• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald’s UK to launch premium burger line to challenge Five Guys, Shake Shack, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkyJoe

I LOL'd at "premium burger" + "UK".

1BOIhXc.jpg

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I have to say I've been a big fan of create your own taste in Australia.

There is a significant jump in the quality of the burger and ingredients, at least in my experience.

Its generally got pretty decent reviews by diners too.

These all look amazing. I would go to mcdonalds more if they looked like that.

Mayo, coleslaw, mayo. Motherfuckers. These may be freshly made, but I never put it past McDonalds employees to fuck up any order that dares deviate from their set menu in the slightest way.

Five guys is considered premium burgers? Hilarious!

Not really, the quality of the beef is obviously to a much higher standard than other fast-food chains over here. The patties are freshly made, formed on the grill, and the price reflects both of those facts. Sure, you can get a better 'premium' burger at any number of pubs and restaurants, but in the realm of UK fast food Five Guys is pretty much in the very the top-tier.

Muzy72

Banned
McDonalds needs to realize that their name is forever associated with shitty food. They need to embrace that, keep serving shitty food but lower prices and advertise the value factor.

They did this in Switzerland for about a year now (with some swiss celebrity cook). I don't like them. You can't mix good qualitiy food (which it indeed is) with McDonalds Flavour. It just doesn't work.

But it's still around so I guess they sell....

[edit] They just launched a pulled pork burger
http://www.mcdonalds.ch/de/aktionen/pulled-pork
I think the recent Maestro ones (blue cheese or gruyere) were not bad. Good quantities of meat at least, not bad for a quick fix.

Example for those not in the know: http://www.mcdonalds.ch/de/menukarte/burger-wraps/maestro-gruyere

But yeah, I'll take Inglewood or Holy Cow over them any day.

Rich!

To be fair, in the UK, we don't have any competition for McDonald's and Burger King unless you live in a decent size city. I don't, so I'm shit out of luck.

However we do have countless pubs, and the majority sell fucking incredible burgers. My local does a freshly ground double patty burger with bacon and a choice of mature cheddar or stilton, salad, shitloads of chips (fries for you American folk) and a pint of beer or cider on tap. That's £7.99

After you've added a drink and fries to this McDonald's premium burger, you're basically better off going to the pub and waiting a bit longer for some actual legit burger time

Pila

I've been to McD the other day. It's hard to believe how small those things are, I swear they used to be bigger. Somehow I feel full after the burger and that's impossible, it looks like a Barbie gadget but it works. Kinda scaring, I don't know how they do that. Lately they're trying to push this "quality" thing over here as well, I heard they have a burger with legit parmigiano reggiano, go figure.

Theecliff

Banned
i guess i'm an anomoly on this site for enjoying mcdonalds sometimes lol

i might have to try one of these later. the new wraps they've been advertising in the uk have been pretty good too so who knows.

AndrewPL

They've had premium burgers in NZ for ages. I always just get the triple cheeseburger since its the best value...

Haven't been in ages though.

Concept17

Why can't McDonald's go back to embracing their salty, greasy, low price goodness. :(

Although their Angus burgers awhile back were pretty good.

Log4Girlz

McDonald's should just do a slightly upscale offshoot. Fucking call it Super McDonald's for all I care. If you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will.

SoulUnison

Banned
They need to go one way or the other and, honestly, I'm not looking for a "premium fast food dining experience" from McDonalds... I'm looking for "fast food."

Find a way to bring back a Dollar Menu and put things people actually want on it. Bring back the amazing fries you used to have and do whatever it takes to always have enough on rotation that everybody's order is hot and crispy.

I'm never going to stop at a McDs and drop 7 or 8 bucks for food that's terrible for me, but I'll occasionally hit up a drive-thru for two bacon cheeseburgers and a value fry. Or at least I would, when those things were still a buck each.

The only thing McDonald's has going for them is price. As much as I love the place, Five Guys is so expensive over here, but even with these premium burgers, if people want Five Guys, they'll go to Five Guys lol No one thinks to themselves 'damn I feel like Five Guys, but hold tight McDonald's'.

I LOL'd at "premium burger" + "UK".

London has some of the best gourmet burger joints in the western world. Fact. Also, for those of you around the South Coast (Southampton/Bornemouth), try out 7Bone, if you haven't already.

7bone-burger-co.jpg

SteveWD40

Doesn't work in America cos you guys have like 50 different options. UK is very limited for burger joints outside of London.

Maybe in small towns, but in Manchester for example I can go to:

Five Guys
Byron
Almost Famous
Gourmet Burger
Handmade Burger Co
SoLita
Filthy Cow
Archies

Plus dozens of others.

MilkyJoe

Maybe in small towns, but in Manchester for example I can go to:

Five Guys
Byron
Almost Famous
Gourmet Burger
Handmade Burger Co
SoLita
Filthy Cow
Archies

Plus dozens of others.

Yeah, pretty much any gastro pub will knock you up a burger that will crush a fast food joint.

Mindwipe

There are about 3 Five Geezers in London now. Shake Shack's pretty shit, there are better brioche burgers in town.

There's about seven now. They're opening at a rate of knots.

These new burgers look okay when outside of central London. In central it's going to be pretty hard to compete, because Honest, Patty and Bun and Dirty Burger all exist. Five Guys seems like it still has better topping options though.

Zaph

I don't see how they're going to compete, it's still McDonald's. If anything they should be trying to reduce prices so all the kids who hang out there for hours actually might buy something.

As far as gourmet burger wars go, Patty & Bun has it in the bag. Their cheeseburger, fries, chicken wings and hot sauce combo is artery clogging heaven.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Yeah still MacDonald's like, I've tried the premium ones they've done in the past - those taste of the US things and other ones of that ilk. End of the day it's still shitty Maccas meat, trying to sell me a thicker patty of that shite? Not exactly an appealing though. I donb't know anyone eating Maccy's outside of being drunk or hungover these days.

Also it means actually having to go into MacDonald's, i mean people here go to a moderately nice or quirky looking place to sit down and get a burger and all the other goodness that goes along with that, nobody's gonna think "Hmm, I wanna go get a nice burger in a fancy bun and all that jazz" only to go sit in a fucking Maccy's.

Also there are some amazing gourmet burger places in the UK, London's got some incredible spots.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sounds nice, will give it a go. Five guys are ok but massively overpriced.

McDonald's seem OK in the UK. the menu has some healthy(ish) stuff on it, and you can get orange juice or water instead of fizzy drinks. It's no gourmet restaurant but it doesn't seem as bad as descriptions of US McDonalds sound like.

Browny

Banned
To be fair, in the UK, we don't have any competition for McDonald's and Burger King unless you live in a decent size city. I don't, so I'm shit out of luck.

However we do have countless pubs, and the majority sell fucking incredible burgers. My local does a freshly ground double patty burger with bacon and a choice of mature cheddar or stilton, salad, shitloads of chips (fries for you American folk) and a pint of beer or cider on tap. That's £7.99

After you've added a drink and fries to this McDonald's premium burger, you're basically better off going to the pub and waiting a bit longer for some actual legit burger time

This is the truth. Pub food quality has increased immeasurably over the past 15 years or so, and the burgers being sold are damn good. Someone else earlier also mentioned Gourmet Burger and Handmade Burger - both great suggestions.

You go and spend £3, £4, £5 on a fast food burger, it will be average at best. You go and spend just a couple of pounds more - you get bigger, better, tastier, more filling. It's also a much better experience to sit down in a comfy chair and take your time over things - as opposed to being sat on a piece of plastic welded to the table, surrounded by dozens of teen chavs *rumbles off into rant about kids nowadays, shakes fist at sky*

I don't think this is a bad idea at all.

No other restaurant has the money and power of McDonald's. Coming out with a second tier of gourmet food with proper ingredients etc might be smart, if they keep prices relatively low.

In my city a lot of popular gourmet burger places have opened up recently. The quality is great, but definitely overpriced.

KidJr

So yeah I dont think this will take off, I'm happy to pay £13 for a five guys meal but I'd be upset at paying £10 coming from Mcdonalds, maybe I need to give it a try but I really cant see them competing with the the burger chains in terms of quality.

I guess I'm pretty spoiled for choice as I work in Central London so maybe its a good option to have for other parts of the UK.

Also nothing is fucking with Honest Burger, just found out they've been expanding and there is now a few around the city. Lunch sorted!

Oh in my opinion of best burger (chains as I agree good gastro's are still king for Burgers)

1. Honest Burger
2. Shake Shack
3. Five Guys
4. Patty and Bun
5. Flat Iron
6. Meat Mission

There's a few others that are meant to be truly world class (Tommi's if anyone has ever tried it?)

Jezbollah

Having recently been to Five Guys, if they think its a new line of premium burger that is enough to challenge then they have their head in the sand.

Thick patty isn't even important at all.. best burgers I've ever had haven't had super thick burgers... it's just good ground beef cooked and seasoned on a flat top to develop a nice crust.. then it's all about a nice slice of cheese and a decent bun.

All this talk about toppings or fancy whatevers.. fuck all that.. burger perfection is bun, crusted quality beef and a slice of cheese. Get a good one of those and you realize all the other stuff is just crap.
I hear you, sometimes keeping it simple is just the best.

Darren870

They've had this in Australia now for a while. Today was the first time I've tried it actually. And you know what? It wasn't that bad.

It tasted like all the recent burger joints that have popped up over the years in the UK and US.

Basically all about how much shit you can fit between the buns and less about the actual meat.

Which I don't really like that much anyways.

Frodo

The best thing about Five Guys is ordering your burger with as many stuff as available so you can barely taste the paddy, tho. Will McDonald’s do that?

Seriously, though: I'll try it. It can't possibly be worst than their regular burgers.
And the good thing is, McDonald's is one of the few stores that stay open until late close to home, so I hope this is a decent effort from them, because my late night, drunk food could reaaaaaaally use some more effort.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Lame. I would have tried it out at lunch but this is only available in 28 places, all nowhere near me!

Mr. Sam

I tend to prefer the quality of burger that most pubs are pumping out these days. Places like Bread Meats Bread in Glasgow or Burger Meats Bun in Edinburgh are also much better quality.

Agreed on the pub front. Five Guys is nice but I wouldn't necessarily say it was premium or even priced correctly. Shake Shack is good, though there might be just one in the entire country.

Gourmet Burger Kitchen is garbage but I used to get a ridiculous discount on it when I was a Picturehouse member.

Man my gf and I always laughed to ourselves as we walked passed McD's on our way to the Five Guys in Bull Ring Birmingham.

Much rather spend the extra quid for more tasty and filling food from there.

As I always say in mcd threads ... Nobody goes to McDonalds for gourmet food. The problem is that their prices on the shit food we love is too high.

Its always been about prices.

A big mac combo needs to cost 3.99 - 4.99. THAT would get me buying from the regular menu at McDonalds. Until then its going to be a 2 dollar value menu McDouble on the VERY rare occasion I have a McCraving.

I would get regular menu McDonalds more often but the prices are a ripoff compared to the competition. McDonalds is a 4 - 5 dollar meal not 8.50 plus tax charged in Canada.

I'm from Canada, and I'm blown away by how much McDonald's prices have gone up in the 8 years my wife and I have been living abroad.

I think it has to do with the minimum wage in the respective country/state/province.

Here in Taiwan, a Big Mac extra value meal is $5.17USD, or $6.82 Canadian (all-in, no taxes being added onto that). It's pretty darn cheap here.

Right - this is my issue with Five Guys in the UK. I tried one cos of all the hype, just a burger to go, I probably should have added loads of toppings on it... I mean it was a good patty, but overpowered by the cheese, and I didn't think £8 for a cheeseburger, no sides, was better than say going out for a decent pub or local restaurant. And then as you say there are brilliant ones - a bunch of pubs here all have burgers done with this one company so you know you can get some incredible ones.

KAP151

They have tried everything here in Australia.

Premium Angus, designer burgers with the brioche - all that shit.

It hasnt worked and it wont work.

People want CHEAP food and quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom