• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going back, once again, to my dreams of a Secret Avengers movie: if they were to do such a thing, it'd be neat if they replaced Moon Knight with The Punisher. It would require them to spend less time setting up the character at least, given Moon Knight is a bit of an oddball, and Punisher is both more easily explained, would give a bit of darker flavour to the line-up, fits in with the black ops theme of the team, and given his previous movies he'd strengthen the star appeal of the film.

Oh, and they'd have to get back Thomas Jane, of course.

Moon Knight needs to get his big screen debut. Punisher had his chance.

Dartastic

I saw Sam Jackson last night at dinner in New Orleans. I wanted to be all, "HEY GENERAL FURY! THANKS FOR SAVING EARTH!" but I decided against it and let him eat his dinner in peace. He was decked out head to toe in Lakers gear. It was amusing.

Moon Knight needs to get his big screen debut. Punisher had his chance.

I guess my main problem with Moon Knight is that he's too reminiscent of Batman for my liking. I can't see that being much fun on screen in a film like The Avengers. A stand-alone film is welcome, but I dunno, I feel like they could "pull a Hulk" again if they had Punisher in an Avengers film... even though I'm pretty sure he's never been on any team at all.

Oh, and Moon Knight isn't on the SA currently anyway, so that'd be a good excuse to leave him out in favour of Pym or someone

Mr. Sam

this sounds like good thing :)

As it might, but "hitting things" is kind of covered. It'd be nice for the Thor that was in, well, Thor to show up for a bit longer.

I agree generally, but there is some relief:
after all, he gets one of the biggest laughs in the film when Hulk punches him from out of nowhere. Not as fun as Hulk swinging Loki around like a ragdoll, of course :lol

The Hulk's probably the funniest character in the film. He certainly got the biggest laugh.

Also his line
"he's adopted." got huge laughs in my cinema

Indeed - he gets a few gold lines, but they're few and far between.

Edit: Oh, and I wrote a brief, spoiler light review: http://squarescircle.com/2012/04/26/avengers-disassembled/ Because that's what I do. Apparently.

2 Rotten reviews now:

http://fanthefiremagazine.com/blog/film/film-review-the-avengers/

Thor, however, was our biggest worry for the overarching franchise. A languid, misdirected, badly written adventure, our negative review caused quite the uproar online, and I’m sorry fanboys, we hated this one too.

The minute the movie starts to pick up any sort of momentum someone else butts in and we have to follow their train of thought for 30 seconds before they’re interrupted yet again. This isn’t the fault of the actors, they do of all what they’re asked, but Joss Whedon’s script is found severely lacking.

Whedon handles the action set-pieces well too, the (very) extended closing face-off has you on the edge of your seat with CGI detail reminiscent of Transformers 3. It’s a pity that by then it never build up an emotional involvement and you won’t really care who comes out on top.

The Avengers isn’t terrible and fanboys will (at least tell you they) love it, but it’s all just so generic by now, just like just another whizz-bang Marvel superhero movie, it’s hard not to feel disappointed. Without any real gusto I struggled to be swept along, the film stuttering endlessly thanks to stop-start conversation until the action finally kicks in. Marvel better hope it makes a lot of money, because on a filmmaking level, they didn’t really succeed.

Hmm.

kunonabi

I thought Punisher did a great job of adapting Year One and Welcome Back into an origin film. It toned down the elements of Punisher comics I hate the most and I liked how it handled the characters better aside from Joan.

It was a bit light on action but so was Year One. I thought it treated Frank with the respect his character deserves instead of just turning him a caricature like War Zone did.

I wasn't a huge fan of the new origin, old west duels, or the Tampa setting but I thought the rest of the movie made up for those minor gripes. The Tampa setting was a result of the limited budget so I can let that go.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just got back from seeing it on a disappointingly small screen (that's what I get for watching in 2D I guess). Loved it. It is a little slow early on, but not overly so. The interactions between the characters is handled well, and the action is 'actiony'. Lots of laughs for Thor and the hulk as has been mentioned.

Probably my only complaint was that the bad guys were a little bit too cannon fodder, but perhaps if you are familiar with who they are it might help - they just looked like they came out of Power Rangers,NAND the big snakes thing is straight from transformers. At least Whedon isn't obsessed with close ups,so there is room to breath in the action sequences.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
He gave Wrath of Titans same score as The Avengers? Wut? That can't be.

Iron Man 2 apparently was a 4/5 by his review history. It must be the best one!

He also gave Transformers 2 a fresh 3/5.

And we all know how much GAF in general just loves those two in particular.

Since there's not really an official box office discussion thread, might as well post this here http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2012-04-26-the-avengers-builds-momentum-on-movieticketscom
Official data released by MovieTickets.com:

• MARVEL'S THE AVENGERS is pre-selling more tickets for the upcoming release than the online ticketing company sold for CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER, THOR, IRON MAN 2, and IRON MAN combined at the same point in the sales cycle for each film. In fact, pre-sales of MARVEL'S THE AVENGERS is over one and a half times that of these past Marvel films combined sales at the same point in the sales cycle.
• MARVEL'S THE AVENGERS is selling 3,995% more tickets than CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER at the same point in the sales cycle.
• MARVEL'S THE AVENGERS is selling 1,034% more tickets than THOR at the same point in the sales cycle.
• MARVEL'S THE AVENGERS is selling 114% more tickets than IRON MAN 2 at the same point in the sales cycle.
• MARVEL'S THE AVENGERS is selling 1,406% more tickets than IRON MAN at the same point in the sales cycle.
• 56% of pre-sales for MARVEL'S THE AVENGERS are from fans wanting to see the film in 3D.
• Nearly 37% of pre-sales for MARVEL'S THE AVENGERS are from moviegoers buying tickets to see the film in IMAX 3D.
Opening weekend record gonna get got.

Why do you guys read reviews before a movie comes out? I understand looking at the score a film got but the review?

Yeah, I haven't read a complete review yet. Just canned through the blurbs on RT.

Since there's not really an official box office discussion thread, might as well post this here http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2012-04-26-the-avengers-builds-momentum-on-movieticketscom

Some stats comparing it to non-marvel films would be interesting as well.

It stands out because it didnt have to be all CG but they did it, and it was horrible.

Wolverine2.gif

That guy jumping into a moving helicopter was loltastic as well.

I want to stab myself in the eyes every time I see this. And you can't help but watch it for a good 30 seconds.

LosDaddie

Banned

Who Posted?

Total Posts: 1,512
User Name Posts

DoctorWho 65
The Outsider 60
PhoncipleBone 51
Scullibundo 47
Tobor 44
Good Job Bob 41
Zzoram 38

hmm, indeed :)

Hopefully. It would certainly guarantee at least one more round of Marvel movies

Radec

Saw it earlier, it was awesome.

The fights of the avengers against each other was pretty good, pretty much equal

Hulk was awesome, but this guy stole the thunder IMO.

570_Tom-Hiddleston-could-see-Loki-in-six-The-Avengers-movies-3635.jpg

Such a boss.

Yeah, Loki was great.
Although my two favourite scenes in the film- Hulk whipping Loki around Stark's pad, and Iron Man blasting into Loki in Stuttgart- both involve Loki getting his ass handed to him. He's wonderful at being both the cackling villain and the punching bag.

Radec

Yeah, Loki was great.
Although my two favourite scenes in the film- Hulk whipping Loki around Stark's pad, and Iron Man blasting into Loki in Stuttgart- both involve Loki getting his ass handed to him. He's wonderful at being both the cackling villain and the punching bag.

At first I thought
Hulk would pussied out when Loki got angry, then a few seconds later he became a freaking pillow lol. The look on his face while lying down = priceless.

Nekofrog

Banned
My theater is ONLY showing the 3d version, thus, I had to preorder 3d tickets. Is this a widepsread practice now? Could this be skewing those above preorder amounts?

jett

D-Member
My theater is ONLY showing the 3d version, thus, I had to preorder 3d tickets. Is this a widepsread practice now? Could this be skewing those above preorder amounts?

Only one theater in my area is showing a 2D version, thank the lawd. There's definite a predisposition to only show 3D versions of "3D" movies where I live.

Jazzem

Really enjoyed it! Just what it needed to be, great dialogue and character moments coupled with some very satisfying action. I especially loved how you could always follow the fights, no shaky cam here thankfully!

One surprisingly positive aspect was the 3D! My friend got the time wrong as we were going to see it in 2D, but I was really surprised how well implemented and immersive the 3D was, to the extent that I didn't think it was post converted. I would suggest hearing a few more impressions on that first though, as everyone seems to have a different take on 3D.

FeD.nL

Just saw it for the second time. Enjoyed it again. Love Sam Jackson as Fury
the scene where the crewman says to him navigation is down and he replies 'is the sun coming up' is pure genius

Favorite scene in the movie is
the single shot of all the avengers fighting the different battles, really great stuff

Though there are some nitpicks here and there, all in all it's a really fun movie with some great set pieces throughout the entire movie.

Hulk steals the show imo.

Lebron

Damn, was linking some of the impressions from here to one my friends who has been on a troll parade since this was announced. He has since blocked me from FB and doesn't reply back to my Hulk picture texts.

vWHCa.jpg

Serious business. Oh well, next Friday can't come soon enough!

Cartman86

Banned
That's a big difference. Reviews can influence you. The script is just the movie with out the pictures.

I can't help but read them sometimes, but yeah I regret doing it pretty much every time. That first time experience can only be had once. If I go in not looking for specific flaws I could miss them and thus remain ignorant. I hate people who remain in blissful ignorance to the real world and its problems, but fuck if my escapist subjective fantasy isn't going to take full advantage of my weak human psychology. Problem is my analytical everyday brain wants to be as informed as possible. Wish this film had launched worldwide at the same time.

Rekubot

Watched it a few hours ago. SOOOOO good. As previously mentioned, The Hulk steals the show.
The entire audience was in hysterics when Loki became Hulk's ragdoll.

Bring on Avengers 2! Really wish they could bring in Spider-Man/The X-Men.

Edit: Does anyone know when the Blu-Ray is coming out?

Jb

This no shaky cam nonsense is great to hear.

There was some in a couple of scenes maybe, but overall yeah the action was easy to follow.

I liked it more than I thought I would based on the trailers, despite the disturbingly generic plot for a movie of this caliber. After hyping this up for so goddamn long, it was weird to see them seemingly unwilling to commit to a script that would have had
radical implications for the universe or the characters
. The dialogue was snappy (even though a LOT of the jokes were lost in translation in the subtitles here, so I'm curious as to what the non english audience's reaction will be like), the movie got better as it went on, and for such a big cast I was surprised none of them blew it or seemed bored. RDJ's performance especially was maybe my favorite of the Iron Man movies.

I'm torn on the direction. I felt all the exposition and character interaction stuff early on was really bland and definitely had a B-tier superhero flick look to it, but the action, in the latter half particularly, had some really good stand out moments. The 3D wasn't horrendous, but I still would have rather gotten into a 2D screening and saved a few bucks.

Oh, and HUGE laughs during the
Loki/Hulk
scene. Hadn't witnessed this strong a reaction in a theater since the original Hangover.

Bring on Avengers 2! Really wish they could bring in Spider-Man/The X-Men.

wouldn't that be just great?

they should really get another woman in there for the sequel cause, like the cartoon going on right now, its a total sausage fest...

wasp can be in there.

how about ms. marvel or spider-woman? are these characters legally off limits too?

Khezu

Mrs marvel and wasp are good choices.

Spider-woman is kinda weird, she has very little to do with peter, but marvel seems to be pretty stupid when it comes to license contracts so who knows. though even if they have the right to use her, I doubt they would, she has a stupid origin and too much baggage to just show up in a avengers movie, and there's no way she could pull her own solo movie.

Even though technically not a avenger, songbird would be an awesome choice.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Hadn't seen this posted;

XqRQv.jpg

I love how everyone is looking in the same direction except for Hulk and Black Widow. Also, Tom Hiddleston must have had so much fun with his headgear. Hope there are some good behind-the-scenes extras on the blu-ray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom