• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Patch Coming: On-TV Map, Stats Screen, and Improved Online

Shun

Can we start a hashtag campaign real quick over this? Maybe they can squeeze it into this update.

Also this:

Yes, please. We need more difficult tracks in a drift-centric game like this.

It gets even harder with items and narrower roads.

Here are more Initial D tracks that can be modified into 3-part tracks rather than laps.

Iroha_map.jpg

S_myogi.gif

Akagi_map.jpg

Fbh

It's a good start but hopefully they keep updating it.

I'd still like a real battle mode, being able to talk to my friends during races and have "fullscreen" gamepad/TV 2 player mode

Exentryk

Fix the fucking item balance, some punk can hold on to a green shell all day while 2nd place is a bigger risk than being in first. Most races feel like the race for second because it is far more likely to get hit in second by the shitstorm following you while first place can hold on to a banana all day while the most he has to worry about is a single red shell which has a more than 50% chance of being blocked anyway so you're stuck sitting in second, praying for a blue shell while you get coins and bananas every row of item boxes. It is dumb.

The problem isn't with the items 1st and 2nd get, but what the lower places get. Single green in 12th? Wut?

Arkage

Banned
Could have just decided not to give it to inward bikes to counter-balance them. That doesn't prove anything.

This has got to be a joke. Bikes already have less precise turning, but lets also make sure they can't fire hop in the name of balance? Exactly how many speed records are held by bikes? I'm guessing zero, as your youtube link so kindly demonstrates that every single speed video has a kart in it.

This is a result of everyone complaining the blue shell was overpowered. So they nerfed the blue shell in power and frequency, and hopefully now people understand why it was the way it was.

Exactly. Never understood the complaints about it pre-MK8. It was a livesaver with keeping 1st from breaking away too far. Though Triple Red Shells in 2nd can be just as devastating, if not more. ...I hope that's fixed in reference to the 'other issues will be addressed' portion of the patch list.

Exactly. Never understood the complaints about it pre-MK8. It was a livesaver with keeping 1st from breaking away too far. Though Triple Red Shells in 2nd can be just as devastating, if not more. ...I hope that's fixed in reference to the 'other issues will be addressed' portion of the patch list.

Yeah, I think the triple reds in second was probably meant to balance out the "first place breakaway" problem. But when second place gets them in the last 1/4 of the last lap in a close race... that sucks.

Bullshit, you get a green shell and you're pretty much safe the entire race waiting for the pack to eventually neutralize your competition because Billy from Great Britain got triple reds in 4th. The single red shell has never been so weak and defense is too strong, not enough stage hazards to really make up for item nerfs so any 3 second lead you get pretty much becomes a time trial. Second fires their red shell at your defence yet who is now vulnerable? The answer is second place because the pack will eat you up as soon as you're shelless. First place is never put on equal risk to second for losing or using their items and that is wrong.

Where do you live? 2008?

BARF

The game is ok as it is, learn to space yourself from the pack, that's why the guys on 1st place you mention get there to begin with.

The issue though, is when you're given an unwanted draft straight into their butt shell/banana. It can also be hard to just avoid in general when the hitbox is bigger than the item itself, lmao.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What exactly does map on TV mean? I use GamePad only. Does it mean it's putting a full map on the TV while I use GamePad, or is it putting a tiny map on the gameplay screen? In which case it should mean you can see the map on the GamePad while playing too.

Also, stats. What about times? We want times! Should be super easy to patch too.

And finally, saving my last kart combo! This is an update I can fully get behind.

PepperedHam

Oh man I'm a sucker for a W-L record. Was pretty bummed originally to see that such a simple, basic thing like that wasn't in the game.

Pretty excited. Hope to see more improvements/DLC in the future.

What exactly does map on TV mean? I use GamePad only. Does it mean it's putting a full map on the TV while I use GamePad, or is it putting a tiny map on the gameplay screen? In which case it should mean you can see the map on the GamePad while playing too.

Also, stats. What about times? We want times! Should be super easy to patch too.

And finally, saving my last kart combo! This is an update I can fully get behind.

It means putting a mini-map on-screen, ala MK64/DD/Wii.

Is it possible for them to patch better maps into battle mode? Or just fix battle mode completely? I still can't believe someone would design battle mode like this, and it's even harder to believe that someone approved it for the final game.

Exentryk

Bullshit, you get a green shell and you're pretty much safe the entire race waiting for the pack to eventually neutralize your competition because Billy from Great Britain got triple reds in 4th. The single red shell has never been so weak and defense is too strong, not enough stage hazards to really make up for item nerfs so any 3 second lead you get pretty much becomes a time trial. Second fires their red shell at your defence yet who is now vulnerable? The answer is second place because the pack will eat you up as soon as you're shelless. First place is never put on equal risk to second for losing or using their items and that is wrong.

Red shells are the most powerful they've been, as they can now FLY, and are harder to avoid even on sharp corners.

About 2nd firing red shell and then being at risk, that's more to do with your strategy. 2nd place should only fire their red just before getting the next item box (and after making sure 3rd place doesn't have a red too using item spy).

I can agree that the 1st place is the most safest place to be in, but there are blue shells, 2nd place triple reds, coins, that can screw them.

Cuburt

Nice patch. Hopefully, they'll flesh out the replay editor and the ability to upload/save custom edited clips.

The game was definitely successful enough to warrant continued support/updates.

It doesn't matter what 2nd does, First place only needs one green shell or banana and their chance of winning is almost a sure thing. After getting a green shell not much else can stop you and triple reds in second probably happens once every ten races so first place still enjoys a rather unfair item chance advantage.

atr0cious

It doesn't matter what 2nd does, First place only needs one green shell or banana and their chance of winning is almost a sure thing. After getting a green shell not much else can stop you and triple reds in second probably happens once every ten races so first place still enjoys a rather unfair item chance advantage.

The worst is breaking off from the pack with first and only getting coins while they hold their banana behind them not allowing you to pass. It's fucking maddening. Thank god they couldn't drift in the clutch.

narton

Any idea of the on screen map might show positions and items on the left side of the screen like on the gamepad, at least in single player play? That'd be awesome.

They patched the last Mario Kart, as well, making it so you can't use the warp trick in Maka Wuhu.
They didn't patch MK7's hop exploit, however, nor did they patch some other bugs. There are actually a few huge ones that they haven't patched. It made me sad.

Yeah even if you break away from the pack in second place, as soon as first gets a green shell it is pretty much "you and what army?" as the short supply of red shells you have fail and you are more likely to get hit by a red shell yourself further increasing the futility.

NA48

Neo Member
Yeah even if you break away from the pack in second place, as soon as first gets a green shell it is pretty much "you and what army?" as the short supply of red shells you have fail and you are more likely to get hit by a red shell yourself further increasing the futility.

This army:

flF9GYQ.jpg

... shot by someone way in the back, nowhere near either of us.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Not sure if you realize that this would invalidate tens of thousands of ghosts
Yeah, that it would. Not only will the exploits probably not be fixed, but a character balance patch probably isn't going to happen either, for the same reason. Lots of people would be pissed if their existing ghosts were broken because of a patch.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Didn't MK Wii even have a patch of sorts (well, an online competition) that added that Top Boss from Mario Galaxy?

Glad they're adding updates, but these really aren't the features that people were clamoring for. Battle Mode is still a joke, the lack of TV/Gamepad splitscreen is embarrassing, and I'd rather have new characters than new karts.

But this is still a really big step for Nintendo. If they show this kind of post-launch support with Smash.. I'm very excited.

Thank you, Nintendo! Hope the patch includes the option to upload replays in 60 fps. That would show the world how beautiful in motion MK8 is!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Very good. That's a good chunk of the stuff people have been requesting. Might get me back into the game, too.
I hope they release detailed patch notes before its release. Too bad it's still some time off.

Top Bottom