• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS Hardware Info (Conference At 10 PST/1 EST Today)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cow Mengde said:
Seriously, in this very 3DS thread, people STILL don't understand the importance of battery life in a portable. I've always maintained that battery life is the number 1 concern for me with the 3DS. When I saw how good the graphics were, I was actually worried the battery life would be pretty bad. It's the more modest rumored specs that put my mind to ease.
Same here, I'm something of a long battery fetishist myself.

wwm0nkey said:
hopefully they start with the 3DS.

They're porting the GC/PS2 version of Splinter Cell and their Ghost Recon game looks right at home on the regular DS. I'm sorry, I really don't have any faith in Ubi Soft.

Vamphuntr

Bending_Unit_22 said:
Same here, I'm something of a long battery fetishist myself.

And you are right to be. I take my handhelds on the bus and subway all the time. I kinda save often becasue I always fear the battery is going to die :lol . I like to take my handheld out and not to be stuck near an eletric outlet.

dacuk

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Mario Kart 3DS and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS as launch software seems like a rather odd choice.

Launch is a great opportunity for Nintendo to release Steel Diver and Kid Icarus. Maybe add Nintendogs+Cats and you have a pretty strong line up. Then you schedule the other games accordingly.

Maybe, for a first time, Nintendo pretends to give third party the leading edge on platform launch software, to show them Nintendo is really interested on helping 3rd party flourish on one of its platforms this time.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Cow Mengde said:
They're porting the GC/PS2 version of Splinter Cell and their Ghost Recon game looks right at home on the regular DS. I'm sorry, I really don't have any faith in Ubi Soft.
What? It's not based on the Xbox/Pc version?

Sipowicz

Banned
Cow Mengde said:

they've got julian gollop on the ghost recon game. that's certainly a good omen if ever there was one

Vamphuntr said:
And you are right to be. I take my handhelds on the bus and subway all the time. I kinda save often becasue I always fear the battery is going to die :lol . I like to take my handheld out and not to be stuck near an eletric outlet.

I go through the exact same thing. I've had times when I forget to charge my battery and it died 1/4 way through an hour long bus ride. It really sucks.

I mean, people think it's blind Nintendo faith? How about blind Playstation faith to think the PSP would beat the DS while getting so much of what makes a great portable wrong? Even during the DS's time, people still think great graphics are going to beat out the DS. Again, people here in this thread are still saying the 3DS is going to be beaten by the iPhone or whatever mobile device because the graphics won't be able to keep up in a few years. I'll bet when the 4DS comes out in 2018, people will be saying whatever portable is going to kick its ass because it has better graphics.

they've got julian gollop on the ghost recon game. that's certainly a good omen if ever there was one

Isn't that just an assumption, though?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Supervlieg said:
Lol, yeah the game logic practically builds itself right :p

Btw, if nov 11 is true for japan, and next year for EU, it seems like ill be importing. Japanese consoles have a history of not being region locked, so who knows. Im not sure if this is also the case with the dsi.

Sadly, DSi is region locked, which isn't good for the 3DS being region free.

Little Green Yoda said:
I'm still unhappy that they're re-releasing OoT instead of doing the Master Quest version.
They really should be working on a Master Quest of MM though :p

Their re-release of OoT is supposed to have all kinds of new goodies, not just a straight port.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
The Mario Kart rumor makes sense. Nintendo reps in the US were allowed to play the 3DS at an event recently, with Mario Kart and Nintendogs as the two playable titles.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cow Mengde said:
Isn't that just an assumption, though?

- Creator of X-Com says he's working on a game that matches the exact description of Ghost Recon
- Creator of X-Com is working at the studio that is making Ghost Recon

... the alternate hypothesis, then, is that he's not working on Ghost Recon, and the exact same studio is working on a second turn-based strategy game for 3DS at the same time and he's working on that one?

ILikeFeet

Banned
Mutagenic said:
The Mario Kart rumor makes sense. Nintendo reps in the US were allowed to play the 3DS at an event recently, with Mario Kart and Nintendogs as the two playable titles.

wait, what event? because Mario Kart wasn't playable at E3

XPE

Mutagenic said:

Was mario kart a in game video or actual gameplay ?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
She told me it was in-game and she PLAYED it. This was an event held for representatives only, probably to educate them on the system.

Stumpokapow said:
- Creator of X-Com says he's working on a game that matches the exact description of Ghost Recon
- Creator of X-Com is working at the studio that is making Ghost Recon

... the alternate hypothesis, then, is that he's not working on Ghost Recon, and the exact same studio is working on a second turn-based strategy game for 3DS at the same time and he's working on that one?

I don't know, I only heard of the rumor about him working with Ubi Soft and didn't hear anything else beyond that. If so, then excellent. I'll definitely over look the graphics as long as the gameplay's there.

And damn you Stumpokapow for making me excited about a Ubi Soft portable game.

Gravijah

Stumpokapow said:

This obviously makes much more sense. You're a genius!

Aeana

Supervlieg said:
Lol, yeah the game logic practically builds itself right :p

Btw, if nov 11 is true for japan, and next year for EU, it seems like ill be importing. Japanese consoles have a history of not being region locked, so who knows. Im not sure if this is also the case with the dsi.
Huh? Most Japanese consoles in history have had some sort of regional lockout. Most handhelds haven't, but, well, the DSi does, so... :\

DR2K

Banned
BishopLamont said:
Anyone expecting OOT as a launch title is foolish.

Isn't it just an enhanced port of an N64 game? Don't see what could possibly be keeping that title in development.

Jzero

Does anyone else think the 3DS will look slightly different than what they showed at E3? i hope they smooth it out a bit.

DR2K said:
Isn't it just an enhanced port of an N64 game? Don't see what could possibly be keeping that title in development.
Miyamoto already said its much more than a remake and that they haven't really even started developing yet.

They're taking a page from Pokemon HG/SS and ripping one out of Mario 64. A proper remake is much more worth it than a simple port. Launch periods are the best time to launch new IP's or revive old ones.

Aeana

Jzero15 said:
Does anyone else think the 3DS will look slightly different than what they showed at E3? i hope they smooth it out a bit.
I think it's possible, especially considering what's been said about the dpad changing since E3.

Frillen

I don't care about Nintendogs or StarFox at all. I'm not too keen on Mario Kart either. Played Mario Kart DS to death, so I'm pausing that series for a while. So give me Kid Icarus, Paper Mario or OoT at launch!

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Jzero15 said:
Looking at the bottom of the unit, I doubt it was a mass produced model.

Gravijah

Frillen said:
I don't care about Nintendogs or StarFox at all. I'm not too keen on Mario Kart either. Played Mario Kart DS to death, so I'm pausing that series for a while. So give me Kid Icarus, Paper Mario or OoT at launch!

Shhh! Get out of here. Nintendo might hear you!

Hmm. I could see Nintendo launching the system with Mario Kart and either Animal Crossing/Nintendogs if they plan to show off their brand new online infrastructure and system right from the outset at launch. Hopefully we'll learn more about the online in a couple days, but if that's the case, then Mario Kart is obviously the key title to highlight a new online system.

If its not a lunch thing, though, then leave Mario Kart for next summer or something when the online system starts up. Have Kid Icarus and Star Fox as launch titles instead.

The M.O.B

Jzero15 said:

A lot of impressions said that it felt good in there hands, so im hoping they only make aesthetics changes.

DR2K said:

Yea, Nintendo said it hadn't really started on OoT 3DS - what was at E3 was a tech demo.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Jzero15 said:
I definitely hope so.

Mario Kart would be a good choice for a number of reasons. It's got mass appeal among various types of gamers, it's a great game to showcase both local and online multiplayer features, and a high-speed arcadey 60fps racing game would a great way to show off 3D effects.

ILikeFeet

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Mario Kart would be a good choice for a number of reasons. It's got mass appeal among various types of gamers, it's a great game to showcase both local and online multiplayer features, and a high-speed arcadey 60fps racing game would a great way to show off 3D effects.

Ridge Racer could also be for launch with 3D. I just hope it looks better

Gravijah

EmCeeGramr said:

Basically: It's fuckin' Mario Kart.

Boney

Banned
Frillen said:
We are talking about StarFox 64 here. So me no gets it.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Don't really care about the specs - what I've seen so far looks like a more than adequate jump from the NDS.

What really excites me about the 3DS is that it looks to hit that sweet spot for Japanese development - that mid-range size game that Japan does soooo well, like Suikoden!!

Also - I bet monster hunter at the very least goes multi-plat or jumps ship DQ style to Nintendo.

Boney said:
We are talking about StarFox 64 here. So me no gets it.
Everything pales in comparison when pitted against PAPER MARIO.

Kodiak said:
Don't really care about the specs - what I've seen so far looks like a more than adequate jump from the NDS.

What really excites me about the 3DS is that it looks to hit that sweet spot for Japanese development - that mid-range size game that Japan does soooo well, like Suikoden!!

Also - I bet monster hunter at the very least goes multi-plat or jumps ship DQ style to Nintendo.
Which Suikoden?

MH will come to the 3DS, one way or the other.

antonz

Cow Mengde said:
I think Brain Stew said it wasn't. I looked at some screens of the XB and PC version and it definitely doesn't look like it. Maybe it's early and missing the effects.

Honestly even if it based on the xbox/pc version I would have little faith in it. Ubisoft has shown little regard to actual effort beyond spewing Nintendo like quality mantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom