• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

yay cards. now do that 2 more times and the next team the cubs face 3 more times while Mil takes care of business to force a tie breaker where the loser of the tie breaker has to play in the play in wild card game lol.

Don't think I've seen a guy get away with missing so much on the fastball and getting away with it since Chapman in the 9th of game 7. Set up low and away and it ends up high and out over the plate and Javy just couldn't get it.

chapman didn't throw fastballs in the 9th of game 7

yay cards. now do that 2 more times and the next team the cubs face 3 more times while Mil takes care of business to force a tie breaker where the loser of the tie breaker has to play in the play in wild card game lol.

you really care a lot if you're still paying attention to the cubs huh

zulux21

you really care a lot if you're still paying attention to the cubs huh

I do care about baseball in general. The cubs themselves don't matter much though right now.

you can go back through the other threads. I am always rooting for tie scenarios to get more crazy things going down. only way that happens right now is with the cubs and the red sox losing. I mean you could have WC ties too but those are less amusing as I think it just goes down to record then... actually not sure how a tie for the second wild card works lol.

I actually like MIL so I am rooting for them to do good.

I don't like the red sox or yankees thus I am not paying much attention there lol.

Mortemis

Banned
Of course the mariners start winning once they get knocked out of playoff contention. Is tanking the last few games to move up spots in the draft really that bad, especially with how close everyone is.

rekameohs

Banned
That feeling when a pitch in this spot is hit for a grand slam

RuNGsQd.jpg

JD is only 8 behind Goldy in team HRs. And he’s played in just over 1/3 of the number of games.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Matt Cain to retire after one more start:

PHOENIX — Matt Cain, who will be remembered as one of the great pitchers in Giants history and a keystone to their championship era, announced Wednesday that he expects to retire after he makes a farewell start against the San Diego Padres at AT&T Park on Saturday.

Cain solidified his plans Tuesday and held a brief clubhouse meeting before the Giants’ final road game of the season Wednesday to inform his teammates that he plans to end his baseball career Saturday. He then made his decision public.

“Saturday will be the last time I put on a Giants uniform,” Cain said. “I can’t see myself going somewhere else to play for another team. This organization has meant so much to me, so much to my family. It’s something that’s dear to my heart.”

Cain decided to declare his intentions now so he and his family, teammates and fans can enjoy his final start and weekend without the weight of an announcement interfering with the celebration.

“Unless something really unbelievable happens, it will be a retirement weekend,” Cain said.

Cain will be one of four players with at least 10 years in the majors to play his entire career with the San Francisco Giants, joining Jim Davenport, Scott Garrelts and Robby Thompson.

“Matt is truly one of the great Giants in our history,” chief executive officer Larry Baer said via text. “In today’s world, it’s a rare player who wears only one uniform, and even more rare to wear it with such distinction, accomplishment and joy.”

Cain acknowledged that the three championships made his retirement decision easier.

“I do feel that maybe if we hadn’t done some things as as team it could be harder,” he said. “I think we’ve been through the full gamut of everything. That is something that is satisfying and I know I’m able to hang my hat on at the end of the day. I put everything I could into this and I’ve experienced it all and enjoyed every bit of it.”

Cain made his major-league debut in 2005 and became the ace of the pitching staff, earning the nickname “Horse,” as he led a cadre of younger players into a new era of Giants baseball after the final, desultory years of the Barry Bonds era.

They reversed the fortunes of a team that had a losing record every year between 2005 and 2008.

In 2010, the Giants won their first World Series championship in San Francisco, with Cain pitching 21 1/3 postseason innings without allowing an earned run.

In 2012, after throwing the only perfect game in Giants history against the Astros, Cain started and won all three clinching games in the postseason.

Cain did not pitch in the 2014 postseason because of the arm trouble that would dog him for the rest of his career and ultimately lead him to retire after the Giants’ final game of the 2017 season Sunday, his 33rd birthday.

Asked if his arm felt good enough to keep pitching, Cain said, “It depends on the day.”

“Do we all sit there and think we can throw like we used to?” Cain said. “Yeah, we probably can for certain amounts of time. But I don’t know if you could do it an entire season the way you’d like to.”

In discussing his decision to move on from baseball, Cain said, “I just felt like it was in my heart. It was on my mind. I tried to weigh all the odds, the way my body felt, the way that I knew I needed to get prepared for a season.

“I think it feels as if it is the right time and I want to be able to enjoy it. I want to be able to enjoy this last weekend and have fun with it.”

Good night, sweet prince, and thanks for the WS titles.

Corran, break out the Cain memes in memorium.

dickroach

I would take Judge over Trout at least.

����

for what?
Trout, barring some really unfortunate incident, is going to go down as one of the greatest players of all time.

bWAR through age 25 season:
Judge - 7.3
Trout - 54.8

a higher bWAR than about 70 HoF players. and he's 25.

J2 Cool

Cubs playoff rotation really turning into quite a conundrum after that Arrieta start. Slim difference between the 1-4 with fatigue and injury. Could just as easily see giving Quintana and Hendricks the first two games

gamz

Cubs playoff rotation really turning into quite a conundrum after that Arrietra start. Slim difference between the 1-4 with fatigue and injury. Could just as easily see giving Quintana and Hendricks the first two games

He'll get one more start, but I agree it could very well be Hendricks and Q, and that would be understandable.

Anyway, let's close this bitch out tonight.

Peace out Matt Cain, he was such a fun pitcher to watch. Good on him for knowing it's time to hang them up instead of continuing to embarrass himself like ole Timmy boy.

Enjoy retirement.

Line_HTX

So are we going to have an OT2, or just jump straight to playoff thread?

Might as well jump straight to playoff threads. It seems like lately other sports went past page 400 on the final day this year alone.

Man, that update on ESPN just now... How the fuck have supplies not been distributed yet? What the fuck is taking so long?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom