• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official February 19th Primary/Caucus Thread (OBAMA wins so does McCain but really..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ConfusingJazz said:
So for the past couple days I have been doing some meetings with the Obama people to see how to help here in Texas, and what we have in Texas is confusing as hell.

I thought the different primary and caucus things were just different parts of the state, but I was wrong! Every precient in Texas has a primary, and a caucus that starts 15 minutes after the primary polls end and counts for a third of the vote. So...damned...weird.

this is going to wreak havoc with my attempts to follow up to the minute results on MSNBC, I just know it.

I might as well just go to bed early that night and check GAF in the morning

MiketheBSG said:
021608dailyupdategraph1.gif

:D

WHOA. That's pretty fucking massive.

Zeed

Banned
ConfusingJazz said:
So for the past couple days I have been doing some meetings with the Obama people to see how to help here in Texas, and what we have in Texas is confusing as hell.

I thought the different primary and caucus things were just different parts of the state, but I was wrong! Every precient in Texas has a primary, and a caucus that starts 15 minutes after the primary polls end and counts for a third of the vote. So...damned...weird.
What a shitty system. But Clinton supporters will probably be intimidated by the intelligence required to understand it. Still not a fan of the system, but it sounds like it might work to Obama's advantage.

Zeed said:
What a shitty system. But Clinton supporters will probably be intimidated by the intelligence required to understand it. Still not a fan of the system, but it sounds like it might work to Obama's advantage.

The ground campaign of Obama is much more significant and able to get this information out a hell of a better then Clinton can.

Zeed said:

caucuses in general work to Obama's advantage, since in an environment that facilitates intelligent discussion over just pulling a lever, the vast majority of the arguments are in his favor.

he's shown better judgment in office, is less divisive and is respected by the opposition (think ability to get things done), polls more favorably against the republican nominee, and quite frankly has demonstrated himself to be the better leader just by looking at how the two were running their campaigns. Obama's campaign planned for the long haul and was flush with the cash to do so- Clinton blew millions where it wasn't needed prior to super tuesday based on bad assumptions and had to loan her own campaign millions to stay competitive.

unless you're an elderly white woman, there's not a whole lot of tangible arguments in FAVOR of clinton at this point.

Rur0ni said:
Texas = Obama's

;)

I can picture damage control at Hillary's office frantically calling Louis Guzman right now for a counter endorsement :lol :lol

really? george lopez? how is this relevant

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
ConfusingJazz said:
The ground campaign of Obama is much more significant and able to get this information out a hell of a better then Clinton can.

i agree, austin alone has over 1000 vols for obama.. im gonna go door to door one night this week

Manmademan said:
I can picture damage control at Hillary's office frantically calling Louis Guzman right now for a counter endorsement :lol :lol

"Mr Lopez is well known for being the first Latino with a Named Network TV show, George Lopez."

Manmademan said:

A very well respected, latino, entertainer?

From wiki:
2005 — Recognized by Time magazine as one of "The 25 Most Influential Hispanics In America".

edit: also, it ensures a follow-up endorsement from Carlos Mencia.

StoOgE

Zeed said:
Good for you.

How about doing two nights? :D

Popularity doesn't count.

well, one of our precinct captains is having an open house, so im gonna try and get people to go to that, plus lots of calls for the texas two step (vote + caucus).

StopMakingSense said:
A very well respected, latino, entertainer?

From wiki:
2005 — Recognized by Time magazine as one of "The 25 Most Influential Hispanics In America".

eh, so many entertainers have already endorsed obama that another one isn't really going to make a difference, latino or no. I think he's already established himself as the choice of big hollywood at this point.

I'd think the union endorsement as well as the backing of prominent latino politicians (there was one that got a lot of coverage last week or so, the name escapes me.) would mean a lot more.

Do people REALLY base their votes around what sitcom actors and stand up comedians think? Really?

StoOgE

Manmademan said:
eh, so many entertainers have already endorsed obama that another one isn't really going to make a difference, latino or no.

I'd think the union endorsement as well as the backing of prominent latino politicians (there was one that got a lot of coverage last week or so, the name escapes me.) would mean a lot more.

Do people REALLY base their votes around what sitcom actors and stand up comedians think? Really?

my hispanic friends all think he is hilarious. i dont get it, and dont know how much influence he has, but he is extremely popular with hispanics here.

StoOgE said:
my hispanic friends all think he is hilarious. i dont get it, and dont know how much influence he has, but he is extremely popular with hispanics here.

he may very well be hilarious (I don't watch a lot of television...have only caught his show once or twice) but as a black man, I don't give a damn who dave chappelle or chris rock want to be president..."funny comedian" doesn't really carry a whole lot of weight when we're talking political opinions.

Samuel L. Jackson is a different story though.

Manmademan said:

I think its very important.

One of the largest problems Obama has had with the latino vote is just the fact that they don't really know who he is. Penetrating the latino media markets is very difficult for a non-latino newcomer.

I think Virginia is a good example of this, as Latinos, finally really getting a chance to be exposed to his message via his campaigning there came out for him in relatively equal support for him as they did for Hillary.

Manmademan said:
Samuel L. Jackson is a different story though.

SLJ crosses the racial and gender barriers, and a public endorsement by him would guarantee success

in fact, did SLJ endorse obama? that very well might possibly be why he's seeing all this success

StopMakingSense said:
I think its very important.

One of the largest problems Obama has had with the latino vote is just the fact that they don't really know who he is. Penetrating the latino media markets is very difficult for a non-latino newcomer.

I think Virginia is a good example of this, as Latinos, finally really getting a chance to be exposed to his message came out for him in elatively equal support for him as they did for Hillary.

There's a point I hadn't really considered. a lot of Obama's "draw" comes from the appeal of seeing/hearing the man speak, and it may not carry the same kind of weight (gravitas, if you will) if you're hearing him dubbed on univision or something.

If lopez's endorsement has the ability to get the message across to the spanish speaking audience in a way that the obama campaign hasn't been able to previously, then I'm all for it.

Macam

Banned
StoOgE said:
i agree, austin alone has over 1000 vols for obama.. im gonna go door to door one night this week

I'd offer my own time if I had any, though I suspect Obama will carry Austin's Democrats rather easily, given that this town leans left and likes underdogs (Ron Paul signs are actually increasing, even at this futile point). Any idea what his ground campaign is like in the other big cities like Dallas and Houston? I'm sure Incognito alone will take care of San Antonio.

Manmademan said:
There's a point I hadn't really considered. a lot of Obama's "draw" comes from the appeal of seeing/hearing the man speak, and it may not carry the same kind of weight (gravitas, if you will) if you're hearing him dubbed on univision or something.

It's something I saw a lot in California. My wife is Mexican, and really had no idea who Obama even was until I started exposing her to Obama's speeches and website and policies. Prior to that, she hadn't even heard of Obama, and she is a very well educated latte swilling liberal (lol doesn't count). And its not the 'latino media' that is the issue with that either. My wife doesn't listen/watch to any of that. All her information about politics comes from talking to her family about their thoughts and opinions. It's getting into THAT sphere of discussion with latino communities that is very difficult, and takes a lot of direct communication.

sangreal

gluv65 said:
I posted about Hilary stealing all of BO's words from his speech and using them in her own. Now they say imitation is the greatest form of flattery but this is just flatout "fuck it, it worked for him"

Yes We Will

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRQD-MsSpfI&eurl=http://www.bgol.us/board/showthread.php?t=239222
:lol :lol

I read about that, but this is the first time I've seen the video (terrible quality, btw)

The crowd isn't into it at all, and it sounds like she is just making fun of him

zou

sangreal said:
:lol :lol

I read about that, but this is the first time I've seen the video (terrible quality, btw)

The crowd isn't into it at all, and it sounds like she is just making fun of him

Oh wow, the only one chanting was Billary.

mj1108

Manmademan said:

It's not the fact that he's an actor, it's the fact that he's latino.

duketogo88 said:
:lol I wonder how retarded she felt after chanting that like 8 times and getting zero crowd response.

I certainly hope she went backstage and slapped the focus group that came up with THAT bright idea. :lol

Zeed

Banned
Manmademan said:
I certainly hope she went backstage and slapped the focus group that came up with THAT bright idea. :lol
I bet she was scratching her head afterwards wondering why it didn't work for her.

Zeed

Banned
sangreal said:
Man, that Yes We Can video is up to over 13 million views between youtube and dipdive
Can someone rip me the highest quality video/audio of it? Is Dipdive the best? I need it for...something.

EDIT: Yeah it seems Dipdive has the best quality. Now I just need the direct FLV file...

sangreal

This woman just made some comment about how Clinton won't be "voting present'

I hope this issue comes up again on Thursdays debate and Obama calls her out for skipping the FISA vote.

Hillary taking the stage now

Hootie

sangreal said:
Dem event going on in WI right now on CSPAN. I understand Obama/Clinton are in attendance. I hope Obama speaks. LT Gov giving some endorsement speech for Hillary right now

Oh noes, Hildog is speaking right now.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
holllyyy shit at clinton

she just keeps yanking talking points from obama - the whole i have a chance my parents didn't. she's talking about the american dream

omg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom