• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Canadian teams in the NHL playoffs for the first time in 46 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/no-canadian-teams-nhl-playoffs-1.3513988

It's been a grim campaign for the NHL's seven Canadian-based clubs. Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg and Calgary occupy the bottom four spots in the Western Conference. Rebuilding Toronto is in the Eastern basement, and Montreal plummeted down the standings after an injury to reigning MVP Carey Price spoiled the Habs' excellent start.

Pretty much the only drama left as these teams slog to the finish line is who will finish dead last in the league and get the best chance of winning the draft lottery for the top overall pick.

The last time the NHL post-season was an all-American-team affair was in 1970. That was the year Boston's Bobby Orr scored his famous overtime winner to finish off St. Louis in the Stanley Cup final.

Since then, Canada has had at least two playoff clubs in all but two years: 2014, when Montreal made it to the Eastern final, and 1973, when the Canadiens won the Cup.

9EICNNe.png

McDougles

1. Shows Rogers for betting on the NHL while letting the Blue Jays hold tight on payroll. Ratings are going to tank for them.
2. Still more than half the league are Canadian players, anyways.

No_Style

I don't watch hockey but I am fascinated by the fact that so many Canadian teams are poor as of late. I keep asking my hockey friends why and they just don't know.

Misha

Banned
at least they have a shot at the world cup of hockey!

We'll try to not get crosby injured again before then

I don't watch hockey but I am fascinated by the fact that so many Canadian teams are poor as of late. I keep asking my hockey friends why and they just don't know.

there isn't any one reason.

calgary overachieved last year and are underachieving this year, edmonton has a horrible culture and still needs to make roster changes, toronto is rebuilding/tanking, montreal lost their best player to injury for half the year, winnipeg is a middling team in a very good division, vancouver has incompetent management

edit: just realized i forgot the senators existed. no idea what they're doing

Canadian players rather play in Murica

Cherry commented about Leafs having more American players while teams in the US had more Canadian players

darscot

I hate the salary cap and this bullshit that in Canada we pay way more to go to a game but we are not allowed a better product on the ice. As a Canucks fan I supported this team when they sucked and had no money and the big markets bought all the good players. Then we built our market and became a big team and the league said no no no, we cant have that you not allowed to invest all that cash in the product. The way the game is played now is you make the product so shity that you cant win a game then we just give you good players.

there isn't any one reason.

calgary overachieved last year and are underachieving this year, edmonton has a horrible culture and still needs to make roster changes, toronto is rebuilding/tanking, montreal lost their best player to injury for half the year, winnipeg is a middling team in a very good division, vancouver has incompetent management

Add onto that the Low Canadian Dollar and we loose all of our good players to teams in the USA because they can just pay more, both in base salary and the conversion rate bonus

Misha

Banned
moving away from 6 divisions down to 4 with the huge amount of teams reduces the chances of a Canadian team going in now in this crowded league

when it was 6 divisions, you had Habs, Sens and Leafs in one. You had Nucks, Flames and Oilers in another with smaller divisions.

now with 4 big divisions, LOL too many teams

No, but there is the 2015-2016 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION WASHINGTON CAPITALS!!!

:D
Flyers are goign to send the Caps golfing early

UberTag

The Leafs aren't poor in the least.
They're the most profitable team in the league.

50% of the players in the playoffs are still Canadian tho

according to some guy on Reddit, I know nothing about hockey

mdubs

Banned
Excellent, if the Leafs can't go in, no one can.

I always cheer against the other Canadian teams cause I'm bitter and hope they lose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom