• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur demo impressions thread [Up On 360/Origin/Steam/U.S. PSN]

Woorloog

Banned
So, i get the ME3 bonus items merely by starting the demo and letting the game to sign in my EA account? Great.

As for the game itself... feels Fableish. With a bit of Morrowind/Oblivion and World of Warcraft (the visuals mostly). Not bad... feels a tad generic but not bad. Good probably, might be even great. I really need to know how long the game is and does it have bad bugs etc and i'd like to see some reviews before i consider getting this though.

How are the loading times on consoles?

360: Not too bad.

Arken2121

This game is going to be amazing in February. It's like some of you said in the GW2 thread, this will hold you over for a while for that game. =)

masterkajo

So if I play the PC demo but get the !@#$%^&* on 360, will I still get the !@#$%^&* unlocks? Having issues with XBL myself lately.

Just wondering since it all seemingly links to !@#$%^&* account as having played regardless of platform.

Apparently not if you belive their official FAQ. (Which is down last time I check due to maintenance... or better high traffic).

AFAIK, stated in their FAQ (last check yesterday).
If you play the demo on PC you only unlock items for the PC version of ME3 and Reckoning. If you want the items for the Xbox or PS3 version you have to play that demo.

Which is stupid. I don't have access to my xbox (where I will be playing ME3) right now and when playing the PC demo of Reckoning I only get the ME3 items for the PC version of ME3 (which I won't play because all my saves are on the xbox). So I have to play the Reckoning demo again on xbox in March just to get the ME3 items on xbox. *Thumbs down*

Aeana

Is it just me, or does the game not take up the full screen in 1080p on PC? I've got black bars on the left and the right.

Wallach

So after turning post-processing off (not a good look on that one 38), the game works.

Aside from that problem, I have to say I had a fucking great time with what I've seen of the demo. There's definitely some iffy stuff with the camera; it's a little wonky and I definitely wish I could get it the heck away from my character sometimes. Also, I expected the controller to work better, but it definitely was much better on the KB/M (again, thank you for not fucking up the mouse).

Those nitpicks aside, there's a heck of a lot to like. The combat system is actually pretty nice; it was very responsive and even the most basic start where you only have a couple attacks with each weapon feels nice. You can time blocks so that you get a "critical block", doing slight damage and giving you a brief time dilation (to recognize that it was successful) as well as causing every target that was near the blocked attack to get staggered. The blocking system seems to be a staple of all the character archetypes, too, and the enemies are clearly designed with the expectation that you're going to learn how to do both block and dodge.

I pretty much always gravitate towards mages, and while I still haven't gotten beyond level 2 (so I can't get any new spells), I did unlock a new staff attack. Even the mages are expected to get in on the combo style action; staves work kind of like a short-range whip, where your range is extended by the magic of the staff (for example the first staff shoots short range bursts of fire during combos). The first attack I unlocked was a charge-up that you can combo into after the first staff swing that hit everything in AoE, and the second rank of it now causes it to leave a fire damage-over-time on anything it strikes. I can't seem to actually combo into the first ranged spell (a standard lightning ball ranged bolt), but it does quite a lot of damage and targeting (with the mouse anyway) is quite easy.

The demo just leaves me wanting the full game, because there is a ton of stuff I can see in the skill trees that I want to try out, much less all the loot urges it looks like it will satisfy.

Is it just me, or does the game not take up the full screen in 1080p on PC? I've got black bars on the left and the right.

Did you check the resolution? It did not auto-detect my monitor's resolution properly and I was on 1680x1050 at first or something.

AwRy108

Curious as to how the PS3 demo holds up. On that front I've been wondering about something. Games that usually have PS3 demos, for multiplatform games, tend to turn out well in the end right?

I'm thinking that the PS3 version will have a mandatory install, which should help to alleviate its troublesome RAM configuration. I'm sure the game will run at a lesser resolution than its 360 counterpart, but as long as it's not drastically less AND the framerate is rock-solid with no screen tearing, I'll be happy.

Aeana

Did you check the resolution? It did not auto-detect my monitor's resolution properly and I was on 1680x1050 at first or something.
You're right, I'm dumb. I just assumed it would auto-detect like most games do these days. My bad.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Just finished playing this, I didn't even hit the 45 minute limit because I felt like it wasn't nearly enough to get an idea of the scope of the game. I quit once I hit level 3 and realized how deep the character customization actually is.

I enjoyed what I played quite a bit though, besides the sound glitching out for pretty much the whole playthrough and a few nasty graphical artifacts that kept popping up. With Max Payne delayed I'll most likely be picking this up next month.

Although I wish there way a light/heavy attack option just to add a bit more depth and variety to the combo system, the combat is a lot of fun once you get the hang of it.

Aeana

I feel like the keyboard/mouse controls aren't so hot. For combat and stuff, they're fine, but for navigating the menus, I'm not really sold. The game does at least play really well with a controller, so I'll probably just go with that. The only problem is that the text is a little small (for my blind eyes) to read comfortably from my couch. Ah well, I'll work it out.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Tried the demo on the xbox and "tried" is the rigth word because it doesn't want me to play. After crashing 3 times on me before getting to gnome camp I fight a troll and kill him with the hit A thing and some how fall through the world. No saving is shit I'm sick of playing the same fucking room over and over.

Anyone else having so much trouble?

If I unlock the ME3 stuff in the demo with for example my brothers gamertag, will I be able to access the content with my own gamertag when playing on the same console?

Jinaar

lol I'm semi retarded but who cares. Uninstalling Origin and the EA demo now and installing the demo from STEAM instead. Thankfully, speeds are excellent on STEAM.

Isomac

Tried the demo on the xbox and "tried" is the rigth word because it doesn't want me to play. After crashing 3 times on me before getting to gnome camp I fight a troll and kill him with the hit A thing and some how fall through the world. No saving is shit I'm sick of playing the same fucking room over and over.

Anyone else having so much trouble?

You got to play it. My PC just crashes every time I try to launch the game and I need to restart. I don't think I bother to DL it again on 360, if you are having lots of problems there too.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Major oversight from the developer, they don't allow you to rebind the movement keys! Stuck with WASD. What a fail

JohngPR

Just loaded up the PC demo on my new 7970 and... black screen :D

i can see the hud and hear everything but its all black. 60fps black though so that is good

edit to add context

i can see the HUD like bellow

and once i have looked at the menu and go back out the menu is still there.

Im pretty sure this is a 7970 driver issue though, oh the cost of bleeding edge.

Same issue here too...

HD 5770 here.

Didn't read ahead...I'll try the Post Processing thing.

I'll have to play it via Origin to get the bonus ME3 stuff right?

This is what I am wondering as well, although I doubt it. We may just need an Origin account. In the case, it may work like any other EA promotional item. Like the Dragon Age: Legends DLC.

Enjoying it, but:

- have to alt tab to get through loading screens
- can't pan the camera back, it's way too close for my tatses
- when I do the teleport attack with daggers, every time it hits, my game freezes for 1 sec and sometimes white flashes appear.

Played the demo on PC and really liked it. Sold me on the game.

Quick question regarding the Steam version. You can still log into your EA account and get the unlockable stuff, right? I got the demo first on Origin because it was out sooner, but if I buy the game it'll be on Steam.

Also, if you buy the game retail, can it be registered on Steam? may be a bit early to ask

edit:

minor problems. as someone mentioned above, there is that slight hitch with the dagger power attack. The camera is too close normally (in combat it pulls back). Those are things that could be fixed, I think.

Design wise, I wish I could hold more than two weapons. That would probably change later in the game when I'll be more of a magic thief.

edit 2: PC controls (kb/m) worked great imo. Inventory isn't ideal but being able to right click and easily compare or add to junk is certainly nice coming off of skyrim.

Nabs

Played the demo on PC and really liked it. Sold me on the game.

Quick question regarding the Steam version. You can still log into your EA account and get the unlockable stuff, right? I got the demo first on Origin because it was out sooner, but if I buy the game it'll be on Steam.

Also, if you buy the game retail, can it be registered on Steam? may be a bit early to ask

I'm going to guess it's only Steamworks if you buy it on Steam (LA Noire, Batman AC)

Wallach

Loving how much neat hidden stuff there is even right in the first area. Like right when you get out into the open, there's a bunch of hidden stuff in the water. Also, you can still sprint in the water, which is pretty much the best thing.

chifanpoe

Steam it is then...unless the PC demo is horribly optimized.

The demo is not the final build, about 2-3 months old. Runs well on the PC so far(i played on a 6 core AMD at 4Ghz and 6870's). Have not tried the 360 as i don't have a gold account. (will try next week) Will test on PS3 when it hopefully hits later today.

Top Bottom