• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 download ver on PS4/XO requires 50-60GB hard drive space?

RawRebel

Banned
60 Freaking Gigs!

NFL-GIF-SEMANA-6-ROB-RYAN.gif

CSX

What if all this extra data allows the game to no longer make fukking aliens for random generated rookies :D ??

Hopefully 64GB flash drives plummet in price in the next year or two. Just pump a DD game or two on each drive and treat those as my discs.
Or just cycle through a bunch of 4TB external drives I guess. Good thing XB1 offers that option I suppose.

fallagin

Im actually wondering whether disk versions might tend to be faster loading. Gta5 for instance uses both the hdd and the disk bandwidth for better total speeds. Not sure if any devs will actually implement something like that though.

joezombie

So is there anything other then lots of high definition video that could justify that? I don't care how high resolution those textures are, there's not 60 GB worth for a basketball game

Messi

So is there anything other then lots of high definition video that could justify that? I don't care how high resolution those textures are, there's not 60 GB worth for a basketball game

Have you seen him good it looks though?

I think most games will be 50 ish gigs this gen. Killzone is too right?

Madness

And people said that the disc drive wouldn't really be needed. The hard drives are going to be filled up within like 6-7 games.

I'd rather take a noisy spinning drive running the game than fill up all the hard drive everytime I wanted to play a new game.

a916

You can only fit 9 games on the consoles? I guess they are both hoping for streaming to win over. Which console supports external HDD game play?

This is the first PS4... the first PS3 has 20GB which is just as laughably bad when you take into account how big games are... it'll make gigantic leaps in HDD as the years pass.

If they make the same % leap (20GB to 500GB in the latest PS3s), that 500GB becomes a 12.5 TB HDD. Not saying that it will... but let's keep in mind how small the HDDs were for launch models of the current gen.

New002

Yep, I still miss the original Xbox One plan of having retail discs be one time install discs. Might have to download games at my buddies house since he's got some crazy business level connection.

This is the first PS4... the first PS3 has 20GB which is just as laughably bad when you take into account how big games are... it'll make gigantic leaps in HDD as the years pass.

If they make the same % leap (20GB to 500GB in the latest PS3s), that 500GB becomes a 12.5 TB HDD. Not saying that it will... but let's keep in mind how small the HDDs were for launch models of the current gen.

That's a good, but funny point. It's like they're expecting us to buy multiple revisions just to get that space. Dangit, and I probably will too.

Joco

So do people still think this is just for digital games or have they figured out that all games on both systems will be full installed?

Are they both full installs? I was aware of it being a full install on the X1 but I hadn't heard if the PS4 was or not. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe on the PS3 they have a partial install and then the rest is read off the disc? I figured the PS4 might be doing something similar.

Spinluck

Looks like its gonna be another gen of me not downloading any retail games digitally.

Only indie and non-retail games are allowed on my HDD!

rrs

I got a 25 GB/day cap on my internet, if I was back on my DSL I'd have to buy this game physically due to the file taking days to download + 1/3 of the cap.

The ps3 / xbox360 hdds were tiny when they released, I was using a 120GB hdd back in 2002...
in 2006 when ps3 released you had 500GB hdds already.

There's 2 new techs around the corner that will push hdds to 6GB around 2014-2015 (and eventually up to 20-60TB by or after 2020) but I believe one comes with serious compromises when it comes to random write speeds so they probably won't be suited for anything but NAS storage, terrible as system drive. The other (hamr I believe) is supposed to not have that problem but isn't due till 2015.

It's not the same situation now as the biggest desktop hdds now are 3TB (6x bigger, not 25x bigger)
500GB seems kind of piddly in the long run though if they want to push DD.
They should've just put in 1TB hdds, at retail they cost 10 euros more than 512GB ones...

Not sure why this game is so large though, high res texture mods (4k textures, higher res than you'll get on ps4 games) on pc are only about 2-3GB in size.
They must use a lot of uncompressed 1080p video and uncompressed audio to get to that file size.
It's also probably just a straight dump of the disc version... which most likely has files repeated to help with access times and loading times when loading from the disc, I believe many ps3 games just fill up the entire blu ray with duplicate files for that reason.

DarkCloud

Sony hasn't announced it. I imagine it could happen in a firmware update down the road. I 'll be getting external HDDs just like my Wii U.

It's not that they haven't announced it...it's that they specifically stated that the PS4 won't have that feature. Yoshida was rather abrupt on that point too. There was no hinting that it could come at a later date.

Jtrizzy

Sports games and shooters are the only games I'd want on my HDD since we can still trade stuff in. I love Steam, but that is one big advantage for me...It's incredibly rare that I replay a single player game...I don't even finish half the time, so it's great to be able to get $20 bucks towards the next game. I only get a 2mbs download, so if they want me to buy anything digital it better have a healthy pre load time. No way am I going to buy my PS4 and wait all day to play a game at launch.

Outside looking in...just feels 'dumb' for a game file to be that big.

Hopefully, they can optimize to about 15-25 over the generation.

I damn well know they've optimized down to 7GB to fulfill this gen's requirements.

Cuyejo

If we are headed to a fully digital future, then give me options, let me choose what I want to download, I don´t need 10 different languages narrations in 7.1 uncompressed audio, also let me choose the quality of the FMVs, not everyone has Google fiber or alike-

I've been saying since day one of next gen's announcement that digital distro is not feasible for next gen. Yes, SOME people have crazy high internet speeds, but those people are in the distinct minority. I have a 20megs down, 8 up connection currently. Faster is available in my area, but the cost isn't worth it to me and I'm not living paycheck to paycheck, so I can damn sure tell you that it isn't worth it for most people who struggle just to pay regular bills even if it is available to them, not to mention all the people that live in areas where anything that fast isn't even an option.

Speeds are all over the map in the US, and in many other countries it's even worse because even if they have crazy fast speeds, those speeds often come hand in hand with a monthly cap, at which point it's either shut off, throttled drastically, or forced into extremely expensive overage charges. People in countries with caps will NOT be able to download 30-50gb per game.

Then there's the obvious problem of storage space. If console designers were so anxious to usher in a digital distro model, they would be giving the appropriate amount of space to make it doable. Cloud storage of game installs is NOT the solution (at least not yet) because the afore-mentioned bandwidth issues would drastically impact being able to access and play games from the cloud.

Until there's fiberoptic running to the majority of these console producers' customer base, there really is no point in trying to push digital. Sure they can offer it for the privileged few whose speeds and pocketbooks make it feasible, but for the rest of us physical media will still be the go-to for a long, long time. Games are not like movies or music. Hell movies are still being released on disc. I expect games to be on disc for a good 5-10 years longer than movies are. CDs will be phased out first, which is currently happening. Next will be movies. Maybe in 15-20 years we'll be ready to phase out physical media games, but definitely not now.

qko

Consoles with 500GB HDD are the 4GB model of the next generation. 2TB model incoming after the holidays for:

$599!

Jk

Zushin

Yeah fuck that. Shitty internet in Australia is going to make digital download only future impossible at these sizes.

Top Bottom