• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS Hardware Info (Conference At 10 PST/1 EST Today)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
AceBandage said:
Well, OoT's music could be orchestrated as well.
Not like they won't have the card space for it now.
High-quality midis is all you're gonna get.

thefro

DeathbyVolcano said:
I'm pretty sure it's a general Nintendo conference regarding their next couple quarters to year long plans for the following year. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some more Skyward Sword stuff (I certainly hope we do, I'm excited as shit for it)

That's my assumption that it's a general conference that will happen to focus heavily on 3DS for obvious reasons. As I said earlier in the thread, Sakaguchi has been tweeting that he's going back to Japan this week.

It wouldn't make financial sense to have another event for The Last Story/couple Wii game announcements/new Zelda trailer when they're already renting out a building for this event. They do need to show people that some Wii games are still coming out so that they can at least hold their ground against PS3 until Nintendo is ready to launch the Wii successor.

The other possibility is the October 28th/29th quarterly results announcement, but that's going to be too late to get the hype train really going for TLS even if that's a December release in Japan.

Boney said:
Should we start a betting pool on wether Last Story is coming to the west or not?

:mad:

Considering the money Nintendo is sinking into this, I'd say it's a good bet.
I'm more worried about Xenoblade at this point.

sinxtanx

civilstrife said:
You're in luck. If the conference begins at 10:00 am on the 29th in Japan, that'll be 9:00pm on the 28th for us. (EST)

...right?
Nope, Sweden.

event begins 3 am

my lectures start 8 am

:(

Pimpbaa

Gravijah said:
I knooooow... What does OoT64 use?

Chip music of course. Game consoles either stream prerecorded music or sequence the music in real time on the consoles sound chip (chip music). If the console has no dedicated sound chip, it just does it in software on the cpu. There is no midi involved.

swerve

It's early morning on Sunday now in Japan. If we don't get a Nikkei scoop soon, then nothing exciting is coming out of this Wednesday.

Gravijah

Pimpbaa said:
Chip music of course. Game consoles either stream prerecorded music or sequence the music in real time on the consoles sound chip (chip music). There is no midi involved.

Fine, fine. I like my synthesized sounds. Orchestra is boooooooo.

Boney

Banned
AceBandage said:
Considering the money Nintendo is sinking into this, I'd say it's a good bet.
I'm more worried about Xenoblade at this point.
logic isn't fair game here. You'd be best following your gut.

swerve

KAL2006 said:
what time does the conference start for us british folks (UK time - BST)

Nintendo events are usually early-mid afternoon Japan time, so anywhere from 5-8am BST. By the time all the news is properly understood and the assets are around, it'll be time for work. There is the possibilty that your productivity for the day will be ruined with distraction.

brain_stew said:
Lets not be silly now, it absolutely has the least impressive library of any successful Nintendo console, I honestly didn't realise this was up for debate? I enjoyed plenty of games on my Cube, sure, but to pretend it represents anything more than Nintendo's historical creative low point, is incredibly naive. It didn't even have a decent Mario game ffs!
I'll take GCN over N64. It's true not all GCN games matched up to their N64 counterparts, but to me those that did and new franchises (or even entire companies/genres) that weren't around for N64 make up for it. SM64 over SMS, sure. But I'll take SMS, SSBM, Pikmin, Skies of Arcadia, and less-butchered multiplatform releases over SM64 and SSB.
Flying_Phoenix said:
I'm sure backwards compatibility was on their mind but looking at Nintendo's history, backwards compatibility doesn't seem to be that much of a dire requirement.
Right. "We don't have to take any risk on hardware." and "Old engines/dev tools will require no changes." seem to be the much bigger deals. If nobody from late 2005 to late 2006 was seeming enthused about Wii, they could've got away with launching it at $149, selling 10-20 million hardware units along with a few hundred million pieces of software, and still making a decent profit on the whole venture.
Teetris said:
What's known about the mic of this thing? Like to what degree can it recognize and stuff
It recognizes, but I'm not sure if it will give props.
Juice said:
All of that processing power, but no room for decent textures or artwork.
I really don't see textures being a problem. Significantly more memory than a GameCube, with games rendering at about a third of GCN resolution per eye if the focus is on the top screen.

Aeana

MIDI is simply a protocol used to transmit note data. "MIDI music" doesn't really exist. Lots of games use sequenced music that is similar in concept to MIDI, but most don't actually use that protocol -- in these cases, the game loads a sample library and sends note data to the sound chip (or simulated sound chip, in the case of systems that do it all in software) to produce the music. I expect a lot of people would be surprised to find out that the music in their favorite modern games was composed using a MIDI sequencer, and simply recorded.

Pimpbaa said:
I hate when people misuse the term midi when they are referencing chip music.
I don't like the misuse of "MIDI," either, but I wouldn't call sequenced music in video games on systems with wavetable synthesizers "chip music," either. Chip music is usually used to refer to music that's synthesized in real-time with basic waveforms (square/saw/triangle/sine waves) rather than wavetable synthesis.

Pimpbaa

Gravijah said:
Fine, fine. I like my synthesized sounds. Orchestra is boooooooo.

I like synthesized stuff too. But considering the supposed size of 3DS carts, I think developers are just gonna take the easy way out and stream pre-recorded music.

Gravijah

Aeana said:
I don't like the misuse of "MIDI," either, but I wouldn't call sequenced music in video games on systems with wavetable synthesizers "chip music," either. Chip music is usually used to refer to music that's synthesized in real-time with basic waveforms (square/saw/triangle/sine waves) rather than wavetable synthesis.

Yeah, you tell him Aeana! :*(

swerve

AceBandage said:
Nuuuu, no spoiling stuffs!!

Well, I'm just saying, DSi, NSMB, Wii Fit Plus, DSi XL... all the big Nintendo news from fall conferences and E3 have been spoiled on the Sunday before in the Nikkei. I don't see why the leak should have closed...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I like it when people bloat the importance of mobile phones over what Nintendo produces, as if the former is suddenly going to make the latter disappear. Its almost tradition with Nintendo systems; doom and gloom hyperbole prior to system launch. Its great.

Nintendo's business is 100% dependant on videogames. Unlike Sony, Microsoft, and pretty much every single hardware developer they have no other major source of revenue. Their gaming platforms fail, they fail. Their software fails, they fail. This is the company who had enough business savvy to look at their mistakes with the N64 and GameCube (neither of which were outright failures, mind you), and release the Wii. This is the company that took the DS to stardom.

They know the 'gaming' market arguably better than anybody, because their entire livlihood depends on it. Nintendo's business is about securing the gaming market as their own. At least, at this point, it is not about adopting the mobile market, or the mass media market, or anything like that. Securing Nintendo's future is about creating and nurturing a very specific and very large group of people. Smart phones and what-not will, one day, become somewhat of a problem, but Nintendo have already more than begun to lay the framework to protect them from unprecedented change.

The fact that people still buy Wii's and DS revisions is evidence of this. The 'gaming' market that Nintendo targets is still very much alive, and you can bet the moment it begins to falter they will re-evaluate their business and adopt a new strategy.

Pimpbaa

Aeana said:

I was just lumping it all together to simplify things, but you're right.

KAL2006

Banned
swerve said:
Well, I'm just saying, DSi, NSMB, Wii Fit Plus, DSi XL... all the big Nintendo news from fall conferences and E3 have been spoiled on the Sunday before in the Nikkei. I don't see why the leak should have closed...

cool so should we be expecting news this sunday?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
AceBandage said:
Your watch isn't set to Japan Time, pal.
Tried to find the "Japan Time" clock on Google but I found this instead:
capt.1059132117.japan_politics_xits104.jpg

Much better. Legislation brawl are freaking awesome. Didn't knew they had them in Japan :lol

swerve

DeathbyVolcano said:
I don't really understand why Nikkei would leak anything...it's not like this is E3.

They leaked the last two Nintendo Japanese fall conferences/surprises (DSi and its music features, bigger screens, DSi XLs bigger screens).

Basically, if there has been some big Nintendo news in the past 48 months, something about it has come out in the Nikkei a few days prior. They've already had good leaks about 3DS (software installs) so their sources are still in tact.

NSMBWii/WiiFitPlus:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363448

DSi:
http://kotaku.com/5055944/report-new-nintendo-ds-coming-this-year-with-camera-music-playback

DSiXL:
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/26/report-nintendo-updating-dsi-with-bigger-screens-this-year/

3DS installs:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/17/3ds_software_install/

swerve said:
They leaked the last two Nintendo Japanese fall conferences/surprises (DSi and its music features, bigger screens, DSi XLs bigger screens).

Basically, if there has been some big Nintendo news in the past 48 months, something about it has come out in the Nikkei a few days prior. They've already had good leaks about 3DS (software installs) so their sources are still in tact.

We still don't know if game installs are real, though.
And with 1.5GB onboard memory, that isn't looking good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom