• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Patch Coming: On-TV Map, Stats Screen, and Improved Online

Does this mean the control settings for wiimote won't change randomly between sets? Because my friends were pretty annoyed with that.

Also, we encountered something odd. I kept unlocking items by going into the time trials menu and then backing out. It just kept doing it. It gave me 50 coins every time I did it.

Also, we encountered something odd. I kept unlocking items by going into the time trials menu and then backing out. It just kept doing it. It gave me 50 coins every time I did it.

It's normal. It will only unlock one vehicle part at once until you actually go reveal it. So going back to main menu / title screen will display the unlock message for the next element.

Mlatador

Banned
Those cosmetic changes are definitely a good thing. However, I'm most interested in the "improved online" part. Will they really be able to fix the fucked up servers? The no hit detection? The occasional speed ups? This would improve things a lot.

However, it won't fix the god awful Item balancing, so...

Being curious, what do some people want out of item balancing? I doubt it will ever happen but still. I don't like how the coin is so frequent in 1st and 2nd place and getting stuff like single mushrooms and green shells in 11th/12th place is dumb but other that, I don't think it's terrible. The star and the mushrooms could both use a boost though.

I've seen some people (not here) that seem to want to back to the hectic style of MK Wii which I while I did enjoy, got extremely annoying after a while. I think there needs to be some balance in that people near the back have some chance of catching up but at the same time not punish good players on a consistent basis (blue shell frequency which was probably at its worst in Wii). Really, while 12 players is good so more people can play, it probably made the balancing worse. I wonder if the reduction from 12 to 8 racers in MK7 was a balancing issue or a limitation one.

Zing

Banned
I was really hoping for an eight racer limit in this game. I feel it did wonders for MK7. I mean, no one enjoys being 8-12 place. What's the point of having so many people so they can all just bat each other around to claim such a grand victory over of the other losers. With the toned down star and greatly reduced occurrence of bullets and lightning, it's virtually impossible to come back once you are that far behind. In MK7, being in 7-8 place still felt reasonable and like I was part of the race.

It's normal. It will only unlock one vehicle part at once until you actually go reveal it. So going back to main menu / title screen will display the unlock message for the next element.

Yeah I figured it out going back last night. I didn't realize it only showed one thing at a time.

Branson

I was really hoping for an eight racer limit in this game. I feel it did wonders for MK7. I mean, no one enjoys being 8-12 place. What's the point of having so many people so they can all just bat each other around to claim such a grand victory over of the other losers. With the toned down star and greatly reduced occurrence of bullets and lightning, it's virtually impossible to come back once you are that far behind. In MK7, being in 7-8 place still felt reasonable and like I was part of the race.

I think in racing games the more cars on track the better. 12 is too low I say we shoot for 20 next.

You miss the point. 12 allows for more friends to play together, and it also means a better room turnover; in MK7 it wasn't unusual to be put in spectator mode for literally dozens of minutes because no spot freed up.

Also, with the way MK8 battles work, you'll be more likely to find opponents on the map with 12 players rather than 8.

Revven

Being curious, what do some people want out of item balancing? I doubt it will ever happen but still. I don't like how the coin is so frequent in 1st and 2nd place and getting stuff like single mushrooms and green shells in 11th/12th place is dumb but other that, I don't think it's terrible. The star and the mushrooms could both use a boost though.

I've seen some people (not here) that seem to want to back to the hectic style of MK Wii which I while I did enjoy, got extremely annoying after a while. I think there needs to be some balance in that people near the back have some chance of catching up but at the same time not punish good players on a consistent basis (blue shell frequency which was probably at its worst in Wii). Really, while 12 players is good so more people can play, it probably made the balancing worse. I wonder if the reduction from 12 to 8 racers in MK7 was a balancing issue or a limitation one.

Ultimately, people just don't want to be fucked over by things they feel they should have control over. Right now, in the normal item balance (not Frantic mode) coins pop up too frequently in First place (and sometimes Second) while places 5th-12th (or 6th-12th) only ever get Mushrooms, Stars, or Shells (maybe even sometimes Crazy 8s) which do very little for them to catch up to 1st-4th. You literally have no control over what can happen when you're in first place -- you're at the mercy of the game's RNG both in what items you get and whether you can defend yourself.

I'm not sure what Nintendo should do but making coins an item definitely made things worse than they would otherwise. And nerfing the Star to be effectively worse than Triple 'Shrooms or Golden Mushrooms in most situations was also a bad move.

I definitely do not want them to return to how things were in MKWii. I feel like the current balance only needs small tweaks, such as Bullet Bills being slightly more frequent (I mean come on, at least about as frequent as MK7 or MKDS!) and Stars being better (faster than shrooms would be enough IMO, the duration is fine).

And Green Shells need to be less punishing and everything. Definitely one of the best weapons in the game. Ugh.

Revven

Is the netcode not good enough atm?

It's worse than MK7 somehow. Invisible items can happen (meaning you can get hit by something you didn't even see), your items won't hit people (meaning even though it looks like your items would hit them on your screen, on theirs it didn't), communication errors happen randomly (even though it was a good connection), and many other problems.

Hopefully by improved online it addresses all those issues and more.

Anth0ny

And Green Shells need to be less punishing and everything. Definitely one of the best weapons in the game. Ugh.

Green shells are why I stopped playing 8.

I cracked open 7 for the first time after quitting 8, and I had a LOT more fun with that game. Is there a list of differences between the two games? I can't quite put my finger on it, but 7 felt like a better game in almost every way. Green shells were DEFINITELY less punishing.

benjammin

Nice update. Now all we need is battle arenas and this will be just about the perfect kart racer. And please, no more garbage cash grab dlc. The art style is one of the best parts of mk8, stop ruining it with ugly, out of place dlc

well good, cuz I'm getting a little tired of selecting my same Kart customization every single time I log back on.

and why the hell was the default option "view replay" instead of "next race" in GP anyway, I'm mashing A and then FUUUUUUUU--

Davey Cakes

Great!

Now give us Battle Arenas, Nintendo.
This kind of statement bugs me for a couple of reasons:

1) It's a demand which makes you sound entitled
2) It's greedy in general because you're already getting one signficant patch and you already want more
3) It's so darn true :(

Now that we know how MK8 is getting DLC and patches, people are basically going to expect Nintendo to address ALL of the game's issue with post-release content.

That said I'll gladly support them if they want to beef up the game and make it a post-release 11/10. Heh.

bart64

Banned
So, everyone wants the strong items to be weaker, and the weak items to be stronger. But they also want things to be harder for the front of the pack, and easier for the back. Does not compute....

Revven

Also, there is still no way to play multiplayer in two screens a la Sonic Transformed?

That's a feature that will likely never come.

I don't know why people keep asking for it when the game was not built with it in mind. There would have to be extreme sacrifices for the game to make it work -- are you suggesting you would be okay with sub-30 FPS and a big resolution drop to have that feature?

Also, I'm sure Nintendo looked into it already and decided it's not what they wanted for the game -- not meeting their quality standards and all.

Zing

Banned
You miss the point. 12 allows for more friends to play together, and it also means a better room turnover; in MK7 it wasn't unusual to be put in spectator mode for literally dozens of minutes because no spot freed up.
You are incorrectly speaking of MK7 in the past tense. I still play it as I have for about a year, and I cannot recall ever being in spectator mode for longer than a single race. I also cannot recall feeling that I had absolutely no reason to continue the race, as if have many times in MK8. Although, I also don't recall that feeling in MK Wii, so maybe something else is negatively affecting the ability to make a comeback, assuming the player is skilled.

Davey Cakes

So, everyone wants the strong items to be weaker, and the weak items to be stronger. But they also want things to be harder for the front of the pack, and easier for the back. Does not compute....
I don't even know what I want. Maybe I just want to get better.

Or I want less single mushrooms in the back of the pack when people towards the front are getting triple mushrooms...

There's "git gud" and then there's just being absolutely hopeless because the game doesn't throw you a bone.

If I were designing a game like this I'd have no idea how to balance it.

Roo

So, everyone wants the strong items to be weaker, and the weak items to be stronger.
What? I assume you have not played the game?
That's already the case. Get hit by a banana and three shells and you're fucked.
Get mushrooms and a star and you will hardly move.

chadboban

What? I assume you have not played the game?
That's already the case. Get hit by a banana and three shells and you're fucked.
Get mushrooms and a star and you will hardly move.

Star especially seems so damn useless when there is no one around. I honestly feel like it doesn't even give a speed boost at times.

Davey Cakes

I've gotten three stars in a row and moved up a single place.

The game said "hey, you deserve amazing luck today! Here you go!" but even good luck wasn't enough because the people in front of me aren't just good, but they're getting items that pull them ahead which basically negate the ones I have.

I'd prefer to blame myself for imcompetence but nah. Three stars should have some effect on the outcome of the race. People say MK Wii was even more imbalanced but when I got lucky in that game I actually benefited from it.

MK8 is really fun but I definitely feel like the game just says "fuck you, you're staying at the back" more often than any other MK game.

Star especially seems so damn useless when there is no one around. I honestly feel like it doesn't even give a speed boost at times.

I can agree with this. The star in 8 has been nerfed considerably.

However I always thought recovering from getting hit with green shells was pretty quick.

Neper

Neo Member
Have they clarified how will the map work on the TV screen? It's nice to have it there rather than in the Gamepad, but I don't want it to obscure the race partially.

The star in MK8 is so goddamn laughable. You get that shit on Rainbow Road, you have a better chance of running off the road then catching up to anybody, minus avoiding a lightning strike maybe

chadboban

Have they clarified how will the map work on the TV screen? It's nice to have it there rather than in the Gamepad, but I don't want it to obscure the race partially.

I hope there will be a toggle, so you can choose whether you want it on the gamepad or on the screen and what part of the screen you want to place it (This is probably asking for too much though). I also hope for more UI customization in general.

Azure J

The star in MK8 is so goddamn laughable. You get that shit on Rainbow Road, you have a better chance of running off the road then catching up to anybody, minus avoiding a lightning strike maybe

Still not as terrifying an item to have on RR as the goddamn Piranha Plant. The star in general could use a small speed buff.

Also, here's the proper way to nerf green shells, reduce the hitstun you're put in after a green shell/red shell collision. While we're talking about this, why does a damn banana peel remove all forward momentum/bring you to a stop as well?

Dr.Hadji

I'd prefer to blame myself for imcompetence but nah. Three stars should have some effect on the outcome of the race. People say MK Wii was even more imbalanced but when I got lucky in that game I actually benefited from it.

They're really useful if you have 10 coins and shave off track by going off road. But you're right, they're no longer a "get me to the front" item.

MK8 is really fun but I definitely feel like the game just says "fuck you, you're staying at the back" more often than any other MK game.

One of the best parts of the new game IMO.

Being curious, what do some people want out of item balancing?

What I've been wanting from MK8 item balance-wise, is for certain items to be buffed/nerfed. A lot of people by now have come to the conclusion that the Blue Shell is a joke. It doesn't take away the item of the person it hits and has a shorter hitstun than a banana. Triple Red Shells in 2nd are more horrifying than it, as it's essentially the equivalent of taking three Blue Shells in a row. It needs to return to its MKW glory. But of course not with the same level of frequency, lol. There's nothing wrong with 1st being able to "drive off with a banana in hand" if the buffed Blue Shell were to come around. And speaking of Red Shells, they seriously need to be nerfed a bit. Get rid of their flying mechanics, as it makes no damn sense for someone to be able to get shot out of the sky and lose 6 coins total over something practically unavoidable. I think that one change would make them a lot less overpowered. Though they should also be made a bit less common.

- The Piranha Plant should be able to bite oncoming Red Shells, as your backside is endlessly exposed when this item is activated, making you too big of a target. It also should have a more delayed time between the user being hit and it being able to start chomping again. Makes passing anyone with a Piranha Plant, even after hitting them, a hassle.

- Coin item frequency should be significantly lower the higher your coin count is (I'm talking about a 0-10% chance of getting one when maxed), because as we all know, getting nothing but coins in 1st even after maxing out is flat out unfair and simply chips out the leader in anticipation of Red Shells.

- Get rid of smart-bouncing Green Shells. Their hitbox was already increased, now they track racers too? It's ridiculously hard to avoid the majority of the time, and only adds to what makes this game so overly hectic.

- Triple items should be able to be activated by choice, not by default. You have any idea how shitty it is when you pick up some Triple Bananas only for them to all immediately vanish because the dude behind you is spraying and praying with their Fire Flower? Scenarios like that could all be avoided if Nintendo would allow us to be a bit more strategic with our triple items. (Triple Mushrooms not counted here)

- Starman should give you a speed boost. There was no reason to remove that. Getting a Starman nowadays means absolutely nothing unless if there's a shortcut nearby or a Thunderbolt on the horizon. Worst feeling ever; getting a goddamn Starman as your last item on the final stretch. Unless if the race is still a clusterfuck with people left and right getting hit with you being able to breeze by them because lolinvincibility, you're screwed. It's become a pretty... situational item, rather than an "ultimate" one.

- Fire Flower should have a little less... ammo. Though it was likely due to limitations in MK7, having less fireballs bouncing around would make things a bit less chaotic. Perhaps increase the size of the fireballs and their hitbox, and decrease the amount of fireballs able to be thrown at once. Maybe around 4-6 max.

- And finally, lower the frequency of the Triple Mushroom item. I have legitimately seen seven people holding this item at once. What difference does it make to even get the item if EVERYONE has it? You're not going to pass anyone now. Hell, chances are you'll stay right where you are. 3 people with Triple Mushrooms max please.

Of course there's the necessary modifications of where people can get items, since 2nd place getting a Crazy 8 is insane, but anyone could easily decide a more appropriate position for these items to be distributed. Distance-based distribution doesn't work. It should be changed. But I doubt Nintendo will be willing to. =/

Honestly, this is how Mario Kart should always work. Those that get into higher positions should have to put in actual effort to stay up there, with those in the back being given a chance to overtake those in the front. It's really stupid for the whole back of the pack to constantly be screwed over by the uncontrollable carnage, while one or two other racers go home free. There needs to be some level of control to keeping yourself from getting screwed over in this game. A little more of a skill ceiling I suppose. It'd be nice to get first and actually feel like you deserved it because you played well. Not because your RNG luck smiled your way and protected you from 2nd place Triple Reds and Blue Shells.

your items won't hit people (meaning even though it looks like your items would hit them on your screen, on theirs it didn't)

This is lag, doesn't have much to do with the game itself, and Nintendo has always used this lag compensation system for online Mario Kart games.

You are incorrectly speaking of MK7 in the past tense. I still play it as I have for about a year, and I cannot recall ever being in spectator mode for longer than a single race.

I mean obviously when joining friends, not when using the random worldwide menu. Happens often especially at high level where pretty much everyone join each other via friends.

Also, here's the proper way to nerf green shells, reduce the hitstun you're put in after a green shell/red shell collision. While we're talking about this, why does a damn banana peel remove all forward momentum/bring you to a stop as well?

Because with the impossibility of stacking items, you are less prone to setting up traps. Thus, to make such traps not pointless, they increased their power.

By the way, they've already done what you said... hitstun for pretty much all items bar the banana has been reduced compared with MKWii/MK7. MK8 looks more like MKDD in that regard.

Mlatador

Banned

Let me start with a few things that immediately come to mind:

- Have the Coin Item stop appearing after you've already collected 10 coins. It's already bad enough if you get it pre-10 coins, because on one hand you're 2 coins richer, but open to fire.

- Stop giving every god damn offensive item auto-aim. The absolut WORST offender in this regard is of course the Green Shell. It is absolutely ridiculous how often it hits you. Even if it misses you, it will continue looking for other players to hit. The Boomerang has some pretty heavy auto-aim as well. Even the fireballs seem to have a very slight form of auto aim (if they bounce off the walls).

I think those two points are the most annoying.

Little less annoying, but why not?

- Stop giving the same items to 2 different players. What I mean by that is: Player A) drives through an item box and gets a red shell. Player B) behind him drives through the same item box (after it re-appeared) and gets a red shell as well (that goes for all kinds of items). What this means is: As soon as Player A) shoots off his red shell to maybe gain a position, player B) who is behind him does the same, so player A) looses his position and gains nothing OR if he got used to this practise and defends with his red shell, doesn't gain anything at all, since B) shoots at defending A) and both end up getting nothing. This happens very very often, because people have already figured it out.

This is not a major problem, but it kind of sucks. That's also the reason why you see a phenomenon called "bullet bill train", where you see 2 bullet bills go off right at the same time.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm hoping the patch will reduce the lag in online matches. How often do I throw a red shell at someone, only to see it lagging right behind its target for a few secs before actually hitting him/her? How often I see someone do the "getting hit" animation, yet still move at normal speed?

Too often.

Mlatador

Banned
I'm hoping the patch will reduce the lag in online matches. How often do I throw a red shell at someone, only to see it lagging right behind its target for a few secs before actually hitting him/her? How often I see someone do the "getting hit" animation, yet still move at normal speed?

Too often.

Definitely, and in a game that so heavily relies on items, this is game changing. I don't even know if something like that can be easily fixed with a patch. Oh well, let's see.

Too often.

So you're basically hoping that Nintendo patches the Internet? Do you understand the implications and effects of lag compensation in such a game?
There's nothing that can be done about lag issues, only the presentation can be changed, which is precisely what they did with MK8: you see people being hit, regardless of whether they've been really hit or not. While in MKWii/MK7, you see your items (such as green shells) going through opponents, and then only afterwards they fly over if your console receives the confirmation that the person got hit on his screen. (Didn't apply to invincibility items though.)

Another change they made in MK8 online mode is hiding the position indicator at the end of the race so that people don't whine too much about position lag, because again Nintendo can't patch people's connections.

Top Bottom