• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 download ver on PS4/XO requires 50-60GB hard drive space?

I hope the "borrow/rent disc to install, then download the license so you no longer need the disc" feature works.

Oddly enough, if it does, it's probably because of leftover functionality from the original DRM plans for Xbox One, heh.

vg260

I don't get the problem with this, I'm doing this with my PC for years now. It's really not that big of a deal at least if your internet connection is up to the task, I find it way more convenient then having to manage dozens of discs. I mean if you planned to go digital with anything less then a 50+ mb/s connection you won't have a good time.

PC games haven't been commonly topping 50+ GB the past several years.

Derrick01

Banned
Guess I am buying games at retail for quite a while. No way am I going to spend an entire day downloading 50gb for each game.

gazele

Banned
So essentially (if this size is the norm) we can have 10 games on the hard drive at a time not including demos, smaller downloadable games, DLC or whatever, hmmm

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
What happens when you progress to the point that's still to be downloaded? Just wait? That's like having 1/5 of a beer then keeping it for later. No one does that. I'd rather have the whole thing downloaded completely than have to wait for it to buffer out.

What if the console scratches the disc and you have to drive all the way back to the retail store to get a brand new disc? That's a real hassle.

What if I have to change discs to move from game to game? That's no fun.

What if I lose my disc? Oh crap.

It's a trade-off. I prefer digital downloads.

Guys, the PS3 was getting up to 50GB in some games. Why is this surprising? 50GB is not even a lot of space anyways.
Neither is 1TB IMO.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Digital future
idsc3fW.gif

PC games haven't been commonly topping 50+ GB the past several years.

This is just a guess, but maybe the difference in file size is due to better data compression techniques available on pc? Although I can't see why consoles can't just adopt the most efficient ones available, so maybe it's the use of high resolution video files for cut-scenes? Then again I don't think there's much cut-scenes in NBA 2K14. You know what, I have no clue why there's such a big difference in file size.

pixlexic

Banned
8 gigs for the game... The rest for the uncompressed intro vid.

It's a basketball game. There isn't that much assets to it.

ACH1LL3US

Sony hasn't announced it. I imagine it could happen in a firmware update down the road. I 'll be getting external HDDs just like my Wii U.

I hope so bc I have found some real nice 4tb external hard drives that are USB 3.0 which I assume both consoles have.

brobban

When people relise just how much of a burden a 60GB next gen game download is gonna be, it'll dis-encourage them from DD.

For the following reasons:
1. The initial download time itself.
2. Bandwidth.
3. Having no option to back up the download.
4. If you can back it up, just how many and how expensive will all the external HDDs be?
5. If the internal or even external HDD fails, you need to download again.
6. MP will be useless when downloading. Or will be laggy.
7. If the download fails or becomes corrupted, how happy will you be to have to restart all over again?
8. Having it on disk is far and away more convenient than on storage. In all aspects.

1. Depends on your connection. If it's anything like Steam/Origin it should be ~1.5h in my case in my case
2. Non-issue for alot of people
3. Why would you, just download again.
4. Same as above
5. Yes
6. I would prefer to wait until it's completely downloaded
7. Probably pretty pissed, but why would it failed. Hasn't happened ever on XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin etc
8. I'm on the complete opposite corner

What I'm trying to say, is that for a lot of people it's a non-issue. And for the rest, the connections will only get better from here on.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Oh, true.

Was this confirmed to be working for launch?
PlayGo/Play as you download? Killzone is confirmed to be doing it.

"“There are a lot of PS4 platform features this game will make use of,” said Hulst. “Pretty much everything is there. Seemingly mundane features like PlayGo? We’ll make sure that works with this game, so you can start right away as the rest of the game downloads. We’ll do Remote Play. You can enjoy it on your Vita as well."

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/13/kil...-features-such-as-playgo-remote-play-on-vita/

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This means I will never buy a digital game, but I don't see it as a problem if I can save the retail copy on a hardrive.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
1. Depends on your connection. If it's anything like Steam/Origin it should be ~1.5h
Yeahhhhh you are overestimating the average internet connection by about 300%

And I'm on a high end plan with no caps, but even my internet goes weird if I pass 250 gbs a month. You're jumping from 9-16 gb games to 60 here.

ACH1LL3US

I don't get the problem with this, I'm doing this with my PC for years now. It's really not that big of a deal at least if your internet connection is up to the task, I find it way more convenient then having to manage dozens of discs. I mean if you planned to go digital with anything less then a 50+ mb/s connection you won't have a good time.

If you have been doing it for years on the PC you would know most pc games are not hitting the 50gb plus mark...

I have the fastest internet that Time Warner offers in my area, 50 mb/sec, and we all know that even if you have those speeds its up to Sony/ Microsoft servers and what they are able to output plus the heavy traffic on day 1 games.

This is a very different beast then what you have been dealing with PC games bc of the size of next gen games and the limit of HDD sizes.

When really thinking about it, 500gb is a joke for HDD sizes these systems come with.

brobban

Yeahhhhh you are overestimating the average internet connection by about 300%

And I'm on a high end plan with no caps, but even my internet goes weird if I pass 250 gbs a month. You're jumping from 9-16 gb games to 60 here.

Forgot to say "In my case". Will edit
Just saying that for a lot of people it won't be a big deal.

0_o holy shit, welp if every game is gonna be 30+ GB's then im all for a physical future

lol 50 gb on PS4, Bobcats are a waste of GB's, just take the entire team and stadium out.

The rest for the uncompressed intro vid.
That is what I was thinking. Now that we have blu-ray parity, 1080p videos incoming. Which, honestly, I am pretty stoked for. It was one thing I was always jealous of when going back to the 360 from my PS3.

Looking at these download sizes, how did Microsoft expect their original Xbox One game service to work? Even when thinking about play-as-you-download, 50GB+ is a huge amount of data. And in the USA the bandwidth is all over the place, so I'd be most concerned with those on the lower end of DSL or cable packages.

Yeah I didn't have a problem with swapping discs before and I really don't have a problem with swapping discs now.

Which one takes longer? Swapping a 60gb disc or swapping a 60gb download because your HDD is full after downloading five games?

TheSoviet

Neo Member
1. Depends on your connection. If it's anything like Steam/Origin it should be ~1.5h in my case in my case
2. Non-issue for alot of people
3. Why would you, just download again.
4. Same as above
5. Yes
6. I would prefer to wait until it's completely downloaded
7. Probably pretty pissed, but why would it failed. Hasn't happened ever on XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin etc
8. I'm on the complete opposite corner

What I'm trying to say, is that for a lot of people it's a non-issue. And for the rest, the connections will only get better from here on.

1. Bull. No way would a 60GB game be downloaded in 1.5Hours.
2. Yeah it is. Not everyone, especially in non Tier 1 regions, have the option or money for unlimited bandwidth.
3. Derp, installing it from a backup source locally is faster than downloading it.
4. Nope. In a few years time with big video games collection, backups will need to be stored some where.
5. Yeah, that's a bad thing. Well seen you have no argument for it.
6. Which means a long wait time. Not just yourself but others will slow broadband speeds.
7. Um, It's happened to me before and the GTA5 PSN issue was a fine example. Plus I've seen it happen to other people on Steam before.
8. Good stay there. Optical storage is by far and away the best medium for next gen.

And how can you speak on most people's behalf? Have you got proof to verify it all as being an "non issue". Or is this just more deluded optimism.

Mihos

Gold Member
Forgot to say "In my case". Will edit
Just saying that for a lot of people it won't be a big deal.

For some people it won't be, but I would say for even more it will be (I never planned on going digital, so I am on the 'won't be' side). I have a decent connection with the fastest connection time warner provides, but we will also have at least 2 systems in the house not including the normal load of having a family addicted to Netflix has. I would also wager that there will be some sort of backlash from the cable providers/ISPs if their bandwidth requirements jump insanely high on release days and with all this video sharing stuff they are integrating. That cost has to be made up somewhere, probably in higher rates. I say within a year, there will be a 'gaming tier' of service that will be offered and that all other tiers will be throttled or worse.

This battle has already started because of streaming services and the whole net neutrality thing.

Bsigg12

Do we know what kind of HDD PS4 supports?

I may need to get a 4TB desktop drive lol.

There is no way in hell a 4TB drive will fit, let alone anything bigger than 2TB. That said, we don't know the dimensions of the HDD slot but based on the size of the system it couldn't be using anything bigger than a 2.5 laptop slot.

All right so I'm gonna go and rebudget for launch day

Need a new HDD for my PS4 for sure

There is no way in hell a 4TB drive will fit, let alone anything bigger than 2TB. That said, we don't know the dimensions of the HDD slot but based on the size of the system it couldn't be using anything bigger than a 2.5 laptop slot.

I'm pretty sure you could use an 3.5" HDD for the ps3 you just had to keep it outside the ps3 as it wouldn't fit

I tried finding some of the configurations I've seen but no success

Connections would be fine as you can get a laptop sata to desktop sata cable, not sure what the upper limit on internal HDD space for the PS3 was though if it had a limit

gruenel

1. Bull. No way would a 60GB game be downloaded in 1.5Hours.

Umm... uncapped 100Mbit/s lines exist. I have one. I'm obviously in the minority, but speeds are only going to get faster.

So unless Sony's servers continue to suck, yeah I'll have my 60GB game in 1.5h.

I'm still going for discs though :D

dreamfall

With my inconsistent connection, it's going to be a long time before transitioning to download only.

30ish GB Max Payne 3 on PC was wild! But at least they've got a preload!

PC version is based on the current gen versions. Giant Bomb has a quick look on it.

huh didn't know that. This the only cross gen game where the pc version is based off old version?

Curious how much better the new one looks. The 2k bb games are pc are already quite good looking. any videos yet?

Bsigg12

All right so I'm gonna go and rebudget for launch day

Need a new HDD for my PS4 for sure

I'm pretty sure you could use an 3.5" HDD for the ps3 you just had to keep it outside the ps3 as it wouldn't fit

I tried finding some of the configurations I've seen but no success

Connections would be fine as you can get a laptop sata to desktop sata cable, not sure what the upper limit on internal HDD space for the PS3 was though if it had a limit

I'm sure the system itself will support the drive, it's more of making it fit. It just sounds, dirty, having a straight up drive laying near the system. At least external drives can look nice. That said, I'll definitely be slapping in a 1-2TB hybrid drive in my PS4 and attaching a huge external on my Xbox One once the support for game installs on the external is added. Though, I find it frustrating that both systems are only using SATA II for their internal drives.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Anybody planning to go digital for the next generation worth of games on PC, Xbox One, or PlayStation 4, best be prepared for massive download/install sizes compared to the current crop of games. It's going to balloon big time.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Unbearable downloads means no digital sales, no higher margins for studios, thus higher game prices, or less profits. Greeeaat.

Bsigg12

huh didn't know that. This the only cross gen game where the pc version is based off old version?

Curious how much better the new one looks. The 2k bb games are pc are already quite good looking. any videos yet?

Na, FIFA will be there too. Since they released the PC version of FIFA with current gen systems (and every other console imaginable) they didn't use the IGNITE engine for it so it doesn't look all that better than the PS3 or 360 versions.

PES though, damn that game is gorgeous.

Morzak

If you have been doing it for years on the PC you would know most pc games are not hitting the 50gb plus mark...

I have the fastest internet that Time Warner offers in my area, 50 mb/sec, and we all know that even if you have those speeds its up to Sony/ Microsoft servers and what they are able to output plus the heavy traffic on day 1 games.

This is a very different beast then what you have been dealing with PC games bc of the size of next gen games and the limit of HDD sizes.

When really thinking about it, 500gb is a joke for HDD sizes these systems come with.

I'm aware that pc games aren't 50GB at the moment. I didn't expect the games to hit 50+ GB, but somewhere between 20-40 GB was a realistic expectation. That the next gen consoles don't include at least a 1 TB hard drive is a joke... Maybe we will finally be past the point where games include horribly compressed cutscenes that have worse image quality then the game. For day one stuff, I would assume that they have pre load functionality in place on the next gen consoles, Also everything under 100 mb/s from their side is unacceptable, especially if you pay for their online service, Steam has no issues providing me with the max for my 150 mb/s connection and that would take me about 50 minutes to get a 50 GB game, which I find totally acceptable.

Top Bottom