• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Patch Coming: On-TV Map, Stats Screen, and Improved Online

scitek

They're finally fixing that goddamn "Next Race" problem.

lolll

I didn't know this was a complaint with other people, but I remember commenting to my brother about some of the problems I had with the game, and how accidentally choosing the highlight reel instead of next race really irked me.

I love how Nnitendo updates their games with significant changes months after release, though. Pikmin 3's support was fantastic.

Did they ever discuss adding the option for 2 players coop play, with one on the gamepad and another using the TV? This is the only real bummer i have with the game.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Did they ever discuss adding the option for 2 players coop play, with one on the gamepad and another using the TV? This is the only real bummer i have with the game.

Seeing how Hyrule Warriors has a lowered resolution for this mode I don't think will ever see this mode for MK8, not with a significant downgrade (probably lower FPS and/or less details).

Seeing how Hyrule Warriors has a lowered resolution for this mode I don't think will ever see this mode for MK8, not with a significant downgrade (probably lower FPS and/or less details).

Yep.

I am SURE Nintendo considered it but it wasn't up to their standards technically and they didn't want that compromise.

Watch Shinen include it for FAST Racing Neo though without any compromise:p

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yep.

I am SURE Nintendo considered it but it wasn't up to their standards technically and they didn't want that compromise.

Watch Shinen include it for FAST Racing Neo though without any compromise:p

Shinen are wizards so I expect the unexpected from them (inclusive pulling something like 1080p 60 fps), but probably FAST Racing Neo won't have all the little bits and pieces that matter in MK8 (character animation, fireworks, crowds, wet cap, muddy tires etc.).

Kiant

tumblr_m7wha6r7EK1qzqdem.gif

Shinen are wizards so I expect the unexpected from them (inclusive pulling something like 1080p 60 fps), but probably FAST Racing Neo won't have all the little bits and pieces that matter in MK8 (character animation, fireworks, crowds, wet cap, muddy tires etc.).

Yeah, it's kind of apples and oranges but these fuckers will pick apart the Wii U to wow people.

I'm more into fun and design than technical fireworks but I'm starting to warm up on Shinen after playing Nano Assault Neo.

That's a great looking AND playing game and it's quite fun but I think FAST Racing Neo will be a true test for them as more could go wrong in that type of game than a simple shooter.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Holy crap. Can't believe this is real.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
After thinking about it, this -does- make me really curious to see what they patch in when Amiibos come out. They're willing to add a lot of new interface features so I wonder what they'll do for the figures.

(I suspect something related to ghosts at the very least, ala Smash Bros AI characters.)

Exile20

After thinking about it, this -does- make me really curious to see what they patch in when Amiibos come out. They're willing to add a lot of new interface features so I wonder what they'll do for the figures.

(I suspect something related to ghosts at the very least, ala Smash Bros AI characters.)

I just hope nintendo continues to support MK8 for atleast 2 years. We only get one MK a generation.

Sorry if this has been covered, but does this include allowing 2-player local multiplayer with one player fullscreen on the Gamepad and the other fullscreen on the TV?

SerTapTap

Pretty good patch, wonder if item balance/rarity will be tweaked at all. Just want dat MK64 battle mode back though. Wasn't expecting that in a patch though. Will probably be DLC, maybe 1 free arena like Pikmin if we're lucky, that was pretty cool.

Nintendo is patching... a game?

They added touch screen controls to Pikmin 3 a while ago too. Anyone thinking Nintendo never patching a game was a good thing was crazy. Huge difference between not releasing a broken game and supporting a game post launch.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Yes, it's included in the game.

If you mean """""""""""""""""proper"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" battle arenas to replace the totally """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""unplayable""""""""""""""" current battle mode tracks, then I wouldn't hold my breath.

There's a chance down the road there might be something but I doubt it's high on the list of priorities for Nintendo.

The best reason there might be them is that they would probably be easier to make than all-new racing tracks.

I think Nintendo will be producing a lot more content for Mario Kart 8, it's their most popular home console title and they need to pump as much money out of it as possible. Tracks, battle arenas, characters, amiibo functionality, it will all be coming.

Thank you Nintendo! Faster than I thought, and some of these are much needed. Although some of them should have been there in the first place...

Now just sell me more levels and a battle mode thats a worthy successor to the N64 one. Please.

I think Nintendo will be producing a lot more content for Mario Kart 8, it's their most popular home console title and they need to pump as much money out of it as possible. Tracks, battle arenas, characters, amiibo functionality, it will all be coming.

I hope so.

The skeleton is set in place and to me it's the best playing and animating game in the series.

I often wondered if it selling well(which it has) would lead to more or less DLC.

In one respect, they could capitalize on many people that have the system and game paying for it and in another, they might feel many people bought it so it's complete and doesn't need anything else substantially.

RGamer2009

Neo Member
Excellent! These fixes are very good. The Next Race/Highlight Reel fix and the last used kart customization will be fantastic.

I now await the Battle Mode DLC.

Morts

I forgot they said there would be Amiibo support. Actually, I forgot about Amiibos. Hopefully it's something substantially and not just selecting your character by touching a statue to the gamepad. I'd love New tracks at some point.

atr0cious

the totally """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""unplayable""""""""""""""" current battle mode tracks,

Just want to say this isn't true at all. Lately, I've been loading up battle more than race, and it's been amazing fun. Of course arena maps are welcome, but to say the maps are unplayable is untrue, even shitty Yoshi's Raceway is alright. You can even use the map on the gamepad to see where everyone is, although I play off-tv only, so I don't use it. And since it's 12 players, it's a blast. I've been top 3 nearly every time I play it, especially since almost no one knows about the U-turn or quick turn maneuvers.

Just want to say this isn't true at all. Lately, I 've been loading up battle more than race, and it's been amazing fun. Of course arena maps are welcome, but to say the maps are unplayable is untrue, even shitty Yoshi's Raceway is alright. You can even use the map on the gamepad to see where everyone is, although I play off-tv only, so I don't use it. And since it's 12 players, it's a blast. I've been top 3 nearly every time I play it, especially since almost no one knows about the U-turn or quick turn maneuvers.

Yeah, my quotes were of mocking.

It's cool if people genuinely don't have fun with the change in battle tracks but I can't help but suspect that many wrote it off before even playing that mode.

I haven't played it with anything but bots yet but I find it pretty fun and not "awful" at all.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This. Nintendo will most likely make MK8 its system seller for years. After Pikmin 3, I'm convinced they see their main games as platforms, hosting new content for a long time. Moreso with MK8 than with any pther game, seeing how successful it is to wow people.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Yes, it's included in the game.

If you mean """""""""""""""""proper"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" battle arenas to replace the totally """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""unplayable""""""""""""""" current battle mode tracks, then I wouldn't hold my breath.

There's a chance down the road there might be something but I doubt it's high on the list of priorities for Nintendo.

The best reason there might be them is that they would probably be easier to make than all-new racing tracks.
What an odd snarky response to an innocuous question. I don't fault anyone for requesting arena tracks, since Nintendo themselves set everyone's expectations. And I really hope they're on their to-do/DLC list.

The current tracks simply doesn't measure up imo, regardless of everyone's general thoughts on Battle mode.

I wish everyone would save their exagerrated replies for exagerrating posts.

Nyoro SF

Time is running out for new courses/maps to be announced :(

For starters, the time limit for this is quite long. Even post holiday it is possible for this to happen. Never stop believing in the MK Wii Course Pack!

Second, your tag is hilarious

What an odd snarky response to an innocuous question. I don't fault anyone for requesting arena tracks, since Nintendo themselves set everyone's expectations. And I really hope they're on their to-do/DLC list.

The current tracks simply doesn't measure up imo, regardless of everyone's general thoughts on Battle mode.

I wish everyone would save their exagerrated replies for exagerrating posts.

Why would there be news about Battle Mode???

It's not broken or nonexistent.

I'd be cool with some specific battle arenas but they went with this for whatever reasons.

Top Bottom