• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

RedEther

Cancelled my order on amazon and decided to go digital

Next time I preorder a game for the switch I'll do it months in advance.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Can anyone walk me through this process? Do you just create a Amazon.jp account, put in a fake address and then pay with your regular card and billing address?
Couple people in this thread saying they made new Amazon.co.jp accounts tied to a real address in Japan and then used their cards.

plank

How wireless multiplayer? I'm curious as I'm thinking of buying two switches for me and my niece and nephew.

Alex

I might have been wooed to digital for the load speed but not with internal storage as limited as it is.

As it is with sd cards not offering any benefits, I'd rather just get it a day late, save 20% and have the ability to sell it in the future, like I sold mk8 Wii u for 35 bucks to prepare for this.

Some day, I'll go digital on consoles, someday. As a PC fan I'm fond of digital releases but I need the benefit to align with my laze

I might have been wooed to digital for the load speed but not with internal storage as limited as it is.

As it is with sd cards not offering any benefits, I'd rather just get it a day late, save 20% and have the ability to sell it in the future, like I sold mk8 Wii u for 35 bucks to prepare for this.

I'm with you, but my gf really wanted to play it asap before she has to go back to work and tomorrow and Sunday are the last two days of freedom she has, so eh.

It's not a huge download size and the perfect kind of game to always have on the system, so I'm letting it slide.

neurophd

I too am struggling with digital purchase. Load times and convenience are tempting. But BB GC discount and gift cards pulling me towards physical. Plus I have not put any time into the series so not sure what the long term appeal will be for me. I really enjoy racing games. Advice?

Yeah, this sounds like a dumb decision by Nintendo. They should really patch it so it's normal controls by default, but upon first playing the game there's a prompt asking if you want to enable Smart Steering and explaining what that is.

Wait, what? I must have totally missed this somehow.

Alex

I'm with you, but my gf really wanted to play it asap before she has to go back to work and tomorrow and Sunday are the last two days of freedom she has, so eh.

It's not a huge download size and the perfect kind of game to always have on the system, so I'm letting it slide.

I'm secretly saving my internal storage for animal crossing

gagecube

Banned
I'm reading in this thread that this game will be up at what, 11cst? I had a few friends say it wouldnt be up on the estore until tomorrow afternoon. I'm probably just going to belive NeoGaf

I got a little over an hour left to decide if I want to cancel my physical and go digital. $22 difference is pretty big right now :(

But this is the one game I know I'll play the entire generation. Goddamn it :(

VanWinkle

My Amazon order has just changed from "Preparing for Shipment" to "Shipping today." It still says arriving tomorrow, but I highly doubt it.

I'm reading in this thread that this game will be up at what, 11cst? I had a few friends say it wouldnt be up on the estore until tomorrow afternoon. I'm probably just going to belive NeoGaf

Nintendo releases their games at 12 EST.

ALWAYS.

Been like this for 3DS and Wii U and now Switch.

I got a little over an hour left to decide if I want to cancel my physical and go digital. $22 difference is pretty big right now :(

You can always buy physical now and save the money.

If and when it goes on sale in the ESHOP you can go digital.

The physical copy will always hold value.

AEREC

$22 seems like nothing for the convenience of never having to mess with the cartridge if you're gonna be playing it for years.

F34R

I too am struggling with digital purchase. Load times and convenience are tempting. But BB GC discount and gift cards pulling me towards physical. Plus I have not put any time into the series so not sure what the long term appeal will be for me. I really enjoy racing games. Advice?
I'd say go with physical. Price difference and lack of previous enthusiasm would put me over the fence.

My Amazon order has just changed from "Preparing for Shipment" to "Shipping today." It still says arriving tomorrow, but I highly doubt it.

Mine still says "shipping soon", but also says arriving on the 28th lol.

Xdrive05

So what are the chances of getting a physical copy from a Walmart at midnight tonight? Will Walmart actually go back and get you one then?

So what are the chances of getting a physical copy from a Walmart at midnight tonight? Will Walmart actually go back and get you one then?

I'd say there's a good shot. They're probably behind the register anyway. I am not sure when Walmart stocks when it's a 24 hour store but I'm sure an employee would fetch it for you if you explain to them that the game technically comes out at midnight.

I'll probably download the game tomorrow. I made a mistake with going physical with Zelda. It's literally never been out of my Switch. I have an exam coming up so I won't play much but it's nice to have it waiting for me (Zelda, as well).

KingBroly

Banned
I'd say go with physical. Price difference and lack of previous enthusiasm would put me over the fence.

I'm thinking about cancelling my Amazon order so I can buy it digitally, tbh.

It was supposed to be shipped yesterday, and it's almost midnight with no movement. Very frustrating.

Xdrive05

Okay, thanks. Last question, I promise! If I buy digital, is the game tied to my Nintendo account such that if my Switch stopped working some day and I had to buy another one, would I be able to play Mario Kart on the 2nd Switch without repurchasing?

F34R

I'm thinking about cancelling my Amazon order so I can buy it digitally, tbh.

It was supposed to be shipped yesterday, and it's almost midnight with no movement. Very frustrating.

With the price difference, I'm simply going to go grab it in the morning from Wal Mart. When my Amazon order gets here, I'll take the unopened copy to Wal Mart and get a refund. :)

Okay, thanks. Last question, I promise! If I buy digital, is the game tied to my Nintendo account such that if my Switch stopped working some day and I had to buy another one, would I be able to play Mario Kart on the 2nd Switch without repurchasing?

Yes tied to your account and you can download again.

hongcha

I usually don't buy games digitally, but there are some exceptions where I PREFER digital: racing games, fighting games, and puzzle games. These are great games to always have on the console, ready to go at a moment's notice for a quick round or race. I don't like swapping carts in and out for these.

For example. I'll have a game like BOTW in my cart slot, and play some rounds of MK8D when I need a break from it. Once you get used to this, it's hard to go back to carts for everything.

I still buy RPGs and adventure games almost exclusively on carts, as I rarely replay those and I like the option of being able to resell them.

I usually don't buy games digitally, but there are some exceptions where I PREFER digital: racing games, fighting games, and puzzle games. These are great games to always have on the console, reading to go at a moment's notice for a quick round or race. I don't like swapping carts in and out for these.

For example. I'll have a game like BOTW in my cart slot, and play some rounds of MK8D when I need a break from it. Once you get used to this, it's hard to go back to carts for everything.

I still buy RPGs and adventure games almost exclusively on carts, as I rarely replay those and I like the option of being able to resell them.

Wow, great point. Having Zelda always in my Switch and MK8D for small breaks is a great idea. Awesome.

I usually don't buy games digitally, but there are some exceptions where I PREFER digital: racing games, fighting games, and puzzle games. These are great games to always have on the console, ready to go at a moment's notice for a quick round or race. I don't like swapping carts in and out for these.

This is what happned to me on 3DS. I bought the XL with mario kart 7 preinstalled and it changed my perspective on digital

VanWinkle

Is that on your mobile app or on the desktop website? Because my app still says "shipping soon," but you can see here where it switched recently to "shipping today."

70Q8bqs.png

Top Bottom