• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmithnCo

Jeez the Hulk stuff sounds fantastic. I actually liked Incredible but this seems like it blows it way out of the water in terms of Hulk action.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It make sense that Hulk would only achieve his full potential in a team film. As a mindless force of nature, he's interesting but only for a while. Plots focused on capturing him can sustain a Hulk movie, but not one that gets the most out of the monster because his beating the hell out of everyone quickly grows repetitious and loses effectiveness. With just a little agency, however, Hulk becomes a superhero, and Hulk as a superhero is a whole different beast. Watching him use his strength in ways that require not only thought but limited emotion on this level pretty much negates even Ang Lee's film (much as I like it) because why would you ever want to go back? Bane will probably prove plenty interesting later this summer, but I'm putting The Hulk down now as mainstream character of the year.

MUfad.gif

Duki

Banned
Every Marvel movie has suffered from a lacklusting "final battle" which ends up being not very epic. They were all better movies in the first act establishing who they are as people.

mm, agreed. the avengers actually comes the closest to side stepping this, but it doesnt quite get there. the thrill of seeing all these guys finally work together in the final 20 minutes or so makes up for how little you give a shit about the bad guys. and i mean, the scale here is much, much greater than something like in captain america, so its way more fun.

the way the last battle is handled... i actually like it more and more the more i think about it. like... this isnt exactly a plot spoiler or anything, but if you want to be surprised by who gets the most love in the movie and some of things in the ending battle and all that jazz dont read it.
the hulk hulking out basically ends up being the climax of the damn movie! its so good. banner and the hulk got to either say the best lines in the ending, or the best line was said about them. and through out the whole movie they make it clear how afraid everyone is of the hulk. like he is clearly the fucking man in this universe. glad they did that, i thought if anyone was going to be sidelined it was going to be him, but no he basically ends up being the centrepiece of the movie and especially its final action sequences. made me love the ending lol

although actually the article was just posted says exactly what i say above about who the man in the movie is, so maybe spoilering it is pointless

Lebron

Captain America's better as a character than a superhero, which is part of why it doesn't really matter what his costume looks like. The best compliment I can offer him is that he nears Christopher Reeve's magical ability to make being a virtuous nerd look appealing. The Avengers uses and honors the groundwork laid by his film but offers the character little forward progression. Physically, he's still the bland puncher we remember but much cooler since the action scenes are better executed. Plus, he uses the shit out of his shield.

But let's not fuck around. This is The Hulk's movie. Even if the rest of the film were mediocre, it would still be special for its Hulk. His moments aren't just great; they're absolutely rousing. That bit in the trailer where he saves Iron Man is nothing. The Hulk is why you need to see this movie as soon as you possibly can before people spoil all his big moments. He also may be the key element that keeps The Avengers from ephemera. I want to watch this movie again as soon as I possibly can, and all I'm thinking about in the meantime is The Hulk.

Knew it, movie of the summer. I'm already naked.

Solo

Can't wait for Plainview's review. If he loves it, guaranteed I hate it. If he doesn't like it, I probably will.

Thriller

Okay, I just came back and my Nerdgasm still has not gone away.
It was as if I was holding my breath during the entire movie, and I could only breathe normally when I got out of the theatre.

Action was spectacular and I do not give a flying fuck about people arguing about the villains motives because, let's be honest, we are not spending our money for those guys. I found the team in it's entirety really REALLY awesome and the humor and VFX worked out perfectly.

If you haven't seen this movie yet please do NOT read the spoilers, it is much more fun without knowing. Everybody says this movie is awesome and thus everybody is correct.

Mr Whedon, you just made my day!

Khezu

Hulk's the best part of EMH.

Seriously, if they make another hulk movie they really need to look at that as inspiration. Hulk needs to be a snarky asshole not a mindless brooding monster.

Giving him a couple good supporting characters to bounce off of and we would be golden.

Slayven

Seriously, if they make another hulk movie they really need to look at that as inspiration. Hulk needs to be a snarky asshole not a mindless brooding monster.

Giving him a couple good supporting characters to bounce off of and we would be golden.

Too bad he can't bash the Thing.

sharbhund

Avengers breaking box office records overseas:

And the hotly anticipated actioner is already shattering box office records overseas. It earned in U.S. dollar estimates of $6.0M in Australia and $1.2M in Taiwan and $700K in New Zealand for almost $8M from the three countries on Wednesday. Two of the nations, Australia and New Zealand were holidays: ANZAC Day, so that helped boost box office. Australia’s opening day is the second-highest opening of all time there behind only the final Harry Potter (A$7M). It is also the highest Marvel opening day ever, 214% ahead of Iron Man 2 (A$1.8M Thursday opening) and 136% ahead of The Dark Knight (A$2.5M Thursday opening), and the highest Disney opening day ever for a Disney film. The pic playing in Taiwan is the biggest industry Wednesday opening ever, the biggest opening day of 2012 (173% above Battleship) and the second-biggest opening day for any Marvel film (after only Spider-Man 3). In New Zealand, pic scored a higher opening than The Dark Knight and Iron Man 2.

Resilient

I never thought Whedon would be able to make an awesome Avengers movie but he did, and it was awesome, and it was awesomely awesome, stuff blew up, guys were fighting, one liners were had, it was awesome. You will say wow.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Movie was awesome. Played it safe but in the best way possible. I think the most successful thing it did was make me like the Hulk. Though I like Bana and Norton (especially Norton), I felt both were miscast for the two Hulk movies. Though, to be fair, I've never been a fan of the Hulk to begin with.

Ruffalo, however, absolutely killed it. He bought a convincing level of humanity and authenticity to the character, and the movie did an incredible job of weighing up between genius scientist with dark secrets and hulking green rage monster.

One of the better popcorn films I've seen in awhile.

Platy

They will make a Hulk movie like if it was a super hero movie .... a GOOD hulk movie must work as a Godzilla type movie =P

What would be a perfect excuse to show another marvel hero =P

edit -----------------------------

Wait .. so ... the middle credits scene was the only credits scene ?

Saw it last night. Was blown away, and I'm not even a fan of comics or Marvel.

That shot of them all standing in a circle kicking ass (from the trailer, so no spoilers) - I literally shivered.

Fuck I couldn't bring myself to predict the Box Office of this because of the international. Never seemed like world wide people were interested in the super heroes like they were with the Pirates movies etc. You think Disney is just really good at marketing?

One thing I can say, given that I waited to see the post-credits scenes all the times I went to watch both Thor and Captain America (and it's more than I'd be willing to admit), literally everyone stayed to see it, and people cheered the Avengers trailer on Captain America which is something I have rarely seen here. People have been looking forward to this movie for a very long time.

Thor was fairly succesful overseas, it's only Captain America (rather unsurprisingly) who wasn't. You shouldn't have doubted The Avengers would do really good numbers.

Slayven

They will make a Hulk movie like if it was a super hero movie .... a GOOD hulk movie must work as a Godzilla type movie =P

What would be a perfect excuse to show another marvel hero =P

edit -----------------------------

Wait .. so ... the middle credits scene was the only credits scene ?

Hulk will talk about it once he gets back from his vacation.

prv12165_pg2.jpg

Totally unrelated, but saw Cabin in the Woods just now. If Avengers comes anything close to being as fun as that movie, it's going to be fucking glorious.

sharbhund

If you haven't seen the movie yet, don't read Richard Corliss' review in Time. It's loaded with spoilers. The first few sentences give away Stan Lee's cameo.

Cartman86

Banned
Recent events would suggest otherwise.

Forgot about John Carter.

One thing I can say, given that I waited to see the post-credits scenes all the times I went to watch both Thor and Captain America (and it's more than I'd be willing to admit), literally everyone stayed to see it, and people cheered the Avengers trailer on Captain America which is something I have rarely seen here. People have been looking forward to this movie for a very long time.

Thor was fairly succesful overseas, it's only Captain America (rather unsurprisingly) who wasn't. You shouldn't have doubted The Avengers would do really good numbers.

I don't know. The $268.3 million that Thor (and even the $311 for Iron Man 2) made overseas was pretty mild compared to the $2 billion by Avatar, $1.4 billion of Titanic, $950 Harry Potter, $770 Transformers, $802 Pirates 3, or even the $456 of Dark Knight.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Okay, I gotta bail out of here for now, I want nothing else spoiled to any extent- see you all in roughly one week! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom