• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda Twilight Princess HD gameplay comparison, previews, screens

Kiru

I don't remember SS being so pretty.
It looks good in HD, but that picture above also has added contrast.
Some old gaf post comparing Wii & Dolphin 1080p:
Here is a comparison of Wii native res vs. 1920x1080. I've scaled the 640x480 image up so it's a comparable size.
dolphin2011-11-2721-5juulx.jpg

dolphin2011-11-2721-5cwu07.jpg

And here is an album of images in and around the area of dungeon 4. Possible spoilers.

rhandino

Banned
Those Skyward Sword seem pretty (unsurprising tbh considering that Skyward Sword is one of the prettiest game in the series) but... did they disabled the filter that gave the objects at the distance an effect that made the background look like a painting?

Kiru

Those Skyward Sword seem pretty (unsurprising tbh considering that Skyward Sword is one of the prettiest game in the series) but also kind of for me, they disabled the filter that gave the objects at the distance an effect that made the background look like a painting?

Yeah that is disabled in that one shot. I guess because it looks weird in dolphin, like double picures:

dolphin2012-12-0800-2hidve.png

During the Skyward Sword Promo even Nintendo released some HD bullshots for the game. Still look the best to this day. Would look really great as a HD remaster with some better textures in some places:

Examples:
RVL_ZeldaSS_04ss04_E3.png

RVL_ZeldaSS_08ss13_E3.png

RVL_ZeldaSS_08ss08_E3.png

More here

TheMoon

Those Skyward Sword seem pretty (unsurprising tbh considering that Skyward Sword is one of the prettiest game in the series) but also kind of for me, they disabled the filter that gave the objects at the distance an effect that made the background look like a painting?

Yea Dolphin used to have or maybe still has problems replicating that effect. That was the case at some point at least. I don't really keep up with this stuff.^^

Servbot24

Banned
Still don't know what they were thinking with those trees. Just having spheres with painted textures would have looked better even.

rhandino

Banned
Yeah that is disabled in that one shot. I guess because it looks weird in dolphin, like double picures:

dolphin2012-12-0800-2hidve.png

Yea Dolphin used to have or maybe still has problems replicating that effect. That was the case at some point at least. I don't really keep up with this stuff.^^
Oh yeah, thanks for the answers!

I know some people that really didn't liked that effect but I thought that it was pretty and gave the world a great atmosphere in most places like the Faron Woods or the Lanayru Desert.

jblank83

I know some people that really didn't liked that effect but I thought that it was pretty and gave the world a great atmosphere in most places like the Faron Woods or the Lanayru Desert.

I bought the disc on release and played through Skyward Sword only on Dolphin. I used the background effect and thought it looked nice. At the time I felt it was very comparable to the rendering on Wii. Not sure if the rendering has changed since then, given the years and multiple builds of Dolphin.

Skyward Sword is this decades Wind Waker. People threw so much shit on that game's visuals alone and I never got why. It's objectively gorgeous.

Criticism of the graphics was a passing phase. There was far more criticism of the game's motion controls, imo. That and criticisms of the game's pacing/level design have proven more enduring than the game's graphics.

TheMoon

Oh yeah, thanks for the answers!

The effect is great and actually an integral part of the watercolor art style that influenced this game's look.

Those Skyward Sword seem pretty (unsurprising tbh considering that Skyward Sword is one of the prettiest game in the series) but... did they disabled the filter that gave the objects at the distance an effect that made the background look like a painting?

Dolphin can not handle that effect. Dolphin has weird graphical glitches in many games. So no one should think when playing a Wii game in Dolphin it is like the developers intended it to be. Framerate drops, false textures, weird sound and music and graphical glitches are in for almost every game.

trixx

Skyward sword is a beautiful game. Played it on my wii and I thought it was good looking.

The trees though =/

atbigelow

Drops to 24FPS in that fog area in the woods for like, a second.

Never understood why fog causes so many performance issues.

Most likely all the additional alpha blending the GPU now has to do. Can't cull as much geometry and then you have to draw over it and blend properly.

EDIT: I am also really sad they didn't update the music some. TP has some really good music held back by the sampling. Just check out how beautiful the Zelda Anniversary TP medley is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kSKRFxo3rQ

AdanVC

Oh wow. What the hell was Nintendo doing with their b-roll footage??? It look leagues better now.

It does it all the time. The best example was when Super Mario 3D World was revealed at E3 Everyone was not that impressed with that trailer and even some people were claiming this was going to be the weakest looking 3D Mario.... But then Nintendo uploaded a second trailer months later and boy the critics and opinions about how monotone this new 3D Mario will look were over. And it is now one of the best looking games on Wii U with it's Pixar-esque and colorful as hell graphics.

Toparaman

Banned
Watching the Polygon video, I wouldn't be surprised if I enjoy TP HD more than I enjoyed the original back in the day. This is how TP should've looked when it came out. That might be too little too late for some folks, but I'm glad that there is finally a version that more fully captures the children's fantasy storybook aesthetic the developers were going for.

Most likely all the additional alpha blending the GPU now has to do. Can't cull as much geometry and then you have to draw over it and blend properly.

EDIT: I am also really sad they didn't update the music some. TP has some really good music held back by the sampling. Just check out how beautiful the Zelda Anniversary TP medley is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kSKRFxo3rQ

IMO this is the saddest past of the whole port. I would have loved they had updated the music.

tbd

40 minutes Hero Mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0GVoRBUzpE

Goddammit, this port makes TP a 11/10 game. Not only will Hero Mode make us actually struggle which is amazing, it also looks better than expected. I could swear there is a new lighting in this one forest area if I wouldn't know better.

Kinda hate myself for just having finished it on Dolphin literally the week it was leaked. Should have waited just a bit longer.

137071_wiiu_zeldatp_pnoubx.jpg

Thanks for posting that, it helped me confirm what I already suspected. IGN's comparison, while great, looked a bit washed out, and I'm certain was recorded with incorrect black levels. The immediate giveaway is the black bars that appear when the cutscene letterboxes, they aren't pure black in IGN's captured footage, whereas they are in Gamexplain's. If anyone was worried about this remaster looking washed out, I think this should put your fears to rest.

Gamexplain's captured footage on the left, IGN's on the right.

Hzh6x4K.jpg

RomanceDawn

Thanks for posting that, it helped me confirm what I already suspected. IGN's comparison, while great, looked a bit washed out, and I'm certain was recorded with incorrect black levels. The immediate giveaway is the black bars that appear when the cutscene letterboxes, they aren't pure black in IGN's captured footage, whereas they are in Gamexplain's. If anyone was worried about this remaster looking washed out, I think this should put your fears to rest.

Gamexplain's captured footage on the left, IGN's on the right.

Hzh6x4K.jpg

Oh good! Now it seems I aint got nothing to worry about!

I've been hating on this game for so long and now I can't wait to give it another try.

Doctre81

So is the lighting so different in the first scene because they happened at different times of day or are they just doing their best George Lucas impression?

Hard to tell because if you look the wii version later matches the wiiu versions lighting a few second later.

Golnei

Not digging how they've removed the sunset in this section:

Or the "twilight", if you will.

Isn't that one of the cutscenes which reflects the in-game time of day? If it's the one that plays before you enter the Palace of Twilight, I definitely remember having it play at night rather than sunset.

IMO this is the saddest past of the whole port. I would have loved they had updated the music.

It is, just as missing improved lighting, another disappointing part of the remaster. They should have done it like WW HD, updating the instruments, WW HD sounds beautiful and clear now while TP HD still relies on MIDI instruments back from 2006.

Huh? It looks like the sun shafts and bloom is missing, why did they remove lighting instead of making it looking better? But if its one thing I really like about the remaster, its the updated geometry. You can really see it in this shot. As I said before, this remaster could actually look great, but it wasted potential so many times.

It is, just as missing improved lighting, another disappointing part of the remaster. They should have done it like WW HD, updating the instruments, WW HD sounds beautiful and clear now while TP HD still relies on MIDI instruments back from 2006.

Huh? It looks like the sun shafts and bloom is missing, why did they remove lighting instead of making it looking better? But if its one thing I really like about the remaster, its the updated geometry. You can really see it in this shot. As I said so many times, this remaster could actually look great, but it wasted potential so many times.

People complained about the bloom a lot in the original release, I imagine thats a reason.

Aren't all the TP cut scenes affected by the day time?
Yeah I believe they are.

People complained about the bloom a lot in the original release, I imagine thats a reason.

Yeah I believe they are.

I know, but the blur was part of the art style of TP, it gave the game a dreamy like atmosphere, which lacks it now imo, especially in the Twilight parts of the game.

But whats the reason for removing light shafts?

@Skyward Sword

yes, it looks very pretty in HD, my only problem with the art style is that in serious moments its more goofy and purple than dark. But aside from that, its absolutely gorgeous indeed.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I know, but the blur was part of the art style of TP, it gave the game a dreamy like atmosphere, which lacks it now imo, especially in the Twilight parts of the game.

But whats the reason for removing light shafts?

@Skyward Sword

yes, it looks very pretty in HD, my only problem with the art style is that in serious moments its more goofy and purple than dark. But aside from that, its absolutely gorgeous indeed.

I was just replying about the day time. Cant see the pics right now ;p

Btw they redid some models like that mirto or epona imho

About SS I would like it in hd honestly
The issue I have is that the price should be 50 with the amiibo imho

Not digging how they've removed the sunset in this section:
My first time playing the game (GC version) that cutscene took place at night. Also if i remember correctly there's a speed up time transition when you reach that part.

People making the comparisons should be aware that time of day plays an important role in how the game looks. For example, draw distance is reduced during the morning because the game renders some ambient fog. The first Gameexplain comparison ignored this and caused some confution.

The light shafts are also dependant of time of day. However, in the picture im not sure if that the reason why they are missing.

Nanashrew

Banned
It does seem difficult to get just the right time of day or night in most comparisons. Largely because of being short on time and you want to post these quickly, and if they get the wrong time they'd probably have to redo it and rerecord it. You can enter into many different cut scenes at any point in the day or night for different atmosphere.

I got this in WWHD as the morning was coming up. Probably harder to replicate for example.

Also sometimes in Zelda games, if I know them well, I like to wait for a certain time of day before entering a cut scene just for a unique atmosphere that I like more of or just something else for a different change of pace.

i searched for any TP:HD videos with the early stages of the game since there are scenes with them due to time of day.

The Light Shafts are present but in a more subtle manner, as they should.

Another thing that i might be wrong about, is that for example, if an structure was supposed to represent an arc, this time it looks a more smooth. i haven't checked this thoroughly, but that's the impression i got from some of the interior scenes.

jariw

Another thing that i might be wrong about, is that for example, if an structure was supposed to represent an arc, this time it looks a more smooth. i haven't checked this thoroughly, but that's the impression i got from some of the interior scenes.

Correct, one of the GameXplain comparison videos some time ago showed that they increased the polygons for some of the round structures (arcs and round pillars were shown).

Mistle

Isn't that one of the cutscenes which reflects the in-game time of day? If it's the one that plays before you enter the Palace of Twilight, I definitely remember having it play at night rather than sunset.

That scene might be dependent on time of day.
Ah, right! Of course. Not sure why that didn't cross my mind.

Huh? It looks like the sun shafts and bloom is missing, why did they remove lighting instead of making it looking better? But if its one thing I really like about the remaster, its the updated geometry. You can really see it in this shot. As I said before, this remaster could actually look great, but it wasted potential so many times.
This is odd though. Hope it's just a time of day thing also.

Correct, one of the GameXplain comparison videos some time ago showed that they increased the polygons for some of the round structures (arcs and round pillars were shown).
Was that the pillar in Sky Temple?

The ones i saw recently were inside one Ordon House and at the base of the Twilight Mirror.

It seems they did this here and there, not globaly. The arches at the temple of time look exactly the same in terms of polygon count.

Now, im not sure about the Mirror of Twlight cutscene. The Gamexplain comparison doesn't seem to be taking place at night, yet there's a marked differnce in the screne's color tone.

i don't understand something:

For managing items they are using a "Drag and Drop" interface. This is ok since people are familiar with it. However, due to the Gamepad's touch screen nature, they should allow a "Tap & Drop" functionality:

The player taps the item needed and then either taps the (Y, X or R) button or the slots to assign it to.

It's a lot more efficient. i know i saved a ton of time in Majora's Mask this way.

Also i wonder if having Midna assigned to L would end up been the best solution. i think L to switch from map to inventory as in Wind Waker was the best thing to do. You can retain full control of Link's movement while browsing either the map or inventory.

Edit: This was from the Gamepad functionality thread but is not active anymore.

Top Bottom