• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald’s UK to launch premium burger line to challenge Five Guys, Shake Shack, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooh all this talk of premium burgers has reminded me, I think the best I've ever had, Annie's Burger Shack in Nottingham. I think it was recommended by a gaffer - and I had a roast dinner burger. It had a yorkshire pud and stuffing in it oh my god it was amazing.

Yup. Here in the UK I only ever go to McDonald's when I'm desperate enough and need a cheap and dirty fast food kick. Plenty of places where I can get higher grade grub, and Maccies isn't one of those places I'd go.

Only ever really get the milkshakes these days. They last forever!

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
In Italy, mcd already costs an arm and leg.
Which is beyond ridicolous. I don't even know how the fuck they stay in business. High prices, terrible food.

jesu

Any word on the amount of calories yet?
Their big tasty is about 800 or something.
That's a bit much for me.

8bit

Knows the Score
Quickly.

I tend to prefer the quality of burger that most pubs are pumping out these days. Places like Bread Meats Bread in Glasgow or Burger Meats Bun in Edinburgh are also much better quality.

Bread Meats Bread is amazingly good. Does poutine too if you're looking to waddle out of the doors fat and happy.

And yeah, this range was introduced in Switzerland last year. Blame this guy : http://www.reneschudel.ch/

The chicken one was OK, IIRC, but the Blue Cheese one is all kind of horrible.

I tried Shake Shack couple of times, didn't like it that much. Tried Five Guys once and it was a good burger, much better than I expected.

Orgen

They've been doing this for some time (months) in Spain. Better quality than the normal Big Mac and other options and not so premium price so it's a good alternative IMO (they just launched a new one in Spain)

MouldyK

Any word on the amount of calories yet?
Their big tasty is about 800 or something.
That's a bit much for me.

I'm at my nearest store and just ordered...came in like 2 mins...impressions and pics when home...

The Classic: 698kcal

The BBQ: 782kcal

The Spicy: 635kcal

I received a voucher for another one for free if I return...neat.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
McDonald's Belgium now has one of these 'premium' ish burgers on the permanent menu, the Bacon Clubhouse. It's pretty good. I hope these UK burgers (or something similar) make it over to other countries in Europe as well.

Thing is though, McDonald's almost has no competion over here, simply because there are no other joints. There's only Quick, and no Burger King, Five Guys, or anything else. We must be like the only country in Europe that has no Burger King

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
They need to get closer to this (not the prices):

60s3Vqv.jpg

The amount of stuff they offer now is crazy.
Perhaps I have different expectations in a fast food restaurant, but if I'm going to McDonalds, the last thing I want is an ordinary, somewhat bland tasting burger, with the only alternative being the Big Mac. There's very little reason for me to go there anymore since they got rid of the bacon habanero, the angus burgers, and the chicken selects.

hodgy100

Oooh all this talk of premium burgers has reminded me, I think the best I've ever had, Annie's Burger Shack in Nottingham. I think it was recommended by a gaffer - and I had a roast dinner burger. It had a yorkshire pud and stuffing in it oh my god it was amazing.

Ha one of my mates went there last night. they said it was great too :D

Yup. Here in the UK I only ever go to McDonald's when I'm desperate enough and need a cheap and dirty fast food kick. Plenty of places where I can get higher grade grub, and Maccies isn't one of those places I'd go.

Only ever really get the milkshakes these days. They last forever!

yeah there is plenty of food that is better quality tastes nice and is comparable in price.

Alx

McDonald's Belgium now has one of these 'premium' ish burgers on the permanent menu, the Bacon Clubhouse. It's pretty good. I hope these UK burgers (or something similar) make it over to other countries in Europe as well.

I'd certainly go more often to fast food restaurants if they had premium burgers. Although I think it's a mistake to make them with bacon, the whole point of a premium burger is to have the taste of beef and fresh ingredients, bacon is fine to improve cheap burgers but it can have to overwhelming of a taste in better recipes.

In all my years I've never seen a burger from McDonalds that looks as bad as that. They're generally well presented and they look like actual burgers.

I do enjoy a Maccies now and then. At least it's cheap. I'll give the BBQ one a go.

In all my years I've never seen a burger from McDonalds that looks as bad as that. They're generally well presented and they look like actual burgers.

I do enjoy a Maccies now and then. At least it's cheap. I'll give the BBQ one a go.
Have you ever ordered a Double Cheeseburger? Because they all pretty much look like that, however it is the only thing I'll ever order from McDonald's. Shame that the price of them keeps going up every year, used to be you could get three of them and some fries for ~£4.

MouldyK

Walking home now, so I'll upload pics later...but I was not impressed.

Made to Order they said...15 mins to make during quiet periods due to thickness of patty they said...

...got in 2 mins and it was lukewarm...

Now, my Burger Experience is not great, only eating a Blue Cheese Burger at Spur's 1.5 years ago and Frankie and Benny's Burger a month ago..

...but it was nothing special. Was warm, tasted like a normal McBurger with a brioche bun...maybe had better at Burger King even.

Like I said, they gave me a voucher for a free one next time and honestly...I'll get my friend to give a 2nd opinion in a week...

...oh yeah, they are still passing off rubber as bacon.

spuckthew

One of the best burgers I remember eating out was at Polo Bar near Liverpool Street. Maybe it's because I was drunk at 2.30am, but I'm sure it was a damn fine burger.

I don't eat McD's anyway and I wouldn't start with the inception of 'premium' meats.

Walking home now, so I'll upload pics later...but I was not impressed.

Made to Order they said...15 mins to make during quiet periods due to thickness of patty they said...

...got in 2 mins and it was lukewarm...

Now, my Burger Experience is not great, only eating a Blue Cheese Burger at Spur's 1.5 years ago and Frankie and Benny's Burger a month ago..

...but it was nothing special. Was warm, tasted like a normal McBurgwe with a brioche bun...maybe had better at Burger King even.

Like I said, they gave me a voucher for a free one next time and honestly...I'll get my friend to give a 2nd opinion in a week...

...oh yeah, they are still passing off rubber as bacon.
Jesus... Where do you live? Are there no proper burger places?

Log4Girlz

I went to the one is Oxford a while ago and the burger was so overcooked, I would of actually preferred a McD's burger. However maybe I went there whilst they were having an off day.

I prefer my burgers to be cooked medium if the patty is that big.

Of course an atomic burger would be overcooked

Just not had the time or can be assed. Plus, i'm not paying top dollar for a burger when I have no job!

I'll try Five Guys next month though and compare.
You just bought 3 burgers from McDonald's that you didn't like... Just go on TripAdvisor or something and find a decently rated burger place

Wvrs

If I was going to pay a fiver for a decent burger I'd rather pay an extra fee quid on top of that and go to Almost Famous.

Tried Five Guys once, it was nice but I couldn't enjoy it because I felt so ripped off lol.

jesu

I'm at my nearest store and just ordered...came in like 2 mins...impressions and pics when home...

The Classic: 698kcal

The BBQ: 782kcal

The Spicy: 635kcal

I received a voucher for another one for free if I return...neat.

Cheers, a little bit high for my liking but I'll give the classic a try at some point.
At the moment all the participating restaurants are down south so I don't know when that will be.

If this has killed off the Big Tasty from ever being seen again I will not be happy.

I was just checking their website, it's still on the menu for now!

Symphonia

Banned
Nothing will ever, ever, ever compare to Boss Burgers in Leeds.

If I was on Death Row, and that was my last meal, I'd die a happy man.

MouldyK

You just bought 3 burgers from McDonald's that you didn't like... Just go on TripAdvisor or something and find a decently rated burger place

I bought One Burger...the next one is free though!

Also, picture time:

12108838_10204142709002111_6207148045174842703_n.jpg

12208872_10204142708962110_5083107792438431255_n.jpg

^--- Yes, it came up-side down in the box...

12219543_10204142708882108_622724202403080028_n.jpg

12187909_10204142708922109_2446003642358470367_n.jpg

Sorry for bad pics, my new phone is being repaired.

Maybe in small towns, but in Manchester for example I can go to:

Five Guys
Byron
Almost Famous
Gourmet Burger
Handmade Burger Co
SoLita
Filthy Cow
Archies

Plus dozens of others.

Glasgow has loads of great burger places as well, sadly I live 40 miles away in Stirling so the only choices here are Mcd's and Burger King, anywhere else you go overcooks the burger to oblivion and uses horrible buns or even floured baps.

I still wouldn't be buying McD's signature though as when I want a McD's it's because I am feeling fucking dirty and want disgusting cheap food like a double cheese burger x3 for under a fiver.

I went to the one is Oxford a while ago and the burger was so overcooked, I would of actually preferred a McD's burger. However maybe I went there whilst they were having an off day.

I prefer my burgers to be cooked medium if the patty is that big.

I usually get the vegi or chicken burger in a bagel with duck, meatballs and a fried egg. My wife gets the beef burger though and it's always been fine. Did they ask how you wanted it cooked? Just get em to cook another one if it's dry.

Their bacon milkshakes are horrible though, never order one.

jelly

McDonalds is too expensive and if I'm going to spend that much I'll go somewhere with nicer food for the same price or a few quid more. There is no reason to go to McDs when you get tasty burgers elsewhere.

RulkezX

If I want a premium burger I can get the pate for quite a bit cheaper than these burgers from my local butcher.

What I can't get from my local butcher is a 99p cheese burger.

Frith

posh burgers are popular because people are ashamed of mcdonalds but still like burgers, posh burgers let people feel ok about themselves while committing foodcrimes

chasing the good burger isn't going to help them they will always be shamefull they just need to get cheaper so the trade off is worth making.

#99pdouble

MilkyJoe

I bought One Burger...the next one is free though!

Also, picture time:

12108838_10204142709002111_6207148045174842703_n.jpg

12208872_10204142708962110_5083107792438431255_n.jpg

^--- Yes, it came up-side down in the box...

12219543_10204142708882108_622724202403080028_n.jpg

12187909_10204142708922109_2446003642358470367_n.jpg

Sorry for bad pics, my new phone is being repaired.

Are they having a fecking laugh? That looks just as shit and plastiv as the rest of their menu.

The bacon looks nasty.

Xun

Tempted to try this range.

Speaking of gourmet burgers I need to visit Honest again soon since it's been a few weeks since my last visit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom