• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.
pastedImage.png
GOAT

We legit traded away almost nine wins worth of production for a sack of quarters and four thirty year old LA relief pitchers.

And this is BEFORE Jeff Wilpon just runs the team himself.

The catchphrases of the Mets offseason will be:

"focus on preventing injuries"

"financial flexibility"

"retooling"

"maintaining competitiveness"

"securing the key parts of the team"

"building to something big"

BumRush

I've always been a Mets glass half full kind of guy, but I'll be honest, I've reached my man frozenprince levels of disappointment in the franchise. This was a blatant cash play with no consideration for the future and it's awful to see.

I've always been a Mets glass half full kind of guy, but I'll be honest, I've reached my man frozenprince levels of disappointment in the franchise. This was a blatant cash play with no consideration for the future and it's awful to see.

I'm in my 30's and I'm convinced that I'll never see the Mets win a World Series. When Freddy Coupon kicks it, Brainless the Second will take over the reigns and things will get even worse.

The best chance the Mets had of changing ownership is gone. Bud Selig made sure of that.

What the heck did you guys expect teams to give up for players like granderson producing what he has at that contract number? The Mets had these bloated contracts and they were able to move them. A bit impressive they found a team to bite.

The fact it's the Dodgers on a waivers deal tells you no one else wanted to take on Granderson aside from the one team that has money to burn. Granderson was seen as a bad deal to every other club.

What the heck did you guys expect teams to give up for players like granderson producing what he has at that contract number? The Mets had these bloated contracts and they were able to move them. A bit impressive they found a team to bite.

The fact it's the Dodgers on a waivers deal tells you no one else wanted to take on Granderson aside from the one team that has money to burn. Granderson was seen as a bad deal to every other club.

Yeah, I don't get what any Mets fan thought they were getting for the players they moved in this market especially.

Then add said players expiring contracts into the equation and the fact the Mets were not going to give them qualifying offers ($18+M) and it was the only logical thing to do. Fringe prospects/salary relief/team resources was exactly what anyone should have expected.

I guess some really wanted to watch Duda, Reed, Bruce, Walker, and Granderson all contribute to a 75-77 win team while making it hard or near impossible to get a look at some of their younger players going forward in a totally lost season.

Edit: I'm more concerned with the idea of the Mets bringing Harvey, Matz, and Wheeler (would love to see them try him in a late-inning relief role) back next season with guaranteed spots in the rotation. They really are in a tough spot with these guys as they're always hurt, supposedly under-performing, and have low trade value considering the former yet some still think there is potential there for them to reach the high levels they once briefly pitched at. The Mets supposed "vaunted" starting pitching (I love Thor and The deGrominator) has been the biggest farce in baseball in some time.

The fact it's the Dodgers on a waivers deal tells you no one wanted to take on Granderson aside from the one team that has money to burn. Granderson was seen as a bad deal to every other club.
They could have got a much better package for Bruce from the Yanks. Just what and see what they'll get for Harvey next season.

They could have got a much better package for Bruce from the Yanks. Just what and see what they'll get for Harvey next season.

Concerning Bruce, says who but a few unconfirmed "rumors?" Matt Harvey? Uh, he has a lot to overcome and prove before the idea of getting anything of even slight value enters the equation and if he does return to form or close to it hopefully that will contribute to a successful 2018 campaign for the the team more than anything else.

BumRush

If they were willing to eat a part of the contract they would have gotten better packages.

Concerning Bruce, says who but a few unconfirmed "rumors?" Matt Harvey? Uh, he has a lot to overcome and prove before the idea of getting anything of even slight value enters the equation and if he does return to form or close to it hopefully that will contribute to a successful 2018 campaign for the the team more than anything else.
They could have already traded Harvey.

If they were willing to eat a part of the contract they would have gotten better packages.

But the contract was the problem to begin with.

I guess some really wanted to watch Duda, Reed, Bruce, Walker, and Granderson all contribute to a 75-77 win team while making it hard or near impossible to get a look at some of their younger players going forward in a totally lost season.

Right. It's baffling.

Toth

But they are a team, they win and loose as a team, so even if 2 guys have half the team blown leads it still goes back to the team, this goes back to my point that the number you showed me ( as a tean and not individually) dont matter if they cant close out the game.

You can keep going back to numbers, but, outside of Drob, I dont trust this team pen to preserve a small lead.

It's also not a solely against-the-Red Sox issue. I'm not feeling confident about beating Sale today because of what happened last week. I do hope that Judge finally gets shifted down the order. Something needs to happen.

MC Safety

The Associated press seems to indicate the New York Mess PAID the Dodgers to take Curtis Granderson:

"NEW YORK (AP) — The Los Angeles Dodgers have acquired outfielder Curtis Granderson and cash from the New York Mets for a player to be named later or cash."

This season has been a 10-car pileup, and we're not even into September.

Sandy Alderson and Terry Collins should be sent packing. The Wilpons should be stricken with regret that they took this baseball team and turned it into a punchline.

I can stomach a team that loses. But not a team that's embarrassing and run like a dollar store by absentee landlords still smarting from the time a con man divested of their monies.

Jay Bruce was worth more than a non prospect reliever and cash. Lucas Duda was well worth more than an organizational backend RP. Neil Walker a non prospect. Etc etc.

The issue isn't trading them it's trading them off value. And yes, the Mets didn't get requisite value for any of these assets. And they don't. Because they HAD to have teams eat the contracts above all else, that's why they traded these players not so we could see you players come in. It was to alleviate the Wilpon's financial burden.

Everything the Mets do is simply to operate as cheap as possible long term.

Sanjuro

The Associated press seems to indicate the New York Mess PAID the Dodgers to take Curtis Granderson:

"NEW YORK (AP) — The Los Angeles Dodgers have acquired outfielder Curtis Granderson and cash from the New York Mets for a player to be named later or cash."

This season has been a 10-car pileup, and we're not even into September.

Sandy Alderson and Terry Collins should be sent packing. The Wilpons should be stricken with regret that they took this baseball team and turned it into a punchline.

I can stomach a team that loses. But not a team that's embarrassing and run like a dollar store by absentee landlords still smarting from the time a con man divested of their monies.

Wat

The contracts weren't the issue to anybody but the Mets. This point in the year all were reasonably priced rentals providing depth value or plus value.

This can't be real.

Umpire Joe West before taking the field today wearing white wrist band to protest escalating verbal attacks on MLB umpires!

EDIT: Fuck me, this is real.

Umpires, unhappy Kinsler was not suspended or even publicly rebuked after ripping Angel Hernandez, will wear white wristbands in protest.

Nightengale
Tensions escalate between #MLB umpires and commissioner's office, w all umps wearing white wristbands in protest

Sherman

Umpires union sent out release saying members will wear white wristbands during games to protest what it calls: (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom