• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ninja Gaiden 3 Details (60 FPS, 8 Player Multi, Co-Op/Versus, More)

Augemitbutter said:
hopefully they'll add an option to remove blood. it looks like they got carried away in that department.
Just hope for Sigma 3

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
He has some type of Virus in him. The rest of it is just blood.

Is it related to the
fiend Ryu
thing in Ninja Gaiden 1?

There's a lot of blood indeed. I'm happy that they're aiming at 60fps, I hope it will be more of a rock solid 60 fps like Ninja Gaiden Black, than the shitty 60fps of NG2 though. I'm not sure about the competitive mp though, especially after the horrible netcode of NGS2. I wish there were more details about the gameplay, I love NG's gameplay, but some stuff really needs to be tweaked, personnaly I think they should put less ennemies but enhance their AI, and find a way to get rid of abusable techniques like instant UT and Izuna drops. It's kinda cool to play, but it looks stupid. I can't wait for some nice gameplay footage at E3.

Totobeni said:
I think Engines have nothing to do with this, Hayabusa was slower because Hayashi made him slower along side with many other tweaks he made in sigma 2..

for example Ayane in Sigma 2 is way faster than the 360 NG2's Hayabusa.
I'm just talking about the combat in general. Engine was the wrong word to use.

EDIT: Saw the scans. SHIIIIIT! This looks GOOD. Let's hope the gameplay is up to par.

^
mad.gif

Ninjimbo

I want the option to fight with a staff so that I don't get to see any blood. NG2 was a great game, but the gore disturbed me.

Ninjimbo said:
I want the option to fight with a staff so that I don't get to see any blood. NG2 was a great game, but the gore disturbed me.
The staff will probably get upgraded to have retractable mace balls on the end ala NG2

Now people are bitching about too much blood? Goddamm die.

I hope this game shits on NG2 so haters can eat crow, and we can then copy pasta their avatars in the NG3 thread repeatedly.

Angry Fork

Metal Gear Rising killer confirmed.

No but seriously it sounds like they're gonna go all out. I'll especially be interested if there's Move support. If this game or MG: Rising has full blown Move support (and not tacked on) that's probably one of the few things that would get me to get the peripheral.

Hopefully, the blood won't tamper with the game's performance again. I thought that was the primary reason it was removed from Sigma 2.

Imo, the game doesn't need multiplayer since it always had a meaty single player campaign. Hopefully, it won't feel forced or tacked on.

No store makes me sort of sad. :(

In a hardcore action game such as this, I do not care about the story. If I want an award winning story, I would read a novel. A good, detailed story is just an added bonus for me, not mandatory.

Hopefully, it will at lest be good as NG2. I'm a little concerned about the changes, but we will see what happens.

X-Frame

I have a question ..

I can't remember the NG that I played but it was I think the first one released when the PS3 came out -- and I remember loving it EXCEPT for the ridiculous bosses that I faced all the time. All I remember fighting were giant worms and ugly creatures and that shit got really weird towards the second half.

I obviously don't know if things changed after that NG game but I hope so. I want to fight humans, other ninjas, samurai, etc.

Just my .02

Removing the store could be a good or bad thing... it's almost entirely dependent on how the karma system is designed. Which leads me to my next points - PLEASE for the love of GOD bring back the NGB karma system, with timed battles. The NG2 system was completely broken because you could milk every single enemy due to the lack of a timer. I will never do another torturous PotMN karma run for as long as I live because of this.

Competitive multiplayer could be interesting, but will most likely be worthless. And hopefully co-op isn't as awful as Sigma 2's.

I hope the game is good. I'd love nothing more than another good action game, because the genre is nearly dead as it is. But I don't think Hayashi has the talent to do it right. Prove me wrong, Team Ninja Dogs.

Jigsaw

Banned
hope this will be as good as sigma 2,my favourite action game of all time

played the sigma 2 co-op for well over 100 hours,can't wait for the new missions

too bad they never released any new missions in form of dlc

Luigiv

ShockingAlberto said:
Hayashi has yet to do anything original in a post-Itagaki Team Ninja.

While I think Itagaki is way, WAY overrated and am willing to give Hayashi a chance (I quite liked Dragon Sword), he is definitely afraid to to do anything on his own. Since Itagaki left, he's ported NG2 (many would argue for the worse), made Other M with Nintendo, and basically just "collected" the DOA games in to a 3DS title.

NG3 will be the first real test of whether he can make a completely original game without a more experienced developer taking the lead, but you're right, people are definitely willing to damn him before that ever happens. I'll wait and see myself.
You do realise Itagaki was very heavily involved in Dragon Sword right? It's hardly a metric for Hayashi's ability.

HYDE

Banned
Game's gonna fucking rock and it looks bloody brilliant bitches!

I can't wait to play as Katsumi.

doakatsumi.png

Zeliard

Ah, Team Ninja Dog. The crew known best for picking up Itagaki's scraps and somehow making them worse. Needless to say, my balls tingle with anticipation.

LordK said:
It's from Sigma 2.

Son of a bitch, so she's already managed to worm her way in.

Well if they're gonna show Kasumi they might as well show someone who doesn't suck (read: Hayate) and be done with it. That is, if they didn't already in Sigma 2 (never played it, have the 360 version).

AAK

Rhazer Fusion said:
In a hardcore action game such as this, I do not care about the story. If I want an award winning story, I would read a novel

A good narrative leads to better and more memorable villains & boss fights.

Examples:

578659_1303227652534_500_281.jpg

Dante_Vergil_1.jpg

You can't say the same for:

Genshin.jpg

Murai-ninja-gaiden-xbox.jpg

HYDE

Banned
AAK said:

Genshin and Murai are fucking awesome....don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Zeliard

Memorability can simply come in combat, not necessarily narrative. The first NG boss, Murai, is pretty damn memorable given that he infamously functions as a sort of litmus test. A lot of people give up on NG after getting to him and being unable to beat him.

HYDE

Banned
AAK said:
They are fun boss battles no doubt... but they lack the spectacle compared to Jeanne and Vergil.

Yeah, but you're comparing apples and oranges.

Ninja Gaiden is more like Zelda in this regard. You fight Fiend Ryu kind of like Link fights Dark Link.

Veelk

Banned
AAK said:

Actually, yes I can. Never before has a first boss spanked me so hard. He is burned into my memory forever. I remember most of the enemies in NGB, actually, especially the Vigoorian berserkers. I swear, those fuckers were tougher than most bosses in the game, yet they were somehow designated merely an elite enemy. No, Ninja Gaiden is a game that succeeds in it's gameplay alone, we do not need a focus on the story for it.

AAK said:
They are fun boss battles no doubt... but they lack the spectacle compared to Jeanne and Vergil.

And no shits are given. I don't remember vergil or Jeanne for their story influences either, btw. They were just good damn bossfights. The story was the cherry on top. Nice to have, but entirely unnecessary.

TripOpt55

Really looking forward to seeing some video of this. The upgrading sounds fine to me. I take it a weapon will upgrade depending on how much you use it?

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
There isn't much but a couple details are -

60 frames per second.
Blood is back.
Difficulty level won't be toned down for casual gamers.
There will be both competitive and cooperative modes. One or both will support up to 8 players.
The store is gone. Weapons will upgrade over time.
Greater emphasis on story.
May feature Move support.

Very happy with these features.

Zeliard

Generic said:
And no shits are given. I don't remember vergil or Jeanne for their story influences either, btw. They were just good damn bossfights. The story was the cherry on top. Nice to have, but entirely unnecessary.

That's essentially what Ninja Gaiden was. It was stripped down to its barest essentials (everything involving combat), with those essentials magnified and worked to a spit-shine polish.

NG had the hub and a slight adventuring element, but generally-speaking, the Ninja Gaiden games are basically arena-based fighters. You're placed in an arena, and your objective is to gloriously murder everything around you and in your path. I love stories in games when done well but I've also never felt NG needed it or would even benefit from it. I feel the exact same way about the Quake series, actually. It's the masterful combat gameplay that matters and anything else would possibly just detract, and distract.

And actually trying to stick some straight "we want people to know the real Ryu" storyline in there could rob the game of some of its most amusingly nonsensical elements. Is there any deep explanation needed for why you have to destroy that horde of werewolves in front of you? They're werewolves, they're in your way, they die, that is all. I don't need it attached to some mediation on the strength of the human spirit, just an excellent combat system.

AAK said:
A good narrative leads to better and more memorable villains & boss fights
A person who actually pays attention to the "narrative" (hard to really call it that) in these games I assume has never watched anything good in their entire life. They add nothing, and every minute of "narrative" detracts from the flowing and amazing gameplay.

The NEW Team Ninja's core is Team Sigma, a group founded on dedicated PS3 development. OG Team Ninja focused on 360 development until the mass exodus to Valhalla. I suppose it is safe to assume that the PS3 will be the lead platform, no?

Half of the details from the magazine concern me.

The co-op in Sigma 2 wasn't great, and throwing the single-player combat model into an 8 player versus mode could easily turn into a clusterfuck. They will need to spend a ton of time and resources to make it balanced and compelling. Or maybe that effort would be better spent ensuring the singleplayer of Bioshock 2 Ninja Gaiden 3 is as awesome as possible.

Greater emphasis on story can't possibly turn out well. Team Ninja just doesn't know how to add more story without removing control from the player. Keep it brief and skippable.

Move support sounds like a bad idea. I know "It's optional! More options are never bad!" If swinging the Move remote = swinging Ryu's sword than Hayashi has slowed Ninja Gaiden's combat to a level similar to a 3D Zelda. How do you perform this with motion controls? Now if they are making a dedicated mode or mini-game designed from the ground up for the Move, that's fine. But don't slow down/break the combat so that it works with waggle and a traditional controller.

Pachinko

So I gotta wonder, will this still be coming to xbox or now that Itagaki is gone will tecmo never again support the console ?

I own both so it really doesn't matter that much but I do prefer the xbox controller for this particular game.

Hayashi has to come into his own eventually and it seems this might be his first big game to prove to the world that he's capable of matching his masters work. This is his first truly independent work. (sigma games were ports, doa 3ds is a compilation/port, even metroid other M was heavily supervised by nintendo). Fingers crossed.

Llyranor

I really enjoyed Sigma 2 co-op, because it was NG + co-op. BUT 1) terrible netcode, 2) awful mission design with unchangeable difficulty settings per mission. If they had simply put in NG2's mission mode as is and added the co-op, it would have already been infinitely better. I am not yet confident in Sigma team's ability to craft new content.

Oreoleo

Pachinko said:
So I gotta wonder, will this still be coming to xbox or now that Itagaki is gone will tecmo never again support the console ?

It's a business. They would be incredibly short-sighted not to.

SHAZOOM

AAK said:

Examples:

Dante_Vergil_1.jpg

Genshin.jpg

I thought Genshin was pretty badass. Had a bit of a Raoh vibe going on.

onken

Played about an hour of NGS2 when I hit a bug and couldn't proceed. I really meant to go back to it but forgot in the end. Will one day though cos I loved the first one. Will no doubt end up getting this at some point.

AAK said:

Examples:

Dante_Vergil_1.jpg

Genshin.jpg

I do see what you are saying, but if the gameplay is terrible or boring, you might never get far enough to really learn more about the characters. Having good narrative and gameplay can help, but for me story is secondary and gameplay is top priority. Admittedly, it is more important in most RPG's for the obvious reasons. Also, I don't necessarily think good narration is required for memorable boss fights. Look at the boss fights in Demon's Souls for example.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
"There will be both competitive and cooperative modes. One or both will support up to 8 players.
The store is gone. Weapons will upgrade over time.
Greater emphasis on Ryu's story.
May feature Move support."

All this, sounds terrible right off the bat. A large portion aimed at the move support, which makes very little sense. I can't possibly see it working with waggle while retaining any sort of quick timing.

Good news is they are focusing on Ryu. All of Hayashi's creations have been terrible so far. The focus on a single one with an already strong framework done is good. They wouldn't have to do much ala DMC3-4, to bring him up to snuff. New weapons, moves, and so forth. It was the lack of balance in encounters which killed it.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
a Master Ninja said:
The NEW Team Ninja's core is Team Sigma, a group founded on dedicated PS3 development. OG Team Ninja focused on 360 development until the mass exodus to Valhalla. I suppose it is safe to assume that the PS3 will be the lead platform, no?

Half of the details from the magazine concern me.

The co-op in Sigma 2 wasn't great, and throwing the single-player combat model into an 8 player versus mode could easily turn into a clusterfuck. They will need to spend a ton of time and resources to make it balanced and compelling. Or maybe that effort would be better spent ensuring the singleplayer of Bioshock 2 Ninja Gaiden 3 is as awesome as possible.

Greater emphasis on story can't possibly turn out well. Team Ninja just doesn't know how to add more story without removing control from the player. Keep it brief and skippable.

Move support sounds like a bad idea. I know "It's optional! More options are never bad!" If swinging the Move remote = swinging Ryu's sword than Hayashi has slowed Ninja Gaiden's combat to a level similar to a 3D Zelda. How do you perform this with motion controls? Now if they are making a dedicated mode or mini-game designed from the ground up for the Move, that's fine. But don't slow down/break the combat so that it works with waggle and a traditional controller.
That video. My God.

robor said:
I've often wondered why people act like they'd die by the words of Itagaki and look up to his work in such a way that Hayashi's chance at even proving himself is utterly futile.

Does anyone else feel this is a severely misconstrued and unfair outlook on the new leader of Team Ninja?

Metroid: Other M didn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence in the new Team Ninja.

Top Bottom