• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Where WAS His Money, Honey?

Pics_nao

Finished it yesterday morning.

Shades was so fucking good, holy shit. Did not expect the twist in episode 8 with Cornell. Overall, it was better than DD S2 post Punisher episodes. Wish we got to see Luke actually try a bit more in fights though.

The Light

Everyone realizing they messed up following this dude is part of the reason I like Diamondback. Shades questioning Diamondback plan with the hostages is gold.
Diamondback was an Arrow villain trapped in a Marvel show.
Just realized Diamondback being over the top reminds me of The Count in Arrow season 1. He also has some Deathstroke in him as far as motivation is concerned. However he was far more entertaining than any Arrow bad guy.

However he was far more entertaining than any Arrow bad guy.

Luke-Cage-Diamondback.jpg

Hammer definitely outsourced that suit's design to Vancouver.

kunonabi

Now this I cannot deny. Just terrible

They really should have just given him some knives and one of his usual suits just outfitted with the Alien material from the Judas bullets. But I guess the whole boxing angle was more important than not having Diamondback look like a complete goober.

MRORANGE

Managed to finish it yesterday. Overall I am pleasantly pleased with it. it's a show that is able to differentiate itself from DD and JJ with it's own blend. The portrayal of Luke Cage is amazing as well as the side characters who live in Harlem actually make it more life like compared to other marvel series, the mini background conversations such as the barber shop and other places are just gold. Major applause to the the soundtrack as well from Ol' Dirty Bastard to Sharon Jones it's all there. My only gripe is probably the lacklustre last episode, but overall a well polished yet gritty entry into the Marvel Netflix series that has a promising future.

Bring on season 2!

giphy.gif

It was refreshing to see a Netflix bad guy that was just an asshole. Purple Man touched on this, but even he came off as more pathetic towards the end. Diamondback was just fuuuull of psychosis.

Diamondback got much better as the show went along. But the juxtaposition of him and the realistic Cottonmouth was jarring as fuck.

Either go all the way one way or the other.

Give Shades and Comache their dumb ass powers and make it a full metabrawl in Harlem I say

tauroxd

Surprises no one here talked abou the The Legend Of Zelda t-shirt Sugar had (I think it was him) in the scene where Cottonmouth kills the guy that talks about the book he read.

And Shade and Mariah were awesome especially Mariah because that was some fine acting, we had too little of Cottonmouth Dalton and I learned to like Diamondback, especially because of Boardwalk Empire.

rtcn63

Diamondback got much better as the show went along. But the juxtaposition of him and the realistic Cottonmouth was jarring as fuck.

Either go all the way one way or the other.

Give Shades and Comache their dumb ass powers and make it a full metabrawl in Harlem I say

It actually reminds me a lot of the noir anime Gungrave which had a complete tonal shift by the end, but it could be excused because it was trying to be loyal to the source material- an action-oriented video game. Luke Cage... I dunno.

Chase17

I'm through episode 11. This show has really taken a nose dive after cottonmouth's death. Probably more so than any of the other Marvel netflix shows.

Hopefully last two episodes redeem the latter half of the series.

Surprises no one here talked abou the The Legend Of Zelda t-shirt Sugar had (I think it was him) in the scene where Cottonmouth kills the guy that talks about the book he read.

And Shade and Mariah were awesome especially Mariah because tha was some fine acting, we had too little of Cottonmouth Dalton and I learned to like Diamondback, especially because of Boardwalk Empire.

Just finished the show up today, and I couldn't agree more. I really disliked her character and everything she was about, but that was mostly because Alfre did a standout job in the roll. That was a really good job with the casting.

Overall, I enjoyed the show immensely. I couldn't say if I liked it more or less than the other Marvel shows, but it does certainly hold it's own. I was sold when I heard Raphael Saadiq in that first episode. And then they go on and throw in The Delfonics and Sharon Jones with the Dap Kings? Yeah, I was stoked. A soundtrack that's right up my alley.

SliChillax

Luke better punch Mariah til her skull becomes liquid in season 2. Also wtf at diamondbacks final costume? Felt like he belonged in a 70s superhero show.

dlauv

Shades might be the most toothless villain I've ever seen get a bunch of praise. He's so goofy. Maybe that's his appeal?

Black Mariah and Cottonmouth were really good although Cottonmouth annoyingly devolved into laughing at everything for a couple episodes. I don't know what to think of Diamondback, but I think I'm leaning towards liking him. He makes it feel like you're watching a '70s action movie villain.

It took a while for me to warm up to Luke himself. Everything he did seemed so socially awkward and I wasn't sure if it was the acting or not, but I eventually got over it.

Music is so good. Like god damn.

This hasn't quite captured me the same way that Daredevil season 1 did, but it's far fresher than anything since outside of Tennant's Purple Man.

Edit: Why is Jessica Jones getting a season 2? Who are they going to bring back? Nuke?

Diamondback's costume was godawful and I think Daredevil has a great costume. All in all, while I enjoyed the show, the lack of action and meh ending definitely ruined the overall experience for me. I felt that both Daredevil seasons ended better while still teasing us for more.

I don't think Luke Cage needs a season 2 however. They can easily tie the ending into The Defenders and have him as a regular in Jessica Jones season 2 and Daredevil season 3. I just don't feel like they gave us a good enough case for there to be a season 2 even with Diamondback and Mariah being around, but then again I felt the same way with Jessica Jones. I feel like having one of them is enough, due to my personal opinion of there being a lack of serious material.

All I can think of while watching these shows is how they will never be mentioned in the movies however. Not even a name drop. Daredevil at least deserves that.

I don't think it

Just finished it.
I was expecting them to wrap it nicely in a neat package, but they left cliffhangers. Shades and Mariah are still operating, Luke is being hauled off to Georgia, the doctor who gave Luke his powers is treating Diamondback, and the man at the barber shop found the files to prove his innocence. Ahhh, it bugs me. I guess they'll wrap up the ties in Defenders.

Finished the show today. Liked the show. Surprised how much it was filmed on Washington heights. Funnily it was my girlfriend that recognized Connie's restaurant as the restaurant that is close to my apt. Then I remember that there was filming being done there early in the year, and I walked by and didn't ask.

Another funny this is how bad the show was with cell phones. There were a few scenes in which people where having phone calls with the lock screens.

Jessica Jones is equally bad with this lol

When Misty got shot in the arm and Claire said she could possibly lose it I was getting excited, but then bitch's arm was okay and I was mad disappointed.

Finished it this morning. I enjoyed it. Did I enjoy it as much as Daredevil? I don't know yet and that's mainly because I didn't get any exposure to these character's when I was younger.

What were the Judas bullets made out of? Chitauri tech? It's not vibranium since they said it was Alien tech.

I honestly didn't expect Cottonmouth to get killed and by the hands of Mariah (who is a great actress!). Speaking of Mariah, man.... I really cannot wait until she get's got lol.

ezekial45

Banned
I know it was highly acclaimed but I always felt like Boardwalk Empire took a back seat to Breaking Bad. I feel it it deserved more talk than it had.

Yeah, it started off strong in the ratings but it definitely petered out over the years. It just never quite took off in the way it should have. Plus, we got a truncated final season which didn't really satisfy things in the way it should have.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
just wrapped the series up

loved it EXCEPT for teasing the loss of Misty's arm

just... why even bring it up

Dork94

Neo Member
Note: This is the first show I'm watching since having just watched The Wire, so maybe view this through the lens of that.

Finished it yesterday and can pretty comfortably say that I hated it. Boring, plodding, overacted, sloppily written, poorly edited and cinematographically stale and filled with one-dimensional one note characters who are dropped too quickly to become interesting or overstay their welcome and are never fleshed out properly. I found Mariah, Misty and especially Diamondback to be putting in distractingly poor over the top performances and dreaded when the show would decide to switch focus from interesting characters to go back to them. Shades did nothing other than saunter around, whisper and take his sunglasses on and off about 40 times an episode. This may all be an influence of the Blaxploitation genre, but if it is, I can certainly say it didn't resonate with me!

The show also couldn't decide what it wanted characters to be: Diamondback went from unseen mastermind to chaotic gun-slinging madman to evil secret brother to scheming mob boss within the space of about 2 episodes and just kept flip-flopping around without any of it feeling natural for the character. Even where there was a more even character progression it felt forced, noticeable with Mariah.

The second biggest problem for me is that the writers just seem to have written whatever they wanted without establishing any kind of logic or continuity: Where did Hammer seem to get a continuous, unlimited source of the alien metal in the Judas bullets? Why did they make a point of saying they only had 1 Judas bullet left and then somehow have enough to melt down and supply the police department with? Am I really supposed to believe that the police would ignore Stryker hunting a man on a NYC street in broad daylight with a very large gun, or having a dozen witnesses say that he held them hostage? What did Stryker frame Luke for doing that put him into Seagate? Why was everything important about Stryker's character apparently decided on being unimportant enough to be left unsaid or offscreen? How did Stryker's goons fail to find Luke, Misty and Claire in the basement once the one she pushed down the stairs woke up, seeing as Luke punched a giant hole in the wall in the exact place she told the goons she was going?

I have so many more questions like this, but at this point they feel useless to keep asking. Now you might say "go look this stuff up, it was all explained in the comics", but is it really my responsibility as a viewer of a tv show to have to read the background material to be able to ignore blatantly sloppy writing? Daredevil S1 and Jessica Jones didn't have that problem - it was rare I found myself asking anything. Jessica Jones also seemed to better understand the usefulness of a good villain: Kilgrave was arguably the most interesting character in JJ and until his stupid, hammy, overacted surprise death, Cottonmouth was the most interesting, fleshed out and well-developed character in LC. Stryker by comparison was stupid, unconvincing and clashed entirely with the tone of the show they set up in the first 8 episodes.

But the biggest problem is that I feel like this show just didn't know what it wanted to be. They tried to play it straight with what a modern audience apparently considers ~gripping police drama~ and a more subtle, nuanced take on Luke Cage's character and then thrust those more realistic concepts into a Blaxploitation nightmare filled with over the top villains, magic MacGuffins and a bizarrely unfitting retro style soundtrack that only served to weaken any dramatic moments the show somehow managed to dig back out of the dumpster.

I'm not saying there weren't some positives. Mike Colter is as great as Luke Cage in this as he was in JJ - a more subtle look at what an invincible black superhero can be in 2016. Cottonmouth was interesting to watch and the way they pulled you into his backstory was great. Rosario Dawson continues to put in good work as Claire and regularly steals scenes. But that's not enough to justify 13 hours of my life!

Also WE GET IT, HE'S BULLETPROOF. YOU DON'T NEED TO HAVE THE SAME GAG OF CLUELESS MORONS EMPTYING CLIPS INTO HIM EVERY EPISODE. Did their squib supplier need a new beach house or something?

But apparently everyone writing reviews loved it, so maybe I'm just crazy.

Magwik

Banned
I only appreciate Diamondback because they realistically couldn't draw out Cottonmouth for an entire season. I would have preferred Shades and Mariah to take over the spotlight but Luke could have dealt with them just as easily. Diamondback was still the worst though

Dork94

Neo Member
I only appreciate Diamondback because they realistically couldn't draw out Cottonmouth for an entire season. I would have preferred Shades and Mariah to take over the spotlight but Luke could have dealt with them just as easily. Diamondback was still the worst though

Maybe they shouldn't have made him the villain in the first place then..

Vic_Viper

Really hope the second season for Cage is a combined Power Man & Iron Fist show. Cage cannot carry an entire show on his own after this first season. He really needs someone to work with like how Daredevil season 2 was him and Elektra. If anything DD season 2 felt too crowded with the Punisher. Id almost rather see that show than another JJ season tbh. The show really felt lacking after the halfway mark, especially after Cottonmouth died. Hope this doesnt carry forward into the Iron Fist show because im really looking forward to that show the most right now after DD and the Defenders.

Shades was my favorite character of the season and really want to see what he does next.

dlauv

Halfway through episode 12. Shades won me over.

I want to say you're not wrong. Every critique is pretty spot on. I think the reason it's played straight and that some of the overacting is done is to be tongue-in-cheek, accentuated and reinforced by the soundtrack. I don't think it's anything to take very seriously; it's super pulpy melodrama that keeps itself from being overwrought by being ostensibly playful: it's all in good fun (maybe!). This doesn't negate your critique, but it perhaps explains why it's palatable to others. I feel like some scenes were meant to chew the scenery in a Shaft-esque way, but the actors didn't have the chops for it, particularly Colter. Scarfe, Cottonmouth, Diamondback, Shades, Pops, and Black Mariah all seemed to know what was going on.

I didn't think Jessica Jones was very good. Purple Man got on the loose too many times and my brain forgot to tell its lungs to breathe.

Magwik

Banned
Really hope the second season for Cage is a combined Power Man & Iron Fist show. Cage cannot carry an entire show on his own after this first season. He really needs someone to work with like how Daredevil season 2 was him and Elektra. If anything DD season 2 felt too crowded with the Punisher. Id almost rather see that show than another JJ season tbh. The show really felt lacking after the halfway mark, especially after Cottonmouth died. Hope this doesnt carry forward into the Iron Fist show because im really looking forward to that show the most right now after DD and the Defenders.

Shades was my favorite character of the season and really want to see what he does next.
Elektra ruinied DD S2 tho

Top Bottom