• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dellin cut his walk rate in half from 8 bb/9 in the first half to 4 bb/9 in the second half. Now 4 bb/9 isn't great but it's a massive improvement from his first half.

Our best reliever has been Chad Green and he should continue to be used as he has been; as a fireman.

but bottom line is that it's another blown save. too many of those this year.

Our Orioles did it! Been a lifelong fan since 9/5/17.

that seems strangely convenient.... >_>

Malo

Banned
I like Girardi but I really think its time someone re-evaluates how he uses the bullpen, especially in 1 run games.

As someone who watches the games, I agree with evil. Guy is a complete crapshoot if he is going to be wild or not and more often than not, he is all over the place against batters and gets some lucky bailouts.
His walk rate in the second half is right in line with his career walk rate. He hung a breaking ball. It happens.

And I've been watching the games too.

Toth

*sigh* this is a bad one tonight, should have had this one.... thanks Toronto you sucky bastards.

I'm sorry but the Yankees deserve it. Can this be the game to KO them? I don't know. But the division now slips further away and will they get off the mat tomorrow strong? I am very skeptical. Outside of DRob, there is no one I feel confident as pitching in the 9th inning in a close game.

His walk rate in the second half is right in line with his career walk rate. He hung a breaking ball. It happens.

And I've been watching the games too.

I would be very careful with trusting stats at face value. According to them, the Yankees have one of the best bullpens in baseball.

Malo

Banned
but bottom line is that it's another blown save. too many of those this year.

that seems strangely convenient.... >_>
Some of it is just bad luck. We're the opposite of the rangers from last year and the O's a few years ago.

lol, Yankees fans seriously think they can win the division?

I'm joking when I say the O's can win it.
After this loss and the red sox coming back? Probably not, but there's still three more weeks of the regular season left and we've seen the sox blow larger leads before.

I believe in the fried chicken and beer ghosts.

I'm sorry but the Yankees deserve it. Can this be the game to KO them? I don't know. But the division now slips further away and will they get off the mat tomorrow strong? I am very skeptical. Outside of DRob, there is no one I feel confident as pitching in the 9th inning in a close game.

I would be very careful with trusting stats at face value. According to them, the Yankees have one of the best bullpens in baseball.

Why would this game be the KO?

rekameohs

Banned
19 innings, holy shit...
LETS GO PIRATES!!

tvfys-20110727.jpeg

tumblr_mh1thzD2w31rvt5wko1_r1_500.gif

Toth

Why would this game be the KO?

The Yankees need to get as much momentum as possible if they want to make a true run to the playoffs. They had that going for then thus far this month. A loss is a loss but losses like tonight are killer. That momentum has hit a brick wall and the team hasn't exactly recovered well in the past few months.

Fuck yeah, Ken Giles striking out the side.

5-0 since the trade. Verlander's great!

*Double Reppukens Lee and sf2

Giles was throwing absolute fire. And aside from the 100 mph fastballs on the corner, when the catcher set up on the ground and his breaking pitch just hit that target perfectly. Unreal.

The Yankees need to get as much momentum as possible if they want to make a true run to the playoffs. They had that going for then thus far this month. A loss is a loss but losses like tonight are killer. That momentum has hit a brick wall and the team hasn't exactly recovered well in the past few months.

They recovered from the butt fucking they took from Cleveland to take 3 of 4 from Boston and 4 of 5 before tonight. If anything was gonna do them in, it would've been getting pantsed at home before the big four game series versus their major rival.

Always going to lose when you choose Baez over Morrow. No idea what Roberts was thinking. That was a pretty easy decision to make. Team needs a win to win back some confidence, which would take some pressure off the team from fans.

rekameohs

Banned
Twelve in a row!!!!

giphy.gif

Guaranteed win of the season series vs. the """""greatest team of all time""""", even including Rodney dump-a-palooza in July

Silkworm

Well at least this Dodger slump has significantly lowered my expectations going into the post-season. So I guess I won't be "surprised" when they fail to make it to the World Series :p Seemingly same as it ever was *sigh* That or maybe the Dodgers are playing rope-a-dope (*hope*) :-D

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
a quarter of Cameron Maybin's home runs have come in the last 5 games since he joined the Astros. When they got him I was like ok, he's going to be a very good defensive substitution and pinch runner to steal a base. He's also got 6 RBIs since joining the team.

Verlander looked good last night. Couldnt stay awake, woke up to at midnight to find out we won. Fucking hate being in the AL and AL fucking west.

RBH

Ronald Acuña (Atlanta Braves) named USA Today MiLB Player of the Year:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-ronald-acuna-improves-every-level/633376001/

DIGP4cTUwAEJrMk.jpg:small

Ronald Acuña was named USA Today Minor League Player of the Year. The award, which is voted upon by both writers and then subjected to a fan vote, was dominated by Acuña who beat out Zack Littel, Rafael Devers, Rhys Hoskins, and Jack Flaherty. Zack Littel won the fan vote, worth one point, but was out scored 5-2 by Acuña.

Acuña started the year started the year with the Florida Fire Frogs (A), but after putting up a 135 wRC+ while hitting .287/.336/.478 with 14 stolen bases he was quickly promoted to Mississippi (AA). Facing stiffer competition in AA, Acuña saw an uptick in production hitting .326/.374/.520 with 19 stolen bases and 9 homers - good enough for a 159 wRC+. His K% dropped significantly from 31.7% to 23% and the Braves saw enough out of the 19 year old to aggressively promote him to AAA Gwinnett. In 54 games in AAA, Acuña hit .344/.393/.548 with 9 homers and 11 stolen bases and saw his K-rate drop down again to 19.8%.

On the year, Acuña hit .325/.374/.522 with 21 homers and 44 stolen bases - a feat that hasn't been done in the Braves minor league system since Andruw Jones hit 34 homers and stole 30 bases in 1996...while being promoted twice. After a short offseason, Acuña will report to the AFL where he will be showcased against some of the top talent in all of the minors.
https://www.talkingchop.com/2017/9/6/16261968/ronald-acuna-named-usa-today-milb-player-of-the-year

*folds arms and smiles*

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Acuna either to be the next Alex Rodríguez or BJ Upton.

Or worse. Wilson Betemit.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/mino...batters-class-since-1987/#HEGfKaBPgSz86vld.97
The following 10 players were most similar to Acuna at the same stage of their careers, based on the volume of each player's excellence at Double-A and/or Triple-A.

1. Alex Rodriguez, SS, Mariners (1995)
A-Rod entered the 1995 season ranked as the game's No. 1 overall prospect after playing at three minor league levels, plus Seattle for 17 games, the preceding year. He delivered on that promise by hitting .360/.411/.654 (172 OPS+) with 15 home runs in 54 games at Triple-A Tacoma interrupted by two callups to the majors.

2. Gary Sheffield, SS/3B, Brewers (1988)
Sheffield shredded pitchers at both Double-A El Paso and Triple-A Denver on his way to a 24-game September callup. In the minors that season he hit .327/.395/.579 (174 OPS+) with 28 home runs in 134 games—though adjusting for those hitter-friendly ballparks would take some air out of his final line.

3. Andruw Jones, OF, Braves (1996)
The No. 1 prospect in baseball entering the 1996 season, Jones soared from high Class A Durham to Double-A Greenville to Triple-A Richmond to Atlanta that season. In the minors he batted .339/.421/.652 (188 OPS+) with 34 home runs and 30 stolen bases in 116 games, earning a mid-August callup.

4. Gregg Jefferies, SS/3B, Mets (1987)
A two-time Minor League POY in 1986 and 1987, Jefferies in the latter season hit .367/.423/.598 (165 OPS+) with 20 home runs and 48 doubles in 134 games at Double-A Jackson. While his defensive limitations forced a move to first base in the majors, he enjoyed a pair of all-star seasons with the 1993 and 1994 Cardinals.

5. Jason Heyward, OF, Braves (2009)
Though he hasn't made good on his $184 million deal with the Cubs, Heyward enjoyed six productive seasons at the start of his big league career. He entered 2010 as the No. 1 prospect in the game after he hit .323/.408/.555 (169 OPS+) with 17 home runs in 99 games the year before at high Class A Myrtle Beach, Double-A Mississippi and Triple-A Gwinnett.

6. Mike Trout, OF, Angels (2011)
Trout won the Minor League POY award in 2011 for batting .326/.414/.544 (156 OPS+) with 11 home runs and 33 stolen bases in 91 games at Double-A Arkansas, a performance that earned him a pair of callups to the Angels. What it didn't earn him was the No. 1 spot on the Top 100 Prospects list in 2012. That went to Bryce Harper.

7. Melvin Upton, SS, Rays (2004)
While Upton has been only sporadically excellent in a 12-year big league career, the No. 2 overall pick in 2002 excelled at Double-A Montgomery and Triple-A Durham in 2004, batting .315/.410/.505 (143 OPS+) with 14 home runs in 98 games. Tampa Bay called him up on Aug. 2 and he appeared in 45 big league games as a teenager. A switch from shortstop to center field followed in 2007.

8. Justin Upton, OF, Diamondbacks (2007)
Upton's remarkable 2007 season concluded with 43 games in Arizona for the playoff-bound D-backs, but it began at high Class A Visalia and continued at Double-A Mobile prior to his Aug. 2 callup. In the minors that season he hit .319/.410/.551 (158 OPS+) with 18 home runs in 103 games.

9. Adrian Beltre, 3B, Dodgers (1998)
An 18-year-old Beltre nearly won the Florida State League triple crown in 1997, and he entered 1998 ranked No. 3 on the Top 100 Prospects behind only Ben Grieve and Paul Konerko. He then batted .321/.411/.581 (151 OPS+) with 13 home runs and 20 stolen bases in 64 games at Double-A San Antonio in 1998, prompting a second-half callup to the Dodgers.

10. Delmon Young, OF, Rays (2005)
Young could do no wrong early in his pro career, and he aced his first test of the high minors in 2005. That season he batted .315/.354/.527 with 26 home runs and 32 stolen bases in 136 games at Double-A Montgomery and Triple-A Durham to win Minor League POY honors. That performance made Young the No. 1 prospect in baseball heading into 2006, when his career showed the first signs of unraveling. That season he earned a 50-game suspension for throwing a bat at a minor league umpire.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/mino...batters-class-since-1987/#FIsIo2UkXCvR2qBB.99

Beckx

in the continuing saga of Bob Nutting saved enough to buy lunch, the Cards picked up Juan Nicasio from the Phillies.

in the continuing saga of Bob Nutting saved enough to buy lunch, the Cards picked up Juan Nicasio from the Phillies.

For Eliezer Alvarez, a perfectly OK 2B prospect who had a down year with injuries.

Probably an overpay for something like 10 innings of Nicasio, but whatever. Alvarez might've been DFA'd in the offseason to clear a spot on the 40man anyway.

Sounds like it wasn't the Cardinals who first claimed him from the Pirates, though. Might've been Brewers.

Beckx

For Eliezer Alvarez, a perfectly OK 2B prospect who had a down year with injuries.

Probably an overpay for something like 10 innings of Nicasio, but whatever. Alvarez might've been DFA'd in the offseason to clear a spot on the 40man anyway.

Sounds like it wasn't the Cardinals who first claimed him from the Pirates, though. Might've been Brewers.

Phillies claimed him, I thought that was a done deal and the Cards had to deal w/ Phillies to get him but I only saw a headline, not details.

BFIB

Good pickup, but come postseason he can't pitch.

Oh, wait, were not making the playoffs, why did we do this trade?!

Salvy #23! A new career high in HRs.

Hopefully, that HR is him getting back into his old self since he hasn't been that great since coming off the DL a while back.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
What in the actual fuck was that inning lol.

Taylor and Lobaton on first and second with no outs. Gio up to bunt. Taylor caught stealing at third. Gio strikes out. Loby picked off at second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom