• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

3N16MA

Banned
Yup. Tonight's the latest example of why you can't trust this team to deliver.

You do realize the Yanks pen ranks top 5 in FIP, xFIP, ERA, fWAR, K/9, HR/9 heading into this game. It could be regarded as the best pen in baseball.

What more do you want?

Caja 117

You do realize the Yanks pen ranks top 5 in FIP, xFIP, ERA, fWAR, K/9, HR/9 heading into this game. It could be regarded as the best pen in baseball.

What more do you want?
And they also lead the league in blown saves and is one if the worst in one run games?

Those number means jack if they cant close out games.

Caja 117

he was doing his typical shtick long before they blew it
Because we have seen this far too often this season is like deja vu over and over. The thing that gets me is that this is suppossed to be one of the best pen in the league, yet they keep blowing leads.

Hats off to the Red Sox they keep fighting until the last strike, Moreland got a 2 out 0-2 pitch in a 2 rbi hit.

Toth

Because we have seen this far too often this season is like deja vu over and over. The thing that gets me is that this is suppossed to be one of the best pen in the league, yet they keep blowing leads.

Hats off to the Red Sox they keep fighting until the last strike, Moreland got a 2 out 0-2 pitch in a 2 rbi hit.

At least you get it Caja ; ;

Toth

Chapman is broken, I really hope this is just a down season.

I think the problem is more than just physical. Guy clearly has something mental brewing within him and Girardi's comments of late speak to Chapman being unable to accept a demotion because of pride.

3N16MA

Banned
And they also lead the league in blown saves and is one if the worst in one run games?

Those number means jack if they cant close out games.

Saves are overrated. You're using that stat to cancel out others? Save situations are sometimes the least high leverage situations a reliever can face.

Caja 117

I think the problem is more than just physical. Guy clearly has something mental brewing within him and Girardi's comments of late speak to Chapman being unable to accept a demotion because of pride.
Chapman will not accept not been the closer?
Saves are overrated. You're using that stat to cancel out others? Save situations are sometimes the least high leverage situations a reliever can face.
Wait, having a lead and loose it in late innings is overrated????? Ok! Tell that to teams like Red Sox and Dodgers.

Toth

Pretty lousy loss tonight but not crushing. Red Sox just show an ability to bring players in while the Yankees stall. Judge needs to move down the order because...well, we just don't know what is exactly but he certainly is not the first half Judge and legitly cost us this game tonight. Chapman is a complete disaster.

3N16MA

Banned
Chapman will not accept not been the closer?

Wait, having a lead and loose it in late innings is overrated????? Ok! Tell that to teams like Red Sox and Dodgers.

Closing out an inning with a 3 run lead with no runners on and earning a save is overrated.

Relieving a starter in the 7th with a 1 run lead,1 out, 2 runners on, and closing out the inning is underrated.

One gets a shiny stat to mark the occasion. The other gets a stat that many fans don't care about.

Caja 117

Closing out an inning with a 3 run lead with no runners on and earning a save is overrated.

Relieving a starter in the 7th with a 1 run lead,1 out, 2 runners on, and closing out the inning is underrated.

One gets a shiny stat to mark the occasion. The other gets a stat that many fans don't care about.

Im not talking about getting the save stat, Im talking about blowing leads, wich are counted as blown save tracking from the seven inning, you cant come here and tell me with a straight face that preserving a lead in a game after the 7 inning is overrated.

3N16MA

Banned
Im not talking about getting the save stat, Im talking about blowing leads, wich are counted as blown save tracking from the seven inning, you cant come here and tell me with a straight face that preserving a lead in a game after the 7 inning is overrated.

You do realize the guy who leads the team in blown saves is no longer on the team.

Two pitchers who have pitched a combined 70 innings have almost half the teams blown saves. Seems like an awful way to condemn the entire pen.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Craig Minervini
@CraigMinervini

Cannot confirm but from well placed @mlb source, word is @mets are trading CurtisGranderson and C Rene Rivera, both not in lineup

Like I said just a shaky rumor, so idk

I'm glad it is that Rivera and not TJ, but not sure why they would trade him when he works well with Thor.

Caja 117

You do realize the guy who leads the team in blown saves is no longer on the team.

Two pitchers who have pitched a combined 70 innings have almost half the teams blown saves. Seems like an awful way to condemn the entire pen.
But they are a team, they win and loose as a team, so even if 2 guys have half the team blown leads it still goes back to the team, this goes back to my point that the number you showed me ( as a tean and not individually) dont matter if they cant close out the game.

You can keep going back to numbers, but, outside of Drob, I dont trust this team pen to preserve a small lead.

Choomp

Banned
Anthony DiComo
@AnthonyDiComo

BREAKING: The Mets have a deal in place to send Curtis Granderson to the Dodgers. Not official yet.

Edit: official deal: Grandy and cash for PTBNL or cash. One of the best guys I've ever seen in the game. Great Met. Will be missed :( You jabronis better get him a ring

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Anthony DiComo
@AnthonyDiComo

BREAKING: The Mets have a deal in place to send Curtis Granderson to the Dodgers. Not official yet.

Edit: official deal: Grandy and cash for PTBNL or cash. One of the best guys I've ever seen in the game. Great Met. Will be missed :( You jabronis better get him a ring

I will miss you, Grandy!

Dudes a stud. Every team wants him.

So we get a .222 avg OF'r to help out our .223 avg outfield. 😅🤔😕
Top hitters since May 1 (minimum 294 plate appearances), by wRC+
176 -- Jose Altuve / Joey Votto
169 -- George Springer
166 -- Marwin Gonzalez
164 -- Giancarlo Stanton
162 -- Aaron Judge
159 -- Paul Goldschmidt / Justin Smoak
157 -- Anthony Rendon
153 -- JD Martinez