• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

Whilethat call was horseshit lackey was asking for an ejection--just amazed that it happened before the ball was dead and that Contreras was tossed too.

zulux21

John Lackey on getting kicked out: "He missed the pitch...cost me a big league win. Those don't grow on trees." https://t.co/i6pEUrUkOE

I mean i get wins are a mostly meaningless stat.

at the same time he is getting up there in age.
he is 13 of them away from 200.
and is likely a number that he would like to hit before he retires.

he has been getting around 11 per season the last few years so getting 1-2 more this season could make that goal more reachable next season instead of needing him to stick around past age 40.

gamz

I mean i get wins are a mostly meaningless stat.

at the same time he is getting up there in age.
he is 13 of them away from 200.
and is likely a number that he would like to hit before he retires.

he has been getting around 11 per season the last few years so getting 1-2 more this season could make that goal more reachable next season instead of needing him to stick around past age 40.

IF he comes back next year. He's a FA but I can see him getting at least another year if he doesn't retire. He's still effective.

zulux21

IF he comes back next year. He's a FA but I can see him getting at least another year if he doesn't retire. He's still effective.

if he is aiming for 200 wins (don't know for sure he is but with a comment like that I imagine he is) he should come back.

he will indeed be a free agent, but as long as he is willing to take 4-5 starter money I imagine any decent team would be more than happy to give him a contract for that.

heck the cubs very well might just do that themselves.

edit: I see jose ramirez is continuing to build his case why he should be the number 2 MVP over judge.

Beckx

Missed that Tanaka got his 150th (MLB and NPB combined). That gives him roughly 15 times the wins of his Koshien rival, haha.

gamz

if he is aiming for 200 wins (don't know for sure he is but with a comment like that I imagine he is) he should come back.

he will indeed be a free agent, but as long as he is willing to take 4-5 starter money I imagine any decent team would be more than happy to give him a contract for that.

heck the cubs very well might just do that themselves.

edit: I see jose ramirez is continuing to build his case why he should be the number 2 MVP over judge.

I can see him coming back to the Cubs. I mean why not? Loves playing with his bud Lester. One year deal.

Hmmm.

Looking at the Indians schedule, if Bauer -- who has been pitching very very well in his last several outings -- can hold his shit together in the Friday game, 2 of our very best pitchers follow him (Carrasco, Kluber). In that scenario, it is incredibly likely (at great respect to the Royals) that the Indians arrive in Los Angeles for the Angels series with a 25 game win streak and Clevenger on the mound who's been breathing fire and napalm.

If Clevenger does what he's been doing, the Indians really could get a shot at 27 straight, though with Bauer again on the mound (who while playing well is still a box of chocolates). And IF Bauer survives, Carrasco, Kluber and Clevenger are up again. While trying to pencil in wins is silly, 30 doesn't seem totally unrealistic right now. And they would have to go through 3 teams fighting to get into the playoffs to do it. Chasing the Dodgers for #1 overall seed in addition to 27, then 30 straight should certainly provide sufficient motivation for them to keep playing well and focused.

IF the Tribe wins tomorrow, the next week of baseball might be more special than it is even right now.

No matter what happens, I'm screen shotting everything every day until the ride ends.
3AQmK.gif

baseball doesn't work this way though. any individual game is close to a coin flip, regardless of starting pitcher. the odds of winning any 2 games in a row is way below 50%, even if it's kershaw and sale against colon and lackey. that's why 22 in a row is so insane in the first place.

I can see him coming back to the Cubs. I mean why not? Loves playing with his bud Lester. One year deal.

with 4 starters basically locked in already for next season, i'd be pretty shocked/disappointed if they didn't replace garbage ass lackey with somebody better

Malo

Banned
Sung Ming Kim

AL starting pitchers 25 or younger with more than 10 K/9IP & less than 2.5 BB/9 IP :

2004 Johan Santana
2014 Chris Sale
2017 Luis Severino

Severino is ok.

Eh he's a servicable #5 starter. I'd be fine if he came back one more year.

he's barely over replacement level and it will be one of the areas the cubs should easily be able to upgrade. he's gone unless maybe they acquired some big starter to replace montgomery or something.

Eh he's a servicable #5 starter. I'd be fine if he came back one more year.

Lackey is toast. If you don't have some dude in AA/AAA who can come in and replicate what he gives you as a 5th starter for the league minimum instead of paying Lackey millions you have failed as an org.

linkboy

Wow, KC's pitcher has no control. Those last four pitches were all over the place.

I've got a feeling Cleveland ties it this inning.

edit
Nevermind, that double play was huge.

Wow, KC's pitcher has no control. Those last four pitches were all over the place.

I've got a feeling Cleveland ties it this inning.

edit
Nevermind, that double play was huge.

Yeah, Cahill has had no control for pretty much all his time with KC since he got here during the trade deadline.

Either he's throwing pitches everywhere but the strike zone or right down the middle.

zulux21

Lackey is toast. If you don't have some dude in AA/AAA who can come in and replicate what he gives you as a 5th starter for the league minimum instead of paying Lackey millions you have failed as an org.

A. his season is a 1 WAR season. not amazing but most people would take that for a 5th starter.

B. The game of baseball isn't purely about the numbers a player puts up. That player's personality and experience can also easily effect the team and make other players better (or worse) you might be lucky and find a rookie that can match his numbers (but your average call up wouldn't be able to making your statement rather iffy), but you won't find one that can match his experience.

A. his season is a 1 WAR season. not amazing but most people would take that for a 5th starter.

B. The game of baseball isn't purely about the numbers a player puts up. That player's personality and experience can also easily effect the team and make other players better (or worse) you might be lucky and find a rookie that can match his numbers (but your average call up wouldn't be able to making your statement rather iffy), but you won't find one that can match his experience.

1 WAR for what he is making is awful. Again, for a fifth starter, if you can't get 1 WAR out of 1 or multiple cheap ass pitchers in your farm system, you have a shitty farm system. The Cubs don't.

Also yes, it's purely about the numbers, not about non existent intangibles like personality and experience and "making other players better". Smart teams don't pay for that bullshit. You honestly think the Cubs would miss a beat if they didn't have Lackey's old and mediocre ass taking up a roster spot?

mjp2417

Banned
1 WAR for what he is making is awful. Again, for a fifth starter, if you can't get 1 WAR out of 1 or multiple cheap ass pitchers in your farm system, you have a shitty farm system. The Cubs don't.

Also yes, it's purely about the numbers, not about non existent intangibles like personality and experience and "making other players better". Smart teams don't pay for that bullshit. You honestly think the Cubs would miss a beat if they didn't have Lackey's old and mediocre ass taking up a roster spot?

Who's going to bring the beer and Popeyes though?

zulux21

you really think he would be making the same amount?

also... I guess they should replace the coaching staff with min wage workers. why in the hell would a "smart team" pay money for managers if personality and experience has no baring on how well a team can play. They are spending millions on coaches, that seems pretty dumb if those things are non existent intangibles that don't effect the team at all.

lackey is a maniac that calls out his teammates constantly and acts like a child on the mound. even if you believe in the leadership/experience shit, he is not a positive in that regard.

"he's fine for a number 5 starter" isn't really how you plan a rotation. 5th starters tend to suck because you're rarely going to get 5 starters who all stay healthy and pitch like you hope for 30+starts. if you sign him to be a "#5 starter" there's still a good chance someone will suck worse than him or get hurt, and then he's not a number 5 starter anymore.

basically you don't sign guys who you think will give you #5 starter production, that's just what you usually end up getting from the tail end of your rotation.

you really think he would be making the same amount?

also... I guess they should replace the coaching staff with min wage workers. why in the hell would a "smart team" pay money for managers if personality and experience has no baring on how well a team can play. They are spending millions on coaches, that seems pretty dumb if those things are non existent intangibles that don't effect the team at all.

He made $16 million this season. For 1 WAR. That's not good. If he resigned, he'd still likely be making millions. I doubt he's going to come back for the league min.

You should pay people for what they actually bring to the team. What exactly does Lackey bring to the team other than his pitching? He's a pitcher. His pitching stats are all that matter. He's not a cheerleader, or a coach, or a motivational speaker. You are attributing team success somehow to these intangibles that he may or may not possess. Like how do you even know he brings positive leadership/experience? Because he's old? How do you even quantify that? How do you determine what it's worth, and how are you so sure some kid from AAA can't bring his own intangibles to the clubhouse?

This way fans get attached to older players and become blinded to what their production/value actually is (and start attributing meaningless shit like "grit" or "intanglbles" or "experience" to make up for it) is exactly why shitty old players used to get overpaid. Most smart front offices (of which the Cubs are one) have moved past that.

Using Minor when he went 1.1 innings yesterday...

Interesting strategy, Ned.

Then again, there are not much options in the bullpen since it's running on fumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom