• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Patch Coming: On-TV Map, Stats Screen, and Improved Online

Joqu

Sounds like a decent update, nice.

They should really do something about battle mode though, whether they do it as paid DLC or not.

Roo

I wish the Mercedes karts were colored after each character
I mean, seriously, how hard can it be
inzUdiRR3CF1x.png

ib0E2YehxAjcld.png

I know there are a few color variations but they're so opaque it ends up looking even worse.

JoeM86

Hope the TV map has a toggle. I don't want it cluttering up the screen. In my view, they got the balance perfect

Cloud21

Neo Member
I don't know WTF they were thinking when they decided no one needed a map. Next they need to make split screen be horizontal instead of vertical. I feel like whoever designed the game doesn't actually drive because you can't even see where you're turning
Oh! Finally someone who's with me on this, also the camera is too much near the characters so you don't see anything turning with the moto (the problem isn't there with carts). If Nintendo fixes those things too me and my friends could return to play the game, till then it is taking dust (I only play with local friends). If they fix the bug that you see the alarm for objects aimed for the player behind you and you don't see or hear the alarm for object direct to you then it would be perfect!

daycru

This tipster is legit?

Hope the TV map has a toggle. I don't want it cluttering up the screen. In my view, they got the balance perfect

Same here, gimme all them pixels for racing. I wonder if the stat tracking will include all of our pre-patch races and coins as well.

I never really had a problem with the map being off the TV. I just hope they get rid of coins in 2nd and 3rd. I'd get rid of them all together if I had a choice.

Wow I'm SHOCKED Nintendo is adding & fixing stuff!

I thought they may just patch online stability, but never did I expect them to add a map on screen or save previously used kart setup!

jdw_b

The map thing never bothered me but the records screen is very welcome.

Also, dem mercs! Can't wait to try the 300sl

JoeM86

I'm actually surprised at the amount of people wanting an item rebalance. I've put in considerable time and have not had issues with it. Sure, it's sometimes annoying when all I get is coins, but that's the luck of the draw.

I've never had it where the person in first has zoomed off because he has a banana protecting him. Never.

Thankfully, I do not believe Nintendo will ever put out a patch to rebalance things. They spend ages working out the balance for things like this. They're not just going to scrap it.

imae

I was expecting game updates for MK8 after seeing the support Pikmin 3 has gotten since release.

Great changes for a first patch. Part of me is hoping you can turn off the TV map, but at the same time it'll make the game easier by not having to force you to look at another screen.

Records screen and improved online are the big things for me, and those usability changes are very welcome.

I'm actually surprised at the amount of people wanting an item rebalance. I've put in considerable time and have not had issues with it. Sure, it's sometimes annoying when all I get is coins, but that's the luck of the draw.

I've never had it where the person in first has zoomed off because he has a banana protecting him. Never.

Thankfully, I do not believe Nintendo will ever put out a patch to rebalance things. They spend ages working out the balance for things like this. They're not just going to scrap it.

I do that all the time, unless online item balance is different than single player

Neff

Wow, they did literally everything we asked for except Battle Mode, which will probably be DLC.

I'm impressed, and excited about the prospect of being able to reliably play online all night.

GRW810

Finally getting a records page. Can't believe that wasn't in there from day one, MKWii had extensive records.

Where did all this info come from?

And they've actually listened to what people have been asking for.

I like this new Nintendo.

On the flipside though you can argue that some of their recent games are way too barebones. The Pikmin and especially New Super Mario updates should have been there from the start, along with some of the MK8 features. Nintendo games feeling a bit empty and light started on the 3DS for me, with MK7. I'm hoping this is just temporary.

deleted

While we are at it, give me a toggle for the soundtrack as well. Or an option menu. While it is fantastic, I'd like to switch to my own music after a while without losing out on the sound effects as well.

Oh and please also safe the stats for the second player online.

Just yesterday I wanted to post if Nintendo seriously isn't planning to add anything until the amiibo integration (which could very well be half hearted like the Smash Bros one) at the end of the year.

When they are still working on it, they'll hopefully also add new drivers, battle maps and stuff.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
add map display on the TV screen

I hope this is optional, I like my screen clean of HUD to see the whole Mona Lisa in motion.

Records screen w/ total coins, online win-loss record, character selection rates, etc. being added. Improved online stability.

Good, I might check it once or twice.

Default menu selection following GP changing to next race. Last used kart customization added to save. Edit others' highlights.

Yes, yes, yes.

tumblr_m2su7wfSRR1qhlnuu.gif

Hope map on TV is optional.

Hopefully at some point they will update battle mode. That is the biggest issue with the game for me.

Ombala

These posts just keep getting crazier and crazier
I dont see how being able too buy a WiiU without the gamepad is crazy. Very few games use it good and the way they could lower the price would mean alot of ppl would get intrested in the WiiU.

I dont see how being able too buy a WiiU without the gamepad is crazy. Very few games use it good and the way they could lower the price would mean alot of ppl would get intrested in the WiiU.

No, not that. Well, I mean yes, I do think that thinking we'll get a Wii U without a gamepad is crazy, but I was referring to the "signs" people see that make them think that.

They also patched in a touch-mode to Pikmin 3. Does that mean Nintendo is preparing to sell a console with two gamepads, since they're clearly doubling-down on it?

JoeM86

Nintendo is patching... a game?

Cant believe Nintendo is patching something.

Someone asked me to make a list of patches Nintendo has made (downloadable yourself so not including save file patches of GCN/Wii time). This is by far not an unusual thing.

3DS
Mario Kart 7
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Tomodachi Life
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros
New Style Boutique
Pokémon X & Y
Pokémon Bank
Pokémon Tretta Lab
Steel Diver: Sub Wars

Wii U
New Super Mario Bros. U (I believe two patches have been released for it)
NintendoLand
Pikmin 3 (3 or 4 patches. Usually just adding DLC features, until the recent GamePad one)
Wii Sports Club
Wii Fit U
NES Remix
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Mario Kart 8

There may be a couple I missed

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Stats could make me play the game for years, if it tracks my records against my Wii U friends.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
This is a nice little update, hopefully we get new characters and tracks towards the end of the year.

Skele7on

Banned
Having just bought a Wii U and Mario Kart I have one question.

WHERE IS KING BOO? Have a track dedicated to him, yet no character?

BOO...

AdanVC

Wohoo! Nintendo of Europe just tweeted that the Mercedez cars and the patch will be available on 27/08 as well! Now it's your turn, NoA!

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Good on Nintendo for those changes.

People acting suprised at Nintendo patching a game should, like, inform themselves and read on all the stuff they did for Pikmin 3 from its release a year ago and a few weeks ago with the latest patch adding a control scheme.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Yeah, me too. So many complains about being second and not able to fuck up the one in the first place. It's still a racing game, not a pew-pew, the best racer on the track should still be able to defend his/her well deserved place. I'm more losing than winning races, but I don't blame it on items balancing.

Having just bought a Wii U and Mario Kart I have one question.

WHERE IS KING BOO? Have a track dedicated to him, yet no character?

BOO...
Boo being left out of mario kart 8 really is baffling. We need more heavy weights!

EDIT:
Yeah, me too. So many complains about being second and not able to fuck up the one in the first place. It's still a racing game, not a pew-pew, the best racer on the track should still be able to defend his/her well deserved place. I'm more losing than winning races, but I don't blame it on items balancing.
Whoever gets out ahead to first place stands the best chance of actually keeping first place thanks largely in part to the way the items work. If you're in first and can avoid whatever 2nd place uses early in the race, the rest of the race, outside of blue shells, turns into a cluster with 1st place cruising to an easy victory (barring poor driving skills and epic failure). I'm not saying there's a way to fix it, but i would argue that 50% of the races play out that way. So I don't think it makes sense to downplay the impacts that items have in the game. Yeah, it's a racing game, but outside of items or watching the person ahead screw up, there is no real way to catch a person through "racing" when in second place. So the whole racing element in mario kart 8 can be a bit of a misnomer.

JoeM86

Between 27th August and 23rd September, Nintendo and Mercedes-Benz will also host an online worldwide “Mercedes Cup” tournament. All competitors need is a Wii U console, Mario Kart 8, a broadband Internet connection and the Mercedes-Benz karts. Access to the “Mercedes Cup” in the game can be found in the online tournament section.

Ooh

Piccoro

I hope this is optional, I like my screen clean of HUD to see the whole Mona Lisa in motion.

tumblr_m2su7wfSRR1qhlnuu.gif

I agree. I hope that they give us the option of hiding the map. I also prefer to not have the map on TV.

Great update, otherwise. 3 Mercedes will be cool! :)

Sendou

To add to the game, too, not just to attempt to fix broken things like others do

Yeah Nintendo is clearly the only one adding to games with patches. They're still well behind in that you know. In addition they too use patches to fix broken things in their games (ironically a very good example is Mario Kart 7's patch which basically fixed an online that was broken up until that). Adding free tracks to this game especially post-launch would keep the game fresh.

That said these are good fixes. Nothing groundbreaking (actually stuff I would have expected to be there at launch like stats) but still good to see them coming around to it. Mercedes cars are meh but whatever.

Top Bottom