• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2007 MLB Thread - The quest for another .500 champion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Giants hate draft picks and they had 3 in the first round, no wonder they took someone way too early so they wouldn't have to spend money on him with their last pick. He has some upside, though.

I was hoping Brackman would fall past the Yankees, which would have meant the Red Sox could have taken him way later. Damn. He's a complete wild card, but if he doesn't need surgery he could be nasty good.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
1st Round

1) TB: David Price, LHP, Vanderbilt University
2) KC: Mike Moustakas, 3B, Chatsworth HS (CA)
3) CHC: Josh Vitters, 3B, Cypress HS (CA)
4) PIT: Daniel Moskos, LHP, Clemson
5) BAL: Matt Wieters, C, Georgia Tech
6) WAS: Ross Detwiler, LHP, Missouri State
7) MIL: Matt LaPorta, 1B, Florida
8) COL: Casey Weathers, RHP, Vanderbilt
9) ARZ: Jarrod Parker, RHP, Norwell HS (IN)
10) SF: Madison Bumgarner, LHP, South Caldwell HS (NC)
11) SEA: Phillippe Aumont, RHP, Ecole Du Versant Gatineau, Quebec
12) FLA: Matt Dominguez, 3B, Chatsworth HS
13) CLE: Beau Mills, 3B, Lewis-Clark State
14) ATL: Jason Heyward, Henry County HS (GA)
15) CIN: Devin Mesoraco, C, Punxsatawney HS (PA)
16) TOR: Kevin Ahrens, 3B, Memorial HS (TX)
17) TEX: Blake Beavan, RHP, Irving HS (TX)
18) STL: Peter Kozma, SS, Owasso HS (OK)
19) PHI: Joe Savery, LHP, Rice
20) LAD: Chris Withrow, RHP, Midland Christian HS (Texas)
21) TOR: J.P. Arencibia, C/1B, Tennessee
22) SF: Tim Alderson, RHP, Horizon HS, Scottsdale
23) SD: Nick Schmidt, LHP, Arkansas
24) TEX: Michael Main, RHP, Deland HS (FLA)
25) CWS: Aaron Poreda, LHP, University of San Francisco
26) OAK: James Simmons, RHP, UC Riverside
27) DET: Rick Porcello, RHP, Seton Hall Prep
28) MIN: Ben Revere, OF, Lexington Catholic HS (KTY)
29) SF: Wendell Fairley, OF, George County HS (MISS)
30) NYY: Andrew Brackman, RHP, North Carolina

Sickels on Heyward:

Georgia high school outfielder Jason Heyward is, for me at least, one of the most intriguing players in the draft. A lefthanded hitter with plus power potential, he's got solid tools all around...his worst tools are speed and arm strength, where he ranks as average. He has tons of power, and he has unusually good strike zone judgment for a high school hitter. He looks great to me on video, and I haven't heard anything negative about his makeup or work ethic. And he's one of the younger players available, not turning 18 until early August.

He's definitely a top ten prospect, but here's the thing about Heyward that really intrigues me. When I look over his scouting reports, and watch the video, and talk with people, I like him better all the time. In fact, I like him better than I like Vitters or Moustakas at this point. I think he's the best high school position player in the draft.

heyward_jason_.gif

The Brackman pick is high risk, high reward.
If he's healthy and can stay that way, he's better even than Porcello.

Harvey's still on the board, though. When does he go?

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
YAAAAY WE FINALLY WON AGAIN!

Collapse avoided. Schilling may be old and fat, but today's game was a perfect example of why we need him. He pitches big games when we really need him to.

jman2050

You win some, you lose some. That's baseball.

You will virtually have NO chance to get a no-hitter though. Therefore...

Thank you Shannon Stewart <3

and thank you Julio Lugo for giving Shannon Stewart another chance <3

Triumph

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Julio Lugo will be traded by next season.
The Sawx just can't seem to keep a short stop. But judging from how Renteria and Hanley handled it, Lugo should look forward to being traded.

Eric WK

Triumph Dolomite 1300cc said:
The Sawx just can't seem to keep a short stop. But judging from how Renteria and Hanley handled it, Lugo should look forward to being traded.

We only brought Hanley up at the end of 2005, though. It's not like he underproduced like Rentawreck did.

I'm still a bit bitter about losing him, but I'm not upset about having Beckett and Lowell on the roster.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Yep.

As for Kuntz, they should have drafted Phlap as well.

...omg llololol

painey

im an a's fan.. doesnt even feel like a loss.. breaking up a no hitter with 2 out in the 9th.. hilarious :lol :lol :lol :lol

Triumph

Banned
Eric WK said:
We only brought Hanley up at the end of 2005, though. It's not like he underproduced like Rentawreck did.

I'm still a bit bitter about losing him, but I'm not upset about having Beckett and Lowell on the roster.
Yeah, Renteria has just SUCKED since becoming a Brave. Enjoy Wily Mo Pena.

Eric WK

Yeah, Renteria has just SUCKED since becoming a Brave. Enjoy Wily Mo Pena.

When did I say anything about Renteria's performance as a Brave? He's had an amazing season. I was only talking about his performance in Boston, which was well below his career numbers and not nearly worth what it took to get him. He had 30 errors in '05.

LaPorta:

Boras' agency granted the Brewers permission to work out LaPorta in left field at Class A Brevard County last week. It was orchestrated by Manatees hitting coach Ken Berry, who won two Gold Gloves as an outfielder during his 14-year Major League career, and Brewers scout Charles Aliano, who is responsible for central Florida.

"We've had assurances from our Minor League staff that saw him work out that this would be something that he could do," Zduriencik said. "He's a real bright kid, he has quick feet and an average throwing arm, and they felt that in a short period of time this kid could make the adjustment."

LaPorta sounded ready to give it a try.

"I love playing in the outfield,"
he said. "I played a little in my freshman year of college, and it's fun out there."

brewers.com

As long as he can play LF, I love this pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom