• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

Fuck I couldn't bring myself to predict the Box Office of this because of the international. Never seemed like world wide people were interested in the super heroes like they were with the Pirates movies etc. You think Disney is just really good at marketing?

International loves huge spectacle epic movies.

The Avengers seems to be much more of a huge epic spectacle than any of the Marvel movies before it. That plus a huge roster of now familiar characters is an easy sell.

jUCbj.jpg
I suppose that makes Ghost Rider 2 a french fry that fell on the floor.

Man

Was a pretty crazy movie. It had some great laughs.

Amusing that I didn't know anything about this one just a week ago (though I've heard people chatter about it for a year).

It must have a pretty huge budget yeah?

dabig2

Oh man, every impression of this movie is making me giddy. I'm a HUGE Hulk fanatic so I'm loving the positive impressions of his character. If they make a 3rd Hulk movie, I hope they can do the character right. Hint to Hollywood executives - silent, brooding Hulk and emo Banner won't sell a 2 hour movie. Someone get Peter David to help on the next script.

Still a week away....*sigh*

Maybe the best review yet:
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-...neill-cumpston-returns-to-review-the-avengers

So let me just save you some time and say this movie will break your hand with its cock and balls by running at your hand which you’ve made into a fist, thinking, “I’m gonna punch this movie in its cock and balls ‘cause no fucking way can it be good” but then before you do anything the movie runs at you and breaks your hand with its cock and balls because its cock and balls are like a chunk of highway. They can use this part of the review on the poster.

I love this part:
First off, Iron Man isn’t even the only superhero in the movie. There’s like five other heroes – Mr. Hammer, Soldier Man, Leather Spider, Scowly Arrow and Green Ferrigno. And what’s really cool is that you first get to see them basically beat the shit out of each other for the first hour, and then they beat the shit out of this dude who looks like Zooey Deschanel wearing a magician costume and his army of alien penis-looking-dudes wearing armor and riding these flying space-scooters. So it’s basically two ass-kicking movies, and anytime there isn’t ass-kicking Sam Jackson comes in and yells at people, which should happen in every movie.

noah111

Still Alive
Regarding bigtime spoilers...

I saw someone mention a post-credit scene showing a dead Coulson being turned into The Vision on another board, but this hasn't been talked about anywhere else. Totally fake, right?
Fake as fuck but goddammit if I wouldn't die for that.

Anyway, found an HD version of the IMAX-exclusive art I posted earlier, this'll make a really great wallpaper (click for huge [6400x2553] version);

Oh and I thought this was lovely;

380230_10151576514955601_768025600_24112069_277867195_n.jpg

badass mondo posters posted yet?
Yeah, a few pages back. Wish there were HD versions of these though, i'd love it as a wallpaper for my iPhone.

zap

Went to see this last night. Was one of the best super hero movies I have seen. It lived up to the hype.

Great movie, I'd recommend it to everyone.

Replicant

I wish film distributors would be more in-sync when it comes to release dates all around the world. It's very annoying not being able to talk much about the movie since most people haven't seen it yet or in reverse, like Cabin In The Woods, not being able to talk about it with others because your country doesn't get it until 4 months after it's been screened in other countries. Meanwhile, spoilers are running rampant all over the internet and it's very hard to avoid them.

Feature

Banned
saw it last night.

Movie is a solid 9/10 for me. Iron man is clearly the funny guy of the bunch cracking jokes and taking nothing serious.

Captain america is the actual serious guy, who would do anything to serve his country.
Thor is there because his bro is an asshole.
Black widow and hawkeye were decent, expected them to be more useless. But it was okay.
AND THEN

THE MODAFOKING HULK!!! I felt like everyone was waiting till he came in the picture. And when he did, it was marvelous! Everyone laughed at those 2 hulk scenes. If you've seen the movie, you'll know which one I'm talking about.
hulk pushing thor away, and hulk VS loki

Very fun and good action movie. Though I felt like the extra scene after the credits was useless for people who know nothing about the comics. I had to google it to know what it was, should've made it a bit more clear by actually
giving a name for the bad guy they show

So all in all, Hulk > Iron man > rest. Gwyneth is a MILF and scarlett has a nice ass.

noah111

Still Alive
Though I felt like the extra scene after the credits was useless for people who know nothing about the comics. I had to google it to know what it was, should've made it a bit more clear by actuallygiving a name for the bad guy they show
I disagree, keeping it unclear adds all the more mystery and intrigue to what the future films will hold..

This is one of the few blockbuster movies and probably the only superhero movie that left me yearning for more once it ended. The chemistry of the cast and the clashes of egos made it insanely fun to watch. There's really nothing like it when it comes to superhero films.

I'll definitely be seeing it a second time.

anaron

This is one of the few blockbuster movies and probably the only superhero movie that left me yearning for more once it ended. The chemistry of the cast and the clashes of egos made it insanely fun to watch. There's really nothing like it when it comes to superhero films.

I'll definitely be seeing it a second time.

With your seal of approval, I'm especially looking forward to this now. Can't wait!

FeD.nL

I disagree, keeping it unclear adds all the more mystery and intrigue to what the future films will hold..

Regarding the post credit scene:

Did they cut some of the scene, because I recall that the discription of one of the screenings was different in that the invasion was succesfull in part because the chitauri dilivered the infinity gauntlet to Thanos.

Cool movie and 3d looked cool for once, especially during action scenes.

They could have easily cut 30 minutes of it though. All that chatter
on the carrier
was way too long.

Seen it last night at a staff only showing. Was everything I hope for an more. Seeing it again tonight as well.

Hulk needs his own movie now. Big time.

Hero

God damn you, GAF. I was keeping modest expectations for the movie but with all these glowing impressions you're hyping me up.

For people who have seen Avengers, does it beat out the previous Marvel entries?

For shits and giggles I probably put them:

Iron Man > Thor = Captain America > Iron Man 2

Where do you guys place Avengers?

wetwired

Saw it today, it pains me to say it but joss whedon finally made something good. It's unabashedly a comic book movie and just rolls with it, easily better than each of the hero's individual movies, hulk definitely steals the show.

Replicant

God damn you, GAF. I was keeping modest expectations for the movie but with all these glowing impressions you're hyping me up.

For people who have seen Avengers, does it beat out the previous Marvel entries?

I'd say it's better than any of those. Mostly because I was never really impressed with the action scenes in any other Marvel films but in this one the action scenes delivered big time. Also, the casts just blend so well together and while there have been cameos of some characters in the other films, it never clicked so well like it was in this film.

But the individual films serve their purpose for deeper individual character's motivations and stories, which obviously can't be covered as in-depth in films like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom