• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Patch Coming: On-TV Map, Stats Screen, and Improved Online

A "quality of life" patch from Nintendo? Holy shit. I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that it is because they want MK8 to be the best it can be because that's pretty much their system seller until the end of the year.
My win loss record must be so bad from racing with neo gaf haha
My W/L record was actually still pretty high after racing with NeoGAF a bunch in MK7. I was a bit surprised. Really, I doubt it's that bad. :p

_woLf

Wow, that's pretty cool. I agree with hoping that the map is optional, though. Seems weird to go from nothing to requiring it up there.

And thank fucking goodness that next race is being moved to the top.

Dr Prob

Banned
No he is not.

And when Nintendo decides not to patch this “exploit”, I guess people can finally stop calling it an “exploit”. :p

It's so neatly integrated into the game's systems that it would be a pretty huge fucking coincidence if it were unintentional. If it's patched out I'll change my av to that crying baby :D

On-screen map is good news!

good, but late. No idea how the game can itself could be that polished, yet they needed 3 months to patch menus to be on par with MK7 (or any non-rushed game, really)..

Wouldn't the built-in time trial ghosts have used it were it a known option?

The built-in time trial ghosts are meant to be rather bad so that people can beat them without much difficulties. Just look at some of them. They use mushrooms in straight lines without cutting anything (Mount Wario) instead of taking shortcuts, they charge blue mini-turbos when they could have clearly charged orange ones (Electrodrome), they take wide curves on purpose (N64 Yoshi Valley) etc. so of course they're not going to use advanced techniques.

Exentryk

Don't think they'll remove fire hopping, coz it'll mess with the game physics. Be a huge change for them, and most likely not worth it.

Nintendo actually fixing their games post release. Awesome.
Include firehopping for bikes as well instead of just karts (don't see what's wrong with a little deeper strategic gameplay), rebalance the items, and we're good.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Any word on being able to change characters and/or race setups while in-between races/GP sets online without having to exit out of the lobby completely?

The built-in time trial ghosts are meant to be rather bad so that people can beat them without much difficulties. Just look at some of them. They use mushrooms in straight lines without cutting anything (Mount Wario) instead of taking shortcuts, they charge blue mini-turbos when they could have clearly charged orange ones (Electrodrome), they take wide curves on purpose (N64 Yoshi Valley) etc. so of course they're not going to use advanced techniques.

Not all of them are terrible; what other "advanced techniques" are there that the ghosts don't use across the board?

Now they just need to allow horizontal splitting of the screen. So many of these tracks have curves that would benefit from it, especially when racing online.

Just try to race on the Electrodome or Rainbow Road with split screen and drift effectively.

Revven

SO HAPPY AND JOYFUL.

Too bad it's at the end of the month... :\

I guess they really wanted to make sure the online stability part really is an improvement.

Kriken

Thank God for the "Next match" being the new default, didn't really care for watching highlights if I was mashing A to get to the next race

jnWake

I don't think I understand the menu gp change thing everyone's yelling praise over.

Answer me this: is whatever they're updating going to change how fucking long it takes to end one race and get into the next when you're online with a group or in a tournament?

The loading, and then the slow track selection process, and then the little slot roulette as all the dumb Miis stare up at which track it lands on, and then the slow ass load for the track itself....I just want to get into the next race and go instead of losing 3-5 mins between races.

Lol how impatient can you be? It takes like a minute at most between races. When racing in GAFcc I always try to post between races and can't manage it because time between races is short.

Exentryk

Not all of them are terrible; what other "advanced techniques" are there that the ghosts don't use across the board?

The ghosts in game are more of a demonstration of the track. This is evident by them taking 3 different routes in 3 laps, to basically show the various options possible. One of the path they'll take is usually the shortcut.

The prima guide actually has staff expert times. These can be seen here, and are actually decent times - http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Kart_8 (Scroll to Kart of Champions)

I don't want my online W-L record :/

TBH the game is so crazy, I always feel okay just finishing top 3, sometimes even top 5 or 6. I think it would really take something away from that to reduce it to wins.

Oh man, they're actually adding stuff based on comments and criticisms. I like this new DLC-possible Nintendo!

Character DLC next please.

Josh7289

YES holy crap Nintendo games with updates are awesome. They're fixing my biggest issues with the game (besides the battle mode). I'm excited.

Recall

Good. Map should be on screen.

Fix crap tier battle mode next.

Who needs a map? You play a stage a couple of times and basic observation and awareness is more than enough. And not knowing who is up on on your tail just adds to the suspense :D

Bullza2o

My online experience was already great, although I did hear about some problems with it. Good to see this patch coming.

Sounds like a great patch, kinda sucks that it's still way at the end of the month, but that's OK.. Hopefully next we get an improved battle mode with actual battle arena stages sometime this fall, even if it ends up being paid DLC.

Dr Prob

Banned
I don't want my online W-L record :/

TBH the game is so crazy, I always feel okay just finishing top 3, sometimes even top 5 or 6. I think it would really take something away from that to reduce it to wins.

The last two games would give you a win for every every person you finish in front of and a loss for everyone who finishes ahead of you. So if you placed first in a twelve person room, you'd be 11-0 for that race. Finish sixth: 6-5, last: 0-11. It wasn't a matter of first place or bust, and I assume that wouldn't change. Your record might turn out better than you think!

Fix the fucking item balance, some punk can hold on to a green shell all day while 2nd place is a bigger risk than being in first. Most races feel like the race for second because it is far more likely to get hit in second by the shitstorm following you while first place can hold on to a banana all day while the most he has to worry about is a single red shell which has a more than 50% chance of being blocked anyway so you're stuck sitting in second, praying for a blue shell while you get coins and bananas every row of item boxes. It is dumb.

Fix the fucking item balance, some punk can hold on to a green shell all day while 2nd place is a bigger risk than being in first. Most races feel like the race for second because it is far more likely to get hit in second by the shitstorm following you while first place can hold on to a banana all day while the most he has to worry about is a single red shell which has a more than 50% chance of being blocked anyway so you're stuck sitting in second, praying for a blue shell while you get coins and bananas every row of item boxes. It is dumb.

This is a result of everyone complaining the blue shell was overpowered. So they nerfed the blue shell in power and frequency, and hopefully now people understand why it was the way it was.

BlackJace

I think Nintendo knows this is their flagship game, and will do everything possible to sustain it until Smash.

Good that it seems to be solving issues people have.

AdanVC

Sounds like a great patch, kinda sucks that it's still way at the end of the month, but that's OK.. Hopefully next we get an improved battle mode with actual battle arena stages sometime this fall, even if it ends up being paid DLC.

That would come eventually for sure. MK8 is confirmed to support Amiibo figures so I'm plenty sure they will come offering some kind of DLC as well. Either new characters, true battle arenas or even new tracks!

Top Bottom