• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Male falsetto (Jason Derulo sucks a bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blakep267

The Weeknd? Amazing
MJ? Amazing
Frank Ocean? Amazing
Usher? Beautiful
Justin Timberlake? Amazing impressionist

Jason Derulo? Unbearable

Who told him to sing his songs in such high notes? He sounds like a dude who stepped on a fish in the tide pool and screamed without realizing you were right there hearing it. A mess. And he sings his name at the beginning of each song like we don't know that screech enough.

Help me erase memories of his falsetto. Here is Swalla, his latest mistake, posted for posterity.
I guess you haven't heard Chris brown try to sing Fine China live

Oh fuck! You know who's REALLY bad?

Passion Pit. Especially in Manners. Dude's straining to hit dumb octaves the whole time and it doesn't add anything
Yeah Passion pit live is horrible. It's almost false advertising coming from listening to their album

Overall, dude is just bad, not just at falsetto BUT I gotta hand it to him or his team.

He SCREAMED late 00's one hit wonder but somehow managed to keep it going for nearly a decade now.

mhayes86

King of Falsetto?

20140630-kingdiamond-624x420-1404137520.jpg

YES. I love me some King Diamond.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Bow down to the king, Phillip Effin' Bailey:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qz_b1di3i8

For crappy falsetto (aka "falshitto"), don't forget Adam Levine. Nasal falsetto is an unpleasant sound. It's gotta be clear to sound good.

My man.

Also Maxwell guys, come on. Dude obliterates pretty much everyone in this thread.

Never heard the dude in the OP, but peeped that video and damn that is bad lol.

Also don't forget Smokey and D'angelo!

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
His Tracks of My Tears and Mad World performances are sublime.

An underrated vocalist, overshadowed by his bad taste in everything but vocals.

As sublime as they are, his full voice is even better. His own music is great. His part-time fronting queen is other-worldly and a perfect match for his skills. Too bad they just don't make commercially viable music like that anymore (that and he wants to make pop music for which vocals are mostly irrelevant).

As sublime as they are, his full voice is even better. His own music is great. His part-time fronting queen is other-worldly and a perfect match for his skills. Too bad they just don't make commercially viable music like that anymore (that and he wants to make pop music for which vocals are mostly irrelevant).
He would be a legend by now if he'd gone the Broadway route for which his voice is even more well-suited than glam rock.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
He would be a legend by now if he'd gone the Broadway route for which his voice is even more well-suited than glam rock.

Perhaps. But there is always time for that later. Pop stardom for males basically comes down to getting your audience to either want to be your best friend or want to sleep with you. He really doesn't check either box in terms of mass appeal (mid-30s, gay, sometimes flamboyantly so, and his inhuman voice actually probably works against him as well) so his overwhelming vocal talent won't really get appreciated in that genre.

Looking forward to his next album though and pumped about going to a Queen concert this summer.

edit: lol listened to that Anyone Listening link again after posting this and it is simply insane. and he has only gotten significantly better since then

Perhaps. But there is always time for that later. Pop stardom for males basically comes down to getting your audience to either want to be your best friend or want to sleep with you. He really doesn't check either box in terms of mass appeal (mid-30s, gay, sometimes flamboyantly so, and his inhuman voice actually probably works against him as well) so his overwhelming vocal talent won't really get appreciated in that genre.

Looking forward to his next album though and pumped about going to a Queen concert this summer.
His brief foray into R&B was sort of a wasted opportunity. That's the one mainstream genre where explosive vocal flourishes are sort of a common vernacular.

Those horrid lyrics though

Good posts in here. Can't believe it took so long for the Gibbs to be posted.

My current, modern king of falsetto is Gallant. He has better control over it than a vast number of make vocalists that attempt it.

Robin Thicke
Maxwell
Francisco Yates
Daley
MNEK
Kevin Parker (argumentative)
Miguel
Gallant
Mayer Hawthorne (argumentative)
Sam Sparro
Adam Lambert
Jamie Woon
John Legend
Allen Stone
Daniel Merriweather (argumentative)

and that's what I got so far. Will post more that come to mind

Erv

The Weeknd? Amazing
MJ? Amazing
Frank Ocean? Amazing
Usher? Beautiful
Justin Timberlake? Amazing impressionist

Jason Derulo? Unbearable

Who told him to sing his songs in such high notes? He sounds like a dude who stepped on a fish in the tide pool and screamed without realizing you were right there hearing it. A mess. And he sings his name at the beginning of each song like we don't know that screech enough.

Help me erase memories of his falsetto. Here is Swalla, his latest mistake, posted for posterity.
What do you mean impressionist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom