• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Where WAS His Money, Honey?

Actually, it's the costume he wears in the comics:

qPKUpdm.png

So the costume sucks in the source material and in live action.

AMUSIX

Like others, I felt the series took a drop when Cottonmouth died. However, I think Black Mariah slowly climbed up to being a suitable villain by the end, and if she were the main baddie in a second season, I wouldn't complain.

Loved a lot of the style of the show, the music was fantastic, the whole 'soak in the city' feel worked beautifully. The dialogue was best when it was at its cheeziest...hell, when Diamondback showed up with "CAN YOU DIG IT?" I thought he was going to be great. The secret brother story ended up being pretty weak. They REALLY should have planted those seeds much earlier. We should have been introduced to Cage's childhood early, in the first few episodes. Gotten to know Willis a little, maybe even hinted at the indiscretion between Rev. Lucas and Willis' mother. Then, when DB says "I AM your brother!" it would carry some weight.

And they shouldn't have made Diamondback feel higher than Cottonmouth early on. Instead, DB should have shown up as a vengeful psychopath filling the void that Cottonmouth's death makes. In Ep 4 or 5, just have little hints of a crazy motherfucker showing up in Harlem on some fucked up personal crusade. Then, when Cottonmouth dies, he takes temporary power by killing all the bosses and the low-level thugs following him out of fear and uncertainty. Only when Mariah comes into her own and starts to take control at the end, does he fall.

Seems like they were sort of going for that, but failed by making Diamondback a boss early, and, really, not laying the groundwork for the big family reveal.

Shades was awesome, as was Misty.

Jobbs

Banned
Elektra ruinied DD S2 tho

I loved S2 and Elektra. DD S2 was pretty much perfect. First we had all kinds of fun punisher stuff, then we switch it up and have all kinds of fun ninja fighting. Can't even compare the fun of DD to the boring snore of Luke Cage. LC had flashes of life in some episodes but ultimately the lack of charisma and acting ability of the main character was its downfall

What was up with the flashback in the last episode? I get that a person is usually going to look drastically different as a child than as an adult, but they aren't going to look like a completely different person, and have a different voice as well as height between the ages of around 17 to 30. Young Carl looked nothing like the older version, and his voice and height were totally off. I guess they were supposed to be maybe fifteen or something in the flashback, but they looked closer to twenty.

Not a single villain on this show was compelling in the slightest. Cornell had zero gravitas, and displayed exactly two emotions the entire time: hubris and rage, and his fake, forced laugh was completely annoying.

The actor that played Wilis (*cough* William) Stryker acts the same in every role, and is also always annoying to watch. That stupid fight in the trash man outfit in the last episode didn't help much either.

Shades had zero presence at all, and was pointless on this show. The character might have worked if they had actually used a more fitting actor for the role, but "Juice" was just awful.

Mariah was the only villainous character that came close to being interesting. That was soley on the strength of the acting though, not the script.

Your analysis of the villains is just wrong man. Shades had zero presence? That's all Shades is!

Loved it. Such a good fucking cast. I don't think there was a weak episode like there were in the other Marvel shows. Just a very solid entertaining watch.

I really hated the ending though. Giving the villain the exact same abilities as the hero is just so easy. I've seen it too many times.
Villains who quote bible passages is also a pet peeve of mine.
And protagonists and antagonists discovering they're related halfway through the show isn't a pet peeve, but it's close. Not a fan.

There's also something off about Shades. His actor is way too goofy looking to take seriously, then he doubles down and wears sunglasses indoors and at night and it just doesn't matter what he does. I could never take him seriously.

Other than that, it was awesome.

My biggest problem with the show is it feels like there's a lot of plot holes.

1. Why does Misty never show the FACIAL RECOGNITION scan to her superiors? Luke never even needed to go through all that when Misty could've exonerated him right there.

2. Why is it the police are so set on arresting Luke when literally everyone coming out of that club is saying he's innocent and saved everyone?

3. Why is it two different gun shot wounds meant taking out only 3 pieces of metal? Claire even said it exploded in his skin and there were fragments. How does that equal 2 pieces of metal?

4. How the fuck does Luke not know Willis is his brother? Come on now.

Theres other stuff but it just felt too loose at times.

Other than that the show is great. I loved literally everything else. The music, the acting, everything. Except Diamondback and their conflict at the end.

Shades is the truth. Cornell was a fucking king.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Cornell should've lived. Best marvel villain since kingpin.

Diamondback should've been played by Dave Chapelle, the way he was going around "I'm Luke Cage.", Dave did it better with Rick James.

Diamondback was weak, not ham enough to be full ham, not good enough to be serious, now it's just bad.

Shades was good, but I cannot unsee weak little Juice

Misty, Clair, Luke and all the supporting characters on the hero side were all great.

Clair kept pushing she knows a great lawyer a bit too much

Mariah was great, a constant threat in the background pulling strings. At one point I thought they were going to reveal her to be diamondback.

Great ending too. Villain won, hero is locked up, but enough threads to pick up in a next season.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Finished just a little bit ago. Really liked it, alot more than Jessica Jones. I don't think the show ever hit the highs JJ was able to, but it also stayed far away from the lows. Luke Cage felt more consistent, and its subplots felt infinitely more relevant to what was going on.

-Diamondback was fun in little instances, but otherwise, he just got annoying. His suit was also so laughable.

-I did appreciate how the finale ended him after about 20 minutes or so, but then got plenty of time to act as epilogue for the season.

-Misty was easily the powerhouse character of a show that was already largely so fucking wonderfully cast. Kudos to Simone

-Cottonmouth's death was a cool surprise, but there really was a loss of energy after his departure.

-Mariah was a character you just loved to hate. A great puppetmaster in her own right. Shades as well.

-Rosario Dawson is still a highlight every time she shows up. She fucking rocks it as Claire, and I loved how much she stepped up this time around. Her beating the fuck out of the purse snatcher was satisfying as hell.

-Luke played stoic-yet-detached for too long, I felt. I wish he'd stepped up sooner. The montage of him going around, being a Hero-for-Hire was alot of fun.

-I got a good chuckle at Method Man's cameo.

-the constant teasing of Misty's arm just had me constantly going "you fuckers..."

-the soundtrack was solid, but the need to constantly cut to a band playing, then to Cottonmouth or whoever, or to an action scene. It just started feeling so overused as the show went on.

Elektra ruinied DD S2 tho

Fuck no.

Just finished the show....

Love the show alot, and loved all the hiphop references....

Theres alot to talk about really, but I gotta bring up something, which probably got brought up already, but It's really pissing me off cause I literally just finished it.

The plot hole with Misty's phone is really annoying.

Let's be real, theres no way she was carrying around a phone that had no lock code on it. And there's no way Shades just figured out her code before the phone got wiped.
That's just lazy writing.

LakeEarth

Like most of the Netflix Marvel shows, I liked the first half better than the second half. They always have a tight 6 episodes planned out to be given to the reviewers, but then the rest of it is usually stretched out and lead to an unsatisfying finale.

And I really got annoyed at repeatedly hearing Rosario Dawson go "I know some good lawyers!" a bunch of times, just for none of the Murdock crew to show up.

Now I'm off to have a cool, refreshing can of Country Time Lemonade... mmm, worth losing my mother over...

Flip4k

Let's be real, theres no way she was carrying around a phone that had no lock code on it. And there's no way Shades just figured out her code before the phone got wiped.

I thought this was pretty ridiculous too.

KarmaCow

I thought this was pretty ridiculous too.

Eh, considering in that same episode a guy with almost impenetrable skin was fighting his half brother who was wearing a suit powered by punches, I can buy that Shades had something that could crack a 4 digit lock code. It wasn't like he found the phone on the street, he knew it was Misty's and that it surely had all sorts of sensitive information.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Just finished the show....

Love the show alot, and loved all the hiphop references....

Theres alot to talk about really, but I gotta bring up something, which probably got brought up already, but It's really pissing me off cause I literally just finished it.

I just figured he cloned the simcard and used the cloned phone to text Candace.

Alienous

One thing that bothered me was the police officer who beat up that lawyer-in-training's son.

They just have a random character do that. No prior indication that this is a dude with issues, or that he's on someone's payroll (none that I could see, at least). The just seemed like bad storytelling.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
One thing that bothered me was the police officer who beat up that lawyer-in-training's son.

They just have a random character do that. No prior indication that this is a dude with issues, or that he's on someone's payroll (none that I could see, at least). The just seemed like bad storytelling.

Cops were on a frantic search for Cage, the whole "you kill a cop in Harlem, heads will roll" was playing out before, you could see cops crossing lines to find a sliver of a clue that would help them find the copkiller Cage, and now they have this kid who knows who Cage is and where to find him and he won't talk. The cop snapping and turning violent on the kid made perfect sense, without establishing the individual cop first. Any one of those cops in that precinct would've done the same.

Alienous

Cops were on a frantic search for Cage, the whole "you kill a cop in Harlem, heads will roll" was playing out before, you could see cops crossing lines to find a sliver of a clue that would help them find the copkiller Cage, and now they have this kid who knows who Cage is and where to find him and he won't talk. The cop snapping and turning violent on the kid made perfect sense, without establishing the individual cop first. Any one of those cops in that precinct would've done the same.

Rough up a kid? I don't think so. That takes a cop with anger problems.

Finished.

My only issue was the pacing, I think this could have been lot better with 10 episodes. A lot of the later Misty and Maria, scenes were boring and felt like padding.

Otherwise, amazing what these guys put out.

Luke has more chemistry with Misty and Claire than Jessica.

Yeah, and that's my issue. I want to see Luke and Jessica together but I enjoyed watching him pair up with these two a lot more.

I feel like these two honestly didn't get enough time together in JJ season 1 anyway. It feels like in LC they pushed for Luke and Claire more even tho from what I seen in the comic books Luke and JJ end up right?

Brakke

Banned

Ehh "The Department" was a character at that point. There was also that Bronx dude begging the cap to green light him to knock heads, I thought that was the setup for the beat down. Treating the department as "Misty and then Everyone Else" was kinda lame but here we are.

kami_sama

Cornell should've lived. Best marvel villain since kingpin.

Diamondback should've been played by Dave Chapelle, the way he was going around "I'm Luke Cage.", Dave did it better with Rick James.

Diamondback was weak, not ham enough to be full ham, not good enough to be serious, now it's just bad.

Shades was good, but I cannot unsee weak little Juice

Misty, Clair, Luke and all the supporting characters on the hero side were all great.

Clair kept pushing she knows a great lawyer a bit too much

Mariah was great, a constant threat in the background pulling strings. At one point I thought they were going to reveal her to be diamondback.

Great ending too. Villain won, hero is locked up, but enough threads to pick up in a next season.

Very much yes to the bolded. I thought he was great.
Shades was a strange character. He was threatening, but in a weird way.

Finished last night. Thoughts:

I thought it was good overall, but I'm not sure either the character or actor playing him can carry another season. Going forward asides from the Defenders, he should be a regular on JJ season 2, or make a few cameos in DD season 3.

As mentioned, Cottonmouth, Alfre Woodard( this woman I swear hasn't aged in 20 years), were great, truly 'hated' their characters and played off Cage well. Shades was played well, though I'm not sure if I was convinced visually by the actor portraying him. Diamondback was corny as fucks, visually summed up perfectly by that Power rangers reject suit and the final fight scene. I didn't make it all the way through JJ( maybe I should finish it, but I lost interest halfway through), but I'm surprised she didn't make an appearance here. I'm guessing something happened in her show making a cameo here improbable/impossible?

Finished last night. Thoughts:

I thought it was good overall, but I'm not sure either the character or actor playing him can carry another season. Going forward asides from the Defenders, he should be a regular on JJ season 2, or make a few cameos in DD season 3.
Both this and Iron Fist should totally lead into their teamup series for future seasons.

Finished. If Iron Fist can't win me over, then I'm done with Netflix marvel shows.
Luke Cage started reasonably well with establishing the concept, style, tone and sound. Then pretty much threw it out all out after Cottonmouth got killed off. Even with a new villain thrown into the mix, the show felt overly padded.

For every strength the show excelled at, there were at least 2 flaws. Another dud in my book.

My favourite moment in the show was spotting a sign at Black Mariana rally "The only super freak we like is Rick James".

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Worst of the Marvel Netflix shows so far due to just how fucking directionless it was. Should have been 7 episodes as story content was half of the 13. Girlfriend commented "this show feels like it has all those "i can see why this was cut" deleted scenes left in".

It's a shame because at very few times it achieves being this cool black show based around community (the hoodie support is the one point of the show where it executes perfectly but then divebombs with "WHO'D EXPECT A BLACK GUY IN A HOODIE TO BE A SUPERHERO" line), but its heavy handed-ness and just straight up obnoxious writing drags it down to at times feeling unwatchable. You can tell it was made by a hip hop documentary guy that doesn't know how to mix up and write a TV show.

- Drinking game: Take a shot every time a character randomly spouts 3 Black People Of Importance like a goddam Wikipedia bot. Writing!
- Every time they use a band or singer on that stage and try to make them come across as amazing and soulful, I'm thinking about how they're totally okay taking drug and guns money. Absurdly over-used motif.
- Diamondback as a character making no sense whatsoever due to flashbacks depicting him as an alright lad. We're expected to believe he went absolutely insane in prison years, then also slipped the system and got into running experimental super guns? Also why he isn't doing any of this shit to Cage's Dad first.
- Times is tough in America no doubt, but having every single white character/cop in the show be an adversary is not exactly a great idea.
- Luke Cage is a boring mouthpiece. He spends the entire season being a totally middle road character, and has 2 great speeches that come out of his mouth like a paranormal possession event its so obviously not the character speaking. His motivations make no sense throughout going from wanting to keep the peace to deliberately antagonising Cottonmouth, ensuring the Barber Shop becomes a target, and just spending most of the show trying to avoid the plot.
- Past, present whiplash. Flashback episodes that feature 20 seconds of sudden future content and then right back into it. Total misuse of cold opens and full circle where the episode he's standing outside Crispus Attucks takes us back into the present and then the next episode we GO BACKWARDS IN TIME AGAIN and the scene no longer fits in with what happens. Dreadful amateur level show writing and composition that almost made me quit the show right there it was embarrassing.
- I have no idea where they were going with Misty Knight's character arc other than the usual "system is broken". Her mid-season freakout at Claire made absolutely no sense and I thought for the whole episode she did it on purpose to get her out of there quicker to help Luke. But the reveal never came. Bad bad bad.
-Contractually obliged "Sweet Christmas" line delivery feeling about as forced as the "hur hur, look how dumb his original costume was!" scene.

I think the problem with this incarnation of Luke Cage is them trying to make him a boy scout in some ways, but also keep him involved with gangs and prison stuff. Explaining how he went from a marine to a sheriff and then not even showing how he was framed was absolutely bizarre. The actor may also just not be good enough and charismatic to play the role of a total extrovert from the comics who's origins were unashamedly from gangs and becoming a "hero for hire". The show never wanting to achieve his role as the original Hero For Hire is a flaw in writing PoC but never wanting to do anything that could be deemed "negative". This also see's every PoC villain get a traumatic past and point to why they are the way they are while characters like the Prison Warden are 'cartoon evil'.

Oh and having so many Wire actors jammed in just made the bed for just skipping this show and watching The Wire all over again rather than put up with 13 x amateur hours.

Finished. If Iron Fist can't win me over, then I'm done with Netflix marvel shows.
Luke Cage started reasonably well with establishing the concept, style, tone and sound. Then pretty much threw it out all out after Cottonmouth got killed off. Even with a new villain thrown into the mix, the show felt overly padded.

For every strength the show excelled at, there were at least 2 flaws. Another dud in my book.

My favourite moment in the show was spotting a sign at Black Mariana rally "The only super freak we like is Rick James".
You'll be missed.

LakeEarth

She was made to look incompetent many times. If I lost my phone in a shootout with my mortal enemies, I'd probably think that a missing cellphone would be worthy of some thought. Instead she went "herp derp, lost my phone, oh well!" and went about her incompetent policing ways.

They really should've just said that Shades cloned her phone with some device when he was near her, or something. I'd be okay with them not even explaining it, Shades faked her number somehow, whatever.

darklin0

Banned
GOD DAMN IT!!!!! In the middle of Ep 10. If you are gonna destroy a computer make sure the HDD is destroyed!!!!!
I knew the second he put the flash drive in his PC that this was gonna happen.

Maybe one day someone will think of breaking the HDD. Some day.

GOD DAMN IT!!!!! In the middle of Ep 10. If you are gonna destroy a computer make sure the HDD is destroyed!!!!!

honestly cant believe the dude was army and police, no wonder they set up his sorry ass. i mean, if he wasnt going to crush that shit he had a freaking pool of acid by his side

Eidan

My biggest problem with the show is it feels like there's a lot of plot holes.

1. Why does Misty never show the FACIAL RECOGNITION scan to her superiors? Luke never even needed to go through all that when Misty could've exonerated him right there.

2. Why is it the police are so set on arresting Luke when literally everyone coming out of that club is saying he's innocent and saved everyone?

3. Why is it two different gun shot wounds meant taking out only 3 pieces of metal? Claire even said it exploded in his skin and there were fragments. How does that equal 2 pieces of metal?

4. How the fuck does Luke not know Willis is his brother? Come on now.

Theres other stuff but it just felt too loose at times.

Other than that the show is great. I loved literally everything else. The music, the acting, everything. Except Diamondback and their conflict at the end.

Shades is the truth. Cornell was a fucking king.

We're going to have to make a thread discussing the difference between plot holes, plot contrivances, and "things I don't like".

Something I haven't seen much discussion about was the whole Reva situation/reveal. I think it was kind of bold to reveal she was in on the whole experiment thing from the beginning and was playing him the whole time (at least up until he escaped). It's pretty messed up considering how much they played her up as this perfect thing he'll never have again since JJ. You guys think there's more to that story that they'll get in to later? Also I'm curious how that all tied back in to Purple Man. Like how did he find out about that stuff and her? What exactly was he trying to get from the hard drive? I guess he wanted to amplify his powers? Or maybe make another JJ? How do you guys feel about the whole Reva situation in general?

I just figured he cloned the simcard and used the cloned phone to text Candace.

edit: rewatched it. The guy said he thought that they might have cloned her phone but they didn't. Secondly, If he cloned her number, that's one thing. But how would he know who the chick's number is? that's tied to the phone. Which he couldn't get into.

Eh, considering in that same episode a guy with almost impenetrable skin was fighting his half brother who was wearing a suit powered by punches, I can buy that Shades had something that could crack a 4 digit lock code. It wasn't like he found the phone on the street, he knew it was Misty's and that it surely had all sorts of sensitive information.

naw, there's explanations for the super powers. there isn't an explanation for them "Cracking a 4 digit lock code" we ALL know you can't crack it unless you get lucky as shit cause after a certain amount of attempts, it wipes the data. That part was poor writing. that's just what it is. This show gets compared to the wire as "The Marvel's the Wire" which I agree with...but this kind of stuff in the show is what separates it from The Wire.

She was made to look incompetent many times. If I lost my phone in a shootout with my mortal enemies, I'd probably think that a missing cellphone would be worthy of some thought. Instead she went "herp derp, lost my phone, oh well!" and went about her incompetent policing ways.

They really should've just said that Shades cloned her phone with some device when he was near her, or something. I'd be okay with them not even explaining it, Shades faked her number somehow, whatever.

see my response to the first quote. It's just lazy writing, that's literally just what it is.

Great show, just finished it last night. I'd put it on par with JJ, but below Daredevil S1.

Also agree that DD S2 was ruined by the garbage ninja plot.

Oh and having so many Wire actors jammed in just made the bed for just skipping this show and watching The Wire all over again rather than put up with 13 x amateur hours.

I think that's my problem with the show is that it's trying to convey some of the same themes as the Wire while being a comic book show and it falters at both. There are too many lectures about power, blackness, and society that it starts to cannibalize any potential fun parts of the show and drags the pacing down. Of course that Wire angle gets dropped when Diamondback shows up.

And Luke really does feel like a passive character compared to everyone else. It never feels like he achieves anything when he walks into a place and fucks people up, aside from Cripsus Attucks which severely crippled Cottonmouth's operation. There's just a lack of catharsis or "fuck yeah he had it coming!" when Luke takes out a room of people. There's a a few hero moments for him in the show, but for some reason they don't feel like hero moments. Also felt a lack of any setpiece moments or really cool fights.

The old coffee on keyboard/shoot the monitor trick would have been more effective than what Luke did.

Top Bottom