• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

hatchx

Banned
When the items are spinning, am I crazy or in past Mario karts did tapping the weapon button kind of 'stop' the roulette spin?

It's been such a force of habit, but did it ever work? MK8DX is first time I'm really aware of that not working at all, as pressing the weapon button before the item lands honks the horn.

Am I crazy?

arimanius

If you go physical, you get that sweet, sweet boxart!

I was in the same boat, but I chose physical. I'll get the game cheaper, with a great boxart, and I managed to get a free DK mug with it. If I bother too much about card swapping, I'll just resell it and grab the game digitally.

Yeah leaning towards physical. That boxart is just to sweet.

do you plan on ever selling it when it's worth anything? if not, go digital.

I normally never sale my games but I have given some away to some of my friends kids. Another reason why I'm thinking physical.

I can't make up my mind to go physical or digital.

I had the same dilemma and decided on digital.

I usually go physical, but I like the idea of being able to quickly jump in anytime for a quick race without switching carts out. Improved loading times if installed on internal helps a bit too.

V-Faction

When the items are spinning, am I crazy or in past Mario karts did tapping the weapon button kind of 'stop' the roulette spin?

It's been such a force of habit, but did it ever work? MK8DX is first time I'm really aware of that not working at all, as pressing the weapon button before the item lands honks the horn.

Am I crazy?

It totally did used to work.

muteki

Snagged a copy over at Best Buy. Knew from experience that I wasn't getting it @ launch from amazon unless I've preordered at least a couple weeks in advance lol.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
From another thread, it's already sold more copies than Zelda on Amazon:

15789.gif

wat
I didn't think it could climb up on top Zelda, good lord.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I still wish the game at least had some FXAA, but it definitely looks way better now that it's native 1080p. I no longer feel like I'm going back to a previous gen when I decide to run a few races after playing a PS4 or PC game. $60 worth it for that alone imo.

Having had the previous incarnation on the Wii U and then playing this for about a half hour, it's really a nice "remaster" if you will. I agree, the bump in resolution to native 1080p looks amazing but would still like them to have used some type of AA to give it that really clean, non-jaggy look.

But 1080p and 60fps with alot of "background" animation in each course gives me comfort that developers do have extra power to play with here compared to the Wii U.

Am I crazy?
If you're playing online, one of the ways the game handles lag is to disable that. Not sure why. If not, it should be working and is for me.

ultrazilla

Gold Member

Am I crazy?

Nope. Not crazy. It's not in here. Unless it's hidden away in control options...

Chitown B

How do you get Amazon to give you stuff?

When I ordered the Master Edition of BOTW they didn't cancel it even though they didn't ship it so I thought I was getting mine, but they didn't and they charged me, they had the amount out of my account for a week and they didn't even freaking apologize.

I paid Amazon 120 bucks for a week so they could string me around. Do you ask for a manager do you say something?

you contact them through the site. there's a spot for it.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
It's there. I'm at 3K VR now and it's been working for me as long as there aren't any severe laggers in the room (severe laggers cause severe item roulette lag).

I stand corrected then. Perhaps I was using the wrong button. I haven't played online, just single player.

AdanVC

From another thread, it's already sold more copies than Zelda on Amazon:

15789.gif

wat

How is that even possible!? Holy shit I'm starting to think this freaking console might achieve those 10 million mark Nintendo set to sell for this year...

I'm in the exact same boat. The idea of playing this in bed is very tempting.

I knoow! You can technically do it with the Wii U gamepad too as long as the Wii U console it's in your room pointing to your bed lol, but of course the image quality of the gamepad and Switch tablet screens are universes ahead of difference!

Going through the cups on every speed right now so I can learn the new courses. 6 down in 50cc!
HD rumble is fab here. Best use since 1 2 Switch. Rumble hasn't been special in Zelda, Puyo Tetris, Fast RMX, or Bomberman for me so to have it be great here is really nice. :)

Neiteio

This game is even better than I remember. So good! I think SNES Rainbow Road might be the prettiest thing I've ever seen on an electronic display. :-O

Yeah leaning towards physical. That boxart is just to sweet.
The convenience of accessing the game instantly without having to swap out tiny easy-to-lose carts is much, much sweeter. Not to mention you don't have to boot Zelda from the cartridge slot. Besides, the boxart is in the game on the title screen. Digital is the way to go!

Shizza

Downloaded it last night and played a couple multiplayer games before heading to bed.

This is the battle mode I've been waiting 3 years for.

I miss my particular kart/wheels/glider combo from Wii U, but I love this game, so I'm sure I'll unlock it over the weekend.

Neff

OK so Nintendo's online infrastructure is 2000% better than it ever was during MK8's original release. Almost no lag and not a single disconnect yet. Back in the day I'd be lucky to get 3-4 races tops before being thrown out. Bodes extremely well for Splatoon and Smash.

This game is even better than I remember.

I'd say it's quite a bit better. It runs better, it looks better (with the added bonus of full range RGB when docked), has more content, the item stacking adds a huge amount of strategy to the game, HD rumble is great, online is faultless, and it just so happens to be on a much sexier, more versatile system.

It's fucking beautiful.

feel

Played for a bit, it's soo much fun. <3

Looks damn beautiful on the Switch screen, haven't even tried it on TV. This is all opinion but I didn't find Zelda to be a nice hybrid experience, that epic game for me needs to be on the big TV and it was awkward to press all the buttons required in handheld mode. Mario Kart with the simple controls is just perfect anywhere.

Love the replays.

edit-

What do the GCN, Wii, N64, 3DS on the corner of the pictures when selecting a track mean exactly?

ngower

Was "A" accelerate on the Wii U version? Guess it has been a while since I played.

Getting humbled on 150cc...didn't realize I'd have to re-earn everything. Do coins collected online still count towards earning stuff? Cause I might just hop straight online.

Ninja Dom

Wow! I think this might be the most intensive game on the Switch.

I've just lifted the Switch out of the dock to play in Handheld mode to see how it looks on the screen, and the fans inside are spinning the loudest I've ever heard them. That's after a few online games.

Shahadan

How's the game for people who mostly want's to play alone?

It's ok. There are enough cups to last a while, not to mention you won't complete them in 200cc immediately. You still have to unlock karts and stuff, although characters and tracks are all there immediately.
But obviously it's more fun online, and in two/three button presses you're matched against people who are more fun to play against than CPU (and not necessarily playing better)

molnizzle

How's the game for people who mostly want's to play alone?

Alone as in online against other people or alone as in by yourself?

Single player is pretty barebones but with all the DLC tracks there's still a large amount of content to try and 3-star.

What do the GCN, Wii, N64, 3DS on the corner of the pictures when selecting a track mean exactly?

Those are remastered tracks from previous Mario Kart games. The platform tells you which version the track originally came from.

Is HD rumble on when playing with joy-cons attached to the Switch?

I mostly play like it so disappointed if that doesn't happen :/

It is.

Was "A" accelerate on the Wii U version? Guess it has been a while since I played.

Getting humbled on 150cc...didn't realize I'd have to re-earn everything. Do coins collected online still count towards earning stuff? Cause I might just hop straight online.

Both A and Y. Y is the secret option for those who like comfort lol

molnizzle

Both A and Y. Y is the secret option for those who like comfort lol

Is there any downside to using auto-accelerate? I've really enjoying it, but I'm not a top tier online player so I'm not sure if there's a disadvantage. I don't want to get used to it and then have to go back for some reason.

Top Bottom