• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald’s UK to launch premium burger line to challenge Five Guys, Shake Shack, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've wanted to go here ever since I saw their Jurassic Pork burger

2015-06-19-16-14-08.jpg

Am I the only one that dislikes burgers like this? You should easily be able to bite into a burger and get a piece of everything contained in said burger. This burger is made for Instagram, not for eating.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Am I the only one that dislikes burgers like this? You should easily be able to bite into a burger and get a piece of everything contained in said burger. This burger is made for Instagram, not for eating.

Yea. to me the whole point of having a patty between 2 buns is to be able to hold it and take a bite.

Zaptruder

Banned
Just had a create your own burger from Maccas (because of this thread).

Brioche bun, 2 angus patties, big mac special sauce (apparently not the same as big mac sauce), spinach, coleslaw, red onions...

Probably one of the best burgers I've eaten in this town - and we've got some fairly decent burger places around town.

The meat was very much mcdonalds fare (better, but not dramatically so)... but the rest of the burger made up for it.

If Mcdonalds aren't doing that in the US... they should. Shits good.

Christopher

Internet warriors stop telling McDonald's their choices are a bad thing.

I think it's great their trying new and interesting things out instead of the same static food what large chain doesn't try new things?

Wendy's
McDonald's
Burger King
Kfc
Pizza Hut
Dominos

They all try new things to tap or test the market.

Just had a create your own burger from Maccas (because of this thread).

Brioche bun, 2 angus patties, big mac special sauce (apparently not the same as big mac sauce), spinach, coleslaw, red onions...

Probably one of the best burgers I've eaten in this town - and we've got some fairly decent burger places around town.

The meat was very much mcdonalds fare (better, but not dramatically so)... but the rest of the burger made up for it.

If Mcdonalds aren't doing that in the US... they should. Shits good.

The thing is there are so many good burger joints in any decent American city that most people would rather go to one of those to get a quality burger. We go to McDonalds to shovel as much cheap garbage into our mouths as we can.

Stet

Banned
The Guardian story suggests that Five Guys are competitive. I've literally never seen a single Five Guys in my life.

Well, that's kind of the problem with business media. While this is a response to Five Guys et al. showing up in the UK, it's not a hastily put together "oh shit we're fucked if we don't" response. It's a calculated move to prevent the new chains from taking too much of the McDonald's UK business as those new chains grow.

People vastly underestimate the cache the McDonald's name holds compared with newcomers, because people in a position to comment typically consider themselves "above" eating there.

Zaptruder

Banned
The thing is there are so many good burger joints in any decent American city that most people would rather go to one of those to get a quality burger. We go to McDonalds to shovel as much cheap garbage into our mouths as we can.

Well, there are a lot of decent burger joints here too. We pay a lot of money for food in this city, so the quality is at least there to match.

I mean... I guess Mcdonalds has the reputation that it does - but it'd be unfair to believe that it couldn't create a process to create some pretty decent burgers (because they literally have here in Australia).

GodofWine

They just need to make a good simple burger, none of this spicy, BBQ, etc, five guys et al make really good burgers which are usually just meat, cheeses bun...

For 3 dollars I can't get a good if modestly sized burger from mcd???

Sadly the people here who are saying they need to embrace cheap shitty fast as their mantra are correct.

Tarkus

The UK has Five Guys? We're invading your arteries and destroying you one murican burger at a time.

Redd

Shake Shack does make a tasty burger. Their milkshakes are amazing but their fries are average at best.

The UK has Five Guys? We're invading your arteries and destroying you one murican burger at a time.

There are only 40, roughly, but they're certainly becoming really popular, despite being a fairly pricey chain (compared to other fast food joints). The food is just several magnitudes higher than Burger King or McDonald's though, so it's justifiable.

And it teeters on the edge of 'Gourmet Burgers' which are becoming insanely popular over here. Places like Patty & Bun, Meat Liquor, 7Bone et al are making a name for themselves in the places they're located. They're more restaurants than fast food places, though.

driver116

These 'premium' burgers are always tasteless.

What they should do:

Make the Big Tasty/Big Tasty w/ bacon permanent
Bring back the McChicken premier - permanent
Bring back the Mexican Salsa - permanent
Bring back the double quarter pounder - permanent

Cook everything to order.

Inversive

I don't know what a five guys is, i'm presuming some stupid southern shit but after working at MacDonald's you couldn't pay me to eat one of their burgers.

The Five Guys near me is dead all the time. Went to see Spectre the other day and came out hungry, went to Five Guys right beside the cinema and no one else was in the place. 1pm beside a cinema with the biggest movie of the year so far just opened...
Was the same a few weeks ago.

spuckthew

The Five Guys near me is dead all the time. Went to see Spectre the other day and came out hungry, went to Five Guys right beside the cinema and no one else was in the place. 1pm beside a cinema with the biggest movie of the year so far just opened...
Was the same a few weeks ago.

Sounds like Kingston. I saw Spectre on Monday evening and the Five Guys looked pretty empty. I've been in there before and it wasn't particularly raving either. The ones in London are usually packed though.

Liamc723

I don't know what a five guys is, i'm presuming some stupid southern shit but after working at MacDonald's you couldn't pay me to eat one of their burgers.

This "stupid southern shit" is also up here in Sheffield.

I mean, it's your loss because their burgers are amazing.

Never heard of 5 Guys or Shake Shake or whatever those are. Guess they haven't ventioned north yet.

But I don't care how much nicer/better looking/sounding it is, I wouldn't pay nearly £5 just for a burger.

Tc91

Never heard of 5 Guys or Shake Shake or whatever those are. Guess they haven't ventioned north yet.

But I don't care how much nicer/better looking/sounding it is, I wouldn't pay nearly £5 just for a burger.

Where about north?

1 in the Trafford Centre is always packed, prime location for one.

Calderc

This "stupid southern shit" is also up here in Sheffield.

I mean, it's your loss because their burgers are amazing.

And Scotland.

Had a Shake Shack while in London a few weeks back. Wasn't impressed at all. Five Guys is truly the greatest.

I'll definitely be trying these buyers from McDonald's but they need to seriously stop saying "is that large" after every single item I order. If I wanted large I'd ask for it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
These 'premium' burgers are always tasteless.
Actually, McD's Angus burger is the only burger they have that does't taste like a tasteless sponge. But it doesn't quite taste like a burger made out of normal meat either. Definitely an improvement over their regular patty though.

hodgy100

missed out on the gourmet burger craze? you are in for a treat!

London here. Can't see this working at all. Too many better options. Also Five Guys. Decent but overrated and not good value. If you're in the west end, try Honest Burger or Byrons. Much better.

funkypie

Banned
McDonald's just don't get it. They are losing sales and market share because there is so much competition and people are getting sick of McDonald's. At some point mcdonalds sales will stabilise albeit with a lower market share.

Back in the day kfc and to an extent burger kin were their main competitors, since subway burst on the scene they've lost market share. no matter how much bullshit and their own deli range they bring out, they will never be back to where they were.

Arials

The Guardian story suggests that Five Guys are competitive. I've literally never seen a single Five Guys in my life.

Yeah, the biggest fancy burger places are by far Gourmet Burger Kitchen and Byron Burger. I live in London and I've never seen a Shake Shack or a Five Guys.

I live in London and I've never seen a Shake Shack or a Five Guys.

You'll find Five Guys in more touristy areas: the o2, Islington, Covent Garden, Oxford Circus, Shepherd's Bush, etc - I think there's only one Shake Shack at present, it's in Covent Garden. The milkshakes were delicious, but I was pretty underwhelmed by the meal.

I was going to make a joke about coffee beign in the shakes section, but did they really have coffee shakes??
yes Jack in the box had coffee shakes, Arbys has a "Jamocha" shake which is damn good, Nations has a coffee shake too.

its just something I wish they would bring back as I dont live near Arbys anymore and Nations is damn expensive.

Variety is fine, but it usually ends in mediocrity. I'd rather focus on a few things and do them superlatively.
Usually is not always, I would argue that the quality of Carls Jr, Wendys, and Nations meet or exceed In n Out and they have much variety

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom