• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 download ver on PS4/XO requires 50-60GB hard drive space?

WoolyNinja

Does anyone know if you need double the space to download a PS4 game (50GB download would need 100 GB space)?

Since they're going to be allowing a "Play as you Download" model I highly doubt they'll be doing the Download, then install, then delete the download model like the PS3 had.

Bsigg12

I know Xbox One does, not sure on PS4.

Essentially if you have shitty internet and want to go digital you could borrow/rent the disc, have it installed on the Xbox then purchase the game off Marketplace. In theory the only stuff you'd need to download then would be any updates.

That's not a bad idea actually. Redbox the game for the install and play right there. Return it and buy it digitally off Xbox Live without a need to install it.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Am I downloading a game or the entire Directors Cut Extended Super Duper Collectors 5 Disc Blu-ray Set Edition with Special Commentary never heard before?

All digital future?

KuGsj.gif

SaracenSam

Neo Member
If you think these games are space hogs, think about the saved game files on your system for each game. I looked at my Xbox360 BF3 game file and that thing is over 6GB.

Between file sizes and game downloads it'll probably take 3-4 games to consume you harddrive space.

TheSoviet

Neo Member
10GB more for xbone?

This pretty much kills off MS's cloud download service. Even on fibre optic broadband, why download a 60GB game to not be able to back it up or if you can, best just to have it on disk. Multiple HDDs are gonna be more cumbersome than a disk collection.

JJD

Oh, thanks for the info!

So what is the largest HDD we can put into the PS4 currently? 1.5tb?

Yeah, but those HDDs are probably just 5400 RPM.

If you ain't going full digital I believe a hybrid 1tb HDD is going to be better, faster.

If you don't care for load times then 1.5tb currently if the biggest you can get.

Damn. What are some good drives that can be swapped in the PS4? This is going to suck if my first day with the PS4 is going to be like building a PC with formatting and installing shit. Never did this for the PS3.

Are their any speeds that don't work or any requirements?

For example this one.

1.5TB limit? Is that the OS or drive size issue?

EDIT: Ah, it's the 2.5" size issue. $200 for a 2TB 2.5" ... yeah, fuck that. Looks like I'll have to delete as necessary. 1TB doesn't even seem that much of an upgrade for $100.

Tsundere

Banned
Oh, thanks for the info!

So what is the largest HDD we can put into the PS4 currently? 1.5tb?

I believe 1.5TB is the max right now, if we go by the form factor of the drives on PS3.

We'll have to see though, it was possible to use larger drives on PS3 if you attached them via longer sata cables and used an external power source. That would enable you to use larger 3.5" HDDs.

I very much doubt those Amazon.com specs are correct.

For starters, both consoles use 25/50 GB Blu-ray discs so there's no way the game is going to be larger than that or use two discs when it's a launch title. Secondly, it's a basketball game, that even with high-res textures, would struggle to fill 20 GB in my view unless the textures, audio and three hours of 1080p FMV is uncompressed!

I think you'll find that the the PS4 and Xbox One versions will be 25 GB or less. I'd be surprised if it's more than 15 GB in all honesty. 25 GB discs are cheaper than 50 GB ones and multiple discs are more expensive than single ones so the majority of next-gen console games will very likely come in at under 25 GB for cost reasons (racing/sports/beat 'em up games) and only RPGs, FPSs and open-world games will use up to 50 GB. Publishers will be aware of download sizes - the bigger the games, the less space they have for other titles on their servers - so I'd be shocked if a mere basketball game used 59-70 GB.

I guess we'll soon find out. I've always felt that a 500 GB hard drive was pathetically small for next-gen games and that was when I expected most of them to be 10-25 GB in size...

This is why I laughed at everyone when they said digital distribution is the future. It's not because of hard drive space and data caps and it won't be for a long, long time.

bmdubya

Neo Member
These sizes, if accurate, are going to make me seriously reconsider going digital next generation. And I'm on 40MBs internet.

A good way to curb this problem is allow every game to be pre-loaded before release. I know Steam and Origin allow for major releases for pre-loading, but with size of games increasing, it would make sense to allow people to pre-load every game.

iJudged

Banned
Honestly, who gives a rats ass. Confirmed, I can play my games as they're being downloaded, Installed etc. Reason why x1 version of 2k14 is larger by 10gigs is because of extra textures and detail on players confirmed, more specifically on their ballsacks and under armpits.

TheSoviet

Neo Member
Not sure if serious.

When people relise just how much of a burden a 60GB next gen game download is gonna be, it'll dis-encourage them from DD.

For the following reasons:

1. The initial download time itself.
2. Bandwidth.
3. Having no option to back up the download.
4. If you can back it up, just how many and how expensive will all the external HDDs be?
5. If the internal or even external HDD fails, you need to download again.
6. MP will be useless when downloading. Or will be laggy.
7. If the download fails or becomes corrupted, how happy will you be to have to restart all over again?
8. Having it on disk is far and away more convenient than on storage. In all aspects.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Oh! Will PS4 offer the same option? If so what is the largest external HDD can I get? I would assume I would want USB 3.0? I think both consoles have USB3.0 on the back of the system.

Sony hasn't announced it. I imagine it could happen in a firmware update down the road. I 'll be getting external HDDs just like my Wii U.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
When people relise just how much of a burden a 60GB next gen game download is gonna be, it'll dis-encourage them from DD.

For the following reasons:

1. The initial download time itself.
2. Bandwidth.
3. Having no option to back up the download.
4. If you can back it up, just how many and how expensive will all the external HDDs be?
5. If the internal or even external HDD fails, you need to download again.
6. MP will be useless when downloading. Or will be laggy.
7. If the download fails or becomes corrupted, how happy will you be to have to restart all over again?
8. Having it on disk is far and away more convenient than on storage. In all aspects.

Play as you download. Screw discs.

Solo Act

I very much doubt those Amazon.com specs are correct.

For starters, both consoles use 25/50 GB Blu-ray discs so there's no way the game is going to be larger than that or use two discs when it's a launch title. Secondly, it's a basketball game, that even with high-res textures, would struggle to fill 20 GB in my view unless the textures, audio and three hours of 1080p FMV is uncompressed!

I think you'll find that the the PS4 and Xbox One versions will be 25 GB or less. I'd be surprised if it's more than 15 GB in all honesty. 25 GB discs are cheaper than 50 GB ones and multiple discs are more expensive than single ones so the majority of next-gen console games will very likely come in at under 25 GB for cost reasons (racing/sports/beat 'em up games) and only RPGs, FPSs and open-world games will use up to 50 GB. Publishers will be aware of download sizes - the bigger the games, the less space they have for other titles on their servers - so I'd be shocked if a mere basketball game used 59-70 GB.

I will say this. I'm one of the 3 guys who bought NBA 2K13 on Wii U digitally. That download was either 20 or 25GB (I think it was 25). That was current-gen textures, features, etc.

vg260

Seriously, why are these 10x bigger than on the PC? Is that seriously all textures?

Uncompressed audio? (in multiple languages)?

I'm guessing it needs space for the download and the extracted files?

Like how you need double the space for every PSN download game?

Morzak

Wow.. I wanted to go all digital.... space will fill up quick if these sizes are to be true.. and XB1 doesn't allow upgraded HDD so were going to be deleting games and installing left and right in no time.

I don't get the problem with this, I'm doing this with my PC for years now. It's really not that big of a deal at least if your internet connection is up to the task, I find it way more convenient then having to manage dozens of discs. I mean if you planned to go digital with anything less then a 50+ mb/s connection you won't have a good time.

bluehat9

All I know is that game data saves better be separated from the installed game files so when I need to clean out the fridge I don't lose my saves. Unless PS4 saves all that stuff in the cloud like xbox does? Haven't really been keeping up.

TheSoviet

Neo Member
Play as you download. Screw discs.

What happens when you progress to the point that's still to be downloaded? Just wait? That's like having 1/5 of a beer then keeping it for later. No one does that. I'd rather have the whole thing downloaded completely than have to wait for it to buffer out.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
All I know is that game data saves better be separated from the installed game files so when I need to clean out the fridge I don't lose my saves. Unless PS4 saves all that stuff in the cloud like xbox does? Haven't really been keeping up.

I think it's an option for PS4.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

With a sub to PS+ saves will be on the fluffy cloud.

Top Bottom