• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda Twilight Princess HD gameplay comparison, previews, screens

As long as Faron Woods doesn't look like a glittering mess, which so far looks like something that's been fixed......I'm going to like this HD version ;)

It's entirely possible they have. We'll just have to wait and see.

BUT WE HAVE TO ASSUME NOW! WE'VE BEEN ASSUMING THINGS SINCE THIS WAS ANNOUNCED. The coverage looks fantastic, Nintendo could have gone to a greater effort to tell us about the enhancements themselves but the remaster looks like one of the better ones I've seen. Nothing quite tops Halo 2 Anniversary but that was more on the remake side.

maxcriden

As someone who didn't love Wind Waker, even the small changes added up for me. The swift sail made the ocean travel a bit less tedious and I enjoyed the Miiverse functionality a lot. Nintendo at least doesn't just settle for a resolution bump with their remasters and I cannot wait for Skyward Sword HD. Meh come on, it'll happen :p

I don't think this one will happen. Best we can hope for is an HD up-res eShop release. Even then we know in the meantime we are getting a regular eShop release according to the same datamining that leaked this game. Skyward Sword, which you know I absolutely adore, is too reliant on 1:1 Wii Motion Plus motion controls to be remastered when so few have that controller, and when it's not the primary controller for the current or presumably future system. I suppose if we have a similar controller for a future system it could happen. But otherwise it will take such significant reworking I don't see it happening.

To me it's just more of an introduction to the world and story. It also has tutorial elements. That's why I said it isn't strictly a tutorial. Many say "Twilight Princess has like a 5 hour tutorial" but surely they're including even the first dungeon in that claim, so I guess the first dungeon is a tutorial too. I'm just saying it's more than just a tutorial; in hindsight my "it's not a tutorial" quote was wrong, I just mean it isn't JUST a tutorial, it serves multiple purposes.

I completely agree. By this same token, Nintendo won't ever make the opening section of a story-heavy game optional, even if they've released the game many times before. It's just not their thing.

The rupee messages are still there, but they are shorter and faster, it seems. I do wonder though if they reappear after every reboot.

Fingers way crossed that they do not. ☺

We know why already, we've been over that bit when WWHD came out. It has to do with their animation being designed for 30fps or something in that ballpark.

Not only that, but in addition we know from interviews I believe that the Zelda team feels 30 fps is sufficient for console Zelda games and aims for visual fidelity otherwise rather than 60 fps (and I think they're right, console Zelda gave great gamefeel as is).

Yeah, we might guess what happened to that dungeon (being ''cut''), but we don't know their reasoning for ommitting content. So I wouldn't call it lazy personally. However, I do feel like something should have been there, esspeccially in the remaster.

There is something new, though. They added a new dungeon. That's more than we have gotten from any other Zelda remaster. I understand your frustration esp. in regards to locking content behind amiibo, though.

So they literally just slapped the Wii version in there? lol

They didn't slap a Wii version in. Hero Mode is in HD also so they didn't separately remaster the two games. It is odd, though. I suppose they remastered the Wii version and flipped it for the main mode, and then forgot to or chose not to change the aiming animation? No...that doesn't make sense. I guess they remastered the GCN version then and...hmm...flipped it for Hero Mode and...
Oh, maybe they didn't have the first person Mode set up at all for right-handed Link so as a workaround they stuck with the original over-the-shoulder perspective. I bet that's it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Looks fine. I'm still massively disappointed a lot of the tech improvements from Wind Waker HD never made their way in, where most would have been more beneficial to TP over WW in the first place, but what can you do.

TP could be my favourite Zelda but I won't be picking this up right away. I've already played through the game five or six times and did a 100% run in Dolphin only a year or two ago.

After playing WWHD last year, I have to say this game doesn't look great visually. I beat the GC version when it was released and haven't revisited this game since.

I'll pick it up and give it a go, but I'd be lying if I said I was excited for this remaster.

Banned
So, has Nintendo said anything about the digital release? I don't buy amiibo, or retail for Wii U, so I want to be able to access the hidden dungeon without buying the disc and amiibo.

Berordn

So, has Nintendo said anything about the digital release? I don't buy amiibo, or retail for Wii U, so I want to be able to access the hidden dungeon without buying the disc and amiibo.

Every digital release for games featuring amiibo thus far is identical to the disc release, so don't go in expecting anything.

Banned
You going to buy a Wii U for it?

Re-buy you mean. And yes. I missed out on the 2015 games. While Mario Maker isn't my thing Splatoon just looks like so much fun, Yoshi's Wooly World looks gorgeous and Xenoblade Chronicles X is like my dream RPG (mechs and sci-fi and aliens). Also, #FE battle system is great based off what I've seen and TPHD is a must buy for me being a Zelda fan.

tesla246

There is something new, though. They added a new dungeon. That's more than we have gotten from any other Zelda remaster. I understand your frustration esp. in regards to locking content behind amiibo, though.

That dungeon is
super dissapointing
, from what I have seen, it is just
a few recycled rooms of cave of ordeals with enemies in wolf link, that's it.
. My point was however, that they have not fixed the gnarling flaws of each game; TP sure as hell didn't need anything extra dungeon wise, but rather anything in the overworld, yet got a new ''dungeon''. Whereas Wind Waker would've benefitted greatly from a water dungeon and a surrounding story.

TheMoon

Here's your list of options:

Buy NA retail version which always comes with amiibo
Buy eShop version and wait for eventual standalone amiibo release in NA (will definitely happen)
Buy eShop version and import amiibo from PAL region where it's sold separately
Buy eShop version and import amiibo from Japan where it's sold separately
Buy eShop version and do not buy an amiibo and don't access the Cave of Shadows <- what you'll have to do given what you said

That's it. :)

amiibo content is never made accessible any other way (Super Mario Maker's CRT filter being the sole exception)

TheMoon

I think the most important question of everyone's mind is, will Roll Goal use the gamepad's motion controls?

Safe bet: yes - at least in one version (Hero Mode).

Maybe they offer both. It just makes too much sense and was already in there from the Wii version. I just hope it's a bit easier now :D

Just did the heartpiece and bait last year. Shit was tough.

This is really TP, the highest high you can achieve with the lowest lows you can imagine!
It depends on what you remember more, the fucking gigantice empty plains or the beautifully crafted interiors :p

I can attest to that.
Even the game on Wii blown up to 480p can't hide the beautiful game underneath, it's really gorgeous as it is.
A HD remaster would be identical on the gamepad to boot.

Vvwn2YP.jpg

Yeah, look at this. Yeah, the closeup textures aren't super sharp, but it fits the style perfectly. Maybe they can add more dynamic shadows like WWHD, but otherwise, it looks amazing.

TheMoon

Vvwn2YP.jpg

Yeah, look at this. Yeah, the closeup textures aren't super sharp, but it fits the style perfectly. Maybe they can add more dynamic shadows like WWHD, but otherwise, it looks amazing.

Skyward Sword is this decades Wind Waker. People threw so much shit on that game's visuals alone and I never got why. It's objectively gorgeous.

KingBroly

Banned
Skyward Sword is this decades Wind Waker. People threw so much shit on that game's visuals alone and I never got why. It's objectively gorgeous.

Because on the Wii it has lots of visual problems, particularly in darkened areas. Also, since it's not HD it doesn't look anywhere near as good as it should.

maxcriden

This is exactly what I mean; contrary to poular belief, nintendo does listen to its fans, and fans demanded a hero mode after TP/SS , and a hero mode from the start after WWHD. Now let's be honest here, this is a remake targeting the zelda audience and newcomers alike, thats why nintendo added a hero mode. And improved on it by adding it from the get-go. My point is that, if amiiboo never existed, we would've seen a hero mode from the start either way, accessible for everyone/older fans that wishes to choose the added difficulty for a game they have already played. Either way, I cannot prove this, so you ''win'' this argument.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but Skyward Sword does have a hero Mode unlockable.

I know, and that's the issue I have with hero mode. I thought it would be like WW HD where the orientation wouldn't change.

I feel like double damage is too little of an upgrade for a game like TP. I mean, what did the final boss deal to you, a half-heart of damage or something? Double of that is still laughable and considerably lower than most other late-game zelda enemies. I remember early-game enemies dealt something ridiculous like a 1/4 heart of damage, so even with the upgrade they won't even deal a full heart of damage.
They should've quadrupled damage at the very least.

Being forced to go through the mirrored version of the world on Hero Mode is also somewhat of a disappointment considering I only played the Wii version and was looking forward to playing the game with its original, intended perspective. The changes also aren't quite what I was expecting, specially graphics-wise. I guess WW HD set my expectations too high.

Oh well, I'll still buy it eventually. Maybe. If I have money to spare.

It sounds like the Ganondorf amiibo and/or (as others have pointed out upthread) Zora armor, in normal mode, would make a play through more enjoyable for both of you. &#9786;

Hero Mode being flipped was already a massive disappointment for me, but now it is literally just the Wii version? With Link being right-handed and no first-person aiming?

uggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

Reposting this from above, if it makes you feel a bit better:

maybe they didn't have the first person Mode set up at all for right-handed Link so as a workaround they stuck with the original over-the-shoulder perspective. I bet that's it.

I'm not sure why they chose to use the right-hand model, though, other than thinking this would be replicate the Wii experience for those interested in that.

May buy a Wii U finally to play this. This is in my top 5 Zelda games. But at same time wonder if I should wait on NX. Do not like how Nintendo is doing this.

It probably won't be on NX for a long time. Backwards compatibility is thought to be unlikely based on presumed architecture for NX.

There's no question that the more realistic, more classic epic fantasy that TP was going for resonated more than whatever they tried to do with WW or SS.
And it shows with how they're framing Zelda U (one day we'll get the full title!)

I'm hoping Zelda U does resonate with the West. The style is somewhere between Skyward Sword and Wind Waker in aesthetic. It does seem to--from the limited amount of the game we've seen--be in a more epic fantasy vein as you said, and I hope that helps foster appeal in the West, but I'm concerned the anime style will not appeal to most PS/X gamers who might be more swayed into buying a system for the game if it had a different art style. (But Zelda U looks gorgeous so...I definitely don't want the art style changed! I'm just lamenting the likely poo-pooing it will get from many Western gamers.)

Rodin

This is really TP, the highest high you can achieve with the lowest lows you can imagine!
It depends on what you remember more, the fucking gigantice empty plains or the beautifully crafted interiors :p
Twilight Princess looks amazing. When it came out it was technically one of the top 2-3 games in its generation.

I take back what I said about bad trailers, this official Nintendo trailer is really great. I might buy it now :O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ac-PGCfxFE
DAMN. That was amazing. This is how they should've revealed the game.

Yup. Agreed.

Damn now I want SS HD too
Same. Would look insane with Zelda U lighting

tesla246

Alltough I do a gree with Skyward sword being absolutely gorgeos, I think the difference between Wind Waker and Skyward Sword was that the gamecube's technical resources where perfectly allocated for the things Wind Waker was trying to achieve both stylistically and gameplay wise.
Skyward Swords water painting effect, however beautifull it was, ultimately feels like it was limited by the wii hardware and resolution; a water-painted style really could have been something on the WiiU realizing its full potential.

But I did like Skywards Sowrd style from the beginning, felt like a perfect compromise between cell-shaded Wind Waker and the more realistic artstyle of Twilight Princess, while still managing to feel original and fresh. The game itself on the other hand...;)

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but Skyward Sword does have a hero Mode unlockable.

Yes, my point was nintendo historically keeps improving such little things (TP no hero mode>SS hero mode after finsish>TPHD hero mode available from the start) long before amiibo was introduced, yet is now locking things that previously would have been standard behind amiiboo. Anyway, thread has moved on from this, so let's not go to off-topic here.

Really? I don't remember anyone complaining about the graphics all that much. Yeah, there were minor complaints here and there, but the overall reaction was very positive as I recall.

TheMoon

Really? I don't remember anyone complaining about the graphics all that much. Yeah, there were minor complaints here and there, but the overall reaction was very positive as I recall.

The collective meltdown was split between visuals and motion controls which is why it wasn't as focused as WW's Celda whining.

I wish Hero mode didn't mirror the game like the Wii version. I prefer the GC layout, but want Hero mode.

Fuck sake Nintendo. Why can't we have both?

Shaanyboi

Banned
The inherent limitations of the system really fuck the game's artistic ambitions over. I remember a part in a dungeon where you are running on top of a mound of bones... but instead of modelling the ground, it's a featureless surface with a very bad basic texture pattern on top.

Skyward Sword has great colour and design but being on the Wii ruined alot of it. They should reattempt this artistic approach.

takriel

The inherent limitations of the system really fuck the game's artistic ambitions over. I remember a part in a dungeon where you are running on top of a mound of bones... but instead of modelling the ground, it's a featureless surface with a very bad basic texture pattern on top.

Skyward Sword has great colour and design but being on the Wii ruined alot of it. They should reattempt this artistic approach.
They're kind of doing that with Zelda U, although we haven't really seen much of the game's art style yet.

Top Bottom