• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 12 |OT| What Are You Thankful For?

Looking forward to the game this weekend, I don't think Miami can beat the Pats but I'm interested to see how well they compete.
It will be a good learning experience for Tannehill but I don't expect the Dolphins to compete for very long. Honestly I think the Pats will win by at least 20+, but you never know with these divisional games.

The problem is I just can't see a way for the Dolphins to compete. Their secondary is by far the weakest part of their team and that's bad news against the Pats. The Pats also have a strong run D which should allow them to sit back in coverage against Tannehill and make life difficult for him. The Dolphins just don't match up well with the Pats on either side of the ball.

It will be a good learning experience for Tannehill but I don't expect the Dolphins to compete for very long. Honestly I think the Pats will win by at least 20+, but you never know with these divisional games.

The problem is I just can't see a way for the Dolphins to compete. Their secondary is by far the weakest part of their team and that's bad news against the Pats. The Pats also have a strong run D which should allow them to sit back in coverage against Tannehill and make life difficult for him. The Dolphins just don't match up well with the Pats on either side of the ball.

Run D has shown some flaws last couple of weeks. Bills ran well against them, Colts had some longer runs as well. Bill will probably attack Tannehill the same way he came after luck, send 5 guys at him all game and try to force a mistake.

Who are you hoping the Eagle get?

I have no idea, I want a young OC or DC. I was leaning towards Ray Horton, but the NFL is so what have you done for me lately that I think the Cards losing streak might knock him out of the running. I have a ton of respect for Mike Zimmer, he seems like a great motivator and a guy that does more with less then a lot of other guys.

Edit: I know Zimmer is 56 and not young but young would be nice but it isnt the be all end all. Roseman i staying as GM so they need someone that can work well with him.

eznark

Banned
I have no idea, I want a young OC or DC. I was leaning towards Ray Horton, but the NFL is so what have you done for me lately that I think the Cards losing streak might knock him out of the running. I have a ton of respect for Mike Zimmer, he seems like a great motivator and a guy that does more with less then a lot of other guys.

Those are actually really solid names. I wonder if any up and comer will be willing to take on Vick.

Apparently the Kansas City Chiefs wanted Peyton's autograph.

After watching what's become of the Kansas City Chiefs this season, coach Romeo Crennel's offseason pursuit of Peyton Manning makes plenty of sense.

Romeo, we're learning, is not the only man in the building who appreciates what Manning brings to the table.

Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles was caught on camera asking the five-time All-Pro quarterback for his autograph in the parking lot following Sunday's 17-9 loss to the Denver Broncos.

"Man, my mama wanted his autograph," Charles told KCTV-TV.

He wasn't alone in fawning over Peyton. Chiefs receiver Dwayne Bowe cozied up to the quarterback, according to ArrowheadPride.com.

"It's a legend, I guess," Bowe said after the fact. "It's Peyton Manning. Who wouldn't want a picture with him? If you had an opportunity, would you take it?"

"Yeah, I'd like him to throw me passes, too," the reporter said.

"That, too, but right now the best thing I have is a picture, so I'll live with that," Bowe said.

This all unraveled on local television in Kansas City. Not a pleasant scene for fans hoping the 1-10 Chiefs might show a little fight down the stretch. Maybe squeeze out a win or something against a bitter rival? Knock off the Broncos for old time's sake? Too much to ask? Hello?

Could you imagine Dwayne Bowe on a team with an actual QB like the Broncos?

Bowser

Ha, we're on a totally different spectrum when it comes to our respective teams. I'm done with coordinator types, specifically defensive coordinators. It's basically all we've hired in the franchise's short history and I'm ready for something outside the box, such as David Shaw (pls pls pls) or a ST coach like the 49ers Brad Seely or the Bears Dave Toub.

Pls god no to Mike McCoy or Bruce Arians. I wouldn't mind Mike Zimmer or Greg Roman though (think I'd prefer Roman to Zimmer however).

bionic77 said:
Use him up and plan for the future.
What's left to "use up" is the question? I don't see Vick returning to the Eagles, personally.

I'm surprised Vic Fangio doesn't get more mention considering the work he's done with the Niners defense.

I think Vick is on the downside of his career. Use him up and plan for the future. That is the smart thing to do.

Vicks cap hit next year is $18m if the Eagles pick up his roster bonus. I expect him to be cut, and possibly resigned for less but it is always possible a team like the Raiders throw big money at him.

Bowser it is funny how that works. Eagles need a tough no nonsense type guy that will bench guys for tunrovers and light a fire under the defenses asses.

Bowser

What's left to "use up" is the question? I don't see Vick returning to the Eagles, personally.

I'm surprised Vic Fangio doesn't get more mention considering the work he's done with the Niners defense.

The thing that makes me weary about Fangio is that the pieces were always there for the 49ers to have a very good defense and I don't think they were ever truly horrendous - the offense was always holding the 49ers back.

bionic77

Use him the way the Giants used Warner. To ease Eli's intro into the league. That is smart.

Now it turns out Kurt still had more left in the tank, questionable if Vick does, but that is how I would use him. As a stopgap until they found their real solution at qb.

What other options do they have? Free agency and get a scrub like Smith or be forced to draft a qb in a weak year? The latter is Browns thinking and look at how far that has gotten them.

Use him the way the Giants used Warner. To ease Eli's intro into the league. That is smart.

Now it turns out Kurt still had more left in the tank, questionable if Vick does, but that is how I would use him. As a stopgap until they found their real solution at qb.

What other options do they have? Free agency and get a scrub like Smith or be forced to draft a qb in a weak year? The latter is Browns thinking and look at how far that has gotten them.

My biggest fear by far is that they reach for Barkely at #5.

squicken

Does it make sense to go after a defensive coach in today's NFL?

I thought a lot about this when the Rams were in their coaching pursuit. There's no right answer, but in general I dislike DC's turnover aversion and its effect on young QBs. But you have to hope you hire the right guy. A big problem when hiring a young up and coming offensive mind is he can't attract good assistants. Granted that was supposed to be one of Fisher's selling points, and he ended up with lil' Schotty and Gregg Williams, so maybe it's no big deal. That's part of the worry with college coaches too. Will their staffs translate to pro athletes

bionic77

My biggest fear by far is that they reach for Barkely at #5.
Yeah it would be far smarter to keep Vick (assuming he resigns at the lower rate) and start rebuilding from the ground up. That way when a good qb comes around you can tank like the Colts did and they will be set for a few years.

The Eagles do have some good pieces on offense and defense, but they really need some more depth and some hits in the draft. O-line is probably biggest priority.

Run D has shown some flaws last couple of weeks. Bills ran well against them, Colts had some longer runs as well. Bill will probably attack Tannehill the same way he came after luck, send 5 guys at him all game and try to force a mistake.
I guess it partly depends on which Dolphins o-line shows up. Some weeks they are great, some weeks they can't block the guy in front of them to save their lives. Either way I'm sure you're right about Bill sending 5 guys consistently, so I expect to see a lot of designed roll-outs for Tannehill. I just have a feeling they are going to be playing from behind early and it's going to get ugly fast, just like with the Colts.

To be blunt about it though, if the Pats play even close to as well as they've been playing this game will be no contest. They will have to make some really dumb mistakes or be way off of their game for the Dolphins to have a shot.

bionic77 said:
Free agency and get a scrub like Smith or be forced to draft a qb in a weak year?
Smith has at least proven to be at minimum a decent game manager with the ability to actually finish an entire season. He would have to be handled much the same way that Harbaugh has handled him (i.e. limit what he does on the field) but if you're going with a stop gap while you bring up a young guy - you could do worse. The bigger question is who the young guy is? Foles? He hasn't shown much. Do you draft someone after this season? Or go into next season with the mindset that you're rebuilding with a stop gap guy until the next draft with hopefully better QB prospects?

Vick is a turnover and injury prone running QB that is guaranteed to miss 3-6 games a year. I don't see how that's an option moving forward.

I thought a lot about this when the Rams were in their coaching pursuit. There's no right answer, but in general I dislike DC's turnover aversion and its effect on young QBs. But you have to hope you hire the right guy. A big problem when hiring a young up and coming offensive mind is he can't attract good assistants. Granted that was supposed to be one of Fisher's selling points, and he ended up with lil' Schotty and Gregg Williams, so maybe it's no big deal. That's part of the worry with college coaches too. Will their staffs translate to pro athletes

I want a coach that will have an offensive and defensive identity, what ever that is. It is clear that Reid is 100% focused on the offense and he just lets the defense do its own thing. Each DC hired since JJ died has been worse then the guy before him, and this nonsense about hiring Washburn and forcing the wide 9 on a DC has set the team back for years. I want a coach that will be involved in both sides.

Bowser

Tulane is going to the big east? What the fuck college sports.

There's rumors that if the ACC does dissolve, UVA and UNC would go to the B1G. Yeah, cause it makes so much sense for UNC to schedule away games with Indiana, Wisconsin, Penn State, Ohio State, et al rather than Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, and Vanderbilt -______-

edit:

Wes Durham ‏@WesDurham
Just off the plane in Chicago...Navy to the ACC, Tulane to the Big East

L-O-FUCKING-L

Talon

There's rumors that if the ACC does dissolve, UVA and UNC would go to the B1G. Yeah, cause it makes so much sense for UNC to schedule away games with Indiana, Wisconsin, Penn State, Ohio State, et al rather than Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, and Vanderbilt -______-
At least UNC and UVA are great state schools academically. B1G would have three of the four best public academic programs (Michigan, UVA, UNC).

bionic77

Smith has at least proven to be at minimum a decent game manager with the ability to actually finish an entire season. He would have to be handled much the same way that Harbaugh has handled him (i.e. limit what he does on the field) but if you're going with a stop gap while you bring up a young guy - you could do worse. The bigger question is who the young guy is? Foles? He hasn't shown much. Do you draft someone after this season? Or go into next season with the mindset that you're rebuilding with a stop gap guy until the next draft with hopefully better QB prospects?

Vick is a turnover and injury prone running QB that is guaranteed to miss 3-6 games a year. I don't see how that's an option moving forward.
If you are rebuilding from scratch isn't that a good thing?

Wouldn't the worst thing for a rebuilding team be the guy that makes you better than you are when you are not very good to begin with?

Keep Vick, develop the two lines and try and get some splash players while figuring out who the future qb will be. And just hope you can build a great team the same time your franchise qb (whoever that is) starts to peak.

That seems better than winning 6-7 games with Smith and just treading water.

I wonder where VT would go?

eznark

Banned
Awesome, my dream of the B1G getting 20 teams and having one conference be all traditional Big 10 teams will soon be a reality!

Bowser

At least UNC and UVA are great state schools academically. B1G would have three of the four best public academic programs (Michigan, UVA, UNC).

Which is the only reason the "powers-that-be" are leaning towards the B1G. IMO, it's fucking stupid to ignore culture and geography. UNC and UVA were part of the old Southern Conference - 11 of the 14 original SC members are in the SEC. Adding UNC and UVA would make it 13 of the 14.

Not to mention that with a move to the B1G, UNC baseball, which has been heavily invested in (brand new stadium built within the past 5 years), would without a doubt die.

I wonder where VT would go?

SEC. Current rumors/thinking is UNC/UVA to B1G and Va. Tech and NCSU to SEC. Personally I want UNC to go to the SEC. Makes wayyy too much sense.

bionic77 said:
That seems better than winning 6-7 games with Smith and just treading water.
If the mindset is that you're rebuilding - who cares? You don't go into a rebuilding season with the expectation of coming away with 11 wins. I'm not advocating Smith, you just happened to mention him is all.

It really comes down to what Lurie feels the direction of the team is. If he's cleaning house from top to bottom - you have your answer and Vick isn't part of that with 18m due.

Draxal

Tulane is going to the big east? What the fuck college sports.

Big East is the new Conference USA. Just blame Swofford for starting this whole alignment jazz back in 2003.

SEC. Current rumors/thinking is UNC/UVA to B1G and Va. Tech and NCSU to SEC. Personally I want UNC to go to the SEC. Makes wayyy too much sense.

Money/Academics trump college football. I kinda see BC/ND going to BIG though, ACC has to be destroyed for NC to leave. Navy kinda makes sense for the ACC as they have scheduling issues due to ND.

jbug617

Banned

edit:

L-O-FUCKING-L

So the ACC chose Navy over UConn and Louisville. I know BC was the reason to keep UConn out for the last couple of years and I'm sure the academics in the end did them in.

Talon

Which is the only reason the "powers-that-be" are leaning towards the B1G. IMO, it's fucking stupid to ignore culture and geography. UNC and UVA were part of the old Southern Conference - 11 of the 14 original SC members are in the SEC. Adding UNC and UVA would make it 13 of the 14.

Not to mention that with a move to the B1G, UNC baseball, which has been heavily invested in (brand new stadium built within the past 5 years), would without a doubt die.
UVA's an interesting school. There's very much that old south vibe with the dressing up for football games and such, but Charlottesville is very much a liberal town. Weird mix of douchebags from rich families and smart kids from all across the eastern seaboard.

But, yeah, UNC's baseball would shrivel up and die in the B1G.

Both schools feel like ACC programs to me. SEC makes more sense in terms of athletics. B1G makes more sense in terms of academics.

Bowser

So the ACC chose Navy over UConn and Louisville. I know BC was the reason to keep UConn out for the last couple of years and I'm sure the academics in the end did them in.

It's not confirmed, but if this is true, it's truly fucking stupid. There are some rumors however of the ACC also looking to add UConn and Louisville in addition to Navy, so who knows.

jbug617

Banned
It's not confirmed, but if this is true, it's truly fucking stupid. There are some rumors however of the ACC also looking to add UConn and Louisville in addition to Navy, so who knows.

Still can't believe it's Maryland that possible killed the ACC. It was all good just a couple of months ago with Notre Dame joining the conference part time.

Bowser

UVA's an interesting school. There's very much that old south vibe with the dressing up for football games and such, but Charlottesville is very much a liberal town. Weird mix of douchebags from rich families and smart kids from all across the eastern seaboard.

But, yeah, UNC's baseball would shrivel up and die in the B1G.

Both schools feel like ACC programs to me. SEC makes more sense in terms of athletics. B1G makes more sense in terms of academics.

If you think about it, the new look SEC East would probably kick Missouri to the West and put UNC and UVA in their division. That gives you UGA, UF, Vanderbilt, UNC, UVA, UT, SCar, and Kentucky. Not the best academic division, but UF and Vanderbilt are both pretty good academic schools.

Top Bottom