted if I moved the mouse just so, but the cursor was invisible. After getting through a couple of dialogs, I noticed that it was in controller mode. Now I see that if I move the mouse, it goes into mouse mode but then very quickly goes back to controller mode, despite me not actually touching the controller. It seems that, at least in my case of using a PS3 controller with MotionInJoy emulating a 360 pad, the controller is constantly asserting itself and I can't switch to mouse mode without disconnecting it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So if I play the PC demo but get the game on 360, will I still get the game unlocks? Having issues with XBL myself lately.

Just wondering since it all seemingly links to EA account as having played regardless of platform.

Demo experience:

On ORIGIN only = -1
Unskippable logos = -10
"Press any key" title screen = -100
Long loading time on SSD = -1000
Black screen with HUD only = -100000000000000000000000000000000000

Thanks EA.

We get it, you hate EA and Origin. There are other threads to complain about that.

The having to alt tab to get past loading screens is kind of silly.

Also, does anyone know a way too pan the camera back a bit? It's too close to your character for my tastes.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

edit to add context

On a 5870 and I get this too.

Edit: Okay, works without post processing. Also, THAT MUSIC. Also incredibly pleased by the fact that vsync has no mouse lag attached. :D

Top Bottom