• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

VanWinkle

This is my first time using headphones on the Switch, and the volume seems oddly...low. Like, at the highest volume, it's for me the minimum acceptable volume. And I'm in a really quiet room right now. I thought maybe it was my headphones, but I just plugged them into my new Galaxy S8 and MAN these things can get loud. So I don't know if it's the Switch or the game.

Pause and L

Thanks!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
First off, the game is so gorgeous. How am I playing this on a handheld?! Best looking handheld gave ever, bar none.
This game shows this system is the Scorpio equivalent to handhelds. And I believe it can be topped as they reused assets. A brand new game polished Nintendo game could probably look even better.

charpunk

So my amazon order shipped from a Texas distribution center to an amazon distribution center in Ohio.

I'm in Florida.

At least Best Buy still has copies so I can still meet up with some friends tonight.

vgamer1

This is my first time using headphones on the Switch, and the volume seems oddly...low. Like, at the highest volume, it's for me the minimum acceptable volume. And I'm in a really quiet room right now.

Thanks!

Just tested mine and at max volume I can hear it just fine, also in a quiet room.

VanWinkle

Just tested mine and at max volume I can hear it just fine, also in a quiet room.

I can hear it fine, too. Like I said, I would consider the minimum ACCEPTABLE volume for me. But it's weird, man. My phone with these headphones literally sound like 3x or more louder. Like, I couldn't even turn it up all the way it was so loud.

Is there any graphical upgrade to this when comparing to the wii u version? Just wondering.

Just resolution. But it does make for a pretty big difference.

On the handheld compared to the Gamepad, you can see both the higher resolution and also way better colors and contrast from having a better screen.

MouldyK

Is there any downside to using auto-accelerate? I've really enjoying it, but I'm not a top tier online player so I'm not sure if there's a disadvantage. I don't want to get used to it and then have to go back for some reason.

I don't know how I feel if Auto Accelerate has no downside lol.

This is the best looking game I've ever seen running in my hands. I mean, it's not surprising, but still. Shit looks good.

Never even thought about this.

20 years of playing Mario kart and I don't know if I could get used to not holding acceleration, if only for the subconscious feeling of pressing it to move.

I still end up holding A/Y for the entirety of the first lap most races

until I notice my thumb is starting to feel uncomfortable and I realize I don't need to hold A/Y at all

I don't know how I feel if Auto Accelerate has no downside lol.

I'm pretty sure Auto Accelerate has no downsides.

Which is fine. AA is not an advantage. It's just an infinitely more comfortable way to play the game haha

Afterlife

I can hear it fine, too. Like I said, I would consider the minimum ACCEPTABLE volume for me. But it's weird, man. My phone with these headphones literally sound like 3x or more louder. Like, I couldn't even turn it up all the way it was so loud.
Yeah I get what you mean. It might be something with the switchs settings but yeah it seems kinda low compared to other things.

Ninja Dom

Yo what...I was in 4th and a blue shell dropped and hit me.

Blue Shell locks onto whoever is in 1st place at the time the player sends it. If whoever was in 1st place drops down positions before the Blue She'll gets to them then they still get targeted. You were probably hit from the splash damage as whoever was near you was targeted.

Blue Shell locks onto whoever is in 1st place at the time the player sends it. If whoever was in 1st place drops down positions before the Blue She'll gets to them then they still get targeted. You were probably hit from the splash damage as whoever was near you was targeted.

I don't think that's actually the case anymore. I successfully sandbagged a Blue Shell last night. I was in first, heard the Blue Shell come out, slowed to second, and watched it hit the new first place player in my stead.

ngower

Ah, makes sense. Was annoying as shit because it was right before the finish and I got like 9th.

Dominator

This is pure fun. I had 8 on Wii U but never played it after a few weeks. Got sidetracked by other things. Having this on the go and I can play a couple races in bed before I go to sleep will keep me in it for awhile. Fantastic game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I've only played 1P so far and had to turn off steering assist. When playing local multi, do I have to manually turn off everyone's assists too? I didn't see a generic settings.

I haven't tried Auto Accelerate yet but I think a downside is that you can't get Boost starts.

You can get boost starts. You just hold A/Y at the beginning of the race, like you would without AA. And then let go of A/Y when your boost start is over.

There is literally no downside to auto-accellerate and everyone should be using it

overnight it went from a sensible accessibility feature to something that I'm never not going to use

Mandelbo

Do coins collected during Coin Runners count towards your overall coin total? Could be a good way to grind kart parts if so.

Edit: can confirm they do

Owensboro

Holy hell, I just played a full game of Mario Kart at my desk during my lunch break. This is downright magical.

I'm pretty sure Auto Accelerate has no downsides.

Which is fine. AA is not an advantage. It's just an infinitely more comfortable way to play the game haha

If the in-game manual is right, you can't get the new tier of boost (Purple?) with AA on. Or maybe that's just Auto-drive?
Edit: Corrected by Huge Succeeded below. I'm thinking of Auto-drive. That's absolutely the BEST NEWS EVER. It's going to be awesome not having to hold down a button the entire time to play.

Can't do online with my Brazilian account...had to make an American account for it, online just says it's not available in my country

Funny that WiiU was possible and it didn't had a brazilian store also.

Just played on a TV for the first time...

OH MY GOD THEY'VE RE-DONE THE SOUND MIXING!

Literally my biggest complaint, megaton, now MK8 is nothing but greatness. There are many small, subtle fixes throughout. Love it. 10/10.

Argh ya'll have me so pumped... just a couple more hours at work and hopefully MK8D'll be waiting for me at home!! Auto-accelerate sound amazing I can't wait to try it

OmahaG8

This is my first time using headphones on the Switch, and the volume seems oddly...low. Like, at the highest volume, it's for me the minimum acceptable volume. And I'm in a really quiet room right now. I thought maybe it was my headphones, but I just plugged them into my new Galaxy S8 and MAN these things can get loud. So I don't know if it's the Switch or the game.

Thanks!

It's the Switch. It's almost laughable. I've tried a variety of headphones/buds and what is loud/medium on anything else is laughable on the Switch. I had to buy a little headphone amplifier. But then that introduces static noise. I just gave up and use the speakers. They're louder than any earbuds I've tried.

ngower

Hit 1st place with a red shell, was about to hit mushroom to boost up and catch him before the finish line but someone stole the mushroom with Boo.

I picked up this game after a crummy series of days to relax. Relax, I said.

Shikoba

Dang. I've been playing a lot of Gameboy Advance lately. Going from that to playing this on Switch is just like...
tumblr_inline_nee7jmrvMQ1smvmc6.gif

Such a gorgeous game!

Top Bottom